post #61 of 3183 Old 05-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_T View Post

Another thing: what the heck is a "support thread" when it comes to a loudspeaker?? What kind of support are we talking about?

A lot of folks are looking for "support" regarding making a purchasing decision. That is where speaker a vs speaker b is helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3183 Old 05-21-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by droht View Post

A lot of folks are looking for "support" regarding making a purchasing decision. That is where speaker a vs speaker b is helpful.

True, but in this case very few (2 or 3?) are capable of providing comparisons and Curtis is showing discretion in keeping his keyboard shut.

Hope and speculation in posting with regard to these speakers should be considered hype.
post #63 of 3183 Old 05-21-2007, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Yeah well, in recent days, I have been accused of hyping and fanboyism by one of our favorite B&M dealers.

Other than what has been said already, I'd rather let the speakers do their own talking, and all these locked down/deleted thread bother me.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #64 of 3183 Old 05-21-2007, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't want to stray too far off topic, but I have never once considered you a fanboy or shill for Ascend. Ever.

On topic, I will need to place these ~18 inches from the rear wall and 20" from the side walls, will this present a problem?
post #65 of 3183 Old 05-21-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Eric.

The Sierra center channel I have is closer than that to the rear wall, and it does not seem to be a problem.

20" to a sidewall seems a bit close for any speaker. I just measured mine....my left speaker is 27" from the side wall.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #66 of 3183 Old 05-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl View Post

True, but in this case very few (2 or 3?) are capable of providing comparisons and Curtis is showing discretion in keeping his keyboard shut.

Hope and speculation in posting with regard to these speakers should be considered hype.

Well, I guess almost anyone talking about speakers they haven't heard is hype too. Most of this damn thing should probably be shut down then, and not just the speaker forum. Technology tends to lead people to speculate about the next new thing. Oh well, what're you gonna do? I just think it is a shame that we can't get more info here because people are basically afraid of having threads deleted or locked.
post #67 of 3183 Old 05-21-2007, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droht View Post

Well, I guess almost anyone talking about speakers they haven't heard is hype too. Most of this damn thing should probably be shut down then, and not just the speaker forum. Technology tends to lead people to speculate about the next new thing. Oh well, what're you gonna do? I just think it is a shame that we can't get more info here because people are basically afraid of having threads deleted or locked.

Sorry to go off topic but I just wanted to say I agree with you 100% here.

Fortunately Curtis is not that far away and I'm sure he would be happy to have me swing by sometime to hear the Sierra. Based on what I heard from the 170SE I'm sure the Sierra is fantastic.
post #68 of 3183 Old 05-22-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

ericgl- I'm hoping to have mine this weekend but if I don't get a ship notice today with the holiday weekend they won't get here until next Tuesday at the earliest. I maybe out of town the that following weekend and can try to work something out for you to borrow them then. I'm down south off of 6.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
post #69 of 3183 Old 05-22-2007, 10:25 AM

I will have my center channel VERY close to the wall.... hopefully it won't degrade performance too much, probably 4 inches of clearance in the back... better than nothing.
post #70 of 3183 Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkaudio View Post

I will have my center channel VERY close to the wall.... hopefully it won't degrade performance too much, probably 4 inches of clearance in the back... better than nothing.

If that's the case, May be you need to have the center channel crossed over at 80 or 100. Dave might be able to give you the best recommendation.

Ascend Towers with RAAL
Onkyo PR-SC5508
Bel Canto Pre-6
Outlaw 770
Oppo 105
Ciunas DAC
post #71 of 3183 Old 05-22-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO View Post

Fortunately Curtis is not that far away and I'm sure he would be happy to have me swing by sometime to hear the Sierra.

Most definitely Mucho. Send me an email.

I have not been able to spend as much time critically listening to the Sierras in the last couple of days......little league, homework, etc.....you know the drill.

When mziegler was over the other night, we noticed the extra seperation in instruments compared to the 340SE, so last night I decided to try out a track that would test this.

When at CES earlier this year, I learn of a track by the Fairfield Four that is a nice test of seperation. Four part harmony that can end up blending on some speakers. We used it a lot in Vegas.

Anyways, with the Sierras, it is very easy to pick out each voice in the harmony.

Also, TV watching (Heroes in particular since is the only show that have watched all the way through since getting the speakers) has been very nice. I am even impressed with my kids' cartoons.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #72 of 3183 Old 05-22-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

When at CES earlier this year, I learn of a track by the Fairfield Four that is a nice test of seperation. Four part harmony that can end up blending on some speakers. We used it a lot in Vegas.

Anyways, with the Sierras, it is very easy to pick out each voice in the harmony.

It is Fairfield Four's Standing in the Safety Zone track 6 about 1:50 into the song. Actually, there is a lot of four part harmony on that disc that shows which speakers can separate all four voices in harmony or if all the voices blend together but track 6 has the added dimension of a deep bass voice coming in on the top of the 4 part harmony. The TAD room was using this disc too to show off the TAD's abilities. I learned of it a few years ago from a DIY speaker build who played in the symphony.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
post #73 of 3183 Old 05-22-2007, 12:21 PM

for anyone who doesnt want to keep their piano black sierra's pm me, i would be interested in purchasing them.
post #74 of 3183 Old 05-22-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureRX7 View Post

for anyone who doesnt want to keep their piano black sierra's pm me, i would be interested in purchasing them.

might be tough....because for the next 30 days, virtually everyone will be inside their trial period. If they don't like them, they return them for everything less shipping.

I think you would be better off doing the same thing.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #75 of 3183 Old 05-22-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureRX7 View Post

Does this mean they are sold out and you're offering more than Ascend's sales price?

post #76 of 3183 Old 05-22-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-amp View Post

ericgl- I'm hoping to have mine this weekend but if I don't get a ship notice today with the holiday weekend they won't get here until next Tuesday at the earliest. I maybe out of town the that following weekend and can try to work something out for you to borrow them then. I'm down south off of 6.

Tex-amp that is a very generous offer, but more than I can accept. I am kind of a speaker junkie (although others here are worse) and wouldn't mind buying a pair to try, a least at the introductory price.
post #77 of 3183 Old 05-23-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like there is some b-stock for piano black....

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...2960#post22960

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #78 of 3183 Old 05-23-2007, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

12% seems like a deal
post #79 of 3183 Old 05-23-2007, 08:19 PM

Being a 340SE owner, is this supposed to be a step up? I mean the size is smaller, once less driver...etc I know I love my Ascends
post #80 of 3183 Old 05-23-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It is definitely a step up.....or two, three, four......

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #81 of 3183 Old 05-23-2007, 08:33 PM

Mind elaborating? I use mine 90% HT, and find that the dual driver design and efficiency of the tweeter and the rest of the speaker gives me mind boggling clear and concise sound. I hate to say this, but bare with me... I thought that size might have counted again I'm not bashing, I own this brand, but everyone has upgrade envy
post #82 of 3183 Old 05-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

I just started listening to the Sierras.

Very impressive. I have posted my impressions after comparing them to the 340s at Curtis's, but the difference is more pronounced in my room, and in a good way. Everything is better defined, the bass is better. Unfortunately I'm off to the Bay Area for five days tomorrow, so I won't have the weekend to listen.

In the next month or so I should have the chance to compare the speaker to many others. Should be interesting.

My family is watching American Idol right now, with the sound very low--they are impressed with the clarity.

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
post #83 of 3183 Old 05-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

So Curtis, do you actually *own* Sierras, and compared them to 340's yourself?
post #84 of 3183 Old 05-23-2007, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yup.

But in all honesty, the 340's have spent very little time on the stands since I gotten the Sierras. In fact, the only time is when mziegler was here. I really do not feel the need to compare.

Someone else is coming over tomorrow night for a listen. He may want to compare to the 340's.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #85 of 3183 Old 05-24-2007, 05:17 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I always run my 340SE's "small" XO 80hz with a powered SW. Curtis, maybe you can compare the Sierra's and the 340SE's in this fashion. I am interested in the outcome between the two

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #86 of 3183 Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sure thing Gov, but as mziegler posted, the Sierra has an overall "clearer picture". I think the imaging is better as well.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #87 of 3183 Old 05-24-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mziegler View Post

I just started listening to the Sierras.

Very impressive. I have posted my impressions after comparing them to the 340s at Curtis's, but the difference is more pronounced in my room, and in a good way. Everything is better defined, the bass is better. Unfortunately I'm off to the Bay Area for five days tomorrow, so I won't have the weekend to listen.

In the next month or so I should have the chance to compare the speaker to many others. Should be interesting.

My family is watching American Idol right now, with the sound very low--they are impressed with the clarity.

MZiegler, are you crossing over with a sub?
post #88 of 3183 Old 05-24-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

MZiegler, are you crossing over with a sub?

I emailed mziegler a bit last night after he got the speakers. I don't know if he integrated his sub or not. He is gone for the long weekend though...back on Tuesday I think.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #89 of 3183 Old 05-24-2007, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxsoulja3 View Post

Mind elaborating? I use mine 90% HT, and find that the dual driver design and efficiency of the tweeter and the rest of the speaker gives me mind boggling clear and concise sound. I hate to say this, but bare with me... I thought that size might have counted again I'm not bashing, I own this brand, but everyone has upgrade envy

I use mine 90% for HT also and agree with you that the speakers give mind boggling clear and concise sound. I was watching TV last night and was thinking,..can the Sierras be THAT much better?

I got my 340SEs a year ago. They blew me away so much that I threw away the boxes, thinking that I'd never upgrade again since I don't plan on spending 2k+ on speakers.

Then, the Sierras come along.

Since I'm not rich, I'm thinking that the difference between the Sierras and 340SEs when using a sub are not worth the price difference to me. If the money wasn't an issue, I'd definitely get them.

If I were able to sell my 340SE L/C/R for $700, I'd consider getting the Sierras.

Can't wait until someone in the Washington D.C. area gets the Sierras so that I can hear them for myself!
post #90 of 3183 Old 05-24-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If I were 90% HT, I probably would not have upgraded.

While I think it makes a difference, I am more critical of music.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page