AVS Forum banner

Legacy Audio Speakers

184K views 1K replies 137 participants last post by  ChopShop1 
#1 ·
I have recently become interested in this line of speakers, but have not seen much talk of them on the forum. Has anyone had some personal experience with the Legacy line of speakers?

I'm liking the look of the new Classic HD and its matching center channel, the Silver Screen. Also, how are the Legacy subs? The LF Extreme seems like quite a sub based on specs.

Any feedback on this line of speakers would be appreciated!

#52 ·
Jeff,

I only heard the Whisper XD, but I asked James, their LA rep, about the HD as well. The XD comes with the 500 watts of internal power for the woofers, which in this demo was matched up with a Coda solid state amplifier powering the mid-woofers and tweeters. I see the value in the XD for a user who owns an amplifier that is powerful enough for the top end, but maybe not the whole speaker- they can power the top section with their amp and let the internal amps power the woofers.

The XD looks to give the installer more control over tweaking it for the room as well- the DSP processor lets the user adjust level and eq of the sections individually. Watching him show me the process, it was easy to see how the speaker could be adjusted to the individual's taste.

As far as comparing the Whisper XD and Focus SE, I agree with DMark1- they both offer great value at their price-points.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSchmit /forum/post/20364173

Jeff,

I only heard the Whisper XD, but I asked James, their LA rep, about the HD as well. The XD comes with the 500 watts of internal power for the woofers, which in this demo was matched up with a Coda solid state amplifier powering the mid-woofers and tweeters. I see the value in the XD for a user who owns an amplifier that is powerful enough for the top end, but maybe not the whole speaker- they can power the top section with their amp and let the internal amps power the woofers.

The XD looks to give the installer more control over tweaking it for the room as well- the DSP processor lets the user adjust level and eq of the sections individually. Watching him show me the process, it was easy to see how the speaker could be adjusted to the individual's taste.

As far as comparing the Whisper XD and Focus SE, I agree with DMark1- they both offer great value at their price-points.

Couple of questions -

1. Does anyone know the ratings and configurations of the ICE PAs used in the XD? In other words, one/pair of 15" drivers which woudl be 4/system?

2. Does anyone know which model of the Xilica DSPs is included with the XD?

3. Does the terminal and wiring configuration on the HDs allow the user to configure the DSP to function as active crossovers prior to the built-in ICE PAs in the signal path?

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_777 /forum/post/20507020

Couple of questions -

1. Does anyone know the ratings and configurations of the ICE PAs used in the XD? In other words, one/pair of 15" drivers which woudl be 4/system?

2. Does anyone know which model of the Xilica DSPs is included with the XD?

3. Does the terminal and wiring configuration on the HDs allow the user to configure the DSP to function as active crossovers prior to the built-in ICE PAs in the signal path?

Russ:

I don't know the answers off-hand, but I have forwarded them to Bill D at Legacy to see if he can shed some light on the subject. I will post his response when I hear back from him. Thanks,

DMark1

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 /forum/post/20511060

Russ:

I don't know the answers off-hand, but I have forwarded them to Bill D at Legacy to see if he can shed some light on the subject. I will post his response when I hear back from him. Thanks,

DMark1

Thanks! Pretty sure I'm going to have to go listen to some.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 /forum/post/20511060

Russ:

DMark1

Whoops, just realized I "misspoke" in the 3rd question:

Quote:

I meant to ask:

3. Does the terminal and wiring configuration on the XDs allow the user to configure the DSP to function as active crossovers prior to the built-in ICE PAs in the signal path?

#58 ·
Hi Russ,

The DSP processor in the Whisper XD system functions as room correction, as well as an active crossover for the woofer section, prior to amplification.

Looking at the connections on the back of one Whisper XD speaker, you would find a pair of binding posts and two XLR connectors.

The binding posts are for connecting the user supplied amplifier. The first XLR connection is for the back 3 woofers, and the second XLR connection is for the front 2 woofers.

The processor is the 4080, and it is running an algorithm written by Bill Dudleston for the Whispers.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

All the best,

James

#59 ·
Thanks James!

Basically, I'm trying to clarify in my mind the differences between the HD and XD and understand some "system" issues. I see from the on-line manual for the HD it also comes with the 4080 and with the option to utilize xover filtering in the 4080.

Based on your response below, it looks like the external xover filtering is only a LPF for the woofers. In other words, it appears that the four 7" mids (and other high freq drivers) are band pass filtered by an internal passive xover network.

If this is the case, is it necessary to pass the preamp output for the so-called "satellite section" through the 4080? I'm not sure why one would do that since the processor could down sample the input from 192 ksamples/sec to its specified 96 ksamples/sec on high resolution sources. Unless the 4080 is also doing something with freqs >300 Hz...is this what you were referring to by "room correction" (above 300 Hz)?

Along the same lines, if one is already using a pre-pro with room correction equalization (Audessy, etc.), is any processing the 4080 is doing above 300 Hz necessary to optimize speaker performance, and can it be bypassed if the owner desires?

One other question on the equalization aspect...I already have a pre-pro with room correction equalization and am running a Velodyne SMS-1 in the loop with my external sub. How would all three processors be coordinated? Or should one or two be eliminated?

In the XD, I'm also trying to understand if there two ICE modules per speaker -- one for front pair of woofers and one for those on the rear? Or is it just one ICE module wired in series or parallel?

Other than the ICE modules and associated XLR connections, is there any difference between the XDs and the HDs?

I apologize for the barrage of technical questions, but I could not find a manual on the Legacy site for the XD and the one for the HD has no functional or wiring bock diagrams that would explain the internal configurations of the speakers. With a speaker system this complex and flexible, I feel a more thorough user's manual would be beneficial.

Cheers,

Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAtLegacy /forum/post/20545313

Hi Russ,

The DSP processor in the Whisper XD system functions as room correction, as well as an active crossover for the woofer section, prior to amplification.

Looking at the connections on the back of one Whisper XD speaker, you would find a pair of binding posts and two XLR connectors.

The binding posts are for connecting the user supplied amplifier. The first XLR connection is for the back 3 woofers, and the second XLR connection is for the front 2 woofers.

The processor is the 4080, and it is running an algorithm written by Bill Dudleston for the Whispers.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

All the best,

James

#60 ·
Hi Russ

The 4080 in the XD is an active crossover for the woofers. The four 7" drivers and tweeters are band passed internally.

The 4080 is also providing room correction for the entire speaker- it is a very flexible system, offering 8 precise parametric eq points and 31 graphic eq points per input. All of the settings can be changed or bypassed by the owner.

I am not familiar with your specific processor, however there are extra outputs on the 4080 that allow integration with other speakers (center channels, subwoofers etc.)

In the XD there are two separate modules in each speaker. On the back of the speaker there are two balanced connections- one goes to the first channel to power the front woofers, the second goes to another channel to power the rear woofers.

If you would like to email me your address, I am happy to send you a copy of the Whisper XD manual.

All the best,

James
jamest@legacyaudio.com

#61 ·
Hi,

I recently listened to the old Focus HD (with three 12" woofers). The local dealer does not have the new model in store, and I will have to buy the new ones before I get a chance to listen to them. Can anyone with experience please give me some info in what difference I can expect between the old vs the new version of the Focus HD when it comes to sound quality?

#62 ·
When it comes to sound quality- I noticed a big advancement in the latest versions of the Focus. I imagine this comes down to the newer drivers as well as the simpler designed crossover the designer has mentioned in articles.

The new Focus has great dynamic range and is extremely quick and detailed.

The new midrange drivers are impressive. They do a nice comparison between the old and new drivers here:
Legacy Midrange Demo

#64 ·
I agree with HSchmitt - the new Focus HDs are light years better than the older models. You will notice much tighter and better controlled bass with the HDs. The midrange is much better, as evidenced by the video that was already linked. The Silver-Graphite mids are much more open and natural sounding than the old kevlar haxacone drivers. And the high and low ribbon tweeters are extremely sweet and smooth sounding, and and the crossover between them is just perfectly integrated. The tweeters are very detailed and open, but are not harsh or brittle at all. You will be very happy with your choice. Congratulations!

DMarks

#66 ·
As a proud Focus SE owner, I'd like to add that these speakers continue to impress two years later. I have gradually upgraded preamp, amp and source and each time was rewarded with immediate and obvious improvements. I've visited local hifi shops and listened to speakers costing 2-4x their cost and wouldn't trade them. On top of that, not all speakers that do music well can handle the dynamic and LF requirements of home theater. The Focus SE and matching Marquis HD excel in this regard.

#68 ·
GREAT NEWS!!

Legacy just announced a new speaker, the Legacy Audio Signature SE , which fits in the line-up between the Classic and the Focus. It is a SEALED enclosure design, and is said to be perfect for music and home theater use. These should go great with sealed subwoofers in a home theater! I have a set of three Signature SEs on order from Legacy,
so I will post my thoughts on them after I set them up and spend some time with them.

The Signature SE is comprised of two 10" aluminum woofers, one 7" silver-graphite/rohacell mid-woofer, one 3" folded kapton ribbon midrange, and one 1" folded kapton ribbon tweeter. The mid-woofer, midrange, and tweeters are the same drivers used in the Focus and Whispers, and the 10" woofers are a similar design to the Focus' 12" woofers.

Frequency response is rated at 22 Hz-30,000 Hz +/- 2 dB.

Crossover Points are: 180 / 2,800 / 8,000

Impedance is rated at 4 ohms.

Sensitivity: 92 dB

Recommended amp power: 10 - 300 Watts

Dimensions are 48"H x 12"W x 13.75"D.

Weight is 110 lbs each.

The SE model has an upgraded, stiffer braced cabinet, performance matched drivers to .25 dB tolerences, upgraded Solen caps in the crossover, and Kimber Kable silver wiring to the tweeter. Finish options are Natural Cherry ($5,995/pr MSRP), Rosewood ($6,150/pr MSRP), or Gloss Black Pearl ($6,450/pr MSRP). Custom finishes are available at additional cost.

I can't wait to get mine!!!

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 /forum/post/21090730

GREAT NEWS!!

Legacy just announced a new speaker, the Legacy Audio Signature SE , which fits in the line-up between the Classic and the Focus. It is a SEALED enclosure design, and is said to be perfect for music and home theater use. These should go great with sealed subwoofers in a home theater! I have a set of three Signature SEs on order from Legacy,
so I will post my thoughts on them after I set them up and spend some time with them.

The Signature SE is comprised of two 10" aluminum woofers, one 7" silver-graphite/rohacell mid-woofer, one 3" folded kapton ribbon midrange, and one 1" folded kapton ribbon tweeter. The mid-woofer, midrange, and tweeters are the same drivers used in the Focus and Whispers, and the 10" woofers are a similar design to the Focus' 12" woofers.

Frequency response is rated at 22 Hz-30,000 Hz +/- 2 dB.

Crossover Points are: 180 / 2,800 / 8,000

Impedance is rated at 4 ohms.

Sensitivity: 92 dB

Recommended amp power: 10 - 300 Watts

Dimensions are 48"H x 12"W x 13.75"D.

Weight is 110 lbs each.

The SE model has an upgraded, stiffer braced cabinet, performance matched drivers to .25 dB tolerences, upgraded Solen caps in the crossover, and Kimber Kable silver wiring to the tweeter. Finish options are Natural Cherry ($5,995/pr MSRP), Rosewood ($6,150/pr MSRP), or Gloss Black Pearl ($6,450/pr MSRP). Custom finishes are available at additional cost.

I'm glad to see they brought back the Signature model! I have had a set of the Signature IIs for, I guess, 15 years now, and they still sound great, although they do not have these newer drivers. But the design is the same. I will say, these need a big room to dig down to 22hz.

#70 ·
#71 ·
mtrot: My room is plenty big enough to support a 22 Hz tone, no problems there!

If you have the Sig II, it may be worth your while to consider trading in your current speakers for the new model. The new drivers are WAY better than the older ones (which were very good in their day, of course). Bill Dudleston's driver designs have advanced A LOT over the past 15 years.

Yes, the Expression is also a new, ported 2.5-way design Legacy just added. Two 8" silver-graphite/rohacell drivers; one is a woofer, the other handles midrange duty, plus a spiral ribbon tweeter. It fits between the Studio and Classic HD, and basically adds additional bass extension to the Studio "monitor" concept, in a tower design that doesn't need stands...

FR: 38Hz - 22kHz, +/- 2dB.

Crossover Points: 500 Hz / 3000 Hz

Sensitivity: 94 dB

Impedance: 4 Ohm

Dimensions: 38.5"H x 10.75"W x 10.75"D

Weight: 68 lbs each

MSRP: $2,695 to $2,995/pr, depending on your finish option.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 /forum/post/21091353

mtrot: My room is plenty big enough to support a 22 Hz tone, no problems there!

If you have the Sig II, it may be worth your while to consider trading in your current speakers for the new model. The new drivers are WAY better than the older ones (which were very good in their day, of course). Bill Dudleston's driver designs have advanced A LOT over the past 15 years.

Yes, the Expression is also a new 2.5-way design Legacy just added. It fits between the Studio and Classic HD, and basically adds additional bass extension to the Studio "monitor" concept, in a tower design that doesn't need stands...

FR: 38Hz - 22kHz, +/- 2dB. MSRP: $2,695 to $2,995/pr, depending on your finish option.

You know, about 15 years ago, I bought and installed in my parents' house a set of Legacy speakers that were about the size of the new Expression. I don't remember the model name, but it may be the same basic design. I was at their house over the weekend, and it is amazing the sound they produce from their Onkyo 608 receiver.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 /forum/post/21090730

GREAT NEWS!!

Legacy just announced a new speaker, the Legacy Audio Signature SE , which fits in the line-up between the Classic and the Focus. It is a SEALED enclosure design, and is said to be perfect for music and home theater use.

Very cool Dennis. I can't wait to see/hear them.

Craig

#76 ·
I finally heard the Legacy Signature SE at THE Show Las Vegas... wow these are impressive. Excellent dynamic capability with beautiful midrange clarity and detail. Low end extension was very impressive and yet tightly controlled.

The Signature SE reminds me of the Focus, in a smaller footprint.

Most importantly, like the Focus, the Signature SE is musical

They really make listening enjoyable, and are a nice option for those that want the sound of the larger Legacy's in a smaller size at a lower pricepoint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.