***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 227Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #3991 of 4017 Unread 07-19-2016, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 13,725
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Just looked through your posting history and saw you got an F12? And your room size is 11x15 with 7'? The F12 should have enough output for a 1150 cubic foot room (assuming you have doors closed) to pump out some bass. Probably configuration/location problem.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50 & RC-LCR, Ascend CBM-170 SE, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Desktop: Sierra 1 | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3992 of 4017 Unread 07-19-2016, 06:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
A few suggestions to try tonight:

1) Did you rerun your receiver roomEQ? It will have to readjust for the new sub.

2) Bump the subwoofer level up +4 or +5 db on the receiver from where the roomEQ set it. Many of us do that.

3) Try a different location. Subs response can be greatly affected by room placement.

BTW: Which Rythmik sub did you get?
Rythmik F12, I did rerun the audyssey. I had it set at +3db. I got a call from Rythmik tonight and they walked me thru how to set up my reciever. I was doing a couple things wrong. When I get off work tomorrow morning I will reset everything and run the EQ again the correct way and see what happens.

I did put it in a few different spots. Found one that worked the best but wasn't what I was expecting.
Theriddler07sms is offline  
post #3993 of 4017 Unread 07-19-2016, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
justthinking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
Rythmik F12, I did rerun the audyssey. I had it set at +3db. I got a call from Rythmik tonight and they walked me thru how to set up my reciever. I was doing a couple things wrong. When I get off work tomorrow morning I will reset everything and run the EQ again the correct way and see what happens.

I did put it in a few different spots. Found one that worked the best but wasn't what I was expecting.
What kind of subfloor is under your theater room? Suspension plywood or concrete?

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X6200W, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, C380LCR x 4 & Martin Logan Descent I x 2
2 Channel Only - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Bluesound Vault, Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM, Parasound Halo A21 & Martin Logan Depth
Speakers upgrade path : RS1 -> IQ3 -> GS10 -> LS50 -> Sierra-2 -> 805D2 -> Sierra Tower -> ???
justthinking is online now  
post #3994 of 4017 Unread 07-19-2016, 09:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
What kind of subfloor is under your theater room? Suspension plywood or concrete?
concrete floor. I apparently have it set up wrong. I got a call from Rythmik and they outlined the correct settings.
Theriddler07sms is offline  
post #3995 of 4017 Unread 07-19-2016, 10:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 15,427
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked: 4081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
So far I'm not impressed. Thinking I should have went with ported sub.

Have a guy coming over tomorrow to rew my sub and try and see what's going on. It sounds good but I don't feel it. I flip on my half busted $125 ported sub and i can feel and hear a difference.

I have 45 days to love it or ill send it back and get a ported 15
Impressed with your setup skills am not since you don't even mention how you did it. Just what did you do to incorporate the new sub? Subs are largely about your room and integration with your mains, not just plugnplay performance.
lovinthehd is online now  
post #3996 of 4017 Unread 07-19-2016, 10:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Impressed with your reading skills I am not. I did mention I have moved it to different spots and messed with the bass extention and didn't get anywhere.

I didn't put the majority of it on this forum since this is not the rythmik forum nor is it even the subwoofer sub forum.

But thank you for your concern.
Theriddler07sms is offline  
post #3997 of 4017 Unread 07-19-2016, 10:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 15,427
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked: 4081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
Impressed with your reading skills I am not. I did mention I have moved it to different spots and messed with the bass extention and didn't get anywhere.

I didn't put the majority of it on this forum since this is not the rythmik forum nor is it even the subwoofer sub forum.

But thank you for your concern.
LOL but I'll go search for the threads where you posted some actual details....

ps There is nothing to go on in the Rythmik thread except you seem to have no idea....

Last edited by lovinthehd; 07-19-2016 at 10:40 PM.
lovinthehd is online now  
post #3998 of 4017 Unread 07-19-2016, 11:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have never once claimed to be an expert. Actually many times I have stated I am.very new at this.

I didn't just plug and play, I ran room correction. Changed the bass extention to what was stated in the instructions and didn't like it so moved the sub.

Ran room correction, tested with different bass extention than moved on. Rinse and repeat until I discovered something g ws wrong.

That is why I turned to rythmik sight for some guidance. I got it, actually got a call and an explanation on how to set it up thru my room correction and different things to try.

So please tell me where I didn't put in enough detail. Do you need to know the exact distance from sub or speakers to me or other speakers. How far the speakers are off the ground and away from each other? Do you need to know my receiver or the cables I use? What do you need to know that I haven't put in any other forum that I already have an answer for.

There's a reason I didn't put it in this thread, it doesn't belong here. I nearly mentioned I got my SIERRA center speaker and sub, hooked it up and wasn't impressed with the sub.
Theriddler07sms is offline  
post #3999 of 4017 Unread 07-19-2016, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 15,427
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked: 4081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
I have never once claimed to be an expert. Actually many times I have stated I am.very new at this.

I didn't just plug and play, I ran room correction. Changed the bass extention to what was stated in the instructions and didn't like it so moved the sub.

Ran room correction, tested with different bass extention than moved on. Rinse and repeat until I discovered something g ws wrong.

That is why I turned to rythmik sight for some guidance. I got it, actually got a call and an explanation on how to set it up thru my room correction and different things to try.

So please tell me where I didn't put in enough detail. Do you need to know the exact distance from sub or speakers to me or other speakers. How far the speakers are off the ground and away from each other? Do you need to know my receiver or the cables I use? What do you need to know that I haven't put in any other forum that I already have an answer for.

There's a reason I didn't put it in this thread, it doesn't belong here. I nearly mentioned I got my SIERRA center speaker and sub, hooked it up and wasn't impressed with the sub.
Not familiar with the extension control on a Rythmik, will check that out. Sorry to agitate you, but details count if you're going to just drop something like the sub doesn't impress you and you're going to get some other size/design as a solution. What receiver do you use? Cables are your own thing, hopefully you didn't overspend on "audiophile" ones. If you can point me to a link for a thread where you've explained all this, great, that probably would be more appropriate. Just curious mostly, as many people's experiences with subs are setup related IMO (or perhaps expectation related).
lovinthehd is online now  
post #4000 of 4017 Unread 07-19-2016, 11:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Not familiar with the extension control on a Rythmik, will check that out. Sorry to agitate you, but details count if you're going to just drop something like the sub doesn't impress you and you're going to get some other size/design as a solution. What receiver do you use? Cables are your own thing, hopefully you didn't overspend on "audiophile" ones. If you can point me to a link for a thread where you've explained all this, great, that probably would be more appropriate. Just curious mostly, as many people's experiences with subs are setup related IMO (or perhaps expectation related).
Riddlers House Build

That will explain the gear.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/download...quickguide.pdf

the set up guide for rythmik subs can be found here.

Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread

starting at page 814 is when I write about the issue I had and was being given advice from a member of rythmik themself.
Theriddler07sms is offline  
post #4001 of 4017 Unread 07-20-2016, 10:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Looking forward to your impressions, though I would guess the Ascend house sound would sound very different from the Kliphsch's.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've had them for a little less than a day, but since my office is closed this week and my fiance is out of town, I've got a lot of hours in for impressions of the Sierra 2s vs my Klipsch Rf7iis/matching centers and surrounds.

I'm really enjoying this pair of sierra's right now. Running them in 2.1 with an HSU sub. Ran them for 2 hours straight out of the box with the old dirac calculations for my Klipsch because I wanted to just jump in. Even with the wrong room settings, i was impressed with the sound. Once I ran Dirac, I'm REALLY impressed. I ran it with a custom room correction curve flat through the 1000hz range with a 4db gradual drop through the upper frequencies.

Comparisons:
Klipsch advantages- The 7ii's are more dynamic, particularly in the sub 80hz range. Bass drums thump and bass pops in movies. There is no way any bookshelf can compete with that, since the speaker is 8 to 10 times larger than the sierra.
-The reference speakers also have more headroom, so when something blows up in a movie, there is a huge impact vs the sierra. Again, not a surprise since they are hyper efficient. Sierras take about 6 db off the vol knob.

Sierra advantages:
-Everything else. I'm blown away, even though I'm a 5.1 guy running in 2.1.
-RAAL vs horn- comparing the 7ii's vs the sierra, the 7iis have a layered sound. The horn sound sits on top of the rest of the speaker. I can easily pick out where the horn stops and the rest of the speaker starts. Same with the RC64ii center. There are frequencies in both klipsh speakers that that are too low for the horns and too high for the cones to reproduce effectively. With the Sierras, I can't tell exactly where the RAAL stops and the cone starts. Everthing sounds beautifully integrated.
-treble- Both speakers have great clarity in high frequencies, but the sierras are non- fatiguing. The highs are equally clear and present, but they sit on top of the rest of the sound instead of screaming at you in the klipsch.
-mids- Advantage sierra again, since the RAAL and cone are so well integrated. Everything has depth and detail. Voices sound incredibly natural. Mids also have a nice little punch vs the klipsch.
-bass- not a contest, but it shouldn't be. The Sierra's go impressively low for their size, but they aren't made to shake the house. I'm considering an F8 from Rhythmic to help restore some of that pop, but the Sierras exceeded my expectations here.
-cabinet- I'm not talking about looks, but resonance. Along with RAAL, this might be my favorite part. The 7ii's had a bit of a ring in the midbass, less so in the center and surrounds. Sierras have NO ring- the speakers push all of the sound to you and don't leave any audio footprint of their own. Which is why there are so great for imaging and soundstage...speaking of that.
-imaging and sound stage- beautiful. Set about 6 feet apart, i feel like i am hearing sounds about 15 feet apart with a bit of depth. I don't plan to stay in 2.1 for long, but I'm not exactly suffering right now.

Congratulations to Dave and the Ascend staff. I went into this managing expectations and i've been incredibly impressed. I'll be keeping the sierras for sure. I haven't taken the 340s out of the box and may just send back. they are too big for surround duty for me. Which brings up some questions:

I need a center, surrounds and am considering an f8 for midbass to pair with my HSU VF2 MK4 to cover the extreme low end. Is there consensus on a sierra2 center vs horizon? Also, does any have a recommendation on what ascend speaker works best as a surround?
Billy p and smurraybhm like this.
Bglav is offline  
post #4002 of 4017 Unread 07-20-2016, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 15,427
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked: 4081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
Riddlers House Build

That will explain the gear.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/download...quickguide.pdf

the set up guide for rythmik subs can be found here.

Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread

starting at page 814 is when I write about the issue I had and was being given advice from a member of rythmik themself.
Thanks, had already looked at your posts in the Rythmik thread, will pm you as it is off topic for this thread....
lovinthehd is online now  
post #4003 of 4017 Unread 07-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bglav View Post
I've had them for a little less than a day, but since my office is closed this week and my fiance is out of town, I've got a lot of hours in for impressions of the Sierra 2s vs my Klipsch Rf7iis/matching centers and surrounds.

I'm really enjoying this pair of sierra's right now. Running them in 2.1 with an HSU sub. Ran them for 2 hours straight out of the box with the old dirac calculations for my Klipsch because I wanted to just jump in. Even with the wrong room settings, i was impressed with the sound. Once I ran Dirac, I'm REALLY impressed. I ran it with a custom room correction curve flat through the 1000hz range with a 4db gradual drop through the upper frequencies.

Comparisons:
Klipsch advantages- The 7ii's are more dynamic, particularly in the sub 80hz range. Bass drums thump and bass pops in movies. There is no way any bookshelf can compete with that, since the speaker is 8 to 10 times larger than the sierra.
-The reference speakers also have more headroom, so when something blows up in a movie, there is a huge impact vs the sierra. Again, not a surprise since they are hyper efficient. Sierras take about 6 db off the vol knob.

Sierra advantages:
-Everything else. I'm blown away, even though I'm a 5.1 guy running in 2.1.
-RAAL vs horn- comparing the 7ii's vs the sierra, the 7iis have a layered sound. The horn sound sits on top of the rest of the speaker. I can easily pick out where the horn stops and the rest of the speaker starts. Same with the RC64ii center. There are frequencies in both klipsh speakers that that are too low for the horns and too high for the cones to reproduce effectively. With the Sierras, I can't tell exactly where the RAAL stops and the cone starts. Everthing sounds beautifully integrated.
-treble- Both speakers have great clarity in high frequencies, but the sierras are non- fatiguing. The highs are equally clear and present, but they sit on top of the rest of the sound instead of screaming at you in the klipsch.
-mids- Advantage sierra again, since the RAAL and cone are so well integrated. Everything has depth and detail. Voices sound incredibly natural. Mids also have a nice little punch vs the klipsch.
-bass- not a contest, but it shouldn't be. The Sierra's go impressively low for their size, but they aren't made to shake the house. I'm considering an F8 from Rhythmic to help restore some of that pop, but the Sierras exceeded my expectations here.
-cabinet- I'm not talking about looks, but resonance. Along with RAAL, this might be my favorite part. The 7ii's had a bit of a ring in the midbass, less so in the center and surrounds. Sierras have NO ring- the speakers push all of the sound to you and don't leave any audio footprint of their own. Which is why there are so great for imaging and soundstage...speaking of that.
-imaging and sound stage- beautiful. Set about 6 feet apart, i feel like i am hearing sounds about 15 feet apart with a bit of depth. I don't plan to stay in 2.1 for long, but I'm not exactly suffering right now.

Congratulations to Dave and the Ascend staff. I went into this managing expectations and i've been incredibly impressed. I'll be keeping the sierras for sure. I haven't taken the 340s out of the box and may just send back. they are too big for surround duty for me. Which brings up some questions:

I need a center, surrounds and am considering an f8 for midbass to pair with my HSU VF2 MK4 to cover the extreme low end. Is there consensus on a sierra2 center vs horizon? Also, does any have a recommendation on what ascend speaker works best as a surround?


Excellent review! The Horizon will go lower and extend out further into your room, but it's also a good deal more expensive. The 2's would be a great match with your fronts, and if you don't have a huge room, should serve very well for less money. I'd definitely go for the RAAL tweeter either way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
post #4004 of 4017 Unread 07-21-2016, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
avdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bglav View Post
Is there consensus on a sierra2 center vs horizon? Also, does any have a recommendation on what ascend speaker works best as a surround?
While I don't own an Ascend speaker (yet), having thoroughly reviewed the forum the consensus is that if cost is no object the horizon is hands down better than the sierra2. No contest. However, as a value proposition, some have argued for the sierra2. If you can swing it, I would get the horizon.
Once the Ascend staff comes back from vacation, I'm planning to order a Horizon my self along with a Klipsch Palladium center to compare to my Klipsch RC-64II. Once I have some time with them, I'll report back with my findings. With the Palladium being on sale, the price is fairly comparable to the Horizon.
cel4145 likes this.
avdoc is online now  
post #4005 of 4017 Unread 07-21-2016, 04:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Doggone it! Haven't been able to stop thinking about the Horizon now since that earlier conversation came up.
Paulidan XM is offline  
post #4006 of 4017 Unread 07-21-2016, 07:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Finally got my Sierra 1s set up as rears. Finally time to watch some real movies.

Thanks to a fellow member running rew and setting up audyssey correctly the sub sounds amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160721_204631_1469156099336.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1558745  
Theriddler07sms is offline  
post #4007 of 4017 Unread 07-21-2016, 08:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
CCM663 for LCR or Speakercraft aim8 five?
or2baja is offline  
post #4008 of 4017 Unread 07-23-2016, 10:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 59
well, crap. I went from 2.0, to 2.1, to 3.1, to 5.1 and I am still not satisfied. Thanks AVS for breaking my bank and leaving me wanting more haha. Dont get me wrong, Sierra 2's in L/C/R and Sierra 1's at rears with the Rythmik F12 sound amazing. I went from listening from TV speakers to a $5k system in little over a month.

I am going to be ordering a second F12 next month. One, after it was finally set up correctly, was amazing. Duals will just be that much better.

Anyway, If anyone is thinking about selling their Espresso Sierra 1's hit me up I need some surrounds.
lovinthehd likes this.
Theriddler07sms is offline  
post #4009 of 4017 Unread 07-25-2016, 10:30 AM
Member
 
weremichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I currently have a 5.1 system based around a Denon AVR 988 with the following speakers: PSB Image 1B (rear channels), HSU VTF-15H Mk2 (subwoofer), and a PSB Image 8C and a pair of AV123 ELT 525M for the LCR. My wife really likes the sound of the ELTs more than the 1Bs for music, so the 1Bs got booted behind us. Our room is not that conducive to an audiophile soundstage, but I ran Audyssey and adjusted the sound to my wife and my preferences (resetting crossover to 80 from 40 on the LCR and bumping up the bass because the Denon AVR 988 sets it too quiet for our taste).

We listen to a lot of music (Radiohead, Grimes, Bon Iver, Major Lazer, MØ, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Andrew Bird, Jose Gonzalez, Chvrches, The Beastie Boys, The Beach Boys, Bob Marley, Gorillaz, Tom Waits, Bjork, Dead Can Dance, Pink Floyd, Jack White, The Pixies, Beck, Die Antwoord, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Flatbush Zombies, Collie Buddz, Wu Tang Clan, Beats Antique, DeadMau5, Marian Hill, Sufjan Stevens, Griz, Danger Doom, Xavier Rudd........) every day, once a week we watch movies on blu-ray, daily stream media and play games on the PS4 (I normally use a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 with an external mic when I'm playing multiplayer games). So our usage comes out something like 70% Music, 10% Blu-rays, 15% streaming (youtube, netflix etc), 5% PS4 through speakers.

I am considering replacing the LCR with three Sierra-1's. The sub sits in the front corner with the right channel sitting on top of it (not optimal setup I'm sure). The room is 3,240 cubic feet (12 ft wide*27 feet long*10 feet high). I love my little 1920's craftsman house and don't foresee moving, so I have to work with the space we have. Due to the height of the television/height of the entertainment center/sub, I would have to place the LCR on their side. One window (5 feet tall by 3 feet wide) onto the enclosed porch is located next to where the left channel is currently sitting. Are the Sierra-1's a good set of speakers for my application Should I look for a shorter speaker, or will the Sierras work for my room?

Sorry for such a wall of text, but I figured I should give as much info so I can get the best advice.
weremichael is online now  
post #4010 of 4017 Unread 07-25-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 13,725
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by weremichael View Post
Due to the height of the television/height of the entertainment center/sub, I would have to place the LCR on their side.
You would want three Sierra 1 Centers then. My understanding is that Sierra 1 Center is the Sierra 1, only configured for horizontal placement. It may just be that the tweeter has been turned.

Ascend was running a promotion of free return shipping on the Sierra 1s. Call and see if it would apply to a pair of Sierra 1 Centers. If so, might as well demo a pair and see for yourself.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50 & RC-LCR, Ascend CBM-170 SE, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Desktop: Sierra 1 | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is online now  
post #4011 of 4017 Unread 07-25-2016, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
justthinking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by weremichael View Post
I am considering replacing the LCR with three Sierra-1's. The sub sits in the front corner with the right channel sitting on top of it (not optimal setup I'm sure). The room is 3,240 cubic feet (12 ft wide*27 feet long*10 feet high). I love my little 1920's craftsman house and don't foresee moving, so I have to work with the space we have. Due to the height of the television/height of the entertainment center/sub, I would have to place the LCR on their side. One window (5 feet tall by 3 feet wide) onto the enclosed porch is located next to where the left channel is currently sitting. Are the Sierra-1's a good set of speakers for my application Should I look for a shorter speaker, or will the Sierras work for my room?

Sorry for such a wall of text, but I figured I should give as much info so I can get the best advice.
I think getting Sierra-1 will be a lateral move, you may like how it sound better than what you have now but as far as performance is concern, it won't be an obvious upgrade..

If I were you, I would look into getting 3 x Sierra-2 across the front and move the AV123 ELT 525M to surround and sell the PSB Images

Also, since Ascend is offering Free Shipping for in home trial on Sierra-1 and B-Stock sale on Sierra-2, I may even order both S1 and S2 to compare and decide which set to keep..

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X6200W, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, C380LCR x 4 & Martin Logan Descent I x 2
2 Channel Only - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Bluesound Vault, Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM, Parasound Halo A21 & Martin Logan Depth
Speakers upgrade path : RS1 -> IQ3 -> GS10 -> LS50 -> Sierra-2 -> 805D2 -> Sierra Tower -> ???

Last edited by justthinking; 07-25-2016 at 01:39 PM.
justthinking is online now  
post #4012 of 4017 Unread 07-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
I think getting Sierra-1 will be a lateral move, you may like how it sound better than what you have now but as far as performance is concern, it won't be an obvious upgrade..



If I were you, I would look into getting 2 x Sierra-2 across the front and move the AV123 ELT 525M to surround and sell the PSB Images



Also, since Ascend is offering Free Shipping for in home trial on Sierra-1 and B-Stock sale on Sierra-2, I may even order both S1 and S2 to compare and decide which set to keep..


As a Sierra 2 owner, I would agree, provided $ isn't a big issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
post #4013 of 4017 Unread Yesterday, 05:52 PM
Newbie
 
g0ndor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
is the RAAL tweeter used in the sierra-2, the sierra horizon and the sierra tower identical?
tia
g0ndor is online now  
post #4014 of 4017 Unread Yesterday, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tokerblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just a question on the efficiency of the Sierra 2. Any issues with the Denon AVR-X3300W powering a 5.1 using Sierra 2?

105 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz~20 kHz, 0.08% THD)

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...vers/avrx3300w
tokerblue is offline  
post #4015 of 4017 Unread Yesterday, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Tonker, you should not have any issues. I was told by Dave at some point 80w perm chanel would be enough to run Sierra 2s
Theriddler07sms is offline  
post #4016 of 4017 Unread Yesterday, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Go0ndor, the tweeters are not the sam . They are the same.on the tower and horizon but the Sierra 2 uses a thinner tweeter
Theriddler07sms is offline  
post #4017 of 4017 Unread Today, 10:38 AM
Newbie
 
g0ndor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What would be recommended for music listening on a denon x3300w in our living room (roughly 15x20x10, opening to breakfast-kitchen-dining rooms)? Sierra-2, sierra towers with raal, or sierra horizons(vertical orientation) with raal?
Source material will be mostly CD/flac, some Pandora and iTunes...
g0ndor is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off