***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 557Likes

post #4891 of 4920 Old 08-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by woster402 View Post
Went ahead and ordered a pair of Sierra 1s for surrounds. I was really tempted to get another pair of Luna's but at the end of the day, I ended up with the 1s due to cost and availability.
Wow your using Luna's as mains, how's that working out? How's the sound from those babies? What center do you have? I'm thinking of in the future going up Sierra 2s for mains and center, and Luna's for surrounds.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 4920 Old 08-14-2017, 08:18 PM
MaHawkma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Wow your using Luna's as mains, how's that working out? How's the sound from those babies? What center do you have? I'm thinking of in the future going up Sierra 2s for mains and center, and Luna's for surrounds.

I'm not using Luna's as mains in my HT setup. I have a pair I use for my desktop. I picking up the 1s compliment the LCR Sierra 2s I just picked up. With that being said, the Luna's paired with a L12 are freaking awesome in my desktop setup.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
HT Set-up: Yamaha RX-A2060; Ascend Acoustics LCR and Luna surrounds; Rythmik LV12R
Desktop Set-up: Yamaha RX-A730; Ascend Acoustics Luna's; Polk TL1 Center; Rythmik L12
post #4893 of 4920 Old 08-15-2017, 03:10 PM
MaHawkma

Ok, I caved. I had emailed Ascend asking if they had any espresso Luna cabinets left. Well, Dave replied they did so I called this afternoon and upgraded my order to Luna's. Pray for me. It's possible by this time next week my wife may have castrated me. 😄
BrianNLS likes this.

post #4894 of 4920 Old 08-15-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 1613
Quote:
Ok, I caved. I had emailed Ascend asking if they had any espresso Luna cabinets left. Well, Dave replied they did so I called this afternoon and upgraded my order to Luna's. Pray for me. It's possible by this time next week my wife may have castrated me. 😄
You won't regret done that, believe me.
woster402 likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #4895 of 4920 Old 08-15-2017, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know the feeling, we all get that in this hobby. If I have another box with speakers show up at the door I will probably be living in that box with the speakers!
woster402 likes this.
post #4896 of 4920 Old 08-15-2017, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I know the feeling, we all get that in this hobby. If I have another box with speakers show up at the door I will probably be living in that box with the speakers!
The trick for me is to try to build in pieces. Limit the size of any individual purchase, and space them out. I have this long list of planned upgrades in (relatively) small pieces. Next up is a new HT sub, probably next summer. That'll be slightly tricky as space is an issue, but I think a Rythmik L12 should do the trick.

Upgrading the HT mains to Sierra towers isn't on the list for while—that's gonna be a really hard sell since that'll be $2k all in one hit. Ugh.

Study: Schiit Bifrost Multibit -> Yamaha A-S500 -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT/Emotiva S8
Living Room HT: Oppo BDP-83 -> Denon 3808i -> PSB Image 4T/8C/S50/SubSonic5
Office: Schiit Modi 2 Uber -> NAD C740 -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
Bedroom: Onkyo TX-8050 -> PSB Image 1B/Yamaha YST-SW215
post #4897 of 4920 Old 08-16-2017, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Well, I guess be happy she doesn't cut off your ears. Now that would be ironic.

Video: Panasonic AE8000u w/Anamorphic Lens & 122" 2.35:1 CIH
Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7 Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One
7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 (L R C), Emotiva UAC-8.2 (side), ERD-1s (rear)
2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" / Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
4 Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X
Theater Pics / Desktop
post #4898 of 4920 Old 08-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
The trick for me is to try to build in pieces. Limit the size of any individual purchase, and space them out. I have this long list of planned upgrades in (relatively) small pieces. Next up is a new HT sub, probably next summer. That'll be slightly tricky as space is an issue, but I think a Rythmik L12 should do the trick.

Upgrading the HT mains to Sierra towers isn't on the list for while—that's gonna be a really hard sell since that'll be $2k all in one hit. Ugh.
I agree that's how I bought my current home theater. I bought 2 speakers at a time, surrounds first, then mains and finally center and then sub. Took about a year to do that. I had other speakers I was replacing as I went along so I always had a 5.1 system, just replaced each part in steps as you suggested. I have to say the speakers I have not really sound awesome, really really great. Just looking to the future and taking a very large leap up in sound quality.

post #4899 of 4920 Old 08-19-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In a future upgrade I want to use two pairs of Lunas as Atmos speakers. The only way I can do Atmos is with add-on speakers. Would doing something like this work as Atmos add-on speaker?

BTW, I can increase the angle if necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0086.JPG (198.5 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0087.JPG (168.5 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0088.JPG (203.1 KB, 462 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0089.JPG (140.9 KB, 454 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0090.JPG (129.1 KB, 457 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0091.JPG (185.4 KB, 463 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0092.JPG (156.2 KB, 463 views)
jjackkrash likes this.

Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony HW40ES |
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #4900 of 4920 Old 08-20-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 934
I am building a dedicated room in the basement that is taking longer than I wanted, and got sick of movies in the living room with no real sound. It took some finessing to bargain for any sound in the living room given my project downstairs, so my placement options and size restrictions are limited.

I just ordered 3 Sierra-2s for L/C/R and an FV15HP for my living room. I am taking a bit of a flyer on these for L/C/R, but they appear to fit my limited placement options. L/R are are going in a built in book shelf at ear level, and center is going below TV in a horizontal media /TV rack I built to house the center and components. I read this should not be a big problem for these speakers, even if more breathing room would be optimal, is this right? (The Sub is going in a big cubby behind the TV that will be hidden with acoustically transparent material--there are no other placement options and I haven't dropped the subwoofer bomb yet--its just going to show up and go in the cubby).

Are the Luna's the best options for the surrounds? Any pics of them mounted? I am not sure I am going to get away with any surrounds at all, and maybe need to stick to in walls.

Any good bets for some in-ceilings that would somewhat match for Atmos? These are actually an easier sell than surrounds if they can blend into the ceiling. I do not want up firing atmos nor do I think it would fit.

Thanks in advance.
post #4901 of 4920 Old 08-20-2017, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just ordered 6 of these for surrounds and overheads:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...er-pair/1.html

I have no idea how they will integrate, but we'll find out soon enough I suppose.
post #4902 of 4920 Old 08-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
trying to decide between Sierra 1's and 2's. They're going to be going in my living room where they'll be used for 90% tv/streaming with the occasional music listening for the remaining 10%. Most movie watching will be in my theater, but I'll still occasionally watch movies with the newer setup.

My current plan is to buy 3 of either as the front 3 as I can easily fit an upright bookshelf speaker on the shelf under the TV but won't be able to fit a center lying on its side. I have a sub (that I'll be upgrading eventually later on).

I'm struggling with whether or not I'll notice big benefits with the RAAL's in the 2's with my current use plans of mostly TV or would the 1's give me plenty?
post #4903 of 4920 Old 08-20-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
I just ordered 3 Sierra-2s for L/C/R and an FV15HP for my living room. I am taking a bit of a flyer on these for L/C/R, but they appear to fit my limited placement options. L/R are are going in a built in book shelf at ear level... I read this should not be a big problem for these speakers, even if more breathing room would be optimal, is this right?

Are the Luna's the best options for the surrounds? Any pics of them mounted? I am not sure I am going to get away with any surrounds at all, and maybe need to stick to in walls.

Thanks in advance.
I imagine the Lunas would have made better front speakers in such a situation, especially when crossed over at 80 with a sub like the FV15hp.

Front ported, don't hit quite as low so funny resonances should be reduced, etc.

Good luck either way though!
post #4904 of 4920 Old 08-20-2017, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername View Post
trying to decide between Sierra 1's and 2's. They're going to be going in my living room where they'll be used for 90% tv/streaming with the occasional music listening for the remaining 10%. Most movie watching will be in my theater, but I'll still occasionally watch movies with the newer setup.

My current plan is to buy 3 of either as the front 3 as I can easily fit an upright bookshelf speaker on the shelf under the TV but won't be able to fit a center lying on its side. I have a sub (that I'll be upgrading eventually later on).

I'm struggling with whether or not I'll notice big benefits with the RAAL's in the 2's with my current use plans of mostly TV or would the 1's give me plenty?
For mostly TV the S1s are plenty good, outstanding even. I would apply the S2-S1 savings to the sub upgrade you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Cheers,
XEagleDriver
post #4905 of 4920 Old 08-20-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
I imagine the Lunas would have made better front speakers in such a situation, especially when crossed over at 80 with a sub like the FV15hp.

Front ported, don't hit quite as low so funny resonances should be reduced, etc.

Good luck either way though!
Hmm, its not to late to switch I don't think, but I got the S-2s B stock in the color I want for less than the Lunas. And I already feel like the S-2s are smaller and less efficient than I generally prefer. But I guess that's ok because I am not looking for the same thing I'm looking for downstairs, i.e., huge and efficient JBL Pro cinema-style speakers with compression drivers.

Maybe I'll call those folks at Ascend in the morning and see what they think before they pack my order up. But good point about the front ports on the Lunas. I guess I need to see where the Luna's FR falls off the cliff because I like to cross over an octave before they really roll off to minimize the crossover bumps. If they can reach down to 50 to 60ish maybe I'll switch.
post #4906 of 4920 Old 08-21-2017, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Hmm, its not to late to switch I don't think, but I got the S-2s B stock in the color I want for less than the Lunas. And I already feel like the S-2s are smaller and less efficient than I generally prefer. But I guess that's ok because I am not looking for the same thing I'm looking for downstairs, i.e., huge and efficient JBL Pro cinema-style speakers with compression drivers.

Maybe I'll call those folks at Ascend in the morning and see what they think before they pack my order up. But good point about the front ports on the Lunas. I guess I need to see where the Luna's FR falls off the cliff because I like to cross over an octave before they really roll off to minimize the crossover bumps. If they can reach down to 50 to 60ish maybe I'll switch.
Here is the updated link for all the graphs you're looking for; you'll need to join their forum in order to view images
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...d-measurements

The Luna is advertised as -3db @ 65hz in an anechoic setting, which should allow it to reach 60hz in-room. Looking at the charts, it looks more like 70-80hz, so 65-75hz in-room, but you should take a look yourself.

I do agree regarding the price points of B-stock Sierra 2s vs Sierra Lunas though. I wish the Luna was ~$950/pr, but the drivers alone almost cost that much...

Last edited by amatuerholic; 08-21-2017 at 09:39 AM.
post #4907 of 4920 Old 08-24-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
In a future upgrade I want to use two pairs of Lunas as Atmos speakers. The only way I can do Atmos is with add-on speakers. Would doing something like this work as Atmos add-on speaker?
Is that your setup right now? How does it sound for adding in the Atmos fill in the front?

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #4908 of 4920 Old 08-24-2017, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Is that your setup right now? How does it sound for adding in the Atmos fill in the front?
That was just a test to see how the Lunas look as add-on speakers. My pre/pro (XMC-1) is not Atmos ready yet. Also, going this way would cost me around $3000 between speakers, external amp and Atmos card upgrade for the XMC-1. Definitely not worthy in my case.

post #4909 of 4920 Old 08-24-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3002
Quote:
That was just a test to see how the Lunas look as add-on speakers. My pre/pro (XMC-1) is not Atmos ready yet. Also, going this way would cost me around $3000 between speakers, external amp and Atmos card upgrade for the XMC-1. Definitely not worthy in my case.
Well, it definitely "looks" very good

Another option could be front heights, which Atmos supports and people really seem to like. Maybe your XMC-1 already can do some form of front heights surround? Upgrade to the Atmos card later.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #4910 of 4920 Old 08-24-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Well, it definitely "looks" very good

Another option could be front heights, which Atmos supports and people really seem to like. Maybe your XMC-1 already can do some form of front heights surround? Upgrade to the Atmos card later.
You can't do heights. It's a 7.2 pre/pro. With the Atmos card you would be able to do 7.2.4
cel4145 likes this.

post #4911 of 4920 Old 08-24-2017, 06:40 PM
MaHawkma

Well, here is my new set-up. Forgive the mess of wires behind my TV stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_Sierrra2.JPG (304.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_Lunas.JPG (662.0 KB, 66 views)
ambesolman likes this.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
HT Set-up: Yamaha RX-A2060; Ascend Acoustics LCR and Luna surrounds; Rythmik LV12R
Desktop Set-up: Yamaha RX-A730; Ascend Acoustics Luna's; Polk TL1 Center; Rythmik L12
post #4912 of 4920 Old 08-24-2017, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, here is my new set-up. Forgive the mess of wires behind my TV stand.
Looking good. Now you need taller speaker stands for the Lunas. Surround speakers need to be between 1.5 to 3 ft above ear level.

post #4913 of 4920 Old 08-24-2017, 07:03 PM
MaHawkma

Quote:
Looking good. Now you need taller speaker stands for the Lunas. Surround speakers need to be between 1.5 to 3 ft above ear level.
No crap? Been running my surrounds at the level for ever. Learn something new every day. Any recommendations for a set of stands that won't break the bank?
jjackkrash likes this.

post #4914 of 4920 Old 08-24-2017, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No crap? Been running my surrounds at the level for ever. Learn something new every day. Any recommendations for a set of stands that won't break the bank?
Got these two weeks ago for my bedroom surround speakers (B&W 686 S2s) and they are awesome. They are height adjustable up to 45".

https://www.overstock.com/Electronic...2/product.html

Here some pictures with the Lunas and the 686 S2s. The other speaker stand is the one I use with the Lunas, Ultimate Support MS-90/45

Attached Images
File Type: jpg A8823F2B-CADA-4684-A38D-8081D639E1E5.JPG (321.7 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg F1EF541B-664D-4C3B-9A7A-43FFE6616162.JPG (243.4 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg EADA9556-0C1D-4EE3-985D-31DE88BB4A6E.JPG (274.6 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg 5700254A-A0FC-49CB-9DE8-62535FB5362B.JPG (267.7 KB, 286 views)

post #4915 of 4920 Old 08-24-2017, 09:21 PM
MaHawkma

Awesome. Ordered myself a set to replace the ones I have. Thanks @enricoclaudio!

Last edited by woster402; 08-24-2017 at 09:44 PM.
post #4916 of 4920 Old 08-24-2017, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is this speaker specific or general guidance when you are not running Atmos? I am installing new system in my living room (see posts above) and was just reading a link to Atmos set-up guidance it it says all "listener-level speakers" should be the same level. See page 6:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...guidelines.pdf
post #4917 of 4920 Old 08-24-2017, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is this speaker specific or general guidance when you are not running Atmos? I am installing new system in my living room (see posts above) and was just reading a link to Atmos set-up guidance it it says all "listener-level speakers" should be the same level. See page 6:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...guidelines.pdf
It's the general rule for 5.1 and 7.1 systems (according to Dolby, DTS and THX)

https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/74...aker-placement

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-VdgwFK...placement.html

For Dolby Atmos it's recommended to have surround and rear surrounds speakers at the same height of the front speakers or up to 1.25 x front speakers height.
jjackkrash likes this.

post #4918 of 4920 Old 08-24-2017, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for clarifying!
post #4919 of 4920 Old 08-25-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

BTW, I can increase the angle if necessary.

I'm no means an expert, but since I've looking for Atmos upifiring modules to match my Funk audio towers, I'll chime in on what little I know

1) the drivers want to produce a more focused wave to make it sound like it's coming from the ceiling

2) don't want very low extension. again, since bass is more omnidirectional it'll sound from the speaker than the ceiling bounce point

3) angle for sure. The pictures suggest the wave would bounce
Straight up and down. Degree of angle depends on ceiling height and distance to listening position

I think Luna's may be a bit overkill for upfiring modules....

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Salk Songtower RT
post #4920 of 4920 Old 09-08-2017, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am interested in the Ascend Sierra towers and the Horizon center speaker. I would really like to audition them. Any owners around Cleveland, Ohio willing to help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page