***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 107 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #3181 of 3186 Old 06-29-2014, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
AM looking for speaker s for my new theater room construction.
Room is 16w x 20L x 10H
looking for either a 5.x or 7.x set up

Will the Sierra Bookshelves be enough to fill this theater (Really for movies) with enough impact sound? It will be paired with subW(s)
Also, When I looked at the pic of the sierra 1 and the sierra 1 center it looked like it was merely the bookshelf lying on its side. Is that correct?
IS the Sierra 2 going to have a center or will it also just be the speaker on its side?

Right now am also considering SVS ultra system and perhaps Triads

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3186 Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrudy View Post
AM looking for speaker s for my new theater room construction.
Room is 16w x 20L x 10H
looking for either a 5.x or 7.x set up

Will the Sierra Bookshelves be enough to fill this theater (Really for movies) with enough impact sound? It will be paired with subW(s)
Also, When I looked at the pic of the sierra 1 and the sierra 1 center it looked like it was merely the bookshelf lying on its side. Is that correct?
IS the Sierra 2 going to have a center or will it also just be the speaker on its side?

Right now am also considering SVS ultra system and perhaps Triads

Thanks

From everything I have read, it appears that those using the S2's as FL & FR are either using another S2 either vertically or horizontally with the RAAL turned vertically, or they are using the Horizon center.

Too many toys
post #3183 of 3186 Old 06-30-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrudy View Post
Will the Sierra Bookshelves be enough to fill this theater (Really for movies) with enough impact sound?
I think they will. I have a room that's similar in size. It's about 21'x15'x8'. I've got a 5.1 with Sierra-1s for L/C/R and HTM-200 SEs for surrounds along with a sealed 15" sub (Epik Valor). 6 years later and I couldn't be more happier with them.

The Sierra-1 center is the same as a regular Sierra-1 but with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees.

~kyle
post #3184 of 3186 Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have a question about positioning of the front three speakers. For the 5.1 suggested speaker placement, it says that the left and right speakers should be equidistant from the center channel. For the left and right speakers, it says to follow the placement guidelines for a stereo pair, which states that if the L/R speakers are on either side of an entertainment center that the front of the speakers should be closer to the listening position that the front of the entertainment center. So, given that my center channel speaker is on my entertainment center, should the left and right speakers be placed further forward than the center channel? I would think that all three front channels should be lined up as close as possible.

post #3185 of 3186 Old 07-19-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
I have a question about positioning of the front three speakers. For the 5.1 suggested speaker placement, it says that the left and right speakers should be equidistant from the center channel. For the left and right speakers, it says to follow the placement guidelines for a stereo pair, which states that if the L/R speakers are on either side of an entertainment center that the front of the speakers should be closer to the listening position that the front of the entertainment center. So, given that my center channel speaker is on my entertainment center, should the left and right speakers be placed further forward than the center channel? I would think that all three front channels should be lined up as close as possible.
I keep my front three all aligned across the front; on the one setup where the center is sitting on a shelf I just have the center at the edge of the shelf to avoid reflections from the shelf which is what they're saying with the placement in relation to av furniture I think.

post #3186 of 3186 Old 08-04-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lambert View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by brucemorgan1 

I have been informed by the manufacturer of my new sub I got today (PSA XV15) that for this sub he preferred the source point speakers like the KEF r300 or von schweikert unifield one.  Any opinions?

Can the R300 even be considered a point source speaker?
It is a three way speaker with a bass driver below the Uni-Q driver array. What would make this arrangement a point source? I would think that this is the same thing as having a bass driver sitting under a tweeter.
I can see the KEF LS50 being a point source speaker. It has one coaxial woofer/tweeter.
I auditioned the LS50 and the Sierra 2. Not at the same time. I kept the Sierras.
I would love to hear more of how these two compared and what made you eventually go with the Sierras.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page