post #361 of 3183 Old 07-20-2007, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post

Re interesting comparisons, I'd like to see a comparison between the Sierras and Outlaw Bookshelves. Also, Onix Ref 1s.

Tony,

A comparison between the Ref 1s and the Sierras would interest me as well. I had a pair of Ref 1s and 1.8s but like the 140s over both Refs. I see you are near the Cape I will be going to Marstons Mills tonight for a long weekend, weather looks good .

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3183 Old 07-20-2007, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Weather's supposed to be very nice this weekend. Enjoy.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #363 of 3183 Old 07-20-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

dc,

I would like to compare the Sierra's to my Dynaudio Focus 140s. I might see if I could get a pair of Piano Black in B-stock.

Bill

I did that at a local shop about two weeks ago, along with the B&W 805S. Fairly different presentations...I'd be interested in what you think.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #364 of 3183 Old 07-20-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Tony,

A comparison between the Ref 1s and the Sierras would interest me as well. I had a pair of Ref 1s and 1.8s but like the 140s over both Refs. I see you are near the Cape I will be going to Marstons Mills tonight for a long weekend, weather looks good .

Bill

I've already owned the Ref 1s but sent them back.
The Ref 1s when pushed a bit displayed too much port noise.
On the other hand I haven't been able to get any port noise from the Sierra's.
Very impressive!
I'm sure the Sierra's will faulter at some point, it's just a matter of how and will that fault be something I can live with. Port noise I can't live with
The Dynaudio's is a great suggestion, we'll have to look into it.
I've also owned the B&W 805's, original version, which, while an excellent speaker, was too bright sounding when pushed for my taste.
We'll also look into the Outlaw bookshelves.

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #365 of 3183 Old 07-20-2007, 12:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

I've already owned the Ref 1s but sent them back.
The Ref 1s when pushed a bit displayed too much port noise.
On the other hand I haven't been able to get any port noise from the Sierra's.
Very impressive!
I'm sure the Sierra's will faulter at some point, it's just a matter of how and will that fault be something I can live with. Port noise I can't live with
The Dynaudio's is a great suggestion, we'll have to look into it.
I've also owned the B&W 805's, original version, which, while an excellent speaker, was too bright sounding when pushed for my taste.
We'll also look into the Outlaw bookshelves.

dc

Pretty late to the table but I just picked up some Revel M22's and they seem like great book shelf speakers. Don't know how they would fit your comparisons but would love to hear someone's take on them versus Sierras or Ref 1's or whatever. They retail for a much higher price, but can be had for around $1000.00 and am very curious what other opinions might be.

Thanks
post #366 of 3183 Old 07-20-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHawes View Post

Pretty late to the table but I just picked up some Revel M22's and they seem like great book shelf speakers. Don't know how they would fit your comparisons but would love to hear someone's take on them versus Sierras or Ref 1's or whatever. They retail for a much higher price, but can be had for around $1000.00 and am very curious what other opinions might be.

Thanks

Yes the Revel M22, which I've heard but not owned, would be a great comparsion for the Sierra's. I owned the M20's which were a great little bookshelf, just kind of funny looking
I just ordered a pair of the Outlaw Bookshelf speakers!
Really looking forward to hearing them against the Sierra's.... winner stays, loser goes back.
Or if the Outlaws win, since I'm so taken with the Sierra's sound, they may go into another system.

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #367 of 3183 Old 07-20-2007, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes the Revel M22, which I've heard but not owned, would be a great comparsion for the Sierra's. I owned the M20's which were a great little bookshelf, just kind of funny looking
I just ordered a pair of the Outlaw Bookshelf speakers!
Really looking forward to hearing them against the Sierra's.... winner stays, loser goes back.
Or if the Outlaws win, since I'm so taken with the Sierra's sound, they may go into another system.

dc

I'm interested in your comparison. Keep us posted.

Tony

Hometown team
post #368 of 3183 Old 07-20-2007, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How are you going to "take it into consideration"?

The frequency balance will be skewed with any source material that contains bass, and the Sierra will sound fuller, and better.

Re interesting comparisons, I'd like to see a comparison between the Sierras and Outlaw Bookshelves. Also, Onix Ref 1s.

Our plan is to set both sets of speakers to small, crossed over at 80hz probably, within my processor, set subwoofer on but turn the sub power switch off.
This way both sets of speakers should be on a level playing field, sort of speak.
After that we'll turn the sub on and listen with the sub.
I don't expect the M6's to compete with the Sierra's but then again I didn't expect the Sierra's to compete with the Mythos STs
Spent a few hours today with the Sierra's and Diana Krall's - Girl In The Other Room CD..... it's like I'm listening to this CD for the first time, more like hundreds.
The Sierra's are so damn musical ...............

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #369 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 07:24 AM

I don't understand why you would chop them off a 80hz and turn the sub off. The best part of the Sierra's is the bass detail all the way down to 50hz. I listen to all my music with just 2 channel set to large and HT crossed at 60hz which seems perfect. When I compare speakers I always start at full range and go from there.
post #370 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboman View Post

I don't understand why you would chop them off a 80hz and turn the sub off. The best part of the Sierra's is the bass detail all the way down to 50hz. I listen to all my music with just 2 channel set to large and HT crossed at 60hz which seems perfect. When I compare speakers I always start at full range and go from there.

The idea is to handicap the Sierra's so they better match up against the NHT M6's, which are designed to be used as a T6 with bass modules, which we don't have on hand.
This way we can compare each speakers overall presentation, minus the deep bass.

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #371 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The idea is to handicap the Sierra's so they better match up against the NHT M6's, which are designed to be used as a T6 with bass modules, which we don't have on hand.
This way we can compare each speakers overall presentation, minus the deep bass.

dc

I understand your reasoning, AS LONG as folks are aware that the Sierra's are being handicapped for this test, I see nothing wrong with it.

These Sierras sound damn good, my neighbors must hate me by now!!

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
post #372 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboman View Post

Also the M6's are no where near "full range", they become full range, almost, when you add the the bass modules (B6?) and associated electronics, making them the T6.
In most cases you're right, start full range and go from there.
Getting back to the Sierra's.... these babies keep getting better and better as they "break-in" Bass response is getting deeper, staying tight, and the mid-range is opening up even more. As with most speakers the mid-range is where it's at, imho. This is where the Sierra's presentation really leaves the others behind. It's SO clean, powerful and open. Reminds me of the difference between really good headphones and not so good headphones

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #373 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I just picked up a pair of Polk LSI7s that I am going to be comparing to the Sierras.
post #374 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Look forward to hearing your impressions xcjago.

On with the comparsions.
Today was the Sierra's against the Infinity Prelude MTS Towers (no sub modules just the Towere on the Infinity stands made for them).
This time I put the sub in from the start.
Preludes crossed over at 90hz
Sierra's crossed over at 40hz, this seemed to work best with the Sierra's but still I prefer them full range with no sub.
This was a pretty close call.
The Infinity's have that open, clean midrange, crystal clear highs and with the sub providing the lower frequencies lack of bass was not an issue. They also throw off a huge soundstage with trememdous height, width and depth. The Sierra's held their own here with slightly more depth but not as much height, the Preludes are monsters at this and of course they do stand nearly six feet tall which doesn't hurt.

It's the mid-bass/lower mid-range, in other words the body, where the Sierra's were able to better the Preludes.
Vocals sounded more refine and fuller, again more musical making the Preludes sound a bit empty by comparsion.
Bass lines were much easier to follow, piano richer sounding, percussion instruments sounding more like they should and so on.
But it was close, the Preludes are no slouch
I felt having the sub on the entire time hurt the Sierra's a bit.
They almost sounded too rich, too full.
Took the sub out of the equation and the bloat was gone, just deep, articulate and surprisingly strong bass from these little Sierra's.

More to follow

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #375 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

I understand your reasoning, AS LONG as folks are aware that the Sierra's are being handicapped for this test, I see nothing wrong with it.

These Sierras sound damn good, my neighbors must hate me by now!!

If you are running the NHTs without a sub, they are being handicapped. As has been stated already, they are not meant to be run full range but with a sub. A better test would be something like the Classic Threes which can be run full range and are very close to the Sierras price wise.

Tony

Hometown team
post #376 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you are running the NHTs without a sub, they are being handicapped. As has been stated already, they are not meant to be run full range but with a sub. A better test would be something like the Classic Threes which can be run full range and are very close to the Sierras price wise.

You're right the Classic 3's would be a good match for the Sierra's.
My local friend, an NHTaholic, has the Classic 3's or at least his grilfriend does. I'll get him to borrow them from her and get them invoved in this little shootout.

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #377 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're right the Classic 3's would be a good match for the Sierra's.
My local friend, an NHTaholic, has the Classic 3's or at least his grilfriend does. I'll get him to borrow them from her and get them invoved in this little shootout.

dc

Sounds like a great idea. It will be interesting to see how an $800 B&M model stacks up to an $800 ID model.

Tony

Hometown team
post #378 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

I have compared the Classic Threes and the 340SEs directly in two settings. In my house I thought the speakers were very close, but I preferred the 340 by a slim margin. At another house, in a better room, there was no comparison--the 340s were much better.

There would be no contest vs. the Sierra. YMMV.

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
post #379 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mziegler View Post

I have compared the Classic Threes and the 340SEs directly in two settings. In my house I thought the speakers were very close, but I preferred the 340 by a slim margin. At another house, in a better room, there was no comparison--the 340s were much better.

There would be no contest vs. the Sierra. YMMV.

Based on what I've heard from the Sierra's thus far, you're probably right.
I owned and liked the NHT AZ (Amazing Zero) but preferred, by a large margin, my Ascend 170s (orginal version).
But since it won't cost me anything, but time, I think it would be educational.......
as most comparsions can be.

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #380 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

A comparison between the two is quite fair since they have similar bass response.

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
post #381 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a couple pictures:

The Polk's have pretty nice build quality. They are maybe a pound or two lighter than the Sierras, a little bit wider than the Sierras (because of the side wood panels, a little shorter and about an inch and a half less deep). They have a small front port and larger one in the rear. It also has an interesting built in mounting bracket which has a spike of sort that points into the port and acts as some sort of diffuser.

The piano black finish is not quite as nice as the Sierras. The Sierras have a mirror like finish, among the finest I've ever seen. The Polk's is a little fuzzier with a very slight texture. The cabinet is pretty solid. Seems to be braced quite well.

Sound impressions to follow, I want to let them break in some more.
post #382 of 3183 Old 07-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

do any of the Ascend insiders know if they plan on making an MTM centre?
post #383 of 3183 Old 07-25-2007, 08:24 AM

You mean specifically of the Sierra line or any Ascend MTM center?
post #384 of 3183 Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I too would be happy to see an MTM Sierra, for the center at least.
post #385 of 3183 Old 07-25-2007, 10:16 AM

This is the only MTM center they have. It's an awesome center, but personally I like the Sierra center better. Granted, the Sierra center is just a Sierra front with the tweeter rotated 90-degrees. But it's incredibly clear. In my opinion dialog is most intelligible with the Sierra center.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...c/cmt340c.html
post #386 of 3183 Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I too would be happy to see an MTM Sierra, for the center at least.

Why?

Tony

Hometown team
post #387 of 3183 Old 07-25-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicology View Post

You mean specifically of the Sierra line or any Ascend MTM center?

I talked to Dave last week and he said at this time there was no plans to do a MTM Sierra center.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #388 of 3183 Old 07-25-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

We finally got around to the Sierra vs NHT M6.
Without a sub, no comparsion, it wasn't even close, the Sierra made the M6 sound hollow and empty, all sizzle..... no beef.
With a sub, crossed over at 80hz, the Sierras still bettered the M6s, particularly with their mid-bass smoothness and warmth compared to the M6s.
Switching to the M6s from the Sierra's had the effect of sterilizing the music.
Reminded me of the Infinity Prelude MTS Towers. Some may even prefer this sound, at least until they, if they, A/B them against a speaker like the Sierra's.
Diana Krall's voice (Sierra's) had more throat to it with all the edge you expect to hear. You could get lost in the Sierra's presentation of female vocals, at least I did
Also the Sierra's high end is silky smooth (Seas tweeter), the M6s sounded edgy by comparison.

The Sierra's claim another victory! (IMHO)
Next up, and maybe most interesting, the Outlaw Bookshelves, arriving this Saturday.

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #389 of 3183 Old 07-25-2007, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

dc:

Interesting comparison. I'm not surprised: the NHT has a bit of a cool presentation which always left me just a wanting a tad more warmth. Utilizing the X-1 crossover and fiddling with its adjustments allowed "warming it up" but at the expense of tranparency.

Tony

Hometown team
post #390 of 3183 Old 07-25-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

dc:

Interesting comparison. I'm not surprised: the NHT has a bit of a cool presentation which always left me just a wanting a tad more warmth. Utilizing the X-1 crossover and fiddling with its adjustments allowed "warming it up" but at the expense of tranparency.

Yes the M6 has transparency up the gazoo, so do the Infinity Preludes.

tonygeno,
Do you still have the Outlaw Bookselves? What do you think of them?

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page