***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 138 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 262Likes

post #4111 of 4134 Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1860
Need advice on Ascend Sierra Horizon color. Time to order one. What's been holding me back has been a good TV riser that fits. Someone on the Ascend forum pointed me to here, and now I have a custom one on the way: http://www.syracusetvrisers.com/products.php

I already have some Ascend Sierra 1s in dark cherry. They look about like this

(not my picture)

When I look at the Sierra Horizon pics, they seem a good bit lighter:

Just wondering for anyone with the Horizon in cherry. Does it tend to run darker, or lighter like the product pic from Ascend's website? I know product pics can often look brighter. I dark cherry finishes. But if the Horizon is a lot lighter than the Sierra 1, I'd probably go with the Espresso. Eventually I'll probably end up ordering either matching Sierra 2s or Towers. I know it won't be exact if I don't order at the same time. That's OK

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50 & RC-LCR, Ascend CBM-170 SE, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Desktop: Sierra 1 | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 4134 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Damn,those gloss cherry look sick. Might have to look into gloss espresso towers :-)
post #4113 of 4134 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
Damn,those gloss cherry look sick. Might have to look into gloss espresso towers :-)
Yeah. I forgot to mention. I have the Satin Sierra 1s. I like the Satin finish better. But I could see how someone might like the gloss

HT: Energy RC-50 & RC-LCR, Ascend CBM-170 SE, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 | DX50 | E12
post #4114 of 4134 Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
That's a beautiful speaker you posted, cel. I think the Sierra 2's I auditioned were done in expresso. All finely engineered cabinets in the Sierra line (love those rounded corners) and they have veneers for a wide variety of tastes.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4115 of 4134 Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
That's a beautiful speaker you posted, cel. I think the Sierra 2's I auditioned were done in expresso. All finely engineered cabinets in the Sierra line (love those rounded corners) and they have veneers for a wide variety of tastes.

Just a minor correction, all of the cabinets in our Sierra line are real hardwood (layered bamboo). We do not use any type of veneer - the various finishes we offer are achieved by either dying or painting the bamboo itself.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #4116 of 4134 Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread***

I can't wait for my renno to be done so I can audition some ascends !
post #4117 of 4134 Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
Just a minor correction, all of the cabinets in our Sierra line are real hardwood (layered bamboo). We do not use any type of veneer - the various finishes we offer are achieved by either dying or painting the bamboo itself.
Thanks for the correction, Dave.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4118 of 4134 Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So is the Horizon cherry finish real close to the Sierra 1 cherry satin finish (which I already have)? It's hard to tell from pictures. I like very dark cherry finishes. But I don't like it once it starts to get lighter in color. Just trying to decide so I can order

post #4119 of 4134 Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
can you get finish samples from ascend ?
ambesolman likes this.
post #4120 of 4134 Old Today, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Just wondering for anyone with the Horizon in cherry. Does it tend to run darker, or lighter like the product pic from Ascend's website? I know product pics can often look brighter. I dark cherry finishes. But if the Horizon is a lot lighter than the Sierra 1, I'd probably go with the Espresso. Eventually I'll probably end up ordering either matching Sierra 2s or Towers. I know it won't be exact if I don't order at the same time. That's OK
I have the Towers and Horizon in satin black and the pictures on the site are indeed a lot lighter than the speakers look in person, so I wouldn't be worried. I think it's the combination of incredible photography lighting with a white backdrop, it makes them look a lot brighter so that you can see all of the detail that's there. I wouldn't be worried about a mismatch.
cel4145 likes this.

PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Marantz AV7701 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers/Horizon Center with RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM 200 SE (surrounds), Dual Rythmik F12 subs
post #4121 of 4134 Old Today, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
I have the Towers and Horizon in satin black and the pictures on the site are indeed a lot lighter than the speakers look in person, so I wouldn't be worried. I think it's the combination of incredible photography lighting with a white backdrop, it makes them look a lot brighter so that you can see all of the detail that's there. I wouldn't be worried about a mismatch.
Thanks. About an hour or so ago, I realized I was just 2nd guessing myself and placed the order. Good to know, though

Can't wait to hear the Horizon. Then I have a couple of months before I'll decide on the Sierra 2s or the Sierra Towers for the left/right.

post #4122 of 4134 Old Today, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So is the Horizon cherry finish real close to the Sierra 1 cherry satin finish (which I already have)? It's hard to tell from pictures. I like very dark cherry finishes. But I don't like it once it starts to get lighter in color. Just trying to decide so I can order

The Horizon cabinets are built by our local cabinet maker. Standard Sierra-1 cabinets are built by our overseas cabinet maker -- the finishes are quite different.

We do have Sierra-1 cabinets built by our local cabinet maker that have the same finish. Please give us a call to discuss various options if you want everything to match.

Take care!

David Fabrikant

post #4123 of 4134 Old Today, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ndor View Post
Can anyone comment on whether the towers in satin espresso are a good color combination with a PSA sub in espresso?
Your specific request...made to order. That was one of my color choices for my former sub(xs30se). I opted for the cordovan cherry...samples are atop my espresso STC....

Swatches left>cordovan cherry, center>espresso, right>american cherry...iirc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STC with samples - Copy.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1619209   Click image for larger version

Name:	bOTH.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1619217  
cel4145 and ambesolman like this.

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo BDP-103,
Apple TV+ Giga 1800

Sub{ Funk Audio 18" in Santos Rosewood>months end}
Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Last edited by Billy p; Today at 03:50 PM. Reason: color samples explained
post #4124 of 4134 Old Today, 06:29 PM

Quote:
The Horizon cabinets are built by our local cabinet maker. Standard Sierra-1 cabinets are built by our overseas cabinet maker -- the finishes are quite different.

We do have Sierra-1 cabinets built by our local cabinet maker that have the same finish. Please give us a call to discuss various options if you want everything to match.

Take care!
If I have Sierra 2's in espresso will the espresso horizon be a big difference in color? I just sent back a sierra center due to the color difference bother me alot more than I thought it would. I know the real answer is to do towers and horizon for exact colors but not in the budget this year.
post #4125 of 4134 Old Today, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Take care!
I'm not too worried if the differ a little. I was just wondering more about how dark it was relative to the Sierra 1.

But, when it all came down to it, I decided if I don't like the color, I'll ship it back and get another. So looking forward to getting it

post #4126 of 4134 Old Today, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If I have Sierra 2's in espresso will the espresso horizon be a big difference in color? I just sent back a sierra center due to the color difference bother me alot more than I thought it would. I know the real answer is to do towers and horizon for exact colors but not in the budget this year.

Let's not confuse people here. You are sending back your Sierra-2 center because you ordered the center in satin cherry while your mains are espresso. Of course they don't match, but you wanted to take advantage of b-stock pricing, for which we have sold through all b-stock espresso cabinets.

The US built Horizon cabinet in espresso is lighter in color than your b-stock espresso Sierra-2. If you want matching cabinets, simply give us a call and discuss with Dina.

David Fabrikant

post #4127 of 4134 Old Today, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not too worried if the differ a little. I was just wondering more about how dark it was relative to the Sierra 1.

But, when it all came down to it, I decided if I don't like the color, I'll ship it back and get another. So looking forward to getting it

As you know, these are real hardwood cabinets and there can and will be significant color variations from one batch of bamboo to another. It is always best to order the speakers together at the same time so that we can cosmetically match them.

That said, cherry Sierra-1 (standard cabinets) are generally quite a bit darker than the Horizon cherry. I'd recommend giving us a call - Dina can text you some photos if you'd like to compare the differences before we proceed on building your Horizon.

David Fabrikant

post #4128 of 4134 Old Today, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Let's not confuse people here. You are sending back your Sierra-2 center because you ordered the center in satin cherry while your mains are espresso. Of course they don't match, but you wanted to take advantage of b-stock pricing, for which we have sold through all b-stock espresso cabinets.

The US built Horizon cabinet in espresso is lighter in color than your b-stock espresso Sierra-2. If you want matching cabinets, simply give us a call and discuss with Dina.
haha yeah I should have elaborated a bit. I had purchased the Cherry color since it was the only color left for B-stock. I have a dark theater and knew buying them the color was going to be different. I didn't know how different of if it would have even mattered in my room. With the grills on the color wasn't as noticable but once the grills were removed it was easily apparent, even with lights off and movie playing. So I sent it back and will pick up a horizon down the road.

The Towers are from the same cabinet place as the horizon correct? I had plans on buying RAAL towers eventually. Maybe buying a Espresso Horizon will force that decision along faster haha.

Quote:
As you know, these are real hardwood cabinets and there can and will be significant color variations from one batch of bamboo to another. It is always best to order the speakers together at the same time so that we can cosmetically match them.
Should I wait until I have the funds to purchase the towers and RAAL together to get the perfect match? If thats the case I might have to order an S2 center IN ESPRESSO this time to hold me out until next summer time frame when I can get both towers and horizon.

Last edited by Theriddler07sms; Today at 07:32 PM.
post #4129 of 4134 Old Today, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
haha yeah I should have elaborated a bit. I had purchased the Cherry color since it was the only color left for B-stock. I have a dark theater and knew buying them the color was going to be different. I didn't know how different of if it would have even mattered in my room. With the grills on the color wasn't as noticable but once the grills were removed it was easily apparent, even with lights off and movie playing. So I sent it back and will pick up a horizon down the road.

The Towers are from the same cabinet place as the horizon correct? I had plans on buying RAAL towers eventually. Maybe buying a Espresso Horizon will force that decision along faster haha.

Should I wait until I have the funds to purchase the towers and RAAL together to get the perfect match? If thats the case I might have to order an S2 center IN ESPRESSO this time to hold me out until next summer time frame when I can get both towers and horizon.

Yep - towers and horizons from the same cabinet maker - we also have Sierra-1 and Sierra-2 cabinets from this same vendor

If you want an exact match, it is recommended to purchase the towers and horizon together at the same time. But since you are in a dark room, I doubt you would notice any differences if ordering at different times - it is subtle at best as this cabinet maker has become quite good at keeping colors consistent even when the bamboo itself has significant variations.

For example, if you went with the espresso Horizon now and the towers in 6 months, the color matching will be good, not perfect -- but there is really no such thing as a perfect color match, even with different batches of veneers. Hardwood is tricky, grains vary - oils in the wood, sugar content (which darkens the bamboo when it is goes through the heating process) all influence the color when dyed.

David Fabrikant

post #4130 of 4134 Old Today, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I understand. I have a 100+ year old house with all oak hardwood doors, windows, window trim, baseboards, and floors. Differences in wood grain and the lumber used alone cause some variations. You can't get away from it when working with wood.

Quote:
That said, cherry Sierra-1 (standard cabinets) are generally quite a bit darker than the Horizon cherry. I'd recommend giving us a call - Dina can text you some photos if you'd like to compare the differences before we proceed on building your Horizon.
I might contact Dina then. I'm not worried about some variation. I just don't like standard cherry finish that tends to be very red. The Sierra 1 looks good, though, because it's very dark. A side by side picture of Sierra 1 and Horizon would tell me for sure.

post #4131 of 4134 Old Today, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I might contact Dina then. I'm not worried about some variation. I just don't like standard cherry finish that tends to be very red. The Sierra 1 looks good, though, because it's very dark. A side by side picture of Sierra 1 and Horizon would tell me for sure.

I'd recommend it -- assembling, testing, cleaning and packaging horizons is quite a bit of work. I would hate for us both to spend all this time and expense only to have you not be happy with the color. What we can do is I can have one of my guys pull the darkest of the cherry cabinets and then Dina can text you a pic. I feel the picture of the Horizon on our facebook page is quite accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1619833  

David Fabrikant

post #4132 of 4134 Old Today, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Yep - towers and horizons from the same cabinet maker - we also have Sierra-1 and Sierra-2 cabinets from this same vendor

If you want an exact match, it is recommended to purchase the towers and horizon together at the same time. But since you are in a dark room, I doubt you would notice any differences if ordering at different times - it is subtle at best as this cabinet maker has become quite good at keeping colors consistent even when the bamboo itself has significant variations.

For example, if you went with the espresso Horizon now and the towers in 6 months, the color matching will be good, not perfect -- but there is really no such thing as a perfect color match, even with different batches of veneers. Hardwood is tricky, grains vary - oils in the wood, sugar content (which darkens the bamboo when it is goes through the heating process) all influence the color when dyed.

Thanks for the heads up. I will (hopefully) order a horizon next month. Than I will be set until next spring/summer when I get the urge to order towers.

Almost forgot about the Satellite speakers coming out this year. Gotta make some financial room for them too hahah.
post #4133 of 4134 Old Today, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'd recommend it -- assembling, testing, cleaning and packaging horizons is quite a bit of work. I would hate for us both to spend all this time and expense only to have you not be happy with the color. What we can do is I can have one of my guys pull the darkest of the cherry cabinets and then Dina can text you a pic. I feel the picture of the Horizon on our facebook page is quite accurate.
Since your last post, I went ahead and emailed your customer service address.

Still hard to tell because lighting, difference in computer screens--photos on computers are just not good for judging color. Looks a lot lighter than the Sierra 1. If you have any pictures of a Sierra 1 next to a Horizon, that would tell me because I can see the relative difference.

post #4134 of 4134 Old Today, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Hello ascend owners! I've been eyeballing and reading reviews of the raal towers for a couple of years now. The raal tweeters seem to get a lot of accolades along with the Sierra 2s themselves.
Currently I'm running a 7.2 Monitor Audio Silver RX setup (last gen) with rx8 as LR, rx center, and rx1s for wides and surrounds all in their rosenut finish which I really like. So much so that I was able to almost perfectly match my DIY sub to it. This setup sounds great with movies and music and isn't really lacking anything, but kinda feel like I want to try something else, especially for music. That said, I have a few questions...

1. Are there different versions of the raal used or are they they same in all the speakers? If different, how so?

2. Which finish do you think would most closely match the rosenut of the MAs and my sub? Satin dark cherry?

3. Is there anyone in the atlanta area with either the raal towers or the Sierra 2 that would possibly be willing to let me demo them? (I'll bring beer!)

I'd order a set myself to try out but currently pretty strapped for cash. We're are about to close on another house and gonna have to float two mortgages until the old one sells

Any help would be appreciated!

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page