3Likes

post #2341 of 3186 Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannigan View Post

What's the consensus on best crossover point for the sierra 1? I have mine set up with a rhythmik F15 coming from an hk3490 receiver. I don't have any bass management on the receiver so I'm using the 80hz high pass built in to the F15 looping back in to the receiver. Because of this I have no way to test anything but 80hz without spending more money on external high pass filters and hoping it sounds good.

I'm using 80Hz as well and like it so far (I've only had the Sierras for a few weeks). I'm going to play around with 60Hz soon though since that is what Ascend recommends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3186 Old 07-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannigan View Post

What's the consensus on best crossover point for the sierra 1? I have mine set up with a rhythmik F15 coming from an hk3490 receiver. I don't have any bass management on the receiver so I'm using the 80hz high pass built in to the F15 looping back in to the receiver. Because of this I have no way to test anything but 80hz without spending more money on external high pass filters and hoping it sounds good.

One option that works extremely well with the HK3490 is to use the Sierra-1 Q-Plugs (more specifically, Q-plug A) which creates a 60Hz 12dB / Octave high-pass filter and then set the F12 low-pass filter to 60Hz.

We have many customers using the HK3490 in combination with Sierra-1 and a Rythmik subwoofer and almost all have commented that our recommended solution sounds best

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #2343 of 3186 Old 07-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintTheGent View Post

When are the NrTs going to be available? Don't see any info on the website.

We are happy to report that all Sierra-1 NrT upgrade parts will finally be back in stock tomorrow afternoon

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #2344 of 3186 Old 07-17-2011, 09:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

One option that works extremely well with the HK3490 is to use the Sierra-1 Q-Plugs (more specifically, Q-plug A) which creates a 60Hz 12dB / Octave high-pass filter and then set the F12 low-pass filter to 60Hz.

We have many customers using the HK3490 in combination with Sierra-1 and a Rythmik subwoofer and almost all have commented that our recommended solution sounds best

I'll probably try it along with a couple other things. I have a 70hz passive high pass coming in the mail and I've been using 80hz for about a week. Will report which one sounds best when I've tried em all.

pc> hk 990> ascend acoustics raal towers\rythmik f15
post #2345 of 3186 Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 PM

After much testing I can honestly say that 70hz crossover sounds worlds better than 80hz with sierras. I don't know if it was the gain from the F15's high pass or what but it was like every sound was in a higher key or something. Now I'm using an hlabs HP-1 70hz passive high pass and the sierras sound natural and full without any extra weirdness. Almost perfection.

pc> hk 990> ascend acoustics raal towers\rythmik f15
post #2346 of 3186 Old 08-06-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 316
I have a pair of CBM-170SEs and I thoroughly enjoy them. However, I have been thinking about upgrading and getting a pair of the Sierra 1s. I know Ascend is coming out with the NrT towers but I'd like to stick with bookshelves. I'm wondering if I should just go with the original Sierra 1s and maybe upgrade to the NrT later or just get the NrT now. I'm not even sure I "need" the upgrade. Any thoughts on this? The speakers will go in a smallish room (10x10) and be paired with a Parasound amp/preamp combo(Parasound 275/Zpre2).

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #2347 of 3186 Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
I have a pair of CBM-170SEs and I thoroughly enjoy them. However, I have been thinking about upgrading and getting a pair of the Sierra 1s. I know Ascend is coming out with the NrT towers but I'd like to stick with bookshelves. I'm wondering if I should just go with the original Sierra 1s and maybe upgrade to the NrT later or just get the NrT now. I'm not even sure I "need" the upgrade. Any thoughts on this? The speakers will go in a smallish room (10x10) and be paired with a Parasound amp/preamp combo(Parasound 275/Zpre2).
The NrT upgrade really comes down to your tastes. The Nrt over the standard sierra will provide more detail and top end energy. The mids will also be slightly more forward. If you like a more warm laid back sound(not that either one is dull), stick with the stock sierras, if you like a more aggressive high end and upper mids, the Nrt is great!
post #2348 of 3186 Old 08-06-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Thanks for the response. That insight helps. From your assessment it seems the stock Sierras are a bit more forgiving than the NrT version. Would that be correct?

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #2349 of 3186 Old 09-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
So I've had these speakers for about 5 months now and have been very happy with them, however I have begun to notice something that is a bit bothering: the audio from the left/right channels does not sound exactly the same as the center channel. I notice this especially with panning shots where the sound moves from the center channel to the left or right channel. It is easy to tell when the audio has switched speakers and does not sound as seamless as I think it should. When the audio moves from the center channel to the left or right channels, it sounds "brighter" or more hollow than it did at the center. Any ideas on why this could be? The side speakers are sitting on Pangea speaker stands while my center channel sits on the top shelf of a small media center rack. I have attached some pictures.
LL
LL
LL

post #2350 of 3186 Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 AM

I believe they are all identical with the exception of the center channel having the tweeter rotated by 90-degrees (for horizontal placement and better dispersion in the horizontal axis). Perhaps there is something wrong with the tweeter or crossover on you center channel. Maybe you can swap one of the fronts with the center and see if you still hear the same thing?
post #2351 of 3186 Old 09-08-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not sure if it will make a difference, but you may want to try putting them on the same horizontal plane. Can't tell from the photos.
post #2352 of 3186 Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
It is probably positioning and distance to the side walls (reflections) that is causing the difference.

Also double check your level settings.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #2353 of 3186 Old 09-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

It is probably positioning and distance to the side walls (reflections) that is causing the difference.

Also double check your level settings.

+1.. level setting and xover setting

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend with RAAL upgrade
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #2354 of 3186 Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the responses. As far as distance between speakers and walls, the right and left are about 14"-15" from the back wall. The left speaker is about 20" from the side wall; the right speaker is about 30" from the door when closed, though it often is not. The center channel is 18" from the back wall.

I did try playing around with the level settings, and it did seem to greatly improve, if not fix, the problem. The side speakers (or at least the right speaker) seemed to be overly loud. I lowered the level and it did improve, making the panning between center to right channel much more seamless. And it's not like I didn't calibrate my speakers. I ran Audyssey upon setup, but nevertheless I was able to reduce the right channel by 6 decibels to receive the seamless pan between channels I want. I have an SPL meter I could use to check the levels again, since Audyssey seems to have failed me. I actually have the Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray, which has tests involving pink noise for audio calibration. Is it better to use the receiver's own test tones versus a discs?

EDIT: Well, after rechecking audio levels with my sound level meter, the problem is still there. In this scene I am using from Breaking Bad to test the panning of conversation from the center channel to the right channel, when the audio transitions to the right channel it becomes too localized and distracting. This is the volume Audyssey and my SPL meter are telling me the channels should be at. But I don't think this can be right. I could always reduce the right channel but I don't like the idea of calibrating by ear.

post #2355 of 3186 Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post

So I've had these speakers for about 5 months now and have been very happy with them, however I have begun to notice something that is a bit bothering: the audio from the left/right channels does not sound exactly the same as the center channel. I notice this especially with panning shots where the sound moves from the center channel to the left or right channel. It is easy to tell when the audio has switched speakers and does not sound as seamless as I think it should. When the audio moves from the center channel to the left or right channels, it sounds "brighter" or more hollow than it did at the center. Any ideas on why this could be? The side speakers are sitting on Pangea speaker stands while my center channel sits on the top shelf of a small media center rack. I have attached some pictures.

The fact that you have been happy with the Sierras for as long as you have could indicate a few things. It could be a setting or level issue. Have you changed the location of any of the speakers? Have you tried listening with Audyssey off? I wonder if having the sub located where it is effects SQ? From the pictures the sub looks like it could effect the panning from the center to the left speaker. Maybe you could move it back further toward the wall or on the other side of the left speaker. If you set all the speaker levels to 75dB from your primary listening position you shouldn't have to worry about doing it by ear.

soundseeker's idea to swap a front speaker with the center is a very good idea. Although the wave guide of the tweeter will be positioned differently than the center. If I recall the position of the wave guide can be rotated. The height of the center looks to be located well for a seamless blend, I've seen much worse. Or as mentioned it could be an issue with the center speaker.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #2356 of 3186 Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

It took a while but I was finally able to get around to swapping out the center and right speaker to see if that made a difference. It didn't. The audio panning from center to right speaker was still obvious (and I did recalibrate the speakers after re-arranging them). Is this an issue with reflections then? I don't know what else to think. Again, I only ever notice this with the pan of audio from the center to side speaker; it just doesn't sound as seamless as I think it should.

post #2357 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 03:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 439
My guess is that it is both reflection related as well as the asymmetric L/R speaker locations WRT to the side walls not to mention the location of the sub.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #2358 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 02:13 PM

anyone run 4 Sierra1's for front and rears in a smaller HT room??
post #2359 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle454 View Post

I had a 5 sierra setup in my smaller living room until I replaced the front L&R with Ascend Towers.

What are you asking for specifically?
post #2360 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post

It took a while but I was finally able to get around to swapping out the center and right speaker to see if that made a difference. It didn't. The audio panning from center to right speaker was still obvious (and I did recalibrate the speakers after re-arranging them). Is this an issue with reflections then? I don't know what else to think. Again, I only ever notice this with the pan of audio from the center to side speaker; it just doesn't sound as seamless as I think it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

My guess is that it is both reflection related as well as the asymmetric L/R speaker locations WRT to the side walls not to mention the location of the sub.

I agree with Chu Gai.

Any chance or posting a picture of your setup?

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #2361 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree with Chu Gai.

Any chance or posting a picture of your setup?

I have, about 11 posts up.

post #2362 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What about one with a wider view that also shows the side walls?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #2363 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

What about one with a wider view that also shows the side walls?

Ok, will do as soon as I'm able.

If it helps, I believe the average distance between the speakers and the side walls is about 25". I detailed some of the measurements a few posts down from the one with the pictures.

post #2364 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I take it the door opens into the room and that was the reason for the placement of everything, yes?

post #2365 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, the door does open into the room. The right speaker is just outside of the door's reach when it opens into the room.

post #2366 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is the issue with just that scene in Breaking Bad?

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #2367 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle454 View Post

I run a 5.1 setup with 5 sierra 1s (non nrt) and it is pretty fantastic. The HT area is about 20x15. I also have a rythmik sub which has been awesome. I also listen to a decent amount of music in 2.1 configuration and is equally good.
post #2368 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg27 View Post

I run a 5.1 setup with 5 sierra 1s (non nrt) and it is pretty fantastic. The HT area is about 20x15. I also have a rythmik sub which has been awesome. I also listen to a decent amount of music in 2.1 configuration and is equally good.

nice! thanks for the reply!
can I ask what model Rythmik sub you have?
post #2369 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is the issue with just that scene in Breaking Bad?

That scene was the first time I really noticed it. I noticed it again on the Blu-ray of Scarface, when the sound of a gun firing pans from the center to right channel.

post #2370 of 3186 Old 09-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Here are some pictures to demonstrate the speaker distances from the walls.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page