***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 149 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 561Likes

post #4441 of 4925 Old 12-09-2016, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Can't wait until January/february fine frame when I can put my order in for espresso horizon and lunas. :-) Theater is about to be finished soon.
chomdh and TKNice like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 4925 Old 12-11-2016, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
Can't wait until January/february fine frame when I can put my order in for espresso horizon and lunas. :-) Theater is about to be finished soon.
Do you still have the NrT Horizon? Is there any specific sonic aspect that you definitely expect will be improved with the RAAL version, or are you primarily getting the new one to match closer finish-wise and just taking the opportunity to keep the tweeters consistent?
post #4443 of 4925 Old 12-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan XM View Post
Do you still have the NrT Horizon? Is there any specific sonic aspect that you definitely expect will be improved with the RAAL version, or are you primarily getting the new one to match closer finish-wise and just taking the opportunity to keep the tweeters consistent?
I dont know if I would be able to tell the difference from the NrT to the RAAL. However, the color wasn't the same which isnt a huge deal when the lights are off and watching movies but I want my front three to be similar. Eventually I want to move up to RAAL towers up front so a RAAL horizon is the likely option to go with for the center.

post #4444 of 4925 Old 12-14-2016, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Got my Towers & Horizon yesterday but will be Fri/Sat before I can set them up, but I did open the Horizon box so I can see what adjustments I need to make to the stand, and I have to say there are no pictures that can accurately display the size of this thing, it's a monster.
I bought the Black Matte and was surprised at how black they really are my current speakers are black matte but such a dull finish compared to the Horizon.
One thing I wasn't expecting was the kinda rough feel of the wood, which don't get me wrong is okay but caught me off guard.
Hopefully will get them all hooked up this weekend only thing that worries is how low the Horizon is going to be to fit under my screen, I did get some Auralex pads to give it some tilt hope that will be sufficient. Also after reading about all the differences in finish is there any reason why the towers won't match the Horizon? Guess will find out this weekend.

Thanks.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB - Elite Screens 120" 16X9 CineWhite 1.1 Gain - Sony UBP-X800 - Nvidia Shield - HTPC -Xbox One S - URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7702mkII - Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 - Emovita A-500
SPEAKERS: XTZ Cinema Series -M6 L/C/R - S5 Surrounds - S2 (4) Atmos - HSU VTF-3 MK4 - BlueJean Cable Canare 4S11 Cables
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #4445 of 4925 Old 12-14-2016, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Got my Towers & Horizon yesterday but will be Fri/Sat before I can set them up, but I did open the Horizon box so I can see what adjustments I need to make to the stand, and I have to say there are no pictures that can accurately display the size of this thing, it's a monster.
I bought the Black Matte and was surprised at how black they really are my current speakers are black matte but such a dull finish compared to the Horizon.
One thing I wasn't expecting was the kinda rough feel of the wood, which don't get me wrong is okay but caught me off guard.
Hopefully will get them all hooked up this weekend only thing that worries is how low the Horizon is going to be to fit under my screen, I did get some Auralex pads to give it some tilt hope that will be sufficient. Also after reading about all the differences in finish is there any reason why the towers won't match the Horizon? Guess will find out this weekend.

Thanks.

The finish is actually a very common black matte. The roughness you mention is not the wood, it is the texture that is added to the paint to give it more of the "matte" / non-reflective finish and make it quite durable and near scratch proof

Also, the differences that have been mentioned in finishes are comparing our various overseas built cabinets (Sierra-1/Sierra-2) compared to our domestic built cabinets. All towers and horizon cabinets are made domestically - thus really no variations between the same finishes, aside from what one can expect when comparing real wood since grain patterns and colors will never be the exact same. Since there is no visible grain with our black matte finish, there will be no variations

Enjoy!!

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #4446 of 4925 Old 12-14-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
The finish is actually a very common black matte. The roughness you mention is not the wood, it is the texture that is added to the paint to give it more of the "matte" / non-reflective finish and make it quite durable and near scratch proof

Also, the differences that have been mentioned in finishes are comparing our various overseas built cabinets (Sierra-1/Sierra-2) compared to our domestic built cabinets. All towers and horizon cabinets are made domestically - thus really no variations between the same finishes, aside from what one can expect when comparing real wood since grain patterns and colors will never be the exact same. Since there is no visible grain with our black matte finish, there will be no variations

Enjoy!!
Hey thanks for responding, that is one of the reasons I relied on when making my purchase. Good to know about the finish, my current ones are matte black and are dull but still reflect light this Horizon Black Matte is truly Black and reflects none of the light from the TV very happy with the finish. My buddy who helped me unbox couldn't stop fawning over especially when I took the grill cover off. And can't wait to get the Towers out!!!

Thank you, David.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB - Elite Screens 120" 16X9 CineWhite 1.1 Gain - Sony UBP-X800 - Nvidia Shield - HTPC -Xbox One S - URC MX-990
SPEAKERS: XTZ Cinema Series -M6 L/C/R - S5 Surrounds - S2 (4) Atmos - HSU VTF-3 MK4 - BlueJean Cable Canare 4S11 Cables
post #4447 of 4925 Old 12-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Hey thanks for responding, that is one of the reasons I relied on when making my purchase. Good to know about the finish, my current ones are matte black and are dull but still reflect light this Horizon Black Matte is truly Black and reflects none of the light from the TV very happy with the finish. My buddy who helped me unbox couldn't stop fawning over especially when I took the grill cover off. And can't wait to get the Towers out!!!

Thank you, David.

Most welcome - and yes, this black matte finish is a very deep and rich non-reflective black. I actually went from natural towers to the black matte in my own home as they pretty much disappear when the lights are off.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #4448 of 4925 Old 12-16-2016, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Well, made the decision and put up my Sierra 2's for sale. I loved those speakers but just cannot afford to build a complete system with them just yet. I will eventually come back to Ascend once I get back working my other job. I just want to be able to enjoy my theater until that time.

Than I will be able to jump right into Sierra Towers and Horizon

Again, love these speakers and everyone that has ever listened to them says the same thing. Great job Dave.
post #4449 of 4925 Old 12-21-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Just curious what you think of them so far.

I wasn't familiar with the speakers you were using listed in your sig. I was surprised when I looked them up as they seem to be pretty substantial and high grade.
What made you even consider switching to the Ascends in the first place?
post #4450 of 4925 Old 12-21-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Just curious what you think of them so far.

I wasn't familiar with the speakers you were using listed in your sig. I was surprised when I looked them up as they seem to be pretty substantial and high grade.
What made you even consider switching to the Ascends in the first place?
Will post in a day or so. Thanks

post #4451 of 4925 Old 12-21-2016, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone here have cmt-340s for lcr? Thinking about picking some up for my home theater. I had sierra 2s but sold them to fund a more affordable complete system
post #4452 of 4925 Old 12-21-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Anyone here have cmt-340s for lcr? Thinking about picking some up for my home theater. I had sierra 2s but sold them to fund a more affordable complete system
I had them before upgrading. Great speakers...some think the best bang for buck in Ascend's lineup.

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!
post #4453 of 4925 Old 12-21-2016, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Only reason I'm downgrading is so I can stop spending money on my system and actually enjoy it. For what I sold my sierra 2s for I can almost get 3 340s and 2 200s. Than I can enjoy my system for a year or two before looking at the raal towers or a psa setup
post #4454 of 4925 Old 12-22-2016, 12:34 AM

Hell, if you still have a sub, you don't even need the 340's. Three 170's + the 200s would serve you just fine for a few years.

I predict, given the nature of auditory memory combined with just how well designed the lower end models are, whichever you went with you will end up being very surprised with how little it seems you've given up from the S2s.

After all, the lower end models were the things that put Ascend on the map in the first place. They are still the same great speakers they were then. The only difference is there is a lot more solid ID competition now at those same price points.
post #4455 of 4925 Old 12-22-2016, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Hell, if you still have a sub, you don't even need the 340's. Three 170's + the 200s would serve you just fine for a few years.
True...but the 340's are a bit cleaner through the midrange, and capable of more output...as well as having more bass.

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!
post #4456 of 4925 Old 12-22-2016, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

I do have a sub. Still have my rythmik fv15hp, love that thing.
post #4457 of 4925 Old 12-22-2016, 02:15 AM

Since I haven't actually heard the 340's. I'll defer to those who have.

My thinking was that the benefit of the bass would end up being mitigated by the use of the sub. But that would still leave the differences in mid range and output.
post #4458 of 4925 Old 12-23-2016, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
True...but the 340's are a bit cleaner through the midrange, and capable of more output...as well as having more bass.
I have the 340s in one room and the Sierra Tower RAALs in another and I can tell you that the 340s are by far the best deal for the money. In fact I have heard quite few speakers in the sub $3K range (pair) and the 340s are extremely difficult to beat ... I think the reason why people on a budget look elsewhere is because they haven't heard them. IMHO they are the biggest secret in audio.
cschang, vtalon and enricoclaudio like this.
post #4459 of 4925 Old 12-23-2016, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrader View Post
I have the 340s in one room and the Sierra Tower RAALs in another and I can tell you that the 340s are by far the best deal for the money. In fact I have heard quite few speakers in the sub $3K range (pair) and the 340s are extremely difficult to beat ... I think the reason why people on a budget look elsewhere is because they haven't heard them. IMHO they are the biggest secret in audio.
RAAL Towers are sub $3k, are you saying there isn't much difference between the two? I will be ordering the L/R Pair next week while they are still on sale than the rest the following pay check.
post #4460 of 4925 Old 12-23-2016, 08:07 PM

Speaking for no one but myself, As nice as the RAAL towers are, they are not the best value/bang for the buck in Ascends line-up, which is what I think Upgrader was implying.

I haven't heard the 340's, but everyone else that has says they're the big BftB.
I could also make a good case for the 200's.
And I could make a good case for the 170's.
I could even make a good case for the Sierra 2's (in direct comparison to what the outlay is for the towers/Horizon).

The RAAL Towers/Horizon are by default the reference here, but they are really not necessarily where the best value proposition is.
Unless you are comparing them to other $3K +$4.5K pairs/systems from other brands.
cschang likes this.
post #4461 of 4925 Old 12-23-2016, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Speaking for no one but myself, As nice as the RAAL towers are, they are not the best value/bang for the buck in Ascends line-up, which is what I think Upgrader was implying.

I haven't heard the 340's, but everyone else that has says they're the big BftB.
I could also make a good case for the 200's.
And I could make a good case for the 170's.
I could even make a good case for the Sierra 2's (in direct comparison to what the outlay is for the towers/Horizon).

The RAAL Towers/Horizon are by default the reference here, but they are really not necessarily where the best value proposition is.
Unless you are comparing them to other $3K +$4.5K pairs/systems from other brands.
I can understand that. At some point begins the diminish returns. How much more does one want to spend for mild increase in quality.
post #4462 of 4925 Old 12-24-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I can understand that. At some point begins the diminish returns. How much more does one want to spend for mild increase in quality.
That is the BIG question for everyone and every upgrade in this hobby. The Sierra line is a better speaker...but they cost significantly more, so they should be.

I took a pair of the older CMT-340's (non SE...so older woofer and non-SEAS tweeter) into a local shop. The reps and owner all came out of the woodwork when they were playing. We were there to compare them to $1200/pr speakers. They were amazed at what the black boxes were doing with no criticism. Then they asked me what the price was...$600/pr...and they all left...except the owner, who then said he thought the treble could be better.
vtalon and chomdh like this.

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Help beat breast cancer!
post #4463 of 4925 Old 12-26-2016, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I have had my sierra raal towers for a couple of months now and haven't said too much in this thread. I wanted to stop in to express how enjoyable these are to listen to for all sources but music especially. Bottom line, they just make me smile.

I was going through some Black Keys, Queens of the Stone Age, and Led Zeppelin but most noteworthy for me in this recent session was "Do the Evolution" by Pearl Jam. I had to play it through a couple times because the raal towers really made this one shine for me. I had to crank it up louder than normal and really let my system rip. It was quite enjoyable, the distorted vocals and driving guitars especially.

I have also had the raal horizon for about a month and enjoyed it for movies and TV series. We are working our way through GOT and watched a couple of movies over the holidays including The Secret Life of Pets. Looking forward to adding the Lunas for surround duty. I think 5.2 is enough for me for now. I'm not convinced I need anything more.

At fist the price of this system was a lot to swallow but at the end of the day I can see my family and I enjoying it for many many years.

Thanks Dave & everyone at Ascend Acoustics.
Billy p, kyzer soze and cel4145 like this.

Last edited by chomdh; 12-26-2016 at 07:41 PM.
post #4464 of 4925 Old 12-27-2016, 09:22 AM

Speaking of diminishing returns...

I decided to try out the Sierra 2s as rears the other night, since I still have them. I swapped out the HTM 200s and initially bumped up the levels on each about 4 db (IIRC), given the lower sensitivity of the S2s compared to the 200s. I was able to use one of the speakers stands I had from when they were doing front main duty, but for one side I had to perch the speaker on a stack of boxes as that corner does storage duty I can't easily relocate (the 200 was closer to the ceiling on a small bracketed shelf- too small for the S2).

Watched the last three episodes of Daredevil S1 to start. This show has had a very active and well thought out surround mix. It seemed like, if it's not an action scene, there is almost always some surround content in the form of ambient city noise.

Initially, I questioned whether I needed to adjust the levels even higher, as the backs seemed inordinately quiet. But then an action scene kicked in and suddenly they were way too hot, so I ended up dialing them back to just 1 db over what I had them set for the 200s.

After Daredevil I watched content that was 2.0 so just before packing it in for the night I pulled out some discs specifically to demo some surround scenes.
I started with the first couple chapters of the original Superman, which included Williams score and the Phantom Zone trial (with some nicely subtle ambient echo effects), and then cycled through a few musical numbers from Xanadu.

My takeaway from all this was - while the Sierra 2 and RAALs were *better* than the budget 200's, I didn't feel like they were substantially better when the subject was a flurry of typical action movie effects. The 200s have been just fine and maybe even worked better in voicing out subtle sounds, given their higher sensitivity.
I also can't say that the soundscape seemed substantially more cohesive, as channel panning with the 200's in place has always sounded seamless.

However, when it came to music- whether songs or the orchestral underscoring, I more often noticed and appreciated the difference. I'm closer to feeling like it would be worth it to have RAALS in the back for just that aspect.

It's a bit frustrating. The Lunas would work so much better for me given their size (and front port). I could slip them right onto the shelves I already have in place for the 200s.
At the same time, I already have speakers that are even more substantial than those, that wouldn't cost me anything to keep, but placement is almost a non starter.
I can play with them for a little while, but they can't stay where they are now. They're just too big and heavy. But to sell them off and buy the Lunas, I would be spending more to get less (speaker). When I look at it like that, it seems like the most sensible thing to do is to just keep the 200s where they are. I always felt they meshed amazingly well with the RAALs in front before, and they still aren't that far behind after this test.

I'll probably just end up selling off the S2s and not doing anything for a while. At least I got to satisfy my curiosity.
Djoel, Billy p and TKNice like this.
post #4465 of 4925 Old 12-27-2016, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:

I decided to try out the Sierra 2s as rears the other night, since I still have them. I swapped out the HTM 200s and initially bumped up the levels on each about 4 db (IIRC), given the lower sensitivity of the S2s compared to the 200s. I was able to use one of the speakers stands I had from when they were doing front main duty, but for one side I had to perch the speaker on a stack of boxes as that corner does storage duty I can't easily relocate (the 200 was closer to the ceiling on a small bracketed shelf- too small for the S2).

Watched the last three episodes of Daredevil S1 to start. This show has had a very active and well thought out surround mix. It seemed like, if it's not an action scene, there is almost always some surround content in the form of ambient city noise.

Initially, I questioned whether I needed to adjust the levels even higher, as the backs seemed inordinately quiet. But then an action scene kicked in and suddenly they were way too hot, so I ended up dialing them back to just 1 db over what I had them set for the 200s.

After Daredevil I watched content that was 2.0 so just before packing it in for the night I pulled out some discs specifically to demo some surround scenes.

I started with the first couple chapters of the original Superman, which included Williams score and the Phantom Zone trial (with some nicely subtle ambient echo effects), and then cycled through a few musical numbers from Xanadu.

My takeaway from all this was - while the Sierra 2 and RAALs were *better* than the budget 200's, I didn't feel like they were substantially better when the subject was a flurry of typical action movie effects. The 200s have been just fine and maybe even worked better in voicing out subtle sounds, given their higher sensitivity.

I also can't say that the soundscape seemed substantially more cohesive, as channel panning with the 200's in place has always sounded seamless.

However, when it came to music- whether songs or the orchestral underscoring, I more often noticed and appreciated the difference. I'm closer to feeling like it would be worth it to have RAALS in the back for just that aspect.

It's a bit frustrating. The Lunas would work so much better for me given their size (and front port). I could slip them right onto the shelves I already have in place for the 200s.

At the same time, I already have speakers that are even more substantial than those, that wouldn't cost me anything to keep, but placement is almost a non starter.

I can play with them for a little while, but they can't stay where they are now. They're just too big and heavy. But to sell them off and buy the Lunas, I would be spending more to get less (speaker). When I look at it like that, it seems like the most sensible thing to do is to just keep the 200s where they are. I always felt they meshed amazingly well with the RAALs in front before, and they still aren't that far behind after this test.

I'll probably just end up selling off the S2s and not doing anything for a while. At least I got to satisfy my curiosity.

This is useful information! I originally had 3 pairs of Sierra 2's, kept one pair for the fronts, and sold the other 2, replacing the sides and backs with the 200's. For the vast majority of movie content, the 200's are plenty good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4466 of 4925 Old 12-27-2016, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
That is the BIG question for everyone and every upgrade in this hobby. The Sierra line is a better speaker...but they cost significantly more, so they should be.

I took a pair of the older CMT-340's (non SE...so older woofer and non-SEAS tweeter) into a local shop. The reps and owner all came out of the woodwork when they were playing. We were there to compare them to $1200/pr speakers. They were amazed at what the black boxes were doing with no criticism. Then they asked me what the price was...$600/pr...and they all left...except the owner, who then said he thought the treble could be better.
LOL im curious what shop this was especially with both of us being in Los Angeles.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Klipsch atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
NAD M25
Rythmik FV15HP
post #4467 of 4925 Old 12-27-2016, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Very good info. I do not use my system for music at all. Only music that plays from it comes from the soundtrack in movies. So for me, RAAL in this system seems to big too big of a cost for benefit when I can get away with say the CMT-340s just fine.
post #4468 of 4925 Old 12-27-2016, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

I have 2 sets of Lunas preordered to upgrade my surrounds and it is really hard to justify the cost when compared to the 200s, especially since I have 4 200s already mounted in the ceiling for Atmos. I bet they would make wonderful surrounds but I think if I don't get RAALs all the way around, along with those great woofers, I'll definitely have regrets one day.

In my case, movies are certainly the primary purpose but I do enjoy multichannel music from time to time. I really liked reading your thoughts about this and can only imagine how good it will sound!

Video: Panasonic AE8000u w/Anamorphic Lens & 122" 2.35:1 CIH
Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7 Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One
7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 (L R C), Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE (side & rear)
2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" / Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
4 HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X
Theater Pics / Desktop
post #4469 of 4925 Old 12-27-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
LOL im curious what shop this was especially with both of us being in Los Angeles.
It was System Design Group in Redondo Beach. They closed up shop 1-2 years ago. They were pretty well known around here.

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Help beat breast cancer!
post #4470 of 4925 Old 12-29-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
1 more day till my sierra 2s arrive. Then I have to figure out weather to return the Anthem MRX 520 or the Denon X4200. Right now Im leaning toward returning the Denon even though the Anthem leaves no room for future expansion being a 5 channel receiver. The main reason is I get audio drop outs using Audio return channel with the Denon and haven't had any issues with the Anthem. Also I think the room correction on the Anthem did a better job than audyssey but Ill use the Sierra 2s to do an A/B test. It will be a fun weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page