Legacy Audio Speakers - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #541 of 560 Old 10-31-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hi Legacy owners,

I was looking at the legacies and had few questions:

I am looking for some distortion free/very low distortion speakers that sound good when playing at reference.

As I am mainly a movie guy my concerns surround movies. I am looking at the Silver Screen HD center for starters as that is where most of the movie content/vocals come from.

Can the Silver Screen HD play at reference levels (85 db with 20 db peaks) with very little/no distortion? Please tell my your experience with this Legacy speaker or any other Legacy center channel and the previous speaker you used before legacy and how they compared. Am I expecting too much from the Silver Screen HD?

Some history:
I started with Triad Gold Classics as my LCR and they are rated at 90 db sensitivity (use 2 6.5" woofers and a soft dome tweeter in a dispersion lens). They can take up to 200 watts maximum. However when I hit volumes of 10 db below reference or higher I start to hear distortion that I do not like. I do like the sound of the Traids but they distort way too early before hitting reference.

I have a treated, dedicated and sealed HT room measuring 11' wide x 17.5' long x 7.5' tall. MLP is about 8 feet from the LCR speakers. I use the Emotiva XMC-1 processor, ATI 1506 amps 150 watts per channel 8 ohms and Sunfire Cinema Grand 200 watts per channel 8 ohms.

I then purchased a JTR 228 2014 to use as a center for testing and it plays loud at reference with very low distortion but is a different sound as compared to my Triads. Hard to say the difference but perhaps my Triads had a sweeter sound with their soft dome tweeter.

Wondering if the Silver Screen HD can produce a low/no distortion sound at reference volume levels (85 db + 20 db peaks) and also be sweet sounding as the Triads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 560 Old 11-09-2015, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Legacy Wavelet

Thinking about getting the Wavelet processer for my Aeris speakers. Any thoughts on it as a balanced preamp?
post #543 of 560 Old 11-09-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Hi Legacy owners,

I was looking at the legacies and had few questions:

I am looking for some distortion free/very low distortion speakers that sound good when playing at reference.

As I am mainly a movie guy my concerns surround movies. I am looking at the Silver Screen HD center for starters as that is where most of the movie content/vocals come from.

Can the Silver Screen HD play at reference levels (85 db with 20 db peaks) with very little/no distortion? Please tell my your experience with this Legacy speaker or any other Legacy center channel and the previous speaker you used before legacy and how they compared. Am I expecting too much from the Silver Screen HD?

Some history:
I started with Triad Gold Classics as my LCR and they are rated at 90 db sensitivity (use 2 6.5" woofers and a soft dome tweeter in a dispersion lens). They can take up to 200 watts maximum. However when I hit volumes of 10 db below reference or higher I start to hear distortion that I do not like. I do like the sound of the Traids but they distort way too early before hitting reference.

I have a treated, dedicated and sealed HT room measuring 11' wide x 17.5' long x 7.5' tall. MLP is about 8 feet from the LCR speakers. I use the Emotiva XMC-1 processor, ATI 1506 amps 150 watts per channel 8 ohms and Sunfire Cinema Grand 200 watts per channel 8 ohms.

I then purchased a JTR 228 2014 to use as a center for testing and it plays loud at reference with very low distortion but is a different sound as compared to my Triads. Hard to say the difference but perhaps my Triads had a sweeter sound with their soft dome tweeter.

Wondering if the Silver Screen HD can produce a low/no distortion sound at reference volume levels (85 db + 20 db peaks) and also be sweet sounding as the Triads.
I'm using the Silverscreen HD as my center channel in a hometheater set up. It is used with a Bryston 9BSST/2. When I'm home alone I will crank it. So far the amp hasn't clipped. The Bryston is 150 watts 8 ohms and 200 watts 4 ohms. Not sure what the db level is when cranked.....But I don't think you'll have problems with the speaker clipping vs the amp clipping first. You should go listen to the Silverscreen HD and see if the sound meets your needs. Comparing it with the Triads is the way to go.

I have Paridgim 300 cc which is in a second home theater system. Both The Paridgim and the Legacy are bi-wired. The Legacy just blows the Paridgim away. But then again the Legacy cost about $1000 more.
post #544 of 560 Old 12-13-2015, 06:22 AM

Liked: 11
Hello Legacy Lover's,

I currently own the Sig SE's (Pre-AMT) , Silverscreen center and two Metro subs. All driven by Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-3 and using the Onkyo SC-5508 pre / pro and Oppo 95. Had this system for almost three years and is an incredible sound system for 2.2 and 5.2 sound.

But it's time to upgrade! Currently in discussion with Legacy for the Focus SE's, Marquis center and two Subs!! I am sold on the mains and center but not 100% on the Legacy subs (Point One or Extreme HD) since I have never audition them. I am a great believer in dual or quad subs and I just want to complement the Focus SE's with the best suited subs with out over spending or overkill.

Is there anyone in the Legacy Audio world that perhaps could guide or convince me with the Point One or Extreme HD who have some listening experience with them? Which sub is better or sufficient for my system? I am not a great audio technical guy but I know what great sound, sounds like!

I do not have a dedicated listening room but its size is 25 x 16 x 9 feet that opens up to the kitchen area The system is along the long wall.

Thank you
Andre
post #545 of 560 Old 12-13-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre58 View Post
Hello Legacy Lover's,

I currently own the Sig SE's (Pre-AMT) , Silverscreen center and two Metro subs. All driven by Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-3 and using the Onkyo SC-5508 pre / pro and Oppo 95. Had this system for almost three years and is an incredible sound system for 2.2 and 5.2 sound.

But it's time to upgrade! Currently in discussion with Legacy for the Focus SE's, Marquis center and two Subs!! I am sold on the mains and center but not 100% on the Legacy subs (Point One or Extreme HD) since I have never audition them. I am a great believer in dual or quad subs and I just want to complement the Focus SE's with the best suited subs with out over spending or overkill.

Is there anyone in the Legacy Audio world that perhaps could guide or convince me with the Point One or Extreme HD who have some listening experience with them? Which sub is better or sufficient for my system? I am not a great audio technical guy but I know what great sound, sounds like!

I do not have a dedicated listening room but its size is 25 x 16 x 9 feet that opens up to the kitchen area The system is along the long wall.

Thank you
Andre
My question is not about your subs but your Onkyo PRSC 5508. Did you experience the lose of the IDE cable? Then the HDMI board goes bad. Onkyo gave me $230 towards the purchase of PRSC 5530. I had it for 6 weeks and it started acting up. Seems to me the relays won't switch. Onkyo customer service is terrible. I drop my PRSC5530 off at a servic center. They had it for a month and replaced the HDMI board. Still have the same problem. Trying to get Onkyo,fix,replace or give me my money back.

I have the Aeris and with the Wavelenght processor and you don't need subs. I'm looking to get Legacy's new processor.

There are many great subs out there. Rhythmic,SVS,some of the higher priced Earthquake subs. Then you can get up to the price of the Extremes, JL Fathom and others. I would start with 2 & then decide if more is needed. Your gonna have 6,12 inch just with the speakers. Good luck!
post #546 of 560 Old 12-13-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjski View Post
My question is not about your subs but your Onkyo PRSC 5508. Did you experience the lose of the IDE cable? Then the HDMI board goes bad. Onkyo gave me $230 towards the purchase of PRSC 5530. I had it for 6 weeks and it started acting up. Seems to me the relays won't switch. Onkyo customer service is terrible. I drop my PRSC5530 off at a servic center. They had it for a month and replaced the HDMI board. Still have the same problem. Trying to get Onkyo,fix,replace or give me my money back.

I have the Aeris and with the Wavelenght processor and you don't need subs. I'm looking to get Legacy's new processor.

There are many great subs out there. Rhythmic,SVS,some of the higher priced Earthquake subs. Then you can get up to the price of the Extremes, JL Fathom and others. I would start with 2 & then decide if more is needed. Your gonna have 6,12 inch just with the speakers. Good luck!
Yes I have had twp issues with my Onkyo 5508. One for volume control and the other was the HDMI switching issue. Both covered 100% by Onkyo and they changed the HDMI mother board for it. The 5508 has been working issue free for the last 1.5 years.
post #547 of 560 Old 12-13-2015, 07:18 AM

Yeah they would replace the HDMI board because in most units built around that time the board fails. They extended warrenties for the board till I believe summer 2016 or you could do what I did take the $230 & get a new one that is possessed.

I think if Legacy is giving you a deal on the extreme then go for it. If not look around. I think that's $5000 sub depending on finish.
post #548 of 560 Old 12-13-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah they would replace the HDMI board because in most units built around that time the board fails. They extended warrenties for the board till I believe summer 2016 or you could do what I did take the $230 & get a new one that is possessed.

I think if Legacy is giving you a deal on the extreme then go for it. If not look around. I think that's $5000 sub depending on finish.
Yea $4500 for Premium finish on the Extreme. Believe the cosmetics have a lot to do with the price. I need performance. Thanks
post #549 of 560 Old 12-13-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Yea $4500 for Premium finish on the Extreme. Believe the cosmetics have a lot to do with the price. I need performance. Thanks
I'd look at the JL Fantom 113
post #550 of 560 Old 12-13-2015, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I finally got away from the generic AVR's with built in amps. Every one I had gave me problems. Had a Denon 4520 and an Integra DTR 7.9 (Onkyo). The 4520 had major board issues. Zone 2 quit. The Integra went DOA... won't turn on, just hear a relay constantly switching.

Replaced everything with Emotiva using the XMC-1 processor and all separate amps.

Still have some HDMI issues but it's not the processor's fault. HDMI handshakes are not the greatest for changing sources.

See My System Here
Processor: Emotiva XMC-1
R/C/L Amps... (3) Emotiva XPR-1's (1750w x 3 = 5250w)
Surround Amps: Emotiva XPA-5 G2 (200 x 4 = 800w) not using 5th
10050 watts total power.
post #551 of 560 Old 12-13-2015, 09:12 AM

The PRSC 5530 is a preamp the amp is a bryston 9bsst/2 running balanced in one of my home theaters. Problem with hometheater the preamp is 70% computer. I should have bought the new Emotive home theater preamp. The other option was to get a Bryston which has no feature but great sound however $$$$.

I thought of getting the Marantz 8802A but the service center claimed they use many of the same parts as the Onkyo and Marrantz customer service worse than Onkyo. As I said that was the service centers claim not mine.

Using all separates in my 2 channel system which includes a Bat preamp and Bryston 7BSST/2 along with the Aeris. How go you like the Emotves compared to the 14B?
post #552 of 560 Old 12-13-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Hello Legacy Lover's,

Thank you
Andre
For subs look into these:

http://www.funkaudio.ca/
http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...4736?&trail=20
http://jtrspeakers.com/ (base finish on these is pretty plain but custom finishes are available for a small upcharge)

There are obviously others but these are all excellent choices.
NextLevel217 and Red99 like this.
post #553 of 560 Old 12-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
The PRSC 5530 is a preamp the amp is a bryston 9bsst/2 running balanced in one of my home theaters. Problem with hometheater the preamp is 70% computer. I should have bought the new Emotive home theater preamp. The other option was to get a Bryston which has no feature but great sound however $$$$.

I thought of getting the Marantz 8802A but the service center claimed they use many of the same parts as the Onkyo and Marrantz customer service worse than Onkyo. As I said that was the service centers claim not mine.

Using all separates in my 2 channel system which includes a Bat preamp and Bryston 7BSST/2 along with the Aeris. How go you like the Emotves compared to the 14B?
The Emotiva XMC-1 runs Linux

See My System Here
Processor: Emotiva XMC-1
R/C/L Amps... (3) Emotiva XPR-1's (1750w x 3 = 5250w)
Surround Amps: Emotiva XPA-5 G2 (200 x 4 = 800w) not using 5th
10050 watts total power.
post #554 of 560 Old 12-13-2015, 03:47 PM

Reaaly need to hear from operators that have either the Legacy Point One's or the Extreme HD subs.
post #555 of 560 Old 01-19-2016, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
finally got off my butt and hung my Phantom HDs.....my back hurts now haha....
post #556 of 560 Old 01-19-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Reaaly need to hear from operators that have either the Legacy Point One's or the Extreme HD subs.
I think you can get better value looking at Seaton for example....the legacy stuff is nice but a bit pricey on the sub side....
post #557 of 560 Old 01-24-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutler View Post
I think you can get better value looking at Seaton for example....the legacy stuff is nice but a bit pricey on the sub side....
Cutler, what speakers are you currently listening to?
post #558 of 560 Old 01-24-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Cutler, what speakers are you currently listening to?
I have legacy Focus SE, Marquis center, Studio HD(side channels) and Phantom HDs for rears.....I have 4 Seaton Submersive f2s(two slave/active combos) on LFE duty....putting the room back together then need to set it up....long process as we just got hit by Jonas....32" of snow...
post #559 of 560 Old 01-26-2016, 03:11 PM

Cutler, I hope the snow doesn't wear you out since to need to put your audio room together!

I am currently upgrading my current Legacy system to the Focus SE's, Marquis and Point One sub. Gear is being built and ready sometime in Feb. The sub I am upgrading to 1000w exactly the same as the Extreme but in Point one cosmetics. probably getting another sub down the road.
post #560 of 560 Old 03-02-2016, 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=lateralgs;21746566]Hey, Jason:

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by the standard cherry veneer. Many of the pics I've seen of that veneer, including some at Legacy's own site, are really not representative of the "in person" tonality, at least not for the pair I have! In other pics, the cherry tends to look "washed out," yellowish, or even pinkish. Not attractive at all. So I was very happy to see the significantly more "lush" tonality and graining in the veneer. Very nice really. And the main reason I purchased the Sigs with the cherry veneer was pure cost! I do like the look of the other finishes very much as well. They do a good job at the price points for their speakers.

I will note, however, that the low-rez pics I posted above do tend to make the finish look slightly warmer than it really is. I'll get some better pics posted as soon as I can.

Also, one final word about the pics. The frontal images are a little distorted proportionally by the lens in the phone. The speakers are actually significantly more slender in frontal appearance than they appear in those shots. Less substantial looking, yes, but also a tad more graceful looking, too, much the same way a gazelle looks more graceful than a tiger!

My listening room is a little smaller than the dimensions you listed. It is almost 14' by 12', but has 9' ceilings with a truncated and vaulted ceiling and a 16" x 6' recess in the middle of one short wall, which is where I have my equipment rack, set back a bit and between the speakers. I estimate total room volume at around 1,600 cubic feet.

As for the differences between initial sound and after my 72+ hours of break-in, I can't say, because I had them covered up and facing each other and wired out of phase during that break-in period.

I can tell you I generally prefer acoustic suspension ("sealed box") bass over ported ("bass reflex") sound. And I do mean that very generally. Well executed designs of either type can sound excellent of course. It's just that in my experience I have heard the type of bass I prefer more often in acoustic suspension designs than in ported designs. I have not heard the Focus SEs at all, but I have read about how good their bass is. In my room, the Sigs (which are acoustic suspension of course) are fine and do not overload the room at all. I think the irregular shape of the ceiling and the basic dimensions of the room help in avoiding peaks and nulls, generally, as the bass performance in this room seems fairly consistent as you move about the room.

That said, if it's in the recording, the Sigs will reproduce it, albeit for the very very lowest few Hz or sound effects perhaps. The bass reproduction can be powerful, punchy, deep, and controlled. Having said that, I imagine those who are accustomed to truly great subwoofer performance and who listen to a lot of heavy bass content or explosive sound effects might find themselves wanting more, and it's true good subs can provide an overall sense of ease to the sound. But I can tell you that in my smallish room and listening only to music, I don't feel I'm really missing anything I want or need in the bass with these Sigs.

The other night I listened to the "Demon Days" disc by Gorillaz, expressly to see how the Sigs would handle the relatively prodigious bass content in some of the cuts thereon, including "Feel Good Inc." and "Kids With Guns." Reproduction was very very respectable. At a volume that was nearly all I could take, it was deep and punchy and very well controlled. I thought I could just begin to hear a little stress but it was difficult for me to tell if it was my amp or perhaps the 7" mid-woofer driver. I might have even been imagining it. When I sat in the middle chair (a true, finely adjusted sweet spot, as in that chair your head is around 7.5' to 8' from the speaker fronts), I didn't notice it at all. When I moved to the right chair, more nearly in front of the right speaker, to allow my wife to have a listen, is when I thought I MIGHT have heard that tiniest bit of distress. But again, I'm not really sure anything was there, or whether it might have been on the recording itself, etc. And to really stress the point, although I often listen "loud," this was at a level that I would not listen very long at all, and the rest of the reproduction was absolutely pristine. With these things, when you crank the loud knob, all you get is more sound. There isn't a change in character to the sound, it just gets louder.

On the other end of the volume spectrum, I am very pleased so far with the performance of the speakers at lower levels as well. Microdynamics are very good and reveal a lot of detail in a very informative yet not at all edgy way, at any volume, actually, at least not in my system. The ribbons are just silly quick, and you benefit on trailing edges of dynamics as well as leading edges as a result of that quickness.

For the record, I'm running a McCormack UDP-1 universal disc player as my main source, through a Wyred4Sound STP-SE preamp, feeding a vintage PS Audio 100C dual mono stereo amp rated at 200wpc into 4 ohms.

The response is very smooth but also very transparent and detailed. I replaced a pair of Thiel CS3.5's with these Sigs, known for their transparency and rendering of detail (some have called them "etched" and "bright" but I have found this not to be the case with my electronics). The Sigs are superior in rendering of detail and in their transparency, but remember my Thiels are about 25 years old, and all original! And they still sound very good. It is high praise in my book that the Sigs can best them in these particulars.

Dynamic swings with the Sigs are just a joy. Listen to Stanley Clarke's 2007 release "The Toys of Men." He plays several solo cuts on the stand-up bass as well as some nice punchy electric stuff. On one of the acoustic solo cuts, he gets into some serious plucking and string slapping on the neck of the bass, and the dynamics will make you jump! Very impressive.

I have heard more detail in things like the resonating of a glass slide on an electric guitar's strings where the slide is not completely compressed against the neck, or in the leading attack of a drumstick head striking a symbol or the head of a snare, etc, than I could ever make out with the Thiels. Again, in my book, that's high praise.

I could go on (and probably will as I listen more!), but you get the drift. At the price for these, they are very impressive indeed.

I will say, however, I am impressed enough with them that, perhaps a little like Andre, I am now wondering how long it might be before I get an itch for the Focus SEs!

Cheers,
Steve[/QUOTE

Steve, I hope you remember me with the Sig's a couple years back. But I could not take it anymore and upgraded to the Focus SE, Marquis center and a Point One sub but with a 1KW amp. All I can say is WOW. The difference from the Sig's is better upper clarity, and big bass extension. I thought I knew what bass was with the two Metro subs but this system is just incredible!

I hope you are doing well! I haven't heard much from Dennis Markley anymore and hope he is doing good as well.

Andre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	1290505  
Cutler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags