***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 504Likes
post #4711 of 4718 Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM
Hype Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 218
To put it more directly. To me, the Sierra-2 is the more impressive speaker compared to the RAAL Tower, even though the RAAL Tower is decidedly the better speaker. Some might disagree, but at least to me, given the size difference, what impresses me most is just how close the bookshelf comes to the tower despite all it's disadvantages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 4718 Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I appreciate your comments. You own Ascend both towers and Sierra 2 and are much more knowledgeable than I am. Nonetheless, I stand by my perspective. Based on his original post, the way he listens and the size of the room he is going to want towers. He should start there. If the towers give him the extra SQ he is looking for in music (which I suspect they will) he can fill out the rest of his system. If not Ascend is not for him and he can send them back. I also think this approach gives him more flexibility in how he builds out his system. The Horizon is not inexpensive, he would have the option of not using Sierras in the back possibly using 170s or HTM and using the extra cash for Horizon or subs.
post #4713 of 4718 Old Today, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Once you start down the RAAL path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will!

post #4714 of 4718 Old Today, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Thank you all for your feedback (and Amnesia for the detailed numbers - really helps). This forum has some great members. I've reached out to a local forum member who isn't too active, but hoping he gets PM notifications and I can setup time to audition them.

With all the positive feedback, I'm willing to take a leap of faith on Ascend, but I'm still waffling back and forth on if I need the towers or not, and if so which way to piece it out. An audition would definitely help.

I'll be sure to post my impressions once I pull the trigger.
post #4715 of 4718 Old Today, 08:09 AM
Hype Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meature View Post
I appreciate your comments. You own Ascend both towers and Sierra 2 and are much more knowledgeable than I am. Nonetheless, I stand by my perspective. Based on his original post, the way he listens and the size of the room he is going to want towers. He should start there. If the towers give him the extra SQ he is looking for in music (which I suspect they will) he can fill out the rest of his system. If not Ascend is not for him and he can send them back. I also think this approach gives him more flexibility in how he builds out his system. The Horizon is not inexpensive, he would have the option of not using Sierras in the back possibly using 170s or HTM and using the extra cash for Horizon or subs.
Have you even HEARD any of the speakers being discussed? To me it seems like you are just going with the "go with the best/most expensive thing you are willing to buy" approach. I'm not sure how you can even make a choice for yourself without hearing them let alone for other people.

What is it you think he's going to be be gaining? The Sierra-2's are already capable of approaching and/or hitting reference levels (though I think people are nutz if they are listening at 105db (peak) lol...

For example, you mention the size of his room, but my room is somewhat ironically setup very similar to his as my living room is connected to my diningroom/kitchen. I also have more cubic feet. I STILL THINK the Sierra-2 is more than capable. And given what he is coming from, if it was on a scale of liek 1-100 SQ, and the RAAL Tower was 100 and the RtiA9 was 10, then I think the Sierra-2 would probably be like 90-95.

I also think that coming from the Polks all the way to the RAAL towers, would take away some of their magic without that step in the middle... Either the Sierra-2 or the Towers are both going to sound substantially better than the polks (imo), to the point that either would be equally impressive. What makes it more fun to start with the little ones, is someday, you decide you are ready to upgrade, and you get to be blown away again.

For further perspective, for subwoofers I have a pair of Funk 18.0c's that cost as much as 3 pairs of Sierra-2's, and I don't think the Sierra-2s would be out of place paired with them in a 2.1/2.2 system. Even their bass without the subs is surprisingly effective. It's actually been somewhat frustrating as I'm an upgrade junkie, and so I'm super tempted to level up to some even higher end speakers just to see what they can do, but it's really hard to justify when most any bookshelves I can find that seem like they might actually be a worthy upgrade are all like 5-10k+ AND I'd have to give up the RAALs.

Realistically speaking if I was the OP, I would get a pair of Sierra-2s, and then put whatever the remainder of the budget for "right now" was toward a better or pair of better subwoofers. That would have the biggest overall SQ improvement at the budget he's talking about now. Then in a few months when he's ready to spend more, he can decide if he needs more up front, or if he just needs to fill out the surrounds and center. I'd be willing to bet when the time comes he would actually favor just adding a pair or two of Lunas either a Sierra-2 or Luna MTM Center (whenever that actually happens :P).
post #4716 of 4718 Old Today, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Every person hearing is different and what could sound good to me maybe it doesn't to another person. That's why auditioning speakers in your own room is so critical. Just one month ago I upgrade my speakers to Sierra Towers with RAAL and I'm still impressed. Let me show you in three pictures my speaker journey for the last 7 years. This may help @ballen420 making his decision.

1.- Polk Audio RTiA9s + CSiA6 (2010 - 2013)

2.- Polk Audio LSiM 705s + 706C (2013 - 2016)

3.- Sierra Towers with RAAL + Horizon with RAAL (2017 - )

Guess which setup I like the most? From Setup 1 to Setup 2 the improvement in SQ was very noticeable. With the RTi A setup I wasn't able to listen to music for more than 30 min because those speakers caused me ear fatigue and headaches. That disappeared as soon I upgrade to the LSiM setup. But while the LSiM series are good speakers they lack a little bit of detail. They are very laid back speakers. Which was good for music but not for movies. I do about 90% music and 10% movies. Now with the Sierra Towers with RAAL that missing detail on the LSiM is back and I can listen to them for hours without any ear fatigue. I did also a comparison between the Sierra Tower and the Sierra 2s (I have Sierra 2s as surround speakers) and all I can say is WOW. I don't know how Dave was able to get that full body sound out of such small speaker. Trust me, if your budget only allows you for the Sierra 2s, you won't be disappointed. Are the Sierra 2s in the same league as the Sierra Towers? No, the Sierra Towers are superior on every sense but the Sierra 2s are very, very close to their performance. Just my 2 cents!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	1990561   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	1990569   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	1990577  

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL & Sierra 2s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #4717 of 4718 Unread Today, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Beautiful setup @enricoclaudio .

Same experience with the RTiA's - I cannot listen for more than a short session without fatigue or a headache setting in. It's unacceptable now that I'm back to using this system for 2 channel audio as well.

Think I'm on a similar path as you as my initial plan was to move to the LSi's with recent discounts, then decided to explore a little further into other brands and most notable ID brands. I had settled on a $3-3.5k budget initially (based on LSi pricing), then decided I really want to find something that doesn't have me yearning for more and found these.

I'm going to pull the trigger on the Sierra 2's and go from there. I'm ok with moving them to surround duties if needed and really liked Amnesia's approach of taking that middle step and allowing for opportunity to be blown away again if eventually upgrading to towers.
post #4718 of 4718 Unread Today, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
I was listening this morning to Bebo & Cigala and this particular tune put a huge smile in my face. I'm in love with my Sierra Towers speakers

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL & Sierra 2s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics