Legacy Audio Speakers - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #631 of 693 Old 11-14-2016, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
Hey sunPin, how's the setup coming with your Legacy's?

Kinda got stalled out the past two weeks because they didn't send me the right mounting screws twice in a row lol. I got them now so I'll be mounting them this week.

In the meantime, they've been sitting on boxes and are sounding great. Got the soundstage thing figured out when Rob from Legacy told me to line up the woofers instead of the tweeters. I didn't believe that would do it but it did.

Once I get them mounted so everything is properly positioned, I'll report back. So far, they're amazing.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 693 Old 11-14-2016, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm glad to hear that everything is starting to come together for you. The Legacy line up is amazing and for some reason they just don't get the credit they deserve. Looking on some of the other forums you find little, if anything about Legacy. I just don't understand that.
post #633 of 693 Old 11-14-2016, 12:40 PM

Legacy Audio Speakers

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that everything is starting to come together for you. The Legacy line up is amazing and for some reason they just don't get the credit they deserve. Looking on some of the other forums you find little, if anything about Legacy. I just don't understand that.

I think it's an availability thing. They are difficult to audition (they have very few dealers, and even fewer with representative stock). And there are few reviews by established outlets for a lot of the lineup, especially for specialized stuff like the Silhouettes.

It was very difficult for me to audition any Legacy product. I ended up having to audition Signature SEs in New York (the dealer played Transformers off of YouTube lol) to help me make a decision about the Silhouettes, which are pretty different from one another. I live in TX.

In comparison, I can audition Wisdom, Golden Ear, Totem, Dynaudio, B&W, Sonus Faber, DefTech, Magnapan, Revel, and Paradigm all within 30 minutes from my house.

I think if more people could hear Legacy products, and hear them in flattering environments, more people would talk about and buy them.

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3

Last edited by sunPin; 11-14-2016 at 12:45 PM.

post #634 of 693 Old 11-14-2016, 01:58 PM

I agree and hopefully more dealers will climb on board. I'm actually going out to Springfield in a couple of weeks to spend some time with Bill and Doug and talk about a few things. I also want to hear the new Calibre and see how it compares to the Studio HD's.

The only two brands that you have on your list that I would EVEN consider would be the Sonus Faber, or the Revel's, and I'm not real sure about that, over all, at the same price point the Legacy offer a better value and sound just as good (if not better) than the competition... Of course this is just MHO, but since I'm the one writing the check, then that's all that matters..

Last edited by cb5300; 11-14-2016 at 04:42 PM.
post #635 of 693 Old 11-14-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I agree and hopefully more dealers will climb on board. I'm actually going out to Springfield in a couple of weeks to spend some time with Bill and Doug and talk about a few things. I also want to hear the new Calibre and see how it compares to the Studio HD's.

The only two brands that you have on your list that I would EVEN consider would be the Sonus Faber, or the Revel's, and I'm not real that sure about that, over all, at the same price point the Legacy offer a better value and sound just as good (if not better) than the competition... Of course this is just MHO, but since I'm the one writing the check, then that's all that matters..

I agree, but few people will put in the effort required to hear Legacy's stuff and come to a conclusion about it. I bought mine sound-unheard, which few people will risk doing at that price point. Need more ways/places to audition them!

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #636 of 693 Old 11-14-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
I agree, but few people will put in the effort required to hear Legacy's stuff and come to a conclusion about it. I bought mine sound-unheard, which few people will risk doing at that price point. Need more ways/places to audition them!
Yeah, I drove all the way to NY to pick up my Legacys. A lot of miles have gone into this hobby, I wish that there was better shops near me. I just refuse to accept that Best Buy is the store to buy stereo equipment from. Anyway, I really love my Legacy and have enjoy the heck out of them., so maybe people like us can spread the word about Legacy and help push their brand.
post #637 of 693 Old 11-14-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I drove all the way to NY to pick up my Legacys. A lot of miles have gone into this hobby, I wish that there was better shops near me. I just refuse to accept that Best Buy is the store to buy stereo equipment from. Anyway, I really love my Legacy and have enjoy the heck out of them., so maybe people like us can spread the word about Legacy and help push their brand.

I think the best way to do that is to encourage (extreme extreme vetted) people to come hear them in our homes. Seriously tho, home auditions are the best auditions of all, imo.

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #638 of 693 Old 11-14-2016, 05:12 PM

I agree, that's why I offered Doug to let anybody that wanted to hear the Focus SE's or Studio HD's to contact me for an audition. Of course I only use my Legacy in a 2.0 system. I'm really old school, I'm driving the Legacys with a Marantz 2500 that has been rebuilt from the chassis up. It sure does make those Focus sing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Family Room System 1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	1770409  
post #639 of 693 Old 11-18-2016, 04:42 AM

Finally got the Silhouette Pros up on the wall. They sound amazing.

But my sub has died. I think I was driving it too hard trying to make it keep up with the Silhouettes. Doh.

One unintended consequence: It's pretty loud on the other side of the wall. The mechanical transfer through the wall is significant. Which is kind of a problem for me because my kids' room is on the other side! Oh well

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #640 of 693 Old 11-18-2016, 10:25 AM

sunPin, if you put that Legacy Xtreme XD sub inline, you'd be in "high cotten" ....
post #641 of 693 Old 11-18-2016, 10:30 AM

Hey mtrot,
How are you coming along with your system...Have you had a chance for an in home audition with the Focus SE's and Aeris yet? I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.
post #642 of 693 Old 11-19-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Hey mtrot,
How are you coming along with your system...Have you had a chance for an in home audition with the Focus SE's and Aeris yet? I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.
No, I'm first going to research, evaluate, and purchase better speaker cables before purchasing new speakers. I just feel like my current cable setup is not very good, and I want to be sure I have an excellent speaker cable (that sets a baseline) in place before I make a move on speakers.

FAMILY ROOM SYSTEM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers, PSB Image 5T tower speakers, Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, Oppo BDP-83 universal disc player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo DV 980H DVD player, Panasonic DMP DT210 Blu-ray player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #643 of 693 Old 11-20-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
No, I'm first going to research, evaluate, and purchase better speaker cables before purchasing new speakers. I just feel like my current cable setup is not very good, and I want to be sure I have an excellent speaker cable (that sets a baseline) in place before I make a move on speakers.
Let me know how that works out for you...I've always wondered about the "speaker wire thing", but I've got a couple of buddies that retired from the services (one Navy and the other Air Force) and both worked in Electronics/Communications. Both say that if you have 100% O2 free, virgin copper wire with good shielding/insulation than you're good to go, anything else is just "snake oil".

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts and to see what works out for you.
sunPin likes this.
post #644 of 693 Old 11-26-2016, 06:34 PM

Got a PSA 15V to go with the Silhouettes and oooooh baby. Audyssey crossed them over at 40hz. The Silhouettes now sing at 104dbC peak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #645 of 693 Old 11-26-2016, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Got a PSA 15V to go with the Silhouettes and oooooh baby. Audyssey crossed them over at 40hz. The Silhouettes now sing at 104dbC peak.
Don't trust the auto crossover frequency.
post #646 of 693 Old 11-26-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Don't trust the auto crossover frequency.

How do you find the right crossover? Or do you just set it to 80hz and forget it?

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #647 of 693 Old 11-26-2016, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
How do you find the right crossover? Or do you just set it to 80hz and forget it?
I take measurements of the speakers and sub separately and then combined at various crossover frequencies, and I do a good amount of listening. Then, I pick something that sounds good and measures good.

For me, that turned out to be 100hz. That is specific to my subs, speakers, and room, though.

Without taking the time to do all this stuff, I would recommend 80hz.

Audyssey's automatic crossover algorithm produces pretty random results. Audyssey has its strengths, but that is one of its weaknesses.

BTW, it's critical to get the time/phase alignment right at each crossover frequency before bothering with measurements or listening. The correct phase will produce the maximum output at the crossover frequency.
sunPin likes this.
post #648 of 693 Old 12-11-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
mtrot, how's that cable research coming along? I really would like to hear whatever it is you find out...
post #649 of 693 Old 12-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Quote:
mtrot, how's that cable research coming along? I really would like to hear whatever it is you find out...
https://www.google.com/amp/www.zdnet...speaker-cable/
kma100 likes this.
post #650 of 693 Old 12-11-2016, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's very interesting that you wrote this today! I just took delivery of a new set of speaker cables this week. I've always been a pretty skeptical sort, when it comes to things like cables and other tweaks. For the last 5 years or so, I have had my Signature IIs bi-wired, with Morrow Audio SP-2 on the high frequency terminals and an old set of thick, stranded Esoteric Audio cables on the low frequency terminals. My initial and continuing impression of the Morrows was that they sounded good, but I was never satisfied with the dynamic prowess, or lack thereof.

Well, let me tell you, these new cables have transformed my Signature IIs! My, oh my, the sound that is coming out of my speakers! Music is just pouring out of them. Every aspect of sound that I can think of is improved. Everything is now so much more dynamic, detailed, and natural sounding. Finally, finally, I am getting the kind of sound I thought the Signature IIs should have been producing. These cables are so dang quiet, and I am hearing all kinds of low level detail I never heard before. The attack of instruments is much greater and more immediate. Dynamic contrasts are great. Highs like cymbals are much more natural. Vocalists are more easily localized in the sound stage. Electric bass is tuneful and much more defined. I can't believe how good Pandora sounds, via my Denon X5200 receiver. These cables are said to have an effective 2/0 gauge, which now has me wondering if all that conduction capacity contributes to the overall sound quality being produced. Most people don't even use 12 gauge cables.

As I've only been able to listen to these cables for a couple days, I'm reserving total judgement until I get more listening time, and am able to evaluate more aspects of the sound. One aspect is deep bass performance. I plan to play some movies that have prodigious bass in them and see how that comes out. These are not inexpensive cables, but I have a 30 day money back guarantee on them, so I can return them if I want to.

So, with respect to my decision to try to identify a sort of "reference" cable before buying a new set of Signature SE or Focus SE, I do think I made the right decision. The problem I now have is I'm thinking, wow, if these old Signature IIs sound this good, I wonder how good new, state of the art speakers will sound with these cables!

http://www.cerioustechnologies.com/c...lcSpeaker.html

FAMILY ROOM SYSTEM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers, PSB Image 5T tower speakers, Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, Oppo BDP-83 universal disc player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo DV 980H DVD player, Panasonic DMP DT210 Blu-ray player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #651 of 693 Old 12-11-2016, 09:09 PM

mtrot, after you decide on your wire, check out the new Legacy Calibre speaker. I just spent 3 days last week at the Legacy factory and I got to listen to them...A lot of speaker in a little package at about half the price of the Focus. So far it seems that production can't keep up with demand...It also looks like I'm going to have to break down and get a pair of Aeris...I knew going up to the factory could be a dangerous thing..
post #652 of 693 Old 12-11-2016, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
mtrot, after you decide on your wire, check out the new Legacy Calibre speaker. I just spent 3 days last week at the Legacy factory and I got to listen to them...A lot of speaker in a little package at about half the price of the Focus. So far it seems that production can't keep up with demand...It also looks like I'm going to have to break down and get a pair of Aeris...I knew going up to the factory could be a dangerous thing..
I may get to hear the Calibre on Tuesday, if my dealer gets them by then. BTW, how were they at the factory about you being there for 3 days? I've thought about visiting them sometime.

post #653 of 693 Old 12-11-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I may get to hear the Calibre on Tuesday, if my dealer gets them by then. BTW, how were they at the factory about you being there for 3 days? I've thought about visiting them sometime.
They were fine with it...I actually was there to work out a contract to rep for them... I like their product so well that Bill and I worked out a deal for me to go around and recruit dealers for them. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it... Plus it's got great perks, I get to meet a lot of great people and spread the good news about Legacy Audio.

While my primary goal will be recruiting and supporting new dealers, I will have the ability market to the public also. So I'm going to be setting up a listening room at my office so people can come and audition some of their equipment.
llang269 and rkeeney like this.

Last edited by cb5300; 12-23-2016 at 09:59 AM.
post #654 of 693 Old 12-12-2016, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
They were fine with it...I actually was there to work out a contract to rep for them... I like their product so well that Bill and I worked out a deal for me to go around and recruit dealers for them. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it... Plus it's got great perks, I get to meet a lot of great people and spread the good news about Legacy Audio.

While my primary goal will be recruiting a supporting new dealers, I will have the ability market to the public also. So I'm going to be setting up a listening room at my office so people can come and audition some of their equipment.
You should see if Deluxe Audio and video in Oak Brook would like to sale them!

post #655 of 693 Old 12-12-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post
You should see if Deluxe Audio and video in Oak Brook would like to sale them!
Thank you for the lead, I will contact them and see if they have any interest....
llang269 likes this.
post #656 of 693 Old 12-19-2016, 03:01 PM

In the last week or some I have had the opportunity to do a direct comparison between the Legacy Studio HD's and the following speakers;

1) Revel M105: Must say I was very disappointed in this speaker, it sounded very "muddy" and never came across as a top of the line speaker. For what they cost for a pair I guess I was expecting a little more. Sensitivity is 86 dB/meter. Frequency Range: 60 Hz – 44 kHz, – 3 dB, Recommended Amplifier Power: 50-120 Watts.

2) Paradigm Signature S2: This speaker wasn't to bad, but still lacked the presence and range of the Legacy's. Again for the price I would have expected a closer comparison. Some of the specs are Sensitivity is 91 dB/meter. Frequency Range(on-Axis) 52 Hz-20Khz. Amp Power range 15-225 watts.

What the people heard with the Legacy was better bass with better detail in the highs with out being to "bright." It had a smoothness like a glass of fine wine that the other speakers lacked. People who had never heard the Legacy brand before were astonished by what they heard. People could not believe the music that they were hearing were actually coming from the Studio bookshelf speakers and not from the towers next to them.

Some Specs for the Studio's:
Sensitivity (Room, dB@2.83V ): 93 dB, Frequency Response (Hz +/- 2dB): 41-30k, Recommended Amplification: 25 - 200 watts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	studio%20rosewood%20no%20grille.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1841609  

Last edited by cb5300; 12-19-2016 at 05:09 PM.
post #657 of 693 Old 12-19-2016, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think it's an availability thing. They are difficult to audition (they have very few dealers, and even fewer with representative stock). And there are few reviews by established outlets for a lot of the lineup, especially for specialized stuff like the Silhouettes.

It was very difficult for me to audition any Legacy product. I ended up having to audition Signature SEs in New York (the dealer played Transformers off of YouTube lol) to help me make a decision about the Silhouettes, which are pretty different from one another. I live in TX.

In comparison, I can audition Wisdom, Golden Ear, Totem, Dynaudio, B&W, Sonus Faber, DefTech, Magnapan, Revel, and Paradigm all within 30 minutes from my house.

I think if more people could hear Legacy products, and hear them in flattering environments, more people would talk about and buy them.
@sunPin ,

I'm not sure where in TX you are, but there is a fantastic place in East TX to audition Legacy Audio speakers! Dave, who is an authorized dealer and all around great guy, has on hand Aeris, Focus SE, Signature SE, Calibre, Studio HD, and I believe he is going to be getting the new, top of the line V system. He also has a home theater room set up with Silhouettes. I live in Tyler, and have driven down several times to hear his setups during my research on Legacy speakers. He also has his own high end tube amp company and he pairs up with Legacy to demo the Legacy speakers and his amps at audio shows. The sound with Dave's amps and Legacy Focus SE is just awesome. I have not yet heard the Aeris with his amps, but he should now have them set up, and I cannot wait to hear that setup. If you would like to contact him, I can hook you up.
sunPin likes this.

post #658 of 693 Old 12-24-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
@sunPin ,

I'm not sure where in TX you are, but there is a fantastic place in East TX to audition Legacy Audio speakers! Dave, who is an authorized dealer and all around great guy, has on hand Aeris, Focus SE, Signature SE, Calibre, Studio HD, and I believe he is going to be getting the new, top of the line V system. He also has a home theater room set up with Silhouettes. I live in Tyler, and have driven down several times to hear his setups during my research on Legacy speakers. He also has his own high end tube amp company and he pairs up with Legacy to demo the Legacy speakers and his amps at audio shows. The sound with Dave's amps and Legacy Focus SE is just awesome. I have not yet heard the Aeris with his amps, but he should now have them set up, and I cannot wait to hear that setup. If you would like to contact him, I can hook you up.
mtrot, you've hit the nail right on the head....Dave is a super great guy, I met him at Capital Fest at the Legacy/Raven exhibit, and let me tell you the Raven amp driving the Aeris is a thing to behold.
post #659 of 693 Old 12-25-2016, 02:16 AM

Quote:
@sunPin ,

Yes, I bought my Silhouettes through Dave at Raven Audio. He's north of Dallas, which is about 6 hours from me. I wouldn't spend 12 hours driving time to audition speakers and neither would very many other people. My point is that a lot of people would benefit from being able to audition Legacy products, which they would if there were more dealers carrying them. I hope we can get some Legacy dealers in Austin so I and others can audition the Aeris and V in the future!

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #660 of 693 Old 12-25-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I bought my Silhouettes through Dave at Raven Audio. He's north of Dallas, which is about 6 hours from me. I wouldn't spend 12 hours driving time to audition speakers and neither would very many other people. My point is that a lot of people would benefit from being able to audition Legacy products, which they would if there were more dealers carrying them. I hope we can get some Legacy dealers in Austin so I and others can audition the Aeris and V in the future!
Dave is set up now in Onalaska, TX, which is closer to you but still over 3 hours away. Agreed that it would be nice to have more and closer dealers. I drive to my parents in Houston fairly regularly, so Dave's place is, sort of, on the way!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Legacy Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page