Legacy Audio Speakers - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 36Likes
post #631 of 647 Unread 11-14-2016, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
Hey sunPin, how's the setup coming with your Legacy's?

Kinda got stalled out the past two weeks because they didn't send me the right mounting screws twice in a row lol. I got them now so I'll be mounting them this week.

In the meantime, they've been sitting on boxes and are sounding great. Got the soundstage thing figured out when Rob from Legacy told me to line up the woofers instead of the tweeters. I didn't believe that would do it but it did.

Once I get them mounted so everything is properly positioned, I'll report back. So far, they're amazing.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 647 Unread 11-14-2016, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm glad to hear that everything is starting to come together for you. The Legacy line up is amazing and for some reason they just don't get the credit they deserve. Looking on some of the other forums you find little, if anything about Legacy. I just don't understand that.
post #633 of 647 Unread 11-14-2016, 01:40 PM

Legacy Audio Speakers

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that everything is starting to come together for you. The Legacy line up is amazing and for some reason they just don't get the credit they deserve. Looking on some of the other forums you find little, if anything about Legacy. I just don't understand that.

I think it's an availability thing. They are difficult to audition (they have very few dealers, and even fewer with representative stock). And there are few reviews by established outlets for a lot of the lineup, especially for specialized stuff like the Silhouettes.

It was very difficult for me to audition any Legacy product. I ended up having to audition Signature SEs in New York (the dealer played Transformers off of YouTube lol) to help me make a decision about the Silhouettes, which are pretty different from one another. I live in TX.

In comparison, I can audition Wisdom, Golden Ear, Totem, Dynaudio, B&W, Sonus Faber, DefTech, Magnapan, Revel, and Paradigm all within 30 minutes from my house.

I think if more people could hear Legacy products, and hear them in flattering environments, more people would talk about and buy them.

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3

Last edited by sunPin; 11-14-2016 at 01:45 PM.
post #634 of 647 Unread 11-14-2016, 02:58 PM

I agree and hopefully more dealers will climb on board. I'm actually going out to Springfield in a couple of weeks to spend some time with Bill and Doug and talk about a few things. I also want to hear the new Calibre and see how it compares to the Studio HD's.

The only two brands that you have on your list that I would EVEN consider would be the Sonus Faber, or the Revel's, and I'm not real sure about that, over all, at the same price point the Legacy offer a better value and sound just as good (if not better) than the competition... Of course this is just MHO, but since I'm the one writing the check, then that's all that matters..

Last edited by cb5300; 11-14-2016 at 05:42 PM.
post #635 of 647 Unread 11-14-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I agree and hopefully more dealers will climb on board. I'm actually going out to Springfield in a couple of weeks to spend some time with Bill and Doug and talk about a few things. I also want to hear the new Calibre and see how it compares to the Studio HD's.

The only two brands that you have on your list that I would EVEN consider would be the Sonus Faber, or the Revel's, and I'm not real that sure about that, over all, at the same price point the Legacy offer a better value and sound just as good (if not better) than the competition... Of course this is just MHO, but since I'm the one writing the check, then that's all that matters..

I agree, but few people will put in the effort required to hear Legacy's stuff and come to a conclusion about it. I bought mine sound-unheard, which few people will risk doing at that price point. Need more ways/places to audition them!

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #636 of 647 Unread 11-14-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
I agree, but few people will put in the effort required to hear Legacy's stuff and come to a conclusion about it. I bought mine sound-unheard, which few people will risk doing at that price point. Need more ways/places to audition them!
Yeah, I drove all the way to NY to pick up my Legacys. A lot of miles have gone into this hobby, I wish that there was better shops near me. I just refuse to accept that Best Buy is the store to buy stereo equipment from. Anyway, I really love my Legacy and have enjoy the heck out of them., so maybe people like us can spread the word about Legacy and help push their brand.
post #637 of 647 Unread 11-14-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I drove all the way to NY to pick up my Legacys. A lot of miles have gone into this hobby, I wish that there was better shops near me. I just refuse to accept that Best Buy is the store to buy stereo equipment from. Anyway, I really love my Legacy and have enjoy the heck out of them., so maybe people like us can spread the word about Legacy and help push their brand.

I think the best way to do that is to encourage (extreme extreme vetted) people to come hear them in our homes. Seriously tho, home auditions are the best auditions of all, imo.

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #638 of 647 Unread 11-14-2016, 06:12 PM

I agree, that's why I offered Doug to let anybody that wanted to hear the Focus SE's or Studio HD's to contact me for an audition. Of course I only use my Legacy in a 2.0 system. I'm really old school, I'm driving the Legacys with a Marantz 2500 that has been rebuilt from the chassis up. It sure does make those Focus sing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Family Room System 1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	1770409  
post #639 of 647 Unread 11-18-2016, 05:42 AM

Finally got the Silhouette Pros up on the wall. They sound amazing.

But my sub has died. I think I was driving it too hard trying to make it keep up with the Silhouettes. Doh.

One unintended consequence: It's pretty loud on the other side of the wall. The mechanical transfer through the wall is significant. Which is kind of a problem for me because my kids' room is on the other side! Oh well

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #640 of 647 Unread 11-18-2016, 11:25 AM

sunPin, if you put that Legacy Xtreme XD sub inline, you'd be in "high cotten" ....
post #641 of 647 Unread 11-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Hey mtrot,
How are you coming along with your system...Have you had a chance for an in home audition with the Focus SE's and Aeris yet? I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.
post #642 of 647 Unread 11-19-2016, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Hey mtrot,
How are you coming along with your system...Have you had a chance for an in home audition with the Focus SE's and Aeris yet? I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.
No, I'm first going to research, evaluate, and purchase better speaker cables before purchasing new speakers. I just feel like my current cable setup is not very good, and I want to be sure I have an excellent speaker cable (that sets a baseline) in place before I make a move on speakers.

post #643 of 647 Unread 11-20-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
No, I'm first going to research, evaluate, and purchase better speaker cables before purchasing new speakers. I just feel like my current cable setup is not very good, and I want to be sure I have an excellent speaker cable (that sets a baseline) in place before I make a move on speakers.
Let me know how that works out for you...I've always wondered about the "speaker wire thing", but I've got a couple of buddies that retired from the services (one Navy and the other Air Force) and both worked in Electronics/Communications. Both say that if you have 100% O2 free, virgin copper wire with good shielding/insulation than you're good to go, anything else is just "snake oil".

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts and to see what works out for you.
sunPin likes this.
post #644 of 647 Unread Today, 07:34 PM

Got a PSA 15V to go with the Silhouettes and oooooh baby. Audyssey crossed them over at 40hz. The Silhouettes now sing at 104dbC peak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #645 of 647 Unread Today, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Got a PSA 15V to go with the Silhouettes and oooooh baby. Audyssey crossed them over at 40hz. The Silhouettes now sing at 104dbC peak.
Don't trust the auto crossover frequency.
post #646 of 647 Unread Today, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Don't trust the auto crossover frequency.

How do you find the right crossover? Or do you just set it to 80hz and forget it?

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #647 of 647 Unread Today, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
How do you find the right crossover? Or do you just set it to 80hz and forget it?
I take measurements of the speakers and sub separately and then combined at various crossover frequencies, and I do a good amount of listening. Then, I pick something that sounds good and measures good.

For me, that turned out to be 100hz. That is specific to my subs, speakers, and room, though.

Without taking the time to do all this stuff, I would recommend 80hz.

Audyssey's automatic crossover algorithm produces pretty random results. Audyssey has its strengths, but that is one of its weaknesses.

BTW, it's critical to get the time/phase alignment right at each crossover frequency before bothering with measurements or listening. The correct phase will produce the maximum output at the crossover frequency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Legacy Audio