***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 231Likes

post #4021 of 4031 Old 07-27-2016, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Do you already have a sub (make/model)? Do you like bass heavy music genres? If so, might be better to use a sub with the Sierra 2s for the same budget. Otherwise, the towers make sense to me
i think some of the music we listen to might fall in the "bass heavy" category, but certainly under 20% overall.
don't have a sub and would prefer to avoid getting one for as long as possible, even though this is likely to turn into 5.1 eventually down the road.
i would like speakers that would "fill" our living space with sound, if that makes sense, not just a great HT experience in the MLP.

i hope i got all the terms right - i've been trying to read a lot, but am only getting overwhelmed with info...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4031 Old 07-27-2016, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For that size room, it sounds like the towers (and Horizon for center) would work best for you.

I posted this link in another thread where the OP's situation is somewhat opposite of yours. The link is to a thread on the Ascend forum, that might be worthwhile for you to check out.
You don't need the speakers that poster has (custom vertical Horizons), you can basically substitute the Towers. The implication as far as output is similar. I have about a 14'x14' (opening to larger room)x 7.5' room and the Sierra 2's fill it well. Because I have problems integrating a sub in the room, I'm toying with the idea of stepping up to towers and a horizon center- but I can also easily envision where that will be overkill (and at nearly 3x the cost, likely not worth it) since my listening point is between 7'-10' from each speaker (HT only, so it's a fixed point).
The towers definitely sound more up your alley.
post #4023 of 4031 Old 07-27-2016, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@Paulidan XM
thanks for the link - good read
post #4024 of 4031 Old Yesterday, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ndor View Post
What would be recommended for music listening on a denon x3300w in our living room (roughly 15x20x10, opening to breakfast-kitchen-dining rooms)? Sierra-2, sierra towers with raal, or sierra horizons(vertical orientation) with raal?
Source material will be mostly CD/flac, some Pandora and iTunes...
Since I own all of the above... Towers/RAAL, Horizon/RAAL, 2 Sierra 2's with a leftover center that I will turn into a 7.1 setup all Sierra's. I also have an lv12r sub.

I had a dog pee on my Marantz 7008 and fry the circuit board. I thought everything sounded fantastic with that receiver. I am replacing it with an Aventage 3050. It's here but not set up.

I am now out of an apartment where I couldn't even turn the tv over volume 30 without a complaint so everything has been dormant for a while. I now have a room in a basement with 7' ceilings so thinking I will either add the Sierra Sat's or the HTM-200's for atmos since 7' is too low for up firing speakers. I can't wait to open these up a bit for the first time.

My girlfriend collects fabric and has shelves of folded fabric from floor to ceiling around the back half of the room which should provide some absorption.

Now to your question. I bought the Sierra 2's first. Since they sounded so stinking good I added the towers and horizon that same month. The towers are definitely a superior speaker. They have a much larger and fuller sound stage. They are extremely articulate with amazing non fatiguing highs. Definitely deeper bass but I send that to the Rhythmik. I have only heard them through the 7008 but will report back on the 3050.

If you can afford the towers most definitely. The 2's have punchy bass and are superior to my old swan diva 6's which I dropped and broke... ARRRRGGHH! The truth is the highs on the swans were piercing and bothered me enough to try the raal's on the 2's... Problem solved and a much better sounding speaker than the big swans.

Dave over at Ascend is an electrical engineer and definitely knows what he's doing as evidenced by the quality of these speakers. I am sated and couldn't imagine anything better. I am definitely a fanboy.

Last edited by cranster; Yesterday at 04:00 AM.
post #4025 of 4031 Old Yesterday, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I own the Sierra 2's with RAAL in a 100% home theater setting and have never looked back. I'm a bassaholic and have learned that mid and low bass is best reproduced with dedicated MBM's, subwoofers and Tactile Transducers. I look to the Sierra's primarily for voices and with that, they excel. They also image and soundstage eerily, like the sound is not emanating from the speakers but from some undefined space. I had very expensive Magnepan 3.7's and I like the Sierra 2's better: they're that good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smurraybhm and cel4145 like this.
post #4026 of 4031 Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Random question, but has anyone who owns the Sierra-2's or Sierra towers, ever listened to the EMPtek Impression series in comparison? (I understand they are at two totally different price points, but am thinking about upgrading. I'm really just wondering if there truly would be a night and day difference here.

I've been reading through countless posts in this thread and am curious as to the comparison (if there even is one) between these two lines of speakers. I currently own the EMPtek speakers and am looking to go another route, hopefully in the right direction. The Ascend's have my eye or is it ear?

Thanks in advance guys/gals.
post #4027 of 4031 Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked: 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I own the Sierra 2's with RAAL in a 100% home theater setting and have never looked back. I'm a bassaholic and have learned that mid and low bass is best reproduced with dedicated MBM's, subwoofers and Tactile Transducers. I look to the Sierra's primarily for voices and with that, they excel. They also image and soundstage eerily, like the sound is not emanating from the speakers but from some undefined space. I had very expensive Magnepan 3.7's and I like the Sierra 2's better: they're that good!
Yes, you mentioned this before. But I think you stated in a previous post that you could never get the 3.7i’s to sound like they did in the store, which I understand.

Speaker preference is just that, a preference. We are all after speakers that play to our preferences. That you prefer a speaker that is half the price of the Maggies is a terrific find. So truly, congratulations! The Sierra towers are a nice speaker indeed. But there are two sides of a coin. Many will prefer the Maggies over the Sierra’s, and some, like you, won’t. To me and my son, it really wasn’t much of a contest. That is how radical speaker preferences can be .

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4028 of 4031 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked: 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_take_one View Post
Random question, but has anyone who owns the Sierra-2's or Sierra towers, ever listened to the EMPtek Impression series in comparison? (I understand they are at two totally different price points, but am thinking about upgrading. I'm really just wondering if there truly would be a night and day difference here.

I've been reading through countless posts in this thread and am curious as to the comparison (if there even is one) between these two lines of speakers. I currently own the EMPtek speakers and am looking to go another route, hopefully in the right direction. The Ascend's have my eye or is it ear?

Thanks in advance guys/gals.
I own the EMP Teks. I had a 3.1 setup of the R5Bi’s for well over a year before I opted to try out the towers (R55Ti’s) and expand to a 5.1 setup. While there wasn’t a big difference between the two setups, I did feel there was just enough difference to keep the towers and use the R5Bi’s as surrounds (which totally wastes their capability).

I also went to Ascend Acoustics and auditioned their Sierra towers (with ribbons) for over an hour, then auditioned the Sierra 2’s (with ribbons) for another hour.

The Ascend towers and Sierra 2’s are quite different sounding speakers, but I enjoyed each one for the different elements they brought to the table. No, they won’t sound similar to the EMPs, which appears to be what you are after. Do I consider the Sierra 2’s to be better than the R5Bi’s? Yes. Do I consider the Sierra towers to be better than the EMPs? Yes. Did I buy either speaker? No, but I certainly enjoyed the audition. Matter-of-fact, the more expensive speakers I hear, the more I appreciate what the EMPs can do for their price.

Find out what the shipping costs will be and audition the Ascends. There is not much NOT to like . But you need to find that out for yourself.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4029 of 4031 Old Today, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
I own the EMP Teks. I had a 3.1 setup of the R5Bi’s for well over a year before I opted to try out the towers (R55Ti’s) and expand to a 5.1 setup. While there wasn’t a big difference between the two setups, I did feel there was just enough difference to keep the towers and use the R5Bi’s as surrounds (which totally wastes their capability).

I also went to Ascend Acoustics and auditioned their Sierra towers (with ribbons) for over an hour, then auditioned the Sierra 2’s (with ribbons) for another hour.

The Ascend towers and Sierra 2’s are quite different sounding speakers, but I enjoyed each one for the different elements they brought to the table. No, they won’t sound similar to the EMPs, which appears to be what you are after. Do I consider the Sierra 2’s to be better than the R5Bi’s? Yes. Do I consider the Sierra towers to be better than the EMPs? Yes. Did I buy either speaker? No, but I certainly enjoyed the audition. Matter-of-fact, the more expensive speakers I hear, the more I appreciate what the EMPs can do for their price.

Find out what the shipping costs will be and audition the Ascends. There is not much NOT to like . But you need to find that out for yourself.
Thank you very much for the response! I totally understand I need to just audition these speakers and find out for myself. The tough thing is determining whether the difference in sound quality is worth the step up in price! Gotta love this hobby!
post #4030 of 4031 Old Today, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i'm kinda confused on the website pricing, for tower speakers it says $1998 per pair, does this come with the raal twitter already or no?
post #4031 of 4031 Old Today, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysher View Post
i'm kinda confused on the website pricing, for tower speakers it says $1998 per pair, does this come with the raal twitter already or no?
No. The standard for the towers and horizon is the Nrt tweeter. The RAAL is additional $700 for the towers, or $350 for the Horizon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page