Ascend's Avatar Ascend 02:38 PM 10-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeveraggi View Post

Thanks for your interest David.
Sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

David (and sbeveraggi),

You mind piggy-backing (copying) that PM conversation over to me too? I've wondered about the plug question myself from time to time. There are circumstances in which it might come in handy for me, but I'm wondering about the practicality and degree of control allowed by using plugs. Some feedback would help clarify things for me.

*longtime Sierra web-windowshopper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

include me on that pm exchange as well, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 View Post

Why not post it here I wanna know about plugging the ports???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoboss View Post

I too am interested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Weiner View Post

Please share and educate all of us,

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post

Since David has mentioned that he was already working on it, I'm sure he will share the results with all of us when he is satisfied with his testing. I'm eagerly waiting for this as well..

Hi Guys,

AVS is not the place to announce this. It could be construed by some as "marketing".

I will be releasing information by way of our mailing list first, followed by a full discussion on our own forum.

sbeveraggi's Avatar sbeveraggi 02:42 PM 10-09-2008
How is the pair of Sierras shipped? 2 individual boxes or 1 box with both speakers inside? Are there any pictures of the shipping boxes?
I'm considering international shipping and fear my countries' postal workers won't handle my future speakers with all the care they deserve... do they come well protected from damage?
Thanks for your help!
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 02:56 PM 10-09-2008
one box...

they are double boxed, and well protected...

i suppose if you want pictures bad enough, i could be cajoled into digging the box out of my shed...

trust me, our shipping companies in the united states don't handle stuff with care either... marking something "fragile" on the outside merely is an invitation to throw it into the truck harder...
Grandarf's Avatar Grandarf 03:18 PM 10-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

Hi Guys,

AVS is not the place to announce this. It could be construed by some as "marketing".

I will be releasing information by way of our mailing list first, followed by a full discussion on our own forum.

Are we really talking about plugging the ports? How could plugging the ports information be portrayed as marketing? Guess I too will wait for the announcement!

sbeveraggi: They're very well packed in one double box, but anyway if anything happens the package is insured. And always, when you receive a package, check the boxes... If there's some box damage or if it looks banged up, have the carrier clearly indicate it in detail on the shipping receipt, that could be handy later on in case something got damaged besides the box.
kemitchell's Avatar kemitchell 03:33 PM 10-09-2008
They come very well packaged. Pairs come double boxed in one outer box, centers come double boxed individually. Here's some pics I took when I got mine. Click on the thumbnails for larger pics.

sbeveraggi's Avatar sbeveraggi 04:32 PM 10-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

one box...
they are double boxed, and well protected...
i suppose if you want pictures bad enough, i could be cajoled into digging the box out of my shed...
trust me, our shipping companies in the united states don't handle stuff with care either... marking something "fragile" on the outside merely is an invitation to throw it into the truck harder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf View Post

They're very well packed in one double box, but anyway if anything happens the package is insured. And always, when you receive a package, check the boxes... If there's some box damage or if it looks banged up, have the carrier clearly indicate it in detail on the shipping receipt, that could be handy later on in case something got damaged besides the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemitchell View Post

They come very well packaged. Pairs come double boxed in one outer box, centers come double boxed individually. Here's some pics I took when I got mine. Click on the thumbnails for larger pics.

Thank you all for your responses. They seem to be extremely well packed. Great pics kemitchell!
Just have to check international shipping costs and taxes... almost ready to order and join the Sierra Club.
Hope they sound as good as they look when they arrive!
I'm desperate to finally start hearing rich, full, enveloping music all around me.... not just the hollow, lifeless sound coming from inside the boxes of my current HITB speakers.
kemitchell's Avatar kemitchell 04:51 PM 10-09-2008
Quote:

Hope they sound as good as they look when they arrive!

I honestly don't think you'll be dissapointed in the least.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 04:54 PM 10-09-2008
nope, i don't think he will either...
sbeveraggi's Avatar sbeveraggi 05:44 PM 10-09-2008
I now have an Onkyo 904 HITB, consisting on a 110 watts per channel TX-SR505 receiver (will it be enough to power the Sierras until I can upgrade it in a couple of months?) and a 5.1 set of on-wall speakers. It does ok for movies and tv, but I find it lacking for music. My intention is to slowly build a decent setup for my living room.
First, I will replace my mains with Sierras for a 4.1 setup using phantom center.
Then, add a Sierra Center. Later, replace the Onkyo sub (terrible boomy bass) for something small and musical like an SVS SB12+, Rhythmik DS12 or the upcoming Ascend Subwoofer. And finally replace my receiver for a Denon 2809 or similar. I will be using my spare Onkyo speakers only for surround duties on movies.
Any suggestions for my "upgrade plan"?
sbeveraggi's Avatar sbeveraggi 11:53 AM 10-13-2008
Bump...
Will the Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver be enough to power the Sierras till I can afford something better? It is said to have +100 watts per channel...
CobblestoneHank's Avatar CobblestoneHank 12:16 PM 10-13-2008
Yes that is enough. My receiver is 90W x 7ch and it does fine.
sbeveraggi's Avatar sbeveraggi 01:21 PM 10-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobblestoneHank View Post

Yes that is enough. My receiver is 90W x 7ch and it does fine.

Great! Thanks CobblestoneHank.
f1restarter's Avatar f1restarter 02:08 PM 10-13-2008
Absolutely loving my Sierras! I am surprised I haven't felt the need to buy a subwoofer with these babies.
kemitchell's Avatar kemitchell 04:02 PM 10-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1restarter View Post

I am surprised I haven't felt the need to buy a subwoofer with these babies.

I'm not.
CobblestoneHank's Avatar CobblestoneHank 06:41 PM 10-13-2008
I'm still trying to figure out what sub I want. I want a musical sub but really the Sierras don't need a sub for music. So maybe I only have to worry about the HT aspect.

Cool. While typing this the UPS guy delivered my 200SEs. Time to play.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 06:47 PM 10-13-2008
well, to offer a contrary opinion...

imo, as good as the sierra's are for music without a sub, they are even better WITH a (well integrated) sub...
CobblestoneHank's Avatar CobblestoneHank 06:51 PM 10-13-2008
And what sub do you think pairs nice with the Sierras? Since I haven't been in a rush I'm kind of waiting to see how the Scamp 10 turns out.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 07:10 PM 10-13-2008
not familiar with a "scamp 10", so can't comment on that one...

hmmm... there's probably a lot of "good" answers for that one... there's a lot of "good" subs out there... what's your budget?

imo, a "good" sub will pair with any speakers... you don't have to worry about timbre matching, etc. with a sub... it's more about actual integration (i.e. xover selection, level matching, positioning, etc.) than anything else...
CobblestoneHank's Avatar CobblestoneHank 10:20 PM 10-13-2008
I'm looking in the area of $300 - $400 and I have a medium size room. I don't want to go too big because I have rabbits in my living room. They're my wife's pets and I don't want to kill them with bass. So anyway I hate boomy subs and I want something fast and clean. I kind of know the HSU vs SVS arguments. HSU has the edge for music and SVS for HT. I've been looking at the PB10, STF-2, Acculine ASub, and the yet to exist Scamp-10.

At first I thought the STF-2 would be what I'm looking for but since the Sierras already do so good with music maybe the PB10 is the way to go.
Ironmike86's Avatar Ironmike86 10:45 PM 10-13-2008
IMO Since your spoiled with the Sierra's Why not up your budget and get a sub that will match the same quality? At least a Hsu Vtf-2-3, Vtf3.3 Svs Pb12, Epik Knight or Valor?
The Pb10 is a good sub but you have Sierras
cschang's Avatar cschang 10:49 PM 10-13-2008
I think Ironmike has the right idea. For the Sierras, $300-400 is going to be a tough match.

To Mike's list I would add the 12" Rythmik sealed sub. It is double what you want to spend, but the sound quality is in the same league as the Sierras.
Ironmike86's Avatar Ironmike86 11:16 PM 10-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I think Ironmike has the right idea. For the Sierras, $300-400 is going to be a tough match.

To Mike's list I would add the 12" Rythmik sealed sub. It is double what you want to spend, but the sound quality is in the same league as the Sierras.

I was just going to get him started in the $5-600 range the watch him work his way up Those are Sierra's if your getting a sub up the budget save for a year if needed IME/IMO
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 08:28 AM 10-14-2008
i'd agree with both curtis and mike... your best option is to save a few more bucks at this time... i think that if i was looking for a new sub under 1k right now, the rythmik people would be getting my money...

to be frank, "$300-$400" and "good sub" can't go together in the same sentence...
CobblestoneHank's Avatar CobblestoneHank 08:48 AM 10-14-2008
lol I thought those were good subs. Is the PB12 really a better quality sub than the PB10? I figured it was just an increase in the volume output. The same question for the VTF-3. Is it just volume or quality? Quality is good but I don't play things very loud anymore.

I've already been looking at the Rythmik subs but with an enclosure they are a bit more than I want to spend. I have the tools to build one but not the experience to build furniture quality. It wouldn't look very good.
Ironmike86's Avatar Ironmike86 08:19 PM 10-14-2008
Those subs you mention are good for lower end. But you have bookshelves in a much better league. You will be happier is you get a sub closer to there performance. Research Epik Valor. If you want to keep the price low and still get decent HT. If your room isn't to large say under 2,000^3 it 's a good buy. Sound good for music @$620 shipped. If you have a bigger budget that opens a lot more subs. IMO anything less than a Valor won't do the Sierra justice. JMO
But if you want to keep the budget down a Pb10 is good for HT in a small room. But you don't want to end up like this.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...p/DSC06111.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...p/DSC06121.jpg
Do it right I'm just trying to save you $$ My room is @2,000^3 I sit 6-7' away. Bass is addicting. When I get time I want to build Dual 18" in my space
sbeveraggi's Avatar sbeveraggi 12:08 AM 10-15-2008
Has anyone tried Sierras with the SVS SB12? Is it "musical" enough to keep up with them?
How do you think it compares with the Rythmik DS12?
cschang's Avatar cschang 12:14 AM 10-15-2008
Quote:

Has anyone tried Sierras with the SVS SB12? Is it "musical" enough to keep up with them?
How do you think it compares with the Rythmik DS12?

Check out this thread on the Ascend forum if you haven't done so already.
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3561

Personally, I have not heard the SB12, but I would put my money of the Rythmik.
sbeveraggi's Avatar sbeveraggi 07:56 AM 10-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Check out this thread on the Ascend forum if you haven't done so already.
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3561

Personally, I have not heard the SB12, but I would put my money of the Rythmik.

Thanks Curtis, I already have.
In fact, I also posted my preferences regarding the upcoming Ascend Sub.

1) Sound Quality ("musical" and "tight" are my priorities)
2) Size (15x15x15 would be great)
3) Finish quality (Piano Black to match the beautiful Sierras)
4) Deep Bass (doesn't need to go lower than 20hz)
5) Output Capabilities (just add more subs if you want to get evicted!)

"Something that beats the performance of the SVS SB12+ or Rythmik DS12 in a similar package for <$1000 would be fantastic! "
Gov's Avatar Gov 08:33 AM 10-15-2008
Does Dave still do a trade in program, 340SE's L/C/R for Sierra's? I am looking at upgrading.

Thanks
kemitchell's Avatar kemitchell 09:18 AM 10-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Does Dave still do a trade in program, 340SE's L/C/R for Sierra's? I am looking at upgrading.

Thanks

I'd ask him. Probably the quickest way to get in touch with him is to PM him over in the Ascend community. He's always been prompt in replying to me in the past.
Tags: Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics
First ... 38  39  40 41  42  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop