3Likes

post #31 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Fellas:

This thread was started (by me) as a Sierra support thread. Could we take the comparos to another thread? David just closed another Sierra thread that wasn't "support".

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 06:46 AM

Liked: 11
Chris (Tex-Amp) - If there is any interest in this, please open a new thread, and feel free to copy-paste the guidelines I posted here.

Tony ... No worries. I won't mention another word here about a comparo...
post #33 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Mike is quite comfortable with these situations. I don't want a lot of fuss or angst about this, and am pretty sure no on else does, either. As you named the Sierras, why not make you the "point man" on this ?

Check with David, and if he is ok with the idea, please let us know. If he isn't, drop me a PM, and it won't be mentioned again.

The Basic set up is this:

1. Speakers will be set up in an ABAB fashion
2. They will be level matched using white noise, Gold Line Microphones and calibrators, M-Audio external pre-amp as a sound card, and True RTA's latest software.
3. Switching is done via remote, and is instantaneous.
4. The differences in various qualities are noted by the listeners, such as Jason. Their notes will include things like omaging, soudstage width and depth ... etc ...
5. It is not a preference test - though most people do seem to inherently pick a "winner", regardless how many times they are told not to.

I don't work for Ascend. You claim on another thread you always get the manufacturer's permission before you do these tests. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10412131

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
post #34 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 07:51 AM

Chris, It is not a claim, it is what I do. I was asked via PM's to do this comparison. I have asked openly if there is any interest. You asked if David had signed off on this. As I was not planning on any comparisons until asked to do so, and as of now, there is no set plans for a comparison, there was no reason to ask David anything.

I thought you might like to be involved in assisting with a listening comparo made up of AVS members. Apparently, I was in error. Please, accept my apologies, and we will move on.

I am purchasing a set of Sierras for my own personal use, and we can leave it at that.

Tony is correct, this is a support thread. After receiving mine, if anyone needs assistance in obtaining the maximum performance from his or her Sierras, I will attempt to help.
post #35 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
From the graphs on the Ascend forum it appears the Sierras have a sensitivity of 85dB @ 2.83 volts @ 1 meter. Can anyone confirm this is correct?
post #36 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl View Post

From the graphs on the Ascend forum it appears the Sierras have a sensitivity of 85dB @ 2.83 volts @ 1 meter. Can anyone confirm this is correct?

David posted 87dB.

Although not scientific, they do seem to be 3dB less efficient than my 340SE's.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #37 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 08:19 AM

Given that it obviously varies by frequency, the sensitivity could be pegged as 87 or 85, depending on how you want to call it. I'd probably peg it at 85 from what I see, but its not like that will compare with what other manufacturers pull out of their rears.
post #38 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano-M View Post

Given that it obviously varies by output, the sensitivity could be pegged as 87 or 85, depending on how you want to call it. I'd probably peg it at 85 from what I see, but its not like that will compare with what other manufacturers pull out of their rears.

Agreed...when using my 340SE's or 170SE's as baselines, other speakers' sensitivity ratings vary by a fair amount when compared to the manufacturer spec.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #39 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Chris, It is not a claim, it is what I do. I was asked via PM's to do this comparison. I have asked openly if there is any interest. You asked if David had signed off on this. As I was not planning on any comparisons until asked to do so, and as of now, there is no set plans for a comparison, there was no reason to ask David anything.

I thought you might like to be involved in assisting with a listening comparo made up of AVS members. Apparently, I was in error. Please, accept my apologies, and we will move on.

I am purchasing a set of Sierras for my own personal use, and we can leave it at that.

Tony is correct, this is a support thread. After receiving mine, if anyone needs assistance in obtaining the maximum performance from his or her Sierras, I will attempt to help.

No matter what you do Craig.... in some peoples eyes, you are going to be wrong. A shame really, when someone with your resources and passion for the hobby tries to do on a regular basis, something that a lot of us can only dream of doing. You always end up getting way more grief than you deserve.

I, for one, am VERY interested in the new Sierra's and how they might compare to my Ref 1's. ANY comparative testing you do, most especially with the Saphire XL's, since I'm extremely familiar with those, would be appreciated.

Thanks for your efforts.

John W.
Indy
post #40 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 AM

Doesn't Craig have access to the Strata Mini's as well? Now *that* would be an interesting comparison. While it is obviously an unfair fight in terms of bass capabilities, it would be extremely interesting to see how they compare in spatial imaging, tonality, etc. And given the fact that it competes in the 1500-4000 range (and that was originally quoted in its debut), I would think that should be fun.
post #41 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post

Fellas:

This thread was started (by me) as a Sierra support thread. Could we take the comparos to another thread? David just closed another Sierra thread that wasn't "support".

I'm sure many would love to discuss the Sierra vs other products, but this isn't the place to do so. If you want, you can start a new thread for Sierra vs ACI XL, or whatever other product...

Here, I created the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=850414

If we could keep this to the subject at hand it would be great. Still waiting for my pair to arrive.
post #42 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, let me know how that's working out for you...what a great way to throw fuel on an already blazing fire. I think the thread existed for about 10 minutes before being rightly axed.

J.

Custom Built For The Win!
post #43 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This thread was started (by me) as a Sierra support thread.

Tony,

Are you already an owner, or have you just purchased or plan to purchase the Sierras?

J.

post #44 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 11:40 AM

With all the other versus threads on this forum, I personally think its a load of BS. We aren't asking to definitively crown a winner. We just want to know what people think of the differences. But hey, if the admins want to censor, by all means, they can censor.
post #45 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman View Post

Tony,

Are you already an owner, or have you just purchased or plan to purchase the Sierras?

J.

I am not an owner, but an interested observer. I've currently got a pile of speakers at home (check my profile) and have always admired Dave's work. I thought it would be good to start a thread without all the rancor as I think lots of folks will be interested in the Sierras and would like to obtain information without the tit vs tat back and forth.

Tony

Hometown team
post #46 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano-M View Post

With all the other versus threads on this forum, I personally think its a load of BS. We aren't asking to definitively crown a winner. We just want to know what people think of the differences. But hey, if the admins want to censor, by all means, they can censor.

Without comparisons, describing sound is quite difficult.
post #47 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcjago View Post

Based on my listening, I would say the Sierras get down to at least 40hz if not a little lower. For music they sound fantastic without a sub.

p.s. I have three cbm-170se for sale if anyone is interested. Local pickup preferred. I'm in Lomita, CA.

Xcjago, Can you give us your thoughts regarding the 170SEs and Sierras?
post #48 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_T View Post

Without comparisons, describing sound is quite difficult.

What about comparing the sound to the real thing?

Tony

Hometown team
post #49 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 01:11 PM

I am really looking forward to the reviews, that price kills me, I am going to have to see how much I can get for some of my audio and video equipment I am not using. I really shouldn't be spending any money at the moment but they sounds like they are going to be some great speakers. I still love my 340se, but if these are a decent upgrade I am going to want to upgrade.

Before this I was thinking I had to spend a good bit more than what I spent for my 340se to get a good upgrade but it sounds like this could be the upgrade I would like at a price I can do. Why do they have to do this too me, just charge 1500+ and make it so I wouldn't think about upgrading.
post #50 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought it would be good to start a thread without all the rancor as I think lots of folks will be interested in the Sierras and would like to obtain information without the tit vs tat back and forth.

Well hopefully this thread (unlike the others) can stay that way.

J.

post #51 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:

What about comparing the sound to the real thing?

Okay, I'll bite:

There are very few, if any, circumstances where we know what the "real thing" sounded like when we listen to a recording.

Another thing: what the heck is a "support thread" when it comes to a loudspeaker?? What kind of support are we talking about?
post #52 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

Xcjago, Can you give us your thoughts regarding the 170SEs and Sierras?

Well, I haven't put the 170SEs back up since I got the Sierras. The 170SE is a great speaker, especially for the price, but the Sierra is in a whole different league, as it should be for more than twice the price.

First the build quality on the Sierra is outstanding. I have the piano black finish and it is beautiful. If you tap your knuckles on it, it feels very solid with no resonance. The 170SE cabinet feels very hollow in comparison.

The next big difference is the bass. With the 170SE, you could barely live with them without a subwoofer, IMO. The Sierras are a whole different story. I have no desire to turn on my sub with them for music. A sub would probably help if you wanted to play at very high volumes, but I don't usually go above 95db or so.

Lastly, I always felt the 170SE was a little weak in the soundstage/imaging department. Imaging is a little fuzzy and the soundstage doesn't extend much beyond the width of the speakers. Although, I don't know of any speakers for $350 that are any better. The 170SE is very neutral and that is what I really like about them. I still think they are the best speaker for $350. The Sierra, however, has excellent imaging and soundstage. I was listening to Tool's Jambi from 10,000 days and the electric guitar solo around the 4 min mark sounded like it was going to burst out of my TV. Razor sharp imaging.
post #53 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am not an owner, but an interested observer. I've currently got a pile of speakers at home (check my profile) and have always admired Dave's work. I thought it would be good to start a thread without all the rancor as I think lots of folks will be interested in the Sierras and would like to obtain information without the tit vs tat back and forth.

If you ever make it to the Los Angeles area...

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
post #54 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, I'll bite:

There are very few, if any, circumstances where we know what the "real thing" sounded like when we listen to a recording.

Another thing: what the heck is a "support thread" when it comes to a loudspeaker?? What kind of support are we talking about?

Okay, I'll bite:

Placement issues, stand recos, amplification recos, toe in, tweeter height, wire recos, etc.

Tony

Hometown team
post #55 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mziegler View Post

If you ever make it to the Los Angeles area...

I'll be there in June for a visit to my client, USC.

Tony

Hometown team
post #56 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

Please help me out. I just bought these speakers and I'm not sure how to connect them to my DVD player. The DVD player has a bunch of connectors on the back panel and all the speakers have are these red and black thumb screws! HELP!

That kind of support? Yeah, 3/4 of the the thread are that kind of support.
He he he.

post #57 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'll be there in June for a visit to my client, USC.

Tony...that's great! Hope we can all hook up....eventhough I currently work for UCLA.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #58 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
where can I see a pic of these sierra's ? link?

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #59 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

post #60 of 3186 Old 05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Tony...that's great! Hope we can all hook up....eventhough I currently work for UCLA.

That's cool. Even though as a Banana Slug I say a pox on both your houses.

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page