***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 112 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 56Likes
post #3331 of 3354 Old 04-18-2015, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I've been enjoying the Sierra 2's for a few months. I can't recommend them enough. Also, the Ascend stands that fit the other bookshelf speakers make for a great fit and presentation of the speaker. I also ordered the Sierra 1 center to use for h/t use to save some money, but it did not match the 2's too well, so I ordered the 2 center channel. Unfortunately the 2 that arrived had blemishes and scratches and Ascend has been a class act on how they are dealing with it. The Sierra 2 center is a much better speakers than the 1 center.

PS. WARNING. If anyone is going to use a VTI center channel stand with these speakers, be very careful. I had rubber pads installed in four different spots on the VTI and even with that, last night I heard a loud thump which was the Sierra 2 sliding off the stand. Damaged the speaker in two spots on the rear and cracked my floor. What I had to do as a remedy was to drill a hole on the back of the top plate of the VTI and put a bracket to hold the speaker in place. I hope this is not going to be an issue with Ascend since the speaker was being returned anyway because it was blemished to begin with. Sometimes luck or lack there of gets the best of us.

I'll post a follow up next week, but so far, the sound is lovely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3354 Old 04-18-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

post #3333 of 3354 Old 04-18-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post
I've been enjoying the Sierra 2's for a few months. I can't recommend them enough. Also, the Ascend stands that fit the other bookshelf speakers make for a great fit and presentation of the speaker. I also ordered the Sierra 1 center to use for h/t use to save some money, but it did not match the 2's too well, so I ordered the 2 center channel. Unfortunately the 2 that arrived had blemishes and scratches and Ascend has been a class act on how they are dealing with it. The Sierra 2 center is a much better speakers than the 1 center.

PS. WARNING. If anyone is going to use a VTI center channel stand with these speakers, be very careful. I had rubber pads installed in four different spots on the VTI and even with that, last night I heard a loud thump which was the Sierra 2 sliding off the stand. Damaged the speaker in two spots on the rear and cracked my floor. What I had to do as a remedy was to drill a hole on the back of the top plate of the VTI and put a bracket to hold the speaker in place. I hope this is not going to be an issue with Ascend since the speaker was being returned anyway because it was blemished to begin with. Sometimes luck or lack there of gets the best of us.

I'll post a follow up next week, but so far, the sound is lovely.
Try using a putty like Blu-Tack on stands, holds well even at an angle....
cschang likes this.
post #3334 of 3354 Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, but the bracket I installed is more of a permanent fix.
post #3335 of 3354 Old 04-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Neekos, I wonder if you could relate your experience, when you got your Sierra 2 speakers, did the rubber isolation pads(for the speaker bottom) and the company logos stickers come with each speaker?
post #3336 of 3354 Old 04-19-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The rubber isolation pads did come with the speakers but no logos for any of the speaker grills. Only the Ascend tag on the back of the speakers
post #3337 of 3354 Old 04-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Okay, thanks. I'm not even sure now if a company logo for the grills is included at all.
post #3338 of 3354 Old 04-19-2015, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
Okay, thanks. I'm not even sure now if a company logo for the grills is included at all.
My pair of Sierra Horizons w/ RAAL ribbon tweeters arrived a little over a week ago with isolation pads, test sheets and a copy of the invoice. No grill logos, warranty cards or owner's manuals were included.
post #3339 of 3354 Old 04-22-2015, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm playing with different positions of the speakers. In certain placements and with some toe in, the sound creates a tight sweet spot. Moving the speakers apart a bit and decreasing the toe in slightly makes quite a bit of difference so I would suggest to others to give it a try and see what results you get. Right now I have very little toe in and about 6 feet apart with very good results.
post #3340 of 3354 Old 04-22-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm playing with different positions of the speakers. In certain placements and with some toe in, the sound creates a tight sweet spot. Moving the speakers apart a bit and decreasing the toe in slightly makes quite a bit of difference so I would suggest to others to give it a try and see what results you get. Right now I have very little toe in and about 6 feet apart with very good results.
Where is your listening spot in relation to the speakers?
post #3341 of 3354 Old 04-22-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

9 feet from speakers
post #3342 of 3354 Old 04-22-2015, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
9 feet from speakers
Why are the speakers only 6 ft apart rather than 9?
post #3343 of 3354 Old 04-22-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Toe in is usually recommend for speakers that may lack imaging or suffer from a narrow sound-stage. I agree each and every circumstance in home will be different so its good to experiment but IMO the Ascend don't suffer from any of those issues...my Towers are about 8.5' apart and about 18" off the wall and to my ears they sound fantastic.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #3344 of 3354 Old 04-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldFagen View Post
My pair of Sierra Horizons w/ RAAL ribbon tweeters arrived a little over a week ago with isolation pads, test sheets and a copy of the invoice. No grill logos, warranty cards or owner's manuals were included.

Hey guys... Glad to hear that you are all enjoying your speakers.

By request, we were including our logos in a separate bag to allow customers to adhere them or not. After polling some of our customers, nearly everyone prefers the cleaner look without logos and they were simply tossing the logos out. We are happy to send anyone logos, just let us know

We have never included a warranty card. The purpose of a warranty card is so that the manufacturer of the goods knows who the end user of the product is. For retail purchased products, it is a good idea but since our customers purchase direct from us, we know who you are

Owner's manuals are a thing of the past for us. We feel it is an unnecessary expense as the price of printing and the stock used for our manuals has more than doubled in the past 2 years. If you notice, most products these days do not come with manuals, many substitute a CD with the info in lieu of a printed manual as it is actually less expensive. Others refer you to their website for info.

All that said, since you are purchasing direct from the manufacturer, any questions or concerns, any advice - any info you need at all -- we are here for you nearly 12 hours per day. Simply call or email

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #3345 of 3354 Old 04-22-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
After polling some of our customers, nearly everyone prefers the cleaner look without logos and they were simply tossing the logos out. We are happy to send anyone logos, just let us know
What do those logos look like and how does one affix them? Whether I would use them or not would depend on how small and unobtrusive they are and if they could be removed once applied. Either way not a big deal but I would think logos would be good PR. For what it's worth, my B&W's have small metal grill logos that I like but I took the grills off because I had the speakers oriented horizontally and the logos looked silly flipped sideways.

I am, of course, digging my new Sierra speakers...and FWIW I would NEVER toss out your company's logos!
post #3346 of 3354 Old 04-24-2015, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Hi neekos,

Can you remove the grill of your front and center please. Thinking of upgrading my Paradigm Monitors to ascend sierra 2. Im 50/50 movies/music, should i go for sierra horizon or sierra 2 center? Living room size is 12x14x9. Thanks.

Billy p,

I saw your sig you have a Anthem mrx300, we have the same receiver. Is the mrx300 enough to power the Sierra 2?

Thanks
post #3347 of 3354 Old 04-24-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan338 View Post
Hi neekos,

Can you remove the grill of your front and center please. Thinking of upgrading my Paradigm Monitors to ascend sierra 2. Im 50/50 movies/music, should i go for sierra horizon or sierra 2 center? Living room size is 12x14x9. Thanks.

Billy p,

I saw your sig you have a Anthem mrx300, we have the same receiver. Is the mrx300 enough to power the Sierra 2?

Thanks
My room is 21x15x9 without issue. Usual listening habits will vary...even on those rare occasion from zero to -5dbs it hasn't skipped a beat...of course having a sub helps under those demanding circumstances...so unless you have a large room & listen at extremely loud levels the 300 will certainly suffice.

Re,

Bill

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

post #3348 of 3354 Old 04-24-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
What do those logos look like and how does one affix them? Whether I would use them or not would depend on how small and unobtrusive they are and if they could be removed once applied. Either way not a big deal but I would think logos would be good PR. For what it's worth, my B&W's have small metal grill logos that I like but I took the grills off because I had the speakers oriented horizontally and the logos looked silly flipped sideways.

I am, of course, digging my new Sierra speakers...and FWIW I would NEVER toss out your company's logos!
If you need some you can have mine - there are stuck on my workbench
Like Dave said, I believe most of us don't use them (they are very small and use a sticky adhesive one side to "stick" to the cloth of the grill. Since I don't have kids, no grills for my front speakers - I want to see the goods.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #3349 of 3354 Old 04-24-2015, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan338 View Post
Hi neekos,

Billy p,

Thanks
Hi Bryan. Here are a few pics without the grills

codita likes this.
post #3350 of 3354 Old 04-24-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Bryan, the Sierra 2's are really excellent speakers which bring out the best of good electronics. I had Studio 20's in the past and the Sierra's are smoother and have a more realistic presentation. The RAAL tweeter is special, but the midbass driver is equally impressive

Billy p likes this.
post #3351 of 3354 Old 04-27-2015, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Send me an email and I would be happy to send you a pic. They are small -- and use a PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive)

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #3352 of 3354 Old Today, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Mine are still in their bags and look like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	logo.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	692426  
post #3353 of 3354 Unread Today, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lambert View Post
Mine are still in their bags and look like this:
Not bad at all. Thanks!
post #3354 of 3354 Unread Today, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Holy smokes...nobody said anything about a pen...

I love swag....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page