Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #451 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have 340's LRC, and 2 pair of HTM200's as surrounds and backs, that I use almost exclusively for HT, i.e., BluRay movies and HDTV. I'm wondering if there would be must of an improvement if I replaced the LCR 340's with 3 Sierras. The comments about the Sierras that have caught my eye are about the extreme clarity and presence of dialog. The 340's are of course very good in this regard, but I'm wondering if the Sierras are even significantly better. Has anyone here gone this route?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyisc00l View Post

Never was fond of visiting people to audition..but I just noticed there is a flat rate shipping quote of $26 and 30 day money back guarantee. Guess I'll have to see.

Even though it seems that most people are anti premium drivers, I'd still like to see a affordable bookshelf or floorstander utilizing a D3004, a pair of 7 or 8" seas excel, scanspeak revelators, or accuton woofers, and something like a accuton C44 midrange with some really kick ass crossovers...of course this is a lot to the consumer, but to a major manufacturer, they get really excellent prices...the drivers for a pair of speakers would cost probably under $800-900 if I've assumed correctly..just for the drivers. That means with cabinet costs, crossovers, paying off all business costs, and wanting a profit..you could get away with selling these speakers for under $2,500 and still be profitable right? I mean, SVS is getting away with using a d3004 and a peerless hds 6.5" in a $1k bookshelf, I think this is possible?

Why hasn't anyone done that before? I know SVS is kind of starting to do it, I mean $1k is really cheap for the amount of cost going in to it, but still.....I have a prediction that if someone here pulled this off, like ascend or axiom or something, they'd get alot of interest, no?? Maybe I'm talking outa my ass. I'd buy em.

If you want something with these drivers mainstream...your spending like $10k+.

And yes there are a few different kind of DIY, people who value finding a great cheaper driver and people who like to splurge a little on something ridiculous.

I see a business opportunity. The market is crying out for this product, why not give it a go, and see what you come up with?

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #453 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I have 340's LRC, and 2 pair of HTM200's as surrounds and backs, that I use almost exclusively for HT, i.e., BluRay movies and HDTV. I'm wondering if there would be must of an improvement if I replaced the LCR 340's with 3 Sierras. The comments about the Sierras that have caught my eye are about the extreme clarity and presence of dialog. The 340's are of course very good in this regard, but I'm wondering if the Sierras are even significantly better. Has anyone here gone this route?

When Curtis reads this he'll be able to answer, I'm pretty sure he replaced his LCR 340's with Sierra's. I'll say this I bought one pair to try and I never sent them back......They are excellent and the best under 1000 dollar speaker I have ever heard and I have either owned or demoed most of them at that price range.

These things can definitely run with the big boys. I did a side by side with my Paradigm S4's and no I didn't think they were better but they do come fairly close (at least to my ears). Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Russ
post #454 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the reply, Russdawg. I'm quite sure the Sierras are outstanding; I'm just wondering if, with a good sub, they represent a major improvement over 340's LCR, since the latter are already extremely good. And again, my interest is for HT rather than music. I.e., is the dialog and detail significantly better, or not.
post #455 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 10:06 PM

Liked: 11
One Caveat for a speaker like the Sierra (or any other speaker in its size category with its extended bass response) is the power required.

My 170 SE's are much easier to drive than are the Sierras ... if one is thinking of upgrading to the Sierras, look into a good power amp.

Fortunately, there are some inexpensive upgrades over the typical receiver - the Emotiva LPA-1 being one of those upgrades for $500.
post #456 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

My Onkyo 805 drives 3 Sierra-1's, 2 170-SE's and 2 M&K SS-500's *just* fine.
post #457 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Craigsub, I will also be upgrading my AVR (presently a Pio 1014) this fall, the most likely contender at present being the Onkyo 805, though I do want to wait to see how the Pio Elites compare. Surely the 805 would be sufficient for the Sierras in a ~2000 cu ft room, right?
post #458 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

The 805 has plenty of juice millerwill.
post #459 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 10:20 PM

If you are crossing the Sierras into a sub, yes, the Onkyo will work fine. The Sierras just happen to be good enough that they warrant a separate power amp.

Have you considered keeping the Pioneer, and getting a dedicated amp ?

I have tried the Sierras both ways ... the amp does make them sing.
post #460 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

When Curtis reads this he'll be able to answer.......

It is hard to qualify something like this for someonelse. While I think there would be a noticeable difference in HT, I can't say it would be worth it for you. Heck, I notice a difference when my kids watch their shows.

Since I get more enjoyment from music, and this is where I do more critical listening, for HT, I would tend to suggest others to stick to what they have if they are happy with it, and spend the money elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

One Caveat for a speaker like the Sierra (or any other speaker in its size category with its extended bass response) is the power required.

My 170 SE's are much easier to drive than are the Sierras ... if one is thinking of upgrading to the Sierras, look into a good power amp.

Fortunately, there are some inexpensive upgrades over the typical receiver - the Emotiva LPA-1 being one of those upgrades for $500.

I think all of the Ascends reflect the quality of the power/components before them. Like Craig says, I think the Sierras will reflect quality power more because they are less efficient than the 170SE's and 340SE's. By quality of power, I don't necessarily mean more power....I think Craig would agree with this.

I know this gets into the arena of amps sounding the same or not.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #461 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One way the Sierra will be an improvement for HT is the center speaker. Dialogue is much more clear with the Sierra--I used to own the 340.

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
post #462 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 10:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mziegler View Post

One way the Sierra will be an improvement for HT is the center speaker. Dialogue is much more clear with the Sierra--I used to own the 340.

In your room, I think that has a lot to do with the crossover and symmetrical off-axis FR of the Sierra.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #463 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Didn't you find a definite improvement with the center too?

It is amazing how much better the Sierras sound in my room--I wish we had compared them to the 340s here. I suspect the difference in my room would be greater than in yours.

post #464 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes I did....but like you said, I think you got more of an improvement.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #465 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Let's not forget to give some credit to Audyssey.

post #466 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mziegler View Post

Let's not forget to give some credit to Audyssey.

I think there was improvement before Audyssey. With it, I think the bass and mid-bass cleaned up nicely.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #467 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Now I need to do some treatments and run Audyssey again.

I guess upgrading the electronics would be next.

Of course I could add on to the front of the house and design a much nicer HT and/or music room. Damn ungradeitis.

post #468 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

When we both have some free time, I could bring over my amp for us to experiment.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #469 of 3195 Old 07-31-2007, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmmmm...sounds fun...and dangerous.

These speakers do make my receiver work a lot harder.

post #470 of 3195 Old 08-01-2007, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post

I see a business opportunity. The market is crying out for this product, why not give it a go, and see what you come up with?

Ughh, I wish. Not sure if that is sarcasm, but I really think there is a huge opportunity for someone to pull this off...someone utilizing a speaker like that with those prices would become famous.
post #471 of 3195 Old 08-01-2007, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyisc00l View Post

Ughh, I wish. Not sure if that is sarcasm, but I really think there is a huge opportunity for someone to pull this off...someone utilizing a speaker like that with those prices would become famous.

And probably bankrupt in a very short amount of time.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #472 of 3195 Old 08-01-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijax View Post

As usual, I'm always available and interested, and would love to hear the Sierras.

I want to hear these as well !
post #473 of 3195 Old 08-01-2007, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even though it seems that most people are anti premium drivers, I'd still like to see a affordable bookshelf or floorstander utilizing a D3004, a pair of 7 or 8" seas excel, scanspeak revelators, or accuton woofers, and something like a accuton C44 midrange with some really kick ass crossovers...of course this is a lot to the consumer, but to a major manufacturer, they get really excellent prices...the drivers for a pair of speakers would cost probably under $800-900 if I've assumed correctly..just for the drivers. That means with cabinet costs, crossovers, paying off all business costs, and wanting a profit..you could get away with selling these speakers for under $2,500 and still be profitable right? I mean, SVS is getting away with using a d3004 and a peerless hds 6.5" in a $1k bookshelf, I think this is possible?

Why hasn't anyone done that before? I know SVS is kind of starting to do it, I mean $1k is really cheap for the amount of cost going in to it, but still.....I have a prediction that if someone here pulled this off, like ascend or axiom or something, they'd get alot of interest, no?? Maybe I'm talking outa my ass. I'd buy em.

If you want something with these drivers mainstream...your spending like $10k+.

And yes there are a few different kind of DIY, people who value finding a great cheaper driver and people who like to splurge a little on something ridiculous.

Quote:

Some are already using what you consider 'best' drivers. Of course, what you mean by best/better is still closely related to retail price, but there's some who are using the expensive drivers you seem to crave.

For example, Tyler is using SEAS Millenium tweeter and 7 inch magnesium driver http://www.tyleracoustics.com/linbrook.html . ACI is using the scanspeak revelator http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/sapp...sapphirexl.htm . Salk speakers are using SEAS Excel drivers http://www.salksound.com/ht1.shtml.

But like was said before, you completely missed the point Ascend made in his last post. I'm not sure how you managed to do it as I thought it was very clearly explained.

As said, if you really want, you can buy the same drivers, download (free!!!) software which will 'design' the crossover for you, tell you the port size, the enclosure size, and you can build the speakers yourself. You will spend less money than if you bought from one of the above companies, and you will have the exact drivers you want. But speaker design is more than that. With the Sierra you get an exclusive cabinet and a unique design by DF. But you don't get what you read some say were the BEST drivers, so if that's what you want, you might as well get another pair of speakers.

You still think to seem that the key to making great speakers is buying expensive drivers and sticking them in a box. If you think that's the case, then go DIY, or buy from whoever is using the drivers you think are better. (And if you care to elaborate on exactly makes you think which drivers are the best, it would be great, seems that you're just relying on some random people online who said: "This is the best driver!")

Still, I'd be curious to know how the Sierra-1s compare to speakers such the ACI Sapphire XL. 1700$ vs 850$, but both Piano black with original cabinets. The ACI has always been well reviewed, but it would be interesting to see how it compares to the Ascend. It would be a good example to see how the custom woofer holds up to the Revelator and the modified tweaked Ascend SEAS to the ACI tweeter.

Anyhow, most who bought the Sierras I'm sure wouldn't have bought the ACI instead given that it's more than twice the price. In my case at least, I really don't care about component cost, what matters to me is end performance. The Sierras really offers great performance for the price, which I find a lot more interesting than saying "my speakers use very expensive drivers!!". They really give a great value for your money, and if they cost twice more because they used the most expensive drivers, their cost/performance ratio would be severely weakened. You can read on Ascend's website "about us" or something like that their 'mission'

Quote:

Our pledge at Ascend Acoustics is to create the highest quality and most affordable loudspeakers available today. Ascend will bridge the gap between value brands and overpriced high-end brands. We will bring, and continue to bring, the high-end audio experience previously not affordable to most consumers, into the homes of our loyal and future customers.

If you want the most expensive drivers, you're probably looking at the wrong place.
post #474 of 3195 Old 08-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I think that Andy missed the point because he is still equating price with quality. Until he disabuses himself of the notion that it cost more therefore it must be better he'll never see that paying more is not a guarantee of performance. It would help if he would do a little research into speaker design and construction as well. I don't think he can even name the parameters that make one driver "better" than another, other than price and other people's opinions.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
post #475 of 3195 Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
You guys.. Stop feeding the troll...

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend HTM200
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: D-sonic Magnum 7-3500
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #476 of 3195 Old 08-01-2007, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

If you are crossing the Sierras into a sub, yes, the Onkyo will work fine. The Sierras just happen to be good enough that they warrant a separate power amp.

Have you considered keeping the Pioneer, and getting a dedicated amp ?

I have tried the Sierras both ways ... the amp does make them sing.

Thanks Craigsub, cschang, mziegler, and others for your replies. I did forget to mention that I have a SVS PB10 sub along with the 340's LCR (and 200's as surrounds), so the better base response of the Sierras is perhaps not so important; and it also perhaps relieves the AVR of some of its power requirements. The comments about the Sierras that most attracted my attention were praises for their clarity, etc., in dialog, though the 340's are of course already extremely good in this regard. Just trying to get an idea is the Sierras are really a major improvement in this aspect, which is so critical for HT. And I do appreciate that the only way to REALLY know is to order them and a hearing; but just trying to do the homework before going to that stage.
post #477 of 3195 Old 08-01-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

....so the better base response of the Sierras is perhaps not so important;

I can tell you that the quality of the bass on the Sierras is outstanding. IMO, with my Hsu VTF-3.3.....if I cross at 80hz, I lose some sound quality, at 60hz it is much better. In many cases, I would rather run without a sub, but I can not easily change configurations with my pre/pro.

If I had a JL A Fathom.....things would be different.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #478 of 3195 Old 08-01-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I can tell you that the quality of the bass on the Sierras is outstanding. IMO, with my Hsu VTF-3.3.....if I cross at 80hz, I lose some sound quality, at 60hz it is much better.

Hmmm. The Onkyo 805 allows one to set the x-over frequency differently for each speaker. Would it be (sonically) OK to set it at 60 hz for the LCR Sierras, and at 80 (or even 100) hz for the 4 HTM200's that are the side and rear surrounds?
post #479 of 3195 Old 08-01-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hmmm. The Onkyo 805 allows one to set the x-over frequency differently for each speaker. Would it be (sonically) OK to set it at 60 hz for the LCR Sierras, and at 80 (or even 100) hz for the 4 HTM200's that are the side and rear surrounds?

That's basicly what I do......60hz for the Sierras up front, 80hz for the 170SE surrounds.

I really wish I had a direct mode that did not do any bass management with a press of one button....but I don't.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #480 of 3195 Old 08-01-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

paying more is not a guarantee of performance.

True, and paying less is not a garauntee of value.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page