Legacy Audio Speakers - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes
post #661 of 683 Old 01-15-2017, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
@sunPin ,

I've not yet heard the Aeris with his amps, but he should now have them set up, and I cannot wait to hear that setup. If you would like to contact him, I can hook you up.
Hey mtrot, have you had the chance to hear the Aeris with the Raven amp yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 683 Old 01-15-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
Not yet, but I am actually heading down to Houston on Tuesday and am going to see if I can stop by and hear them. He should have them set up now. I'll post here if I get to hear them.

FAMILY ROOM SYSTEM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers, PSB Image 5T tower speakers, Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, Oppo BDP-83 universal disc player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo DV 980H DVD player, Panasonic DMP DT210 Blu-ray player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #663 of 683 Old 01-21-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sunpin,

Hey, I today got to hear the Aeris with Raven Audio amplification at Dave's new location. All I can say is run, don't walk, to hear this combo!! James from Legacy was in town, which was great because he is THE man when it comes to Aeris setup. He was able to employ the Xilica processor to perfectly set up the Aeris for the room.

We played audio files off of a PC, using JRiver. The PC was connected to a Mytek Manhattan DAC, which was connected to the Xilica, which fed the Raven amp. Most of the music files were 500 to 600 kbps of various codecs, but don't let the fact that they were not quite "CD quality" fool you. The sound on some of the tracks with vocals was practically a religious experience! We heard an acapella group which has male and female singers. The placement of voices and the incredible, accurate, and open reproduction of both male and female voice is amazing. Everything just sounds so "live", like the performers are in the room.

Another track had a male vocalist with a very deep voice, and I've never heard male voice reproduced with the marriage of grace and power that I heard today. Female vocals were beautiful as well. With musical instruments, the resonance, microdynamics, and tonality is just "right there". Bass goes super deep, but under control, and very open sounding.

I was in the last two weeks able to hear the new B&W 800 D3 series speakers at two different locations. I heard the 802D3 and 803D3 in both locations. One shop used Classe amplification, while I think the other used Macintosh. I thought they were very good speakers, but after today I realized the Aeris is in another league altogether.

FAMILY ROOM SYSTEM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers, PSB Image 5T tower speakers, Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, Oppo BDP-83 universal disc player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo DV 980H DVD player, Panasonic DMP DT210 Blu-ray player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.

post #664 of 683 Old 01-22-2017, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Sunpin,

Hey, I today got to hear the Aeris with Raven Audio amplification at Dave's new location. All I can say is run, don't walk, to hear this combo!! James from Legacy was in town, which was great because he is THE man when it comes to Aeris setup. He was able to employ the Xilica processor to perfectly set up the Aeris for the room.

We played audio files off of a PC, using JRiver. The PC was connected to a Mytek Manhattan DAC, which was connected to the Xilica, which fed the Raven amp. Most of the music files were 500 to 600 kbps of various codecs, but don't let the fact that they were not quite "CD quality" fool you. The sound on some of the tracks with vocals was practically a religious experience! We heard an acapella group which has male and female singers. The placement of voices and the incredible, accurate, and open reproduction of both male and female voice is amazing. Everything just sounds so "live", like the performers are in the room.

Another track had a male vocalist with a very deep voice, and I've never heard male voice reproduced with the marriage of grace and power that I heard today. Female vocals were beautiful as well. With musical instruments, the resonance, microdynamics, and tonality is just "right there". Bass goes super deep, but under control, and very open sounding.

I was in the last two weeks able to hear the new B&W 800 D3 series speakers at two different locations. I heard the 802D3 and 803D3 in both locations. One shop used Classe amplification, while I think the other used Macintosh. I thought they were very good speakers, but after today I realized the Aeris is in another league altogether.

I think it was actually mtrot who was asking you about the Aeris but thanks for letting me know about them anyway

The Aeris looks absolutely drool worthy. I'm going to be helping my father in law build his new media room after he sells his business and retires, and will be taking a close look at the Aeris when he does.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
post #665 of 683 Old 01-22-2017, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
I think it was actually mtrot who was asking you about the Aeris but thanks for letting me know about them anyway

The Aeris looks absolutely drool worthy. I'm going to be helping my father in law build his new media room after he sells his business and retires, and will be taking a close look at the Aeris when he does.
Oops, it was cb5300 who asked me that question. CB, please see my response above!

post #666 of 683 Old 01-22-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Oops, it was cb5300 who asked me that question. CB, please see my response above!

Ah yeah right, cb

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #667 of 683 Old 01-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Awww, and here I was not feeling the "love"... But mtrot, have you decided about pulling the trigger or not??? and when you do, any idea what finish you're going to get???

I love my Focus SE's and have no intentions of getting rid of them, they sound fantastic and you can listen to them for hours with out any fatigue what so ever, but there's just something about the Aeris that sets it a part from everything else out there under 100K, (I actually like the Aeris better than the "V") the Aeris is just a damn sexy speaker (if there is such a thing) and sounds utterly fantastic.

I would like to try a Wavelet with the Focus SE and see what difference (if any) it makes. That could be a game changer for the Focus....
sunPin likes this.

Last edited by cb5300; 01-27-2017 at 08:11 AM.
post #668 of 683 Old 01-22-2017, 12:42 PM

sunPin,
Have you gotten your Legacy "rocking" yet? What sub are you using? Did you move up to a Legacy sub or are you using something else?
post #669 of 683 Old 01-22-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awww, and here I was not feeling the "love"... But mtrot, have you decided about pulling the trigger or not??? and when you do, any idea what finish you're going to get???

I love my Focus SE's and have no intentions of getting rid of them, they sound fantastic and you can listen to them for hours with any fatigue what so ever, but there's just something about the Aeris that sets it a part from everything else out there under 100K, (I actually like the Aeris better than the "V") the Aeris is just a damn sexy speaker (if there is such a thing) and sounds utterly fantastic.

I would like to try a Wavelet with the Focus SE and see what difference (if any) it makes. That could be a game changer for the Focus....
No, no final decision yet. Lots of factors involved. I actually haven't even thought about the finish yet.

As to Focus, in any version, vs Aeris, James explained that it is the move from the 7" mids of the Focus to the 8" and 10" mids of the Aeris that puts the Aeris into a different league. My word, when they played that track with a guy with a deep, resonant baritone voice, it was unbelievable. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I've never heard a baritone voice reproduced like that, and it was not the least bit "bloaty" either. It just sounded like it would sound when that singer would be singing live and right up on the mic and with professional venue speakers. There is no way Focus( or hardly any speaker I've ever heard) could do that. Oh, and another track had a big baritone saxophone on the right channel, and I've never heard baritone sax sound so big and real as that.

Last edited by mtrot; 01-22-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: grammar
post #670 of 683 Old 01-22-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
No, no final decision yet. Lots of factors involved. I actually haven't even thought about the finish yet.

As to Focus, in any version, vs Aeris, James explained that it is the move from the 7" mids of the Focus to the 8" and 10" mids of the Aeris that puts the Aeris into a different league. My word, when they played that track with a guy with a deep, resonant baritone voice, it was unbelievable. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I've never heard a baritone voice reproduced like that, and it was not the least bit "bloaty" either. It just sounded like it would sound when that singer would be singing live and right up on the mic and with professional venue speakers. There is no way Focus( or hardly any speaker I've ever heard) could do that. Oh, and another track had a big baritone saxophone on the right channel, and I've never heard baritone sax sound so big and real as that.
I agree with you, that the Focus will never be the speaker that the Aeris is, but from what Doug and I have talked about the Wavelet could get you close...But any which way you want to slice it, if you want a passive speaker then the Focus SE is the ticket, and if your cup of tea calls for a powered speaker then I don't think you can do any better than the Aeris...Now, I've just got to figure out where I would put them...
post #671 of 683 Old 01-22-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
sunPin,

Have you gotten your Legacy "rocking" yet? What sub are you using? Did you move up to a Legacy sub or are you using something else?

It is absolutely rocking. Having some issues with the left mid and tweeter that I'm trying to get sorted out with Brice at Legacy, but when they are behaving, I have a theater experience that trounces every theater in my city. I went and saw Rogue One at the theater today and it was sad compared to my set up at home.

The sub I went with is a Power Sound Audio ported 15", the 15V. It vibrates the hair on my scalp. I wish it had a little more extension but it has oodles of output down to probably 18hz. And for the price ($899) it's basically untouchable. I'm waiting for my bonus to pick up a second.

Can the Wavelet be used with my Silhouettes?

Did you get my last pm with my suggestion?

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #672 of 683 Old 01-22-2017, 10:24 PM

Question: I get better imaging with EQ turned off, but voices are also recessed too far back in the sound stage when I disable EQ.

Any tips for getting great imaging and a more even presentation of the mix?

Is it that my receiver's EQ just isn't very good? (Denon AVR 790 with Audyssey MultEQ.)

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #673 of 683 Old 01-23-2017, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hello, I just wanted to share my enthusiasm for Legacy Audio. I just came back from the factory to pick up my second Sub called Foundation (not out yet but will be available soon). I auditioned the Aeris with Bill for several hours and they are incredible speakers and will upgrade to them sometime the the road but for now I am really enjoying what I have for music in 2.2 and movies in 5.2. This is an incredible system and love listening to them every day. I live in the Atlanta area, everyone is welcome to stop by to have a listen!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1915249  

Legacy Audio - Focus SE, Marquis HD, Foundation Sub, Powerbloc2 amp. Morrow Audio - SP7 main cables, SP6 center cables, MA5 Interconnects. Emotiva - XPA-2, XPA-3. Oppo - BDP-105D, PM-3 Headphones. Onkyo - PR-SC5508. Sony - 55in Bravia. Furutech - e-TP80 AC power line filter, GTX-D Recepticles with wall plates, Power Guard - 15 IEC AC cables.
post #674 of 683 Old 01-23-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre58 View Post
Hello, I just wanted to share my enthusiasm for Legacy Audio. I just came back from the factory to pick up my second Sub called Foundation (not out yet but will be available soon). I auditioned the Aeris with Bill for several hours and they are incredible speakers and will upgrade to them sometime the the road but for now I am really enjoying what I have for music in 2.2 and movies in 5.2. This is an incredible system and love listening to them every day. I live in the Atlanta area, everyone is welcome to stop by to have a listen!
Great Scott, Andre!!!! Got bass???

post #675 of 683 Old 01-23-2017, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Great Scott, Andre!!!! Got bass???
I do have it, would you like some? The sub intergration with the Focus is lovely to listen to. Not overpowering, subtle and can go down to 12Hz. Multichannel mode with a great audio reproduction for a concert or movie is just awesome. A must audition!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1915665  

Legacy Audio - Focus SE, Marquis HD, Foundation Sub, Powerbloc2 amp. Morrow Audio - SP7 main cables, SP6 center cables, MA5 Interconnects. Emotiva - XPA-2, XPA-3. Oppo - BDP-105D, PM-3 Headphones. Onkyo - PR-SC5508. Sony - 55in Bravia. Furutech - e-TP80 AC power line filter, GTX-D Recepticles with wall plates, Power Guard - 15 IEC AC cables.
post #676 of 683 Old 01-30-2017, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Just wanted to post here that I have a pair of Studio HD in Black Pearl for sale over in the classified section. If anyone is interested, just follow this link.

Happy listening.
rkeeney likes this.

post #677 of 683 Unread 02-27-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have been enjoying my Focus SEs for sometime now but always felt I could get a bit better integration of the Left and Right channels. I first had them in the same location as my Magnepan 1.7s and felt that this was too far from the front (wall behind the speakers) as the bass was a bit boomy and mushy. I tried several of the positions as calculated from http://noaudiophile.com/speakercalc/. I didn't want to move them closer to the front wall as I have my audio rack and plasma between them.

Finally, I called Legacy and one of the techs (whose name eludes me now) asked a few room dimension questions, took a few minutes and told me to move the speakers about 3 feet from the front wall. Viola! The speakers are really singing now. There are no discontinuities, vocals are solid (moving my head a few inches doesn't drastically affect their location), bass is always tight and now more explosive.

I was skeptical because this has always been a very bad location for any of my previous speakers. Kudos to Legacy for the assistance and knowledge of their product.
post #678 of 683 Unread 02-28-2017, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post
I have been enjoying my Focus SEs for sometime now but always felt I could get a bit better integration of the Left and Right channels. I first had them in the same location as my Magnepan 1.7s and felt that this was too far from the front (wall behind the speakers) as the bass was a bit boomy and mushy. I tried several of the positions as calculated from http://noaudiophile.com/speakercalc/. I didn't want to move them closer to the front wall as I have my audio rack and plasma between them.

Finally, I called Legacy and one of the techs (whose name eludes me now) asked a few room dimension questions, took a few minutes and told me to move the speakers about 3 feet from the front wall. Viola! The speakers are really singing now. There are no discontinuities, vocals are solid (moving my head a few inches doesn't drastically affect their location), bass is always tight and now more explosive.

I was skeptical because this has always been a very bad location for any of my previous speakers. Kudos to Legacy for the assistance and knowledge of their product.
Glad to hear that repositioning the speakers drastically improved their performance! How far away from the front wall were they before you moved them? Usually moving speakers closer to a boundary (wall) reinforces the bass... Your original position was likely in an anti-node, where the bass wave is reinforced to its maximum in the room. That would kind of make sense that you liked the Maggies in that spot, since they probably have much less bass output than the Signature SEs, and needed the bass support to achieve a balanced sound.

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #679 of 683 Unread 03-02-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In the Magnepan position, they were about 5 feet away from the front wall. In the calculated position, they were a little over 4 feet from the front wall. Using the AudioTools app, the speakers were placed just a smidgen under four feet.. I've had four different boxed speakers in this room and none of them have ever sounded good where the Focus SEs are now positioned.

One of these days, I am going to discuss this with the Legacy folks and
post #680 of 683 Unread 03-04-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post
In the Magnepan position, they were about 5 feet away from the front wall. In the calculated position, they were a little over 4 feet from the front wall. Using the AudioTools app, the speakers were placed just a smidgen under four feet.. I've had four different boxed speakers in this room and none of them have ever sounded good where the Focus SEs are now positioned.

One of these days, I am going to discuss this with the Legacy folks and
Robert, glad to see that there is someone else in Virginia with a pair of Focus SE's... I'm up next to Roanoke and very few people up this way know of the Legacy brand... I have the Rosewood finish on my Focus plus the two pairs of Studio HD's.

What are you driving your Focus with? I'm using a Marantz 2500 receiver that has been totally rebuilt from the chassis up. It drives the Focus with very little effort.

If you are ever up in my neck of the state give me a shout and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.
post #681 of 683 Unread 03-09-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Robert, glad to see that there is someone else in Virginia with a pair of Focus SE's... I'm up next to Roanoke and very few people up this way know of the Legacy brand... I have the Rosewood finish on my Focus plus the two pairs of Studio HD's.

What are you driving your Focus with? I'm using a Marantz 2500 receiver that has been totally rebuilt from the chassis up. It drives the Focus with very little effort.

If you are ever up in my neck of the state give me a shout and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.
I am using a Devialet 200 to drive the speakers. Sublime sound. Later this year I'll get the upgrade to the 220 Pro and may even add a slave unit for 440 watts into 6 ohms. I am told that the 400/440 configuration is well worth it but I really don't want to add another unit.
post #682 of 683 Unread Today, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was just referred to the legacy speakers ad I need to find an opportunity to give them a listen. I was told that the Signature SE is the best bang for the buck in their line. Is this true?
post #683 of 683 Unread Today, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
I was just referred to the legacy speakers ad I need to find an opportunity to give them a listen. I was told that the Signature SE is the best bang for the buck in their line. Is this true?
I'd have to agree with that. For a roughly $2000 increase in price over the Classic HD, you get into the Air Motion tweeters, and two10" woofers. 22Hz bass extension as well! I was able to do some extended in-home listening to a set of Signature SE in Black Onyx and they looked and sounded wonderful!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Legacy Audio