***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 387Likes
post #4411 of 4429 Unread 11-28-2016, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan XM View Post
So I finally leave to run some errands and of course when I get back there's a big box waiting for me in the driveway

Not Ascends fault, this is totally on UPS as they never updated the tracking scans at any point in the process.
Glad it wasn't raining, wet, or snowing.

will get it set up tonight and try to take some pics.
Yeah for it never works out that way, I usually get home to find out they sent the package "signature required" which of course was never mentioned when I ordered it, can't wait to see your pics.

VIDEO: Mitsubishi WD-92840 - Samsung BD-J7500 - Sony BDP-CX960 - HTPC -Xbox One
AUDIO: XTZ Cinema Series M6 L/C/R - XTZ Cinema Series S5 Surrounds- HSU VTF-3 MK4 Sub - Marantz AV7702mkII - Emotiva XPA-5 gen2 - Blue Jean Cable Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4429 Unread 11-30-2016, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Apologies for the quality of the pics. Cheap phone, and my hands aren't as steady as they used to be.

There are are some odd reflections, but I took shots from each end so you should be able to tell what is an optical anomaly and what is the (quality of) the actual finish.

The third and fourth pics show the satin espresso Sierra 2. Unlike many other posters, I had no trouble at all seeing why they were earmarked as B stock.
The blemishes on the finish are minor, and given the low and indirect lighting in the HT, I can't say I notice the imperfections at all. They were priced and sold as B Stock. That's what I paid for and that's what I got.
Performance wise- while I wasn't overly impressed with them initially, I've come to greatly appreciate what qualities they offer over the more than serviceable 170's.
The Espresso looks MUCH lighter under the flash here. The darker planes visible in the pics are closer to what I see in the room.

The last three pics are an Airmotiv 5 and CBM 170, both of which have basic vinyl wraps compared to the textured paint of the Horizon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_052227.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1798753   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_052324.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1798761   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_053031.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1798769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_052717.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1798777   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_053113.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1798785  

Name:	20161129_053340.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1798793   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_053826.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1798801   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_053835.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1798809  
ambesolman likes this.
post #4413 of 4429 Unread 11-30-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Liked: 2797
Quote:
Apologies for the quality of the pics. Cheap phone, and my hands aren't as steady as they used to be.
That's no excuse!

I know what you mean. I just bought a new Nikon camera kit from BF/CM sales. It comes with a 70mm to 300mm zoom, but no image stabilization. So I ordered the 50mm to 200mm with image stabilization to go with it and will sell the longer telephoto. I know I cannot handle a zoom well without it.

So we understand and thank you for your photos

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
post #4414 of 4429 Unread Yesterday, 01:07 PM

So how common is it to have one tower delivered before the second?

I got one in this morning, but no sign of the other yet. The original delivery estimate was for tomorrow anyway, so I'm hoping I'll see the other half then.

Just wondering if anyone else had this kind of experience.
post #4415 of 4429 Unread Yesterday, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:

I got one in this morning, but no sign of the other yet. The original delivery estimate was for tomorrow anyway, so I'm hoping I'll see the other half then.

That's very common with UPS. Track your package with UPS and check if the other speaker in not delayed.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Polk LSiM705s, LSiM706C, LSiM703s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet + Duet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #4416 of 4429 Unread Yesterday, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Yeah...UPS sometimes splits up boxes.
post #4417 of 4429 Unread Yesterday, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Aww man don't tell me that I just for my tracking number today for my Towers/Horizon being shipped today.

AUDIO: XTZ Cinema Series M6 L/C/R - XTZ Cinema Series S5 Surrounds- HSU VTF-3 MK4 Sub - Marantz AV7702mkII - Emotiva XPA-5 gen2 - Blue Jean Cable Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable
post #4418 of 4429 Unread Yesterday, 02:31 PM

Ok then, I won't start worrying till after tomorrow (if the other one doesn't show up).

Was going to spin Tora Tora Tora tonight. Would have been nice to inaugurate the Towers with that, but it looks like it'll be the last gasp for the S2s instead. At least for a little while.
post #4419 of 4429 Unread Yesterday, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Ok then, I won't start worrying till after tomorrow (if the other one doesn't show up).

Was going to spin Tora Tora Tora tonight. Would have been nice to inaugurate the Towers with that, but it looks like it'll be the last gasp for the S2s instead. At least for a little while.
What finish did you order for the tower? Black matte to match the horizon? Wondering what your plan is for the Sierra-2 once the tower arrives...

Since the towers were shipped in 2 boxes, there should be 2 separated tracking number

I would use the tracking info to find out where is the other box

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X6200W, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, 4 x C380LCR & 2 x Martin Logan Descent I
Music Only - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Bluesound Vault, Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM, Parasound Halo A21 & SVS SB13 Ultra
Speakers upgrade path : RS1 -> IQ3 -> GS10 -> LS50 -> Sierra-2 -> 805D2 -> Sierra Tower -> ???

Last edited by justthinking; Yesterday at 02:42 PM.
post #4420 of 4429 Unread Yesterday, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Do you have the one unboxed? If so lets see that sucker.

post #4421 of 4429 Unread Yesterday, 04:22 PM

UPS sent a "Update- Delivered" email which made no mention of another package due. I had dig out the original Invoice email which had the separate tracking #s.
And yeah, the other is still due for tomorrow.

Quote:
What finish did you order for the tower? Black matte to match the horizon? Wondering what your plan is for the Sierra-2 once the tower arrives...
Yeah, I finally cried "Uncle" and just went with black matte. With the Horizon, it did seem to tame the glare I was getting on the beveled edge a bit. Didn't fully extinguish it, but it's a much more tolerable degree and not very distracting. I might have been OK if I'd gone with one of the Satin finishes for the towers, considering where they would be placed and how they'd be angled, but better safe than sorry.

Last edited by Paulidan XM; Today at 04:47 AM.
post #4422 of 4429 Unread Today, 04:34 AM

Looks like the joke is on me, again.

I give up.
Didn't notice the sticker until I was moving the box out of the way.
I thought it must be just mislabeled like the Sierra 2 pair I got that was marked as Dark Cherry but were actually the Espresso as ordered.
But nope, the sticker said Espresso on the box and that's what was inside.
I went back and checked the PDF invoice (which I hadn't done before- was more concerned with the tracking numbers and making sure UPS scanned everything properly this time). Sure enough, the invoice is for a pair of satin espresso
Can't really put all the blame on Dina as I changed my order about 5 times since placing it in July. Thought I'd been clear in the last conversation, but I guess I just muddied up the water even more.

Not real keen on shipping these back and forth and waiting another month or more to get the matte. I set this one up after I was all done with the PJ, so I'll have to check tonight to see if there are any distracting glares, before I even bother un boxing the second one. The Horizon was a PITA to wrap up and ship back and these look like they'll be even worse. And three times more expensive to boot.
Grrrr.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	duo espresso.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1816585  

Last edited by Paulidan XM; Today at 04:51 AM.
post #4423 of 4429 Unread Today, 07:17 AM

Quote:

I give up.
I thought it must be just mislabeled like the Sierra 2 pair I got that was marked as Dark Cherry but were actually the Espresso as ordered.
I went back and checked the PDF invoice (which I hadn't done before- was more concerned with the tracking numbers and making sure UPS scanned everything properly this time). Sure enough, the invoice is for a pair of satin espresso
Can't really put all the blame on Dina as I changed my order about 5 times since placing it in July. Thought I'd been clear in the last conversation, but I guess I just muddied up the water even more.

Not real keen on shipping these back and forth and waiting another month or more to get the matte. I set this one up after I was all done with the PJ, so I'll have to check tonight to see if there are any distracting glares, before I even bother un boxing the second one. The Horizon was a PITA to wrap up and ship back and these look like they'll be even worse. And three times more expensive to boot.
Grrrr.
Sorry you are having so much trouble makes me a bit nervous I went back and check my order just to make sure it was labeled correct "Black Matte".
So you are switching the Horizon from NRT to the RAAL and getting the Towers with RAAL as well? Your S2's are just the NRT tweeter now?

post #4424 of 4429 Unread Today, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Sorry you are having so much trouble makes me a bit nervous I went back and check my order just to make sure it was labeled correct "Black Matte".
So you are switching the Horizon from NRT to the RAAL and getting the Towers with RAAL as well? Your S2's are just the NRT tweeter now?
LOL.
I'm sure if you make just one order and leave it, you'll be fine.

What happened was I had originally ordered the Horizon in black satin to be delivered in September, with an order in for the Towers to be delivered late Oct/early Nov. also likely in black satin but possibly espresso (I would confirm closer to shipping which)
I wanted to give plenty of lead time on the towers so that I could have them sent as soon as I finished work on the road and got home end of Oct.
I got the Horizon in and realized that the satin black was going to be too shiny so I made plans to send it back and have them change cabinets with a matte black.
I talked to Dina almost immediately after getting it, and since I was strapped for time, she let me wait until I was finally done and off the road in Oct to send it back.

While I was still on the road, I asked several times for pics showing both the Asian and American Espresso cabinets side by side because I knew there was a difference in the coloring and shading and wanted to make sure I was going to be OK with it before I fully signed off on the Espresso. Dina said she would get them out to me, but she never did.
At some point in mid Oct, I realized that I didn't want to take a chance on any shiny surfaces and matte black was the way I should go. It took me a while to be fully comfortable with that, as I've posted before at these price points it seemed a shame to not have a nice wood finish visible. But given it's primary function, black matte just made so much more sense. I called up mid October and I wanted to "finalize" the order and go with Black matte.
Throughout this whole process, RAALs were always the one thing that didn't change.

That was until a few weeks back when I got the bright idea to switch to NrTs (still in black matte). The ribbons were taking forever to get resupplied, the NrTs were recommended by Dave for HT over the RAALs, other people here had mixed and matched RAAL and NrT across the front and been happy, and they were $700 less. It seemed like that was the way to go.
So I called up talked to Dina and changed the order again. During that call she told me they were just getting around to checking over the Horizon I'd sent back and that once it was OK'd, they would get to work on swapping out the cabinets on it.
What seemed like a good idea (going with NrTs for the towers) didn't sit well with me after I'd made it. So the very next day I called back and after talking to both Dina and Dave, decided to just stick with the RAALs. I told Dina "Just go back to the original order" which in my mind was 'RAAL with Black Matte finish'. And I thought I'd added that at the end to make sure that was clear. I thought I remembered specifically saying "That's RAALs with Black matte, right?".
Apparently I must not have as she went back to the original, preliminary order from July where I said "either black satin or espresso, but I'll let you know".

Hard for me to blame Dina, as I realize I've not been the easiest customer to deal with.

I'll set these up and if they work, probably just keep them. If they don't, they'll go back and I'll just keep what I have (the S2s and Horizon). At that point I'll have wasted close to $500 just on shipping speakers back and forth. They're good sounding speakers, but that's getting ridiculous.
post #4425 of 4429 Unread Today, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:

I give up.

Grrrr.

Paul,

My sincere apologies. You had ordered satin espresso towers and a satin black bamboo horizon and then after receiving the horizon, sent it back to us to exchange for black matte because of reflections from your TV. Unfortunately, after checking our records and confirming with Dina (she is extremely meticulous about these things) - there is no communication from you that you wanted to change the finish of your towers. In fact, Dina sent you a confirmation email prior to shipping the towers to you on 12/1 with attached order information clearly indicating satin espresso towers (those order confirmations are specifically sent to catch any potential problems prior to shipping)

In fact, during testing of your towers, I remember asking Dina directly about the satin espresso finish because we had just recently sent you the black matte horizon. She said that you still wanted espresso for the towers, and that is what you received.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment, you changed your order so many times and we properly tracked this each and every time, delivering exactly what you ordered from us each time. You had ordered Satin Espresso Sierra-2 from us and that is also what you received, as far as mislabeling on this box - we re-label each box we ship with our own label to properly identify the finish, rather than use what might be printed on the box (which can often be wrong). On occasion, the label we adhere might fall off during transit - but we do know which finish we are shipping I really don't know what more we could have done for you.

Again, I want to stress that we fully and properly fulfilled each of your orders. We can not be responsible for early or late or partial deliveries from UPS - that is the nature of shipping during the holiday season. As far as the lead times go, we made you aware at each step of the way that there were delays due to cabinet production and ribbon tweeter deliveries. I even put you ahead of some other orders just so we could quickly swap horizon components (quite a bit of work which you were not charged for) in order to get the black matte horizon back to you without waiting for the new shipment of RAAL's to arrive.

All that said, should you want to exchange the satin espresso towers for black matte, we can arrange for that as well, the same as we did with your Horizon center, but we will need to know very soon as stock on tower cabinets is getting low very quickly.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #4426 of 4429 Unread Today, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post

Please don't be concerned about your order. Each order we ship is QC'd by a minimum of (3) people prior to shipping. While mistakes do happen on our end (no company is perfect) - it is quite rare, maybe 2-3 per year on average and considering how many speakers we ship in a year, this is an unbelievably low percentage. That said, communication with us and double checking order confirmation emails is important so that corrections/changes to an order can be implemented prior to shipping...

Enjoy!!!

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #4427 of 4429 Unread Today, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
Please don't be concerned about your order. Each order we ship is QC'd by a minimum of (3) people prior to shipping. While mistakes do happen on our end (no company is perfect) - it is quite rare, maybe 2-3 per year on average and considering how many speakers we ship in a year, this is an unbelievably low percentage. That said, communication with us and double checking order confirmation emails is important so that corrections/changes to an order can be implemented prior to shipping...

Enjoy!!!
I was just joking about being nervous was just commenting on the previous posters woes. And my order was correct and just sitting here waiting for them to show up.
Really can't to hear what sound the RAAL tweeters can provide, I listen to music but mostly HT, I think I am most excited to hear the Horizon w/RAAL.

Thanks for taking your time to help out on the forums, this is on of the reason I went with a HSU sub last year is the owners presence on the boards to help answer questions.

post #4428 of 4429 Unread Today, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
My sincere apologies. You had ordered satin espresso towers and a satin black bamboo horizon and then after receiving the horizon, sent it back to us to exchange for black matte because of reflections from your TV. Unfortunately, after checking our records and confirming with Dina (she is extremely meticulous about these things) - there is no communication from you that you wanted to change the finish of your towers. In fact, Dina sent you a confirmation email prior to shipping the towers to you on 12/1 with attached order information clearly indicating satin espresso towers (those order confirmations are specifically sent to catch any potential problems prior to shipping)

In fact, during testing of your towers, I remember asking Dina directly about the satin espresso finish because we had just recently sent you the black matte horizon. She said that you still wanted espresso for the towers, and that is what you received.
Dave,
while there was clearly miscommunication, ultimately it was fully my fault for not going over the final invoice as soon as I saw it had been sent. I was just so thrilled to finally get a tracking number(s), that all I could think about was if and when I would I would get to see "in transit" on the tracking page.

I know I did not make this process easy on you guys with all the vacillating and changes to the orders- as anyone can plainly see from reading that laborious encapsulation in the previous post. With the Lunas going into production soon, and working through the backlog with the Ribbons, and filling all the other holiday orders, I know you guys are slammed right now. Last thing you need is to deal with this kind of stuff.
And I hate being "that guy".

As I said to Dina (who graciously took it upon herself to call me just a few minutes ago), the Espresso are beautiful looking cabinets. At one point I did want them, so I'll see if I can make them work. It's a dark HT so if I can find a position that works acoustically as well as allowing them to disappear visually, I'll be good. The Matte would have been the ideal, but hey- these things are gorgeous. It's hard to be too disappointed here.

Maybe it all worked out for the best. We'll see.
post #4429 of 4429 Unread Today, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 162
FWIW,

I have seen all the finished Ascend has to offer in person and I would say satin espresso finish on the domestic cabinet is my personal favorite....

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X6200W, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, 4 x C380LCR & 2 x Martin Logan Descent I
Music Only - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Bluesound Vault, Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM, Parasound Halo A21 & SVS SB13 Ultra
Speakers upgrade path : RS1 -> IQ3 -> GS10 -> LS50 -> Sierra-2 -> 805D2 -> Sierra Tower -> ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics