***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #3391 of 3419 Old 06-16-2015, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchattenJager View Post
I appreciate the feedback. I don't have any experience with the Signature line, except to know that it's Paradigm's top line, so to hear that the Sierras are similar in quality is impressive. I suppose that would mean they blow the Studio (and now the Prestige, which I've heard has some tradeoffs with the Studio) out of the water.

I just wish the Horizon wasn't so dang tall. I have about 10" of clearance between the TV and top shelf of my stand. That means the Horizon will block about an inch of the bezel. Luckily, that doesn't quite cut into the screen, but will probably look weird.
Here's a post on some custom "low-profile" horizons Ascend made:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...5009#post45009

Sorry just noticed that the center is still 11" tall so it must just be the vertically oriented versions that are narrower at 8.5"

Last edited by chas_w; 06-16-2015 at 07:07 AM. Reason: clarify with more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3419 Old 06-16-2015, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_w View Post
Here's a post on some custom "low-profile" horizons Ascend made:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...5009#post45009

Sorry just noticed that the center is still 11" tall so it must just be the vertically oriented versions that are narrower at 8.5"
Yeah, I'm not a member of the forum (I should probably register) so I can't see the pics, but it sounds like a Horizon tipped upright, probably as a replacement for the bookshelves.

I think when it comes down to it, I'm going to prioritize speakers, and adjust the environment to work with them, which with these means I'll probably sell the stand, get an A/V cabinet, and mount the TV to the wall.
post #3393 of 3419 Old 06-16-2015, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I would call Dina...I ran into same problem and ended up lowering shelf that it sits on down an inch... But I think while I was researching problem that Dave can make one a little shorter... Call, It will be worth the time . I love this system ( and that is NOT where the subs ended up being . It was for pictures only...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1847.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	780041  

Last edited by ss3740; 06-16-2015 at 02:08 PM.
post #3394 of 3419 Old 06-21-2015, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Ordered satin dark cherry towers and horizon, all with RAAL tweeters. Can't wait to hear them!
post #3395 of 3419 Old 06-21-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchattenJager View Post
Ordered satin dark cherry towers and horizon, all with RAAL tweeters. Can't wait to hear them!
congrats!

In dog beers, I've only had one.
post #3396 of 3419 Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Due to space constraints (and the wife), I have to place my Sierra 1's horizontally. What is the proper alignment for the right and left speakers this way?
Should the tweeters both be out the outside (Tweeter - Woofer) (I have a turntable between them) (Woofer - Tweeter) or should the Tweeters both in the middle with the woofers on the outside?
I'm having to make due with the space until our addition is complete and I can rearrange everything better. I know it isn't optimal, but wanted some thoughts.
Thanks!
post #3397 of 3419 Old 06-30-2015, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I would try the tweeters on the outside. Make sure you rotate the tweeter 90 degrees so the waveguide is horizontal.
cschang likes this.
post #3398 of 3419 Old 06-30-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
I would try the tweeters on the outside. Make sure you rotate the tweeter 90 degrees so the waveguide is horizontal.
and too add...it is easy to try with the tweeters inside or outside...so do what you like best.

But most importantly, like nate points out, rotate the tweeter.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #3399 of 3419 Old 06-30-2015, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the quick replies ! I've rotated the tweeters, just curious if there was a certain way they should be placed.
post #3400 of 3419 Old 06-30-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Guys,

Sorry if either of these questions have been answered already. I'm really interested in the Sierra 2's for my front 3 speakers in a 5.2 setup. Ideally, I would like wall mounted speakers for the surrounds. The room is about 12 x 15 x 9, opened up to the rest of the house.

1) What models would you recommend for the surrounds? Do I have to go RAAL? Not sure that 5 sierra 2's would be in the budget.
2) I would be moving from my Klipsch which have sensitivity of 97dB to these which have a sensitivity of 87dB. I sit about 10 ft away from the front speakers. I never turn my receiver any higher than 10 below reference. Ho will my Denon x4000 handle the lower sensitivity speakers?

Thanks
post #3401 of 3419 Old 06-30-2015, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj805 View Post
Hi Guys,

Sorry if either of these questions have been answered already. I'm really interested in the Sierra 2's for my front 3 speakers in a 5.2 setup. Ideally, I would like wall mounted speakers for the surrounds. The room is about 12 x 15 x 9, opened up to the rest of the house.

1) What models would you recommend for the surrounds? Do I have to go RAAL? Not sure that 5 sierra 2's would be in the budget.
2) I would be moving from my Klipsch which have sensitivity of 97dB to these which have a sensitivity of 87dB. I sit about 10 ft away from the front speakers. I never turn my receiver any higher than 10 below reference. Ho will my Denon x4000 handle the lower sensitivity speakers?

Thanks
You sit 10 feet from the speakers. Your old Klipsch, with a sens. of 97 db were run at 10 below reference? Friend, you like it very, very loud. You will simply not be able to achieve the same volume levels with the Sierra's. I'd make two suggestions. One, you've already given yourself hearing damage, which will continue and eventually become evident. Two, if you want the same volume levels with that Denon, you will need to get other speakers with the exact same sens. rating as the Klipsch. Unless you get separate amps with 400 watts per channel or more, I don't think Ascend can help you.
post #3402 of 3419 Old 06-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
You sit 10 feet from the speakers. Your old Klipsch, with a sens. of 97 db were run at 10 below reference? Friend, you like it very, very loud. You will simply not be able to achieve the same volume levels with the Sierra's. I'd make two suggestions. One, you've already given yourself hearing damage, which will continue and eventually become evident. Two, if you want the same volume levels with that Denon, you will need to get other speakers with the exact same sens. rating as the Klipsch. Unless you get separate amps with 400 watts per channel or more, I don't think Ascend can help you.

Audio4life, I believe what Benj is saying is that he listened to his Klipsch at 10dB below reference level (which would be an average listening level of 75dB). 10dB below reference is just that, 10dB below reference - a fixed dB measurement of which the sensitivity of the speaker is not a determining factor with regard to the listening level.

Benj, at 10 feet back, and with a sensitivity of 87dB, with your X4000 receiver you will be able to achieve an average listening level of ~98dB from one Sierra-2, or ~ 103dB from all (3) speakers. With the X4000, and Audyssey calibration, it calibrates the speakers such that reference volume level on your receiver is 85dB. When you recalibrate with the Sierra-2's - reference level on your volume control will once again be at an 85dB level, such that -10dB (your listening level), will be at the same 75dB you were listening to before. Absolutely no issues at all -- while the Sierra-2 will demand more power from your receiver to reach this same volume level, at 75dB, you will be using less than 1 watt of power. 85dB would only require 6 watts You have plenty of power and we have loads of customers using Sierra-2 with the X4000 in much larger rooms. (I have an X2000 that I use with a pair of Sierra-2)

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any additional assistance.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #3403 of 3419 Old 06-30-2015, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

I am assuming when a person says they have the volume set at 10 db below reference, that the volume is set at 10 db below 0 on the volume dial. Either way, in a 12 x 15' room, that's pretty loud.

I base my warning on hearing damage based on the thresh hold of hearing damage, 85db. Perhaps I'm erring on the side of caution in my old age, but there you are.

Last edited by audio4life; 06-30-2015 at 07:15 PM.
post #3404 of 3419 Old 06-30-2015, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
David,
Thanks for the info. Do you think I need to stick with RAAL for my surrounds, or could I use a lower priced pair from the Ascend product line?

audio4life,
Just to clarify, I said I never go any louder than -10dB according to my receiver (after running Audyssey). That is not my normal listening volume. It's the max I ever turn it up, and that's typically for short periods or when not sitting directly in front of my stereo. In short, I want my speakers to be able to reach this level.

Ben
post #3405 of 3419 Old 06-30-2015, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Okay Ben, I see I misunderstood your intent with the volume settings, sorry for the confusion.
post #3406 of 3419 Old 07-01-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
David,
Thanks for the info. Do you think I need to stick with RAAL for my surrounds, or could I use a lower priced pair from the Ascend product line?

audio4life,
Just to clarify, I said I never go any louder than -10dB according to my receiver (after running Audyssey). That is not my normal listening volume. It's the max I ever turn it up, and that's typically for short periods or when not sitting directly in front of my stereo. In short, I want my speakers to be able to reach this level.

Ben
I'm not Dave, but do own a few of his speakers (see below). If you are using Audyssey on your Denon - no. If you can afford to buy S2s to use all around, go for it. The key is to have the L/C/R match - after that if you are using speakers from the same family you should be good. You can see I violate that last rule for a few of mine, but Audyssey does a nice job of blending things together. Great speakers, great company and great staff - you'll enjoy anything you buy from Dave for a long time.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #3407 of 3419 Old 07-02-2015, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So how much of a difference is there between the Sierra-1, Sierra-2 and Towers...when it comes to value, NrT or RaaL upgrades etc? I'm in the market to upgrade my Ascend speakers to a higher model. Either something for sale on the used market or even brand new. It just really depends on what sort of deal presents itself and the timing on things. I currently have the CMT-340se Center and CBM-170se L/R's.
post #3408 of 3419 Old 07-02-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrimberg View Post
So how much of a difference is there between the Sierra-1, Sierra-2 and Towers...when it comes to value, NrT or RaaL upgrades etc? I'm in the market to upgrade my Ascend speakers to a higher model. Either something for sale on the used market or even brand new. It just really depends on what sort of deal presents itself and the timing on things. I currently have the CMT-340se Center and CBM-170se L/R's.
What do you have for a sub? Are you a fan of 2 channel music using a pure audio mode or something similar. Mix between movies and music? Thanks.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
post #3409 of 3419 Old 07-02-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
What do you have for a sub? Are you a fan of 2 channel music using a pure audio mode or something similar. Mix between movies and music? Thanks.
I just picked up an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus 12" subwoofer. This room is challenging and I'm running a 3.1 set up and it's about 70/30 for HT/Music Listening.
post #3410 of 3419 Old 07-02-2015, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just picked up an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus 12" subwoofer. This room is challenging and I'm running a 3.1 set up and it's about 70/30 for HT/Music Listening.
I bought an Outlaw sub years ago, still use it in a system upstairs, great sub especially for what it cost.

I would go for the Sierra 2s given you have a good sub and will be using the speakers primary for HT. That recommendation is for 3 of the same across the front just to be clear. The towers are great, if you listened to more 2 channel music and budget wasn't an issue I would recommend them, not that the 2s don't work well in that regard (see below I speak from experience). The RAAL tweeter is worth the price of admission, don't miss out on a substantial improvement, not that there aren't a few other notable upgrades that Dave made from the 1s to the 2s.

Good luck on the used market - any of Ascends speakers are tough to find - but that's good when you decide to upgrade and need to sell as it seems you're about to do with your 340s.

post #3411 of 3419 Old 07-02-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
I bought an Outlaw sub years ago, still use it in a system upstairs, great sub especially for what it cost.

I would go for the Sierra 2s given you have a good sub and will be using the speakers primary for HT. That recommendation is for 3 of the same across the front just to be clear. The towers are great, if you listened to more 2 channel music and budget wasn't an issue I would recommend them, not that the 2s don't work well in that regard (see below I speak from experience). The RAAL tweeter is worth the price of admission, don't miss out on a substantial improvement, not that there aren't a few other notable upgrades that Dave made from the 1s to the 2s.

Good luck on the used market - any of Ascends speakers are tough to find - but that's good when you decide to upgrade and need to sell as it seems you're about to do with your 340s.
Yeah, 3 Sierra-2 will definitely be an expensive upgrade. How well do they match up with the Horizon RaaL center?
post #3412 of 3419 Old 07-02-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
how well do they match up with the horizon raal center?
:d:d:d

post #3413 of 3419 Old 07-09-2015, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the fence help push me over...

Looking at getting 3 Sierra Horizon's and 2 CBM-170 SE for my semi-dedicated HT but am also considering the MTM-210 and MT-110SR from powersoundaudio as I like the slant surrounds a little better for my room and even DIY builds such as the 88 Special.

Have a 100" AT screen that is in a 12x24 room with sloping ceilings. The issue is the seating isn't on a riser so ear level isn't at the center of the screen so the horizontal speakers of the Horizon's really appeal to me.

Using a UMC1 and UPA5 so if I buy these speakers will not be able to replace the processor/amp. Currently using CV XLS28 for LCR and am happy with the sound except the center channel which I have owned for a little over 3 years. Last night, unplugged the center channel and was very surprised how little work the L R SR speakers do. The center channel really is the work horse...

Originally was going to replace the processor but think the biggest bang for the buck would be speakers. Previously owned svspeakers but were unimpressed and sold them after a time.

Any thoughts?
post #3414 of 3419 Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Assuming you have a good sub (PSA owner maybe? they make some good subs and speakers) I would consider the Ascend Sierra 2s and an Horizon for your center. If you where using it for more then movies than 3 Horizons would be the way to go - I may be adding 2 more soon. For just movies the Sierra's and Horizon along with a good subwoofer, or two, three would be a great upgrade.

I have never heard the PSA speakers, their owners seem very passionate about them, but I would not consider them to be in the same class as the Sierra 2s or Horizon. I'm sure they sound good and offer an excellent value. If you need a sub, I would give the PSA offerings a thorough look.

Great thing about Ascend and PSA, both offer in home trials, I believe PSA picks up the cost of shipping both ways, Ascend does not, but I'm confident they won't be going back if you decide to join the Ascend family. Please post any other questions, there are more than a few of us on this forum enjoying Dave's good sound.

post #3415 of 3419 Old 07-10-2015, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Can't comment on the Powersound Audio speakers, but I own the Horizon center and am completely satisfied in every way with it. I considered going with 3 Horizons across the front, but opted for the Sierra 2's for rt and lt instead, and also feel it was the right choice. As you pointed out, the "mains" are not nearly as active as the center, up to 70% can be directed to the center, so didn't feel the need for 3 Horizons. I have since added 2 Rythmik dual 8" mid bass modules to the front, and this is now a killer setup in my opinion. I've never been as completely satisfied with the audio as I am with this rig. The Horizon has to be one of the best centers out there. Hope this has been helpful and best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone

On the fence help push me over...
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post35636514
Posted by: superheropunk
On: 07-09-2015 09:14 AM

Looking at getting 3 Sierra Horizon's and 2 CBM-170 SE for my semi-dedicated HT but am also considering the MTM-210 and MT-110SR from powersoundaudio as I like the slant surrounds a little better for my room and even DIY builds such as the 88 Special.

Have a 100" AT screen that is in a 12x24 room with sloping ceilings. The issue is the seating isn't on a riser so ear level isn't at the center of the screen so the horizontal speakers of the Horizon's really appeal to me.

Using a UMC1 and UPA5 so if I buy these speakers will not be able to replace the processor/amp. Currently using CV XLS28 for LCR and am happy with the sound except the center channel which I have owned for a little over 3 years. Last night, unplugged the center channel and was very surprised how little work the L R SR speakers do. The center channel really is the work horse...

Originally was going to replace the processor but think the biggest bang for the buck would be speakers. Previously owned svspeakers but were unimpressed and sold them after a time.

Any thoughts?

***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread***
Posted by: smurraybhm
On: 07-09-2015 11:56 AM

Assuming you have a good sub (PSA owner maybe? they make some good subs and speakers) I would consider the Ascend Sierra 2s and an Horizon for your center. If you where using it for more then movies than 3 Horizons would be the way to go - I may be adding 2 more soon. For just movies the Sierra's and Horizon along with a good subwoofer, or two, three would be a great upgrade.

I have never heard the PSA speakers, their owners seem very passionate about them, but I would not consider them to be in the same class as the Sierra 2s or Horizon. I'm sure they sound good and offer an excellent value. If you need a sub, I would give the PSA offerings a thorough look.

Great thing about Ascend and PSA, both offer in home trials, I believe PSA picks up the cost of shipping both ways, Ascend does not, but I'm confident they won't be going back if you decide to join the Ascend family. Please post any other questions, there are more than a few of us on this forum enjoying Dave's good sound.

All the best,
AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #3416 of 3419 Old Today, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Can't comment on the Powersound Audio speakers, but I own the Horizon center and am completely satisfied in every way with it. I considered going with 3 Horizons across the front, but opted for the Sierra 2's for rt and lt instead, and also feel it was the right choice. As you pointed out, the "mains" are not nearly as active as the center, up to 70% can be directed to the center, so didn't feel the need for 3 Horizons. I have since added 2 Rythmik dual 8" mid bass modules to the front, and this is now a killer setup in my opinion. I've never been as completely satisfied with the audio as I am with this rig. The Horizon has to be one of the best centers out there. Hope this has been helpful and best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone
Hey Healthnut.. I'm about to take delivery on 3 sierra 2's on Wednesday and have also looked at 2 of those Rythmik 8's as well. Do you also have a larger subwoofer in use? In my case the 8's would be up front and my 12" sub would be on the left side of my room. I've always heard you don't want a sub up front because it usually ends up being one of the worst places for good response. Does this thought also apply to the 8's or not because they are smaller?

Projector & Screen: Panasonic AE7000u 3D w/HTB Anamorphic Lens & 130" 2.35:1 CIH Screen
Video: DVDO Edge Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 / XPA-3 / UPA-7
Speakers: eD Custom 6T6 Towers, Emotiva UAC-8.2, Emotiva ERD-1s
Subwoofer: eD A3-300 12" 350w Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
Visit My Theater
post #3417 of 3419 Old Today, 02:32 PM

Yes, in fact I own 2 Rythmik sealed subs, as well as the two 8 inchers. I have the larger subs in corners, front left and rear right. In my space, this gave the best sound ( I put the sub in my listening position, and crawled around the room playing loss bass through just the subs and the best bass position was in those opposing corners). The smaller subs I positioned directly in front of my Sierra 2's (which are mounted on the stands Ascend sells for them), this turns the Sierra 2's into very full-range killer take-no-prisoners speakers, though the bass management to implement this properly is a bit of a headache. With their paper cones, the 8 inch subs are perfect for mid bass duties. Btw, the best place for subs is where they sound the best IN YOUR SPACE, regardless of what you may have heard. Proper positioning is critical to good bass, also, cross them all over at 80 HZ. Congrats on your new speakers! I'm confident you'll love them as I do!
post #3418 of 3419 Old Today, 03:07 PM

To further clarify: I re-read your post, and now I see your concern for placing the 8" subs up front. Assuming the speakers are reasonably close to you and equidistant (the same distance from you as from each other), and your listening position is not in a bass null (1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 distance in the long axis of a rectangular room), you should be ok with the small subs near the Sierra 2's ( that's where mine are). I have inquired from Rythmik owner Brian Ding on alternate positions and when I hear back from him, I will relay it to you, if you're interested.
post #3419 of 3419 Old Today, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks healthnut, yeah I have so many questions. My construction thread is very old but you can see the shape of the room and what I'm dealing with. I have been using the speakers in the stage picture for quite a while and they do sound really good but I'm sure no where near the realism and quality of the Sierras. So my sound stage is lower than I'd like, but without an acoustically transparent screen, all three speakers need to go down below in the stage. To put some numbers to it, the stage is 24" at the highest usable level for the tweeters. I built some stands so all three can be placed on their sides and toed up a bit. I'll rotate the tweeters so they are correct for this configuration.

My sub is a 12" 350W deal from a company called elemental designs that I purchased back in 2009. It is a pretty good sub but I've thought about replacing it with a 15" SVS or rythmik down the road. Right now it's located in the bump out on the side of the room and that location seems to perform pretty well. I realize all this is out the window once I get more subs. My thought it the 2 x 8" rythmiks may be great in the front corners and I'll see at that point if the larger sub is necessary.

Sorry if I've highjacked this sierra thread, just wanted any suggestions you guys may have about how best to integrate the new sierra 2s and possibly new Rythmik subs in the future.

Thanks!

Here's the thread I mentioned:
TKNice's Theater Construction Thread

TK

Projector & Screen: Panasonic AE7000u 3D w/HTB Anamorphic Lens & 130" 2.35:1 CIH Screen
Video: DVDO Edge Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 / XPA-3 / UPA-7
Speakers: eD Custom 6T6 Towers, Emotiva UAC-8.2, Emotiva ERD-1s
Subwoofer: eD A3-300 12" 350w Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
Visit My Theater

Last edited by TKNice; Today at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics