Legacy Audio Speakers - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #691 of 713 Old 04-16-2017, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutler View Post
There is another owner of Focus SEs in VA....Northern VA area
Actually, more than one (in Northern VA). I was on a business trip to Illinois years ago and made a point to stop in at Legacy when I was there. Ended up with two very large speakers when I came back from my trip. They've been with me ever since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 713 Old 04-17-2017, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutler View Post
I will be going to Axpona this Friday so I will get to see the whole crew....I bet Doug still helps out on these shows, they are a blast. I have the SEs, a Marquis HD center, studios and a pair of Phantoms....
Dang, I was going to be there as well, but my father's failing health ruled it out. I hope all in attendance have a great time!

FAMILY ROOM SYSTEM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers, PSB Image 5T tower speakers, Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, Oppo BDP-83 universal disc player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo DV 980H DVD player, Panasonic DMP DT210 Blu-ray player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #693 of 713 Old 04-19-2017, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
Dang, I was going to be there as well, but my father's failing health ruled it out. I hope all in attendance have a great time!
I'm sure it's going to be a GREAT show and I'd give anything to be able to attend, but unfortunately I have prior obligations here in Roanoke..

I'll be making a trip to the factory in the near future anyway so I'm sure I'll get to hear all about the show.

post #694 of 713 Old 05-15-2017, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone! Brand new owner of a Focus SE in Black Pearl powered by the Powerbloc2 and Wavelet!

Loving this whole setup and couldn't ask for more.

The geek in me has a question though. Does anyone know what kind of oscillator/clock the wavelet uses? Is it a crystal or quantum clock?

Asking so I can get an appropriate matching source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #695 of 713 Old 05-22-2017, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wanted to post my review of the Legacy Signature SEs I recently bought:

Recently I was on a quest to upgrade my speakers. I had the Gemme Audio Tantos, which while having great bass and dynamics, and sounding good with all types of music, left me wanting higher levels of resolution. And I also owned them for a number of years and it was time for an upgrade. But I didn’t just wanna upgrade for the sake of it, I wanted to significantly go up the ladder.

I had a short list of speakers I wanted to hear, and Legacy was one of the recommended brands, plus I really wanted to check out the new Personas, and happened to be the case, a nearby dealer, Audio Doctor in Jersey City had both.

For some reason Legacy doesn’t seem to be that well known, there’s a thread on AVS and some random reviews on hometheaterhifi, so I get the feeling people tend to think of them as a home theater speaker company rather than a hi fi brand.

Well, most people couldn’t be more wrong.

I purchased the Legacy Signature SEs. They are very large (for typical NYC apartments), they stand monolithic, but incredible to look at with the stunning Rosewood finish. At about 110 lbs unboxed, I had a hell of a time setting them up in a somewhat ideal location in my living room. I let them run straight for 3 days.

Did you know there are sounds of bubbles in "Octopus’s Garden"? Have you noticed? I never did, and I’ve been listening to this song for about 25 years (albeit when I was 12, it was on a ****ty boombox). And I didn’t have to put any effort to hear those bubbles. There they just were, coming through the speakers as they were recorded 50 years ago, and I never knew. And this was without really setting the speakers up properly, with my modest DAC.

On my great analog front end, with Van Morrison’s "Crazy Love", his vocals just hung in the air. I had to listen to the whole album (Moondance) from start to finish because I couldn’t get up. I listened to the Classic Records’ Stereo version of "Blue Train" and it was as if this was new music, the upright bass was center right, beyond the speaker, through the whole session! I have an original Blue Note of Dexter Gordon’s "A Swingin’ Affair"...and they were in my room! Every stroke or brushing of the hi-hat, notes from the bass! This is like being in Smalls! Still without the speakers placed properly! They were 8 feet apart, 3 feet from the front wall and 4 feet from the sides, but only slightly towed in.

After toeing them in properly, I was listening to these last night, after coming home from work and completing household stuff, right before going to sleep. There were incredible moments of you are there vocal and instrumental palpability...Fleetwood Mac’s "Dreams", with the vocal harmonizing during the chorus, Eagles’ "I can’t tell you why", the dual guitars just sounding incredibly separated, yet effortless. Santana, Buena Vista Social Club, Ry Cooder, typical audiophile vocal music. Even with my modest dac, they all sounded incredible.

And not just with select "audiophile" music, Junior Boys "Last Exit" is one of my most favorite electronic albums ever. It has a frigid, cold yet soulful ambiance. The best way to describe their esoteric, glitchy sound is as one reviewer once put it: "Imagine incredibly soulful electronic RnB produced by Timbaland...if he never wanted to make any actual money." On "High Come Down" the electronic high hats just enveloped me, they had this incredible stereo imaging and switched channels constantly. I had no idea.

The speakers have this incredibly controlled low end and this sweet, engaging midrange sound...and the top is just airy. It all equates to an extremely engaging experience.

I had a very good experience at Audio Doctor. Dave is a passionate dude, he loves gear and we listened to a lot of music both times I was there. I initially listened to the Legacy Audio Signature SEs, Paradigm Persona 3Fs and Dali Rubicon 8s. For me the former two stood out. But I had other speakers to audition as well. So I went around to other shops and I listened to the new Dynaudio Contours (which I’d definitely also recommend people check out, specifically the monitors for a smaller listening space). And I also listened to the Endeavor E3 MK2s. For my tastes, the clear frontrunners were the Legacies and the Endeavors. After all the auditioning I went back to Audio Doctor for a second listening session and clearly the Lagacies were for me. There was no pressure or anything, just a relaxing, long listening session. I’d recommend Dave’s shop without hesitation, there is a lot of high end gear there one could check out.

If I was in the market for speakers in the 7k - 10k range, I’d definitely check out the Legacies, Dynaudios and Endeavors.
sunPin likes this.
post #696 of 713 Old 06-22-2017, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
Just wanted to report that Audio Exchange in Richmond, VA is now a Legacy Audio dealer...Give Donny a call, he will be happy to take care of you....
Do you know which models they have on display? No pictures on their web site, so I wasn't sure?? I'd love to drive over from Charlottesville one day, after work, for an audition. Or since I live near Lynchburg, maybe a trip to Roanoke is in order???

Thanks.

Last edited by StimpyWan; 06-22-2017 at 06:33 AM.
post #697 of 713 Old 06-22-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpyWan View Post
Do you know which models they have on display? No pictures on their web site, so I wasn't sure?? I'd love to drive over from Charlottesville one day, after work, for an audition. Or since I live near Lynchburg, maybe a trip to Roanoke is in order???

Thanks.
At this time he only has a pair of Signature SE's in Rosewood, but he just placed an order for some Studio HD's. He'll have one pair in Rosewood and another in Black Pearl... Hope that helps.
post #698 of 713 Old 06-23-2017, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
At this time he only has a pair of Signature SE's in Rosewood, but he just placed an order for some Studio HD's. He'll have one pair in Rosewood and another in Black Pearl... Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that. And I think I answered my own question, by reading the rest of the thread. I saw where you mentioned the Signature SE's further down the discussion. Plus, the Signature SE's were the speaker that I was hoping to hear. It's the closest Legacy to my old Acoustic Research AR90's. The 'same' driver compliment. I believe Bill D. was a fan of AR too. So, it should make for a nice comparison.
post #699 of 713 Old 07-03-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpyWan View Post
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that. And I think I answered my own question, by reading the rest of the thread. I saw where you mentioned the Signature SE's further down the discussion. Plus, the Signature SE's were the speaker that I was hoping to hear. It's the closest Legacy to my old Acoustic Research AR90's. The 'same' driver compliment. I believe Bill D. was a fan of AR too. So, it should make for a nice comparison.
If you want to hear the Focus SE's let me know, I live down next to Roanoke and will be glad to let you audition the Focus and the Studio HD. That's all I have here at the moment, but you're welcome to bring your music and have a listen...

Last edited by cb5300; 07-17-2017 at 08:32 PM.
post #700 of 713 Old 07-19-2017, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just auditioned the Calibre's (mostly, but also listened to the Focus SE and Aeris) about two weeks ago at Dave Thomson's showroom in Onalaska, Tx for his Raven Audio & Legacy line-up's. I guess you can say there is a review buried in here somewhere. Of course the Focus and Aeris sounded amazing. Both set-up's are running off of Legacy Wavelet processors and Raven Audio tube amps. Need I say more? Ok, sure! I auditioned the Calibre's both in a near-field setup and in the "big room" where the Aeris lives. The setup in the big room is set-up for the Aeris mid/top-end, but even hooked up like that, they sounded great! Fantastic little speakers! Coming from owning both B&W and Focal bookshelf's simultaneously, the Calibre's definitely had that nice "heft" but clarity in the mid-bass and midrange that you can't get from smaller bookshelf speakers. The top-end is nice, clear, smooth. I hesitate to use the word "silky" because it sounds soo cliché in the audio world, but I have to use it now---it was nice and silky.

And believe you me, I really put them through their paces. I'm not your "typical" audition'er---I brought the worst of the worst to see if they could handle it----about twenty bare-bones, brutal, pummeling tracks by the fathers of grindcore metal, none other than Napalm Death. I've listened to this music for more than a quarter century and been to plenty of concerts so I know exactly what it is all supposed to sound like. Ultra-low down-tuned distorted guitars that only dogs and I can hear (LOL), hammering double bass drum blast beats, endless snare assaults, crashing cymbals, gut-wrenching distorted bass lines, and growling, guttural vocals from Barney Greenway that would make a Tyrannosaurus Rex cower in fear. All handled with ease. I swear that one those Calibre's grew a pair of legs and arms during the audition, walked up to me in the listening chair, and slapped me hard across the face, and said to me, "Is that all you got, punk?! Give me more, I dare you!". They are fearless little devils!

Right now I'm just waiting for Dave to work on an invoice for the Black Pearl finish with an upgrade for magnetic grills. I hope to soon be the newest owner of Legacy Calibre's. Long live Bill Dudleston and the Legacy Family.
shivaji and jamiebosco like this.

Last edited by OscarJr; 07-21-2017 at 03:01 PM.
post #701 of 713 Old 07-26-2017, 08:23 PM

I'll have to agree with you about the Calibre, they are a heck of a speaker... I hope to be heading to the Legacy factory and picking up a pair myself in the very near future. I personally think that the Calibre give you almost the same sound as the Signatures, only in a smaller package...After living with the Focus SE's for the last 18 months and, the Studio HD's for 12 months I just keep getting more impressed with the Legacy's. There is a tightness in their bass, and smoothness to their mids and highs. The speakers just make the music more alive... Love me some Legacy's...
post #702 of 713 Old 07-27-2017, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I'll have to agree with you about the Calibre, they are a heck of a speaker... I hope to be heading to the Legacy factory and picking up a pair myself in the very near future. I personally think that the Calibre give you almost the same sound as the Signatures, only in a smaller package...After living with the Focus SE's for the last 18 months and, the Studio HD's for 12 months I just keep getting more impressed with the Legacy's. There is a tightness in their bass, and smoothness to their mids and highs. The speakers just make the music more alive... Love me some Legacy's...
If anyone is having difficulties with their Legacy's I suggest getting the Wavelet. Take's the Legacy's to another level.

Does anyone know if Legacy makes spikes for their floor standing models? If so I misplaced mine and need to order a set.
Cheers,
BJ
post #703 of 713 Old 07-28-2017, 04:51 PM

Well I couldn't wait. I won't have my order finished for weeks, so in the meantime I picked up their little brothers, the Legacy Studio HD's, also in Black Pearl finish from right here on this forum. What can I say, they sound awesome! Yes I know they are right on the edges of my desk, and no I couldn't change the color of the walls! I will end up making some stands for the Calibre's, as they are a little bit chunkier.

New office is a little smaller than my other office, but I already started moving my stuff in so oh well. Can't wait for my Calibre's to get in. The black pearl finish is superb.
Cutler and bkeeler10 like this.
post #704 of 713 Old 07-28-2017, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
I heard the Calibres in Chicago at Axpona and said to Victoria "Those really can't be those little speakers can they", she smiled and well yours truly became a fan of yet another Bill D creation. I am the proud owner of a full set-up and would one day love to own a set of their Helix speakers(Former flagship before the Vs)....I love my Focus SEs though and don't see them leaving the system anytime soon
post #705 of 713 Old 08-05-2017, 09:35 PM

Took some more pics today

Comparing them with my Focal Aria 905s. No comparison, lol.

Black Pearl finish. Looks like a picture from the Hubble Space Telescope

Now that is one bright tweeter! LOL Looks like you're looking straight into the sun! And yes, it's that bright, sonically! At least in the office I have them in. No soft furnishings, all hard walls and floor, and very near-field. I activate the -2dB trim switch for the highs, and it keeps them in check very nicely. Perfect actually. Be that as it may, I am completely sold on AMT tweeters. They can spot a needle in a very large haystack.

post #706 of 713 Old 08-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 204
That Black Pearl really is a striking finish, especially in proper lighting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

post #707 of 713 Old 08-09-2017, 02:41 PM

The Black Pearl and the Rosewood finishes are my favorite...I was really torn between the two, but settled on the Rosewood. Oscar, You will really like the Studios...I have a set in the master bed room hooked up to a Sansui G-9000DB... The sound is amazing...In the near future I'll be adding a pair of Calibre to my collection of Studios and Focus SE.

I have A/B the Studio HD's against the KEF, Revel, and Paradigm bookshelf speakers, and so far, Legacy has out perform all comers. I even compared the Studio HD against a pair of Klipsch RF-7II and the Legacy sounded way better than the RF-7II. The sad part is the Klipsch retail for $3200 a pair and the Legacy (in Rosewood) retail for only $1980 a pair, go figure.

I truly feel that you would be hard press to find a bookshelf speaker in the same price range (for that matter 4 times that price) that sound better than the Legacy.

Last edited by cb5300; 08-09-2017 at 02:48 PM.
post #708 of 713 Old 08-09-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Oscar, You will really like the Studios...
Trust me, I already do. Everyone at work that passes by my office can't help but stop and ask about them!

I'm gonna see if Victoria @ Legacy can snap some pics of mine being built. Free publicity for them, so hopefully she can go into the different shops and take pics so I can post here.

Last edited by OscarJr; 08-09-2017 at 04:17 PM.
post #709 of 713 Old 08-13-2017, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1682_1502656945369.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2267196  
post #710 of 713 Old 08-13-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJV29 View Post
My setup.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything.
post #711 of 713 Old 08-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 204
^^ Not just you; I don't see anything either . . .

post #712 of 713 Old 08-17-2017, 03:47 PM

So even though my Studio HD's will be replaced with Calibre's, I decided to get the most out of them. Upgraded crossover to a dbx Driverack PA² Loudspeaker management system. Bought the dbx RTA mic, and the Dayton Audio OmniMic V2 package. My mic stand hasn't arrived, lol.

Mic at approximately ear-level, right smack in the middle.

I'm gonna start out by posting the frequency response graph today, and I'll update with changes I make as I hone in the tuning.

Testing Conditions:
  • Room size= 11' W x 11' D x 10' H. Pretty much worst possible (almost a perfect cube) situation to start out with eh? lol
  • Room treatments= none
  • Speaker Location= Near middle of room, toe'd in to listening position
  • Frequency response was recorded with no smoothing initially, but then I manually added 1/6 octave smoothing
  • Input= full-range short sine sweep
  • Electronic EQ/Adjustments/tweaks= none
  • Initial Observation= huge room-mode peak right around 106Hz, right around the 2nd harmonic of pretty much all 3 room axis, and it sounds like it. (sucks).

post #713 of 713 Old 08-19-2017, 09:51 AM

Looking back, I think that Frequency Response might have been 1/12 octave smoothing. So anyways, I changed the toe-in angle (lessened it), turned on the sub, and took the Frequency Response again.

Testing Conditions:
  • Room size= 11' W x 11' D x 10' H. Pretty much worst possible (almost a perfect cube) situation to start out with eh? lol
  • Room treatments= none
  • Smoothing= 1/6 octave
  • Electronic EQ/Adjustments/tweaks=
    • Subwoofer/Main Crossover Frequency= 41Hz, -48 dB/octave, Linkwitz-Riley on both the LPF of the subwoofer, and the HPF of the high output (The dbx Driverack lets you set each one completely independently of each other, thus the flexibility)
  • Initial Observation= the addition of the subwoofer greatly amplified the 1st harmonic of the room mode right around 51Hz, and of course the huge room-mode peak right around ~102Hz, right around the 2nd harmonic of pretty much all 3 room axis.

Now after adding in PEQ

Testing Conditions:
  • Room treatments= none
  • Smoothing= 1/6 octave
  • Electronic EQ/Adjustments/tweaks=
    • Subwoofer/Main Crossover Frequency= 41Hz, -48 dB/octave, Linkwitz-Riley on both the LPF of the subwoofer, and the HPF of the high output (The dbx Driverack lets you set each one completely independently of each other, thus the flexibility)
    • Added Parametric Equalization to both Low- and High-Outputs
  • Initial Observation= NICE work Oscar !

Afterthoughts:
  • Flat-Response is nice, but for anyone that hasn't experimented with tuning Frequency-Response, if you aim for flat it indeed sounds "thin" on the low-end, and if you have a very reflective room, the top-end might be too bright.
  • I personally liked the top-end after tuning, but I know that once I add in room-treatments, it will hopefully clear up the sound, and will drop the top-end a bit, which wouldn't be all that bad either to be honest.
  • The "thin" low-end needs some "oomph" with heavy metal, so I might play with the PEQ and GEQ a bit more. When I attempt to boost up the low-end (<120Hz) I most certainly will do my best to try and not boost frequencies near the room modes (51Hz & 102Hz, for these frequencies are not only louder via the huge pile-up of room resonances, they produce time-smear that cannot be EQ'd out, since they linger around longer than the initial excitation sound. I'm gonna try and boost up some bass frequencies between the room resonances so only the loudness artifact is heard, not time-smeared room resonances.

Here is before & after tuning (both plots over-layed):

Last edited by OscarJr; 08-19-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Legacy Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page