post #2521 of 3183 Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

For your situation, I would definitely get the Q plugs and experiment (especially with your center channel).

For the stands...how old are your kids, and do they goof around close to where the speakers will be?

Okay I will definitely pick up the Q Plugs. My kids are 4 and 6 and honestly they rarely get close to the speakers. I have had my RC-10's on metal stands with blu tack for a few months and have never had an issue where they bumped them or anything. Now keeping them back from the wall mounted Kuro is another story .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3183 Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Did you try and experiment with the port plugs provided with your RC10's...I used the plugs from my RC30's & LCR but it altered the sound and I didn't care for them....but if you have placement issues...follow the advice from Curtis and experiment...

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #2523 of 3183 Old 02-01-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Did you try and experiment with the port plugs provided with your RC10's...I used the plugs from my RC30's & LCR but it altered the sound and didn't care for them....but if you have placement issues...follow the advice from Curtis and experiment...

Yes I did. I found that I didn't need the plugs on the RC-10's and agree with you that it altered the sound in a way that I didn't care for. I never listened to the RC-LCR without the plugs to be honest. I have had them in from day one because it is only 6-8 inches from the wall. I might have to check that again because I could pull the speaker forward a few inches if needed possibly eliminating the need for the plugs. The Q plugs honestly are not that cheap so maybe I will try the Sierras without them initially and see what they sound like (I am almost positive the center would be the only speaker that might require Q plugs in my setup).
post #2524 of 3183 Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Yes I did. I found that I didn't need the plugs on the RC-10's and agree with you that it altered the sound in a way that I didn't care for. I never listened to the RC-LCR without the plugs to be honest. I have had them in from day one because it is only 6-8 inches from the wall. I might have to check that again because I could pull the speaker forward a few inches if needed possibly eliminating the need for the plugs. The Q plugs honestly are not that cheap so maybe I will try the Sierras without them initially and see what they sound like (I am almost positive the center would be the only speaker that might require Q plugs in my setup).

I used to have my center channel about that close to the wall as well. I found that Q plug A cleaned up the sound noticeably.

My L/R speakers are about 20" or so from the wall, and I use Q plug B in them. While using it took away a little punch, it helped them blend even more seamlessly to the sub.

I got a new TV a year and half ago, so the center channel has been relocated. I now use plug B in the center channel.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #2525 of 3183 Old 02-01-2012, 07:32 PM

Liked: 10
Can't decide on which size speaker stands to get for the Sierra. What do you all use?

Looking to do either 22 / 26 / 30 inch.

22 is the height of my entertainment stand that holds all of the accessories. Thinking that might be too low though...
post #2526 of 3183 Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycannoli View Post

Can't decide on which size speaker stands to get for the Sierra. What do you all use?

22 is the height of my entertainment stand that holds all of the accessories. Thinking that might be too low though...

I use 30" tall stands from wood technology. They have 3 metal columns and metal top plate. The base is MDF. I have the larger diameter column filled with sand. I believe the model is MU-30.
post #2527 of 3183 Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 702
So I was hoping some of you could shed some light on the Sierra tower and soon to be release center channel speaker for me. I'm just trying to figure out what speakers I want to go with to upgrade my left, right and center channel speakers in my dedicated theater. I'm looking at some PSB speakers, Paradigm, KEF and Axiom M80 and VP180 center.

I was all set on the Axiom set up till I really started to do some research and there just seems to be such a love hate relationship with that set up. People either love them or hate them. I currently have the QS8 surrounds from Axiom and do quit enjoy them so I'm going to keep those as my surrounds.

I would say that the set up would be used for 85-90% theater use and the rest for music. And the Sierra tower with the new center channel would be right around the max budget that I'd want to spend on three speakers.

Any insight on how the Sierra towers would do in a mostly movie set up and along with how they compare to some of the other speakers I'm looking at would be greatly appreciated!

I've read the last 10pages of the Sierra thread and tried to find reviews on the new towers but it just seems like there's not a lot of reviews on them yet.

Thanks for the input in advance.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #2528 of 3183 Old 02-02-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Finally got my Sierra-1's set up and have been enjoying the awesome sound these babies put out. I do have some questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

First, does anyone know anything about the center channel that is being made to mate with the Sierra-1 towers? Speces, size, price?

Second, what speaker stands do you guys recommend for the Sierra-1's? I ordered some from Elemental Designs but when they came in I was disapointed because they were just flimsy woodend stands. I need some stands that will hold the speakers tight and wont fall over very easily.

Thanks!
post #2529 of 3183 Old 02-02-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Finally got my Sierra-1's set up and have been enjoying the awesome sound these babies put out. I do have some questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

First, does anyone know anything about the center channel that is being made to mate with the Sierra-1 towers? Speces, size, price?

Second, what speaker stands do you guys recommend for the Sierra-1's? I ordered some from Elemental Designs but when they came in I was disapointed because they were just flimsy woodend stands. I need some stands that will hold the speakers tight and wont fall over very easily.

Thanks!

These were recommended to me a page back. I am going to grab a set, but just not sure what size to go with

http://www.racksandstands.com/Sanus-...-b-SY0063.html
post #2530 of 3183 Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

So I was hoping some of you could shed some light on the Sierra tower and soon to be release center channel speaker for me. I'm just trying to figure out what speakers I want to go with to upgrade my left, right and center channel speakers in my dedicated theater. I'm looking at some PSB speakers, Paradigm, KEF and Axiom M80 and VP180 center.

I was all set on the Axiom set up till I really started to do some research and there just seems to be such a love hate relationship with that set up. People either love them or hate them. I currently have the QS8 surrounds from Axiom and do quit enjoy them so I'm going to keep those as my surrounds.

I would say that the set up would be used for 85-90% theater use and the rest for music. And the Sierra tower with the new center channel would be right around the max budget that I'd want to spend on three speakers.

Any insight on how the Sierra towers would do in a mostly movie set up and along with how they compare to some of the other speakers I'm looking at would be greatly appreciated!

I've read the last 10pages of the Sierra thread and tried to find reviews on the new towers but it just seems like there's not a lot of reviews on them yet.

Here is a dedicated thread for the ascend towers. You could also call up ascend to get more info on the center channel.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=ascend

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #2531 of 3183 Old 02-02-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:

These were recommended to me a page back. I am going to grab a set, but just not sure what size to go with

http://www.racksandstands.com/Sanus-...-b-SY0063.html

Ideally, you want the tweeters at ear level so base the stand height accordingly. I have Wood-Technology MU-30 stands(May even be Metal-Technology?) and they hold Sierra-1 NrT's just fine. With the chair I currently have as my listening seat, the stands could actually be a bit taller though it is a temporary situation.
post #2532 of 3183 Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone use the Ascend TP-24 stands for the Sierras? I am placing my order today and I was thinking about going that route. I found a few pictures in the Ascend forums but I was wondering (or at least trying to imagine) what the natural finish would look like on the TP-24's. I guess my second choice would probably be the Sanus SF series but I wanted to consider everything.
post #2533 of 3183 Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I own Axioms & Ascend and prefer the Sierra… I'm basing this on my own comparison of the Sierra 1 NrT, Axiom 22's and my Energy RC30's in home. I took the same approach as you with the Axioms by starting with the surrounds(q4's) and used them with my Energies in a HT setup. Last summer, I decided to order some 22's and Sierras about the same time. In the short time I had with all 3 speakers...I would rate them as follows… Sierras>Energy>Axiom but the latter 2 are more closer than they’re apart IMHO. The Ascend Sierra distinct advantage is their imaging and how they can isolate each note, cymbal or detail not unlike the others but simply do it better…they also have better depth or resolution in the mid range which pushes them further apart…making the others sound thin or “muddy” as some like to say. From your list I would say the Ascends are very strong contenders having only listened to the Psb Image awhile back I like my RC’s better.

On a footnote: The Axiom M80v3 was recently compared to the Monitor 11 in a recent review (soundstage…I believe) and subjectively speaking the Sierra are on another level…currently I am waiting for my Towers to arrive using my Axioms for music and I can really say that... I miss my Sierras!

My only knock against the Sierras is they are very revealing in nature ...something I wasn't used to with any of my prior speakers but now I better understand.

Just my 2 cents...

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

post #2534 of 3183 Old 02-02-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

Here is a dedicated thread for the ascend towers. You could also call up ascend to get more info on the center channel.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=ascend

There is also more information available on Ascend's forum.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #2535 of 3183 Old 02-02-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Thanks for the info guys, I didn't realize there was a Sierra tower thread and now I'm a member on the Ascend forum board too.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #2536 of 3183 Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 PM

Liked: 12
Hi All:

Any Sierra users near CT? Just purchased a set of NHT Classic Three's and would love to have a mini-shoot out before my 30 day trial is over. If interested send me a PM.

Thanks Bob
post #2537 of 3183 Old 02-11-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post

Hi All:

Any Sierra users near CT? Just purchased a set of NHT Classic Three's and would love to have a mini-shoot out before my 30 day trial is over. If interested send me a PM.

Thanks Bob

I'm in ct and have towers. Just ordered the rest of my setup, and it should be here in 1-2 weeks. My room isnt done, though, so the towers are with my existing stuff in my living room.
post #2538 of 3183 Old 02-12-2012, 06:50 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post

I'm in ct and have towers. Just ordered the rest of my setup, and it should be here in 1-2 weeks. My room isnt done, though, so the towers are with my existing stuff in my living room.

Thanks, the towers would be fun to hear but a bit overkill aginst the Three's I would think. Sounds like you will have a great setup. Bob
post #2539 of 3183 Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 AM

I have a pair of Sierra-1's that i am interested in letting go. They are Piano Black purchased in 2009. 1 small blemish on one from shipping. I am extremely anal and the blemish bothers me.

Shoot me a PM if interested.
post #2540 of 3183 Old 02-24-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I have these and like them very much

http://www.amazon.com/Vantage-Point-...0105005&sr=8-4

what sets them apart is that the height can be adjusted in 1" increments from 24" to 30".

the only downside is that the top plate is small but can be tweaked with custom plate:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=0

Quote:

post #2541 of 3183 Old 04-17-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For those of you in the Los Angeles area, the LA Audio/Video group is having a listening session tour this Saturday. First stop is my livingroom and my Ascends.

The rest of the listening will be at homes with dedicated HTs (no Ascends)....some pretty nice ones too!

More info here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21900326

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #2542 of 3183 Old 04-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

For those of you in the Los Angeles area, the LA Audio/Video group is having a listening session tour this Saturday. First stop is my livingroom and my Ascends.

The rest of the listening will be at homes with dedicated HTs (no Ascends)....some pretty nice ones too!

More info here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21900326

Sounds like fun, if anyone is interested I could open the shop down here for your group. I believe I have an early little league game to attend but I should be free from noon to around 6pm.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #2543 of 3183 Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

Sounds like fun, if anyone is interested I could open the shop down here for your group. I believe I have an early little league game to attend but I should be free from noon to around 6pm.

A schedule has been setup...and I got the first slot at 10am.

The rest of the homes are in the LA area (mostly South Bay).

I'd like to go down your way and listen to the Towers some more, and the STC with the RAAL since I didn't get a chance to do that last time. I'll talk to the guys this weekend and see if we can get a group down there.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #2544 of 3183 Old 05-03-2012, 05:52 PM

Quick question out there for the sierra owners.

In my HT setup the center channel sits close to the wall on a shelf. The sierra-1 center would literally be an inch off the wall max. Not really anything I can do about it. The L/R mains can hit the 18in mark OK as they'll be on stands.

The sierras are ported but from what I've read the Q-Plugs seem to work well in situations such as this. I'll be using a subwoofer (probably an outlaw lfm-1 as its on sale) with the speakers anyway. Will plugging the port on the center cause that much of an issue sound wise? I was also looking at the CMT-340s but they are also ported without the plug option.

The reviews on the ascend board seem positive but was wondering what the consensus was here. thanks!

- number six -
post #2545 of 3183 Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numsixof1 View Post

Quick question out there for the sierra owners.

In my HT setup the center channel sits close to the wall on a shelf. The sierra-1 center would literally be an inch off the wall max. Not really anything I can do about it. The L/R mains can hit the 18in mark OK as they'll be on stands.

The sierras are ported but from what I've read the Q-Plugs seem to work well in situations such as this. I'll be using a subwoofer (probably an outlaw lfm-1 as its on sale) with the speakers anyway. Will plugging the port on the center cause that much of an issue sound wise? I was also looking at the CMT-340s but they are also ported without the plug option.

The reviews on the ascend board seem positive but was wondering what the consensus was here. thanks!

For 1" of clearance I'd use Q-Plug A. It is the closed ended plug and has a steep rolloff of the bass, designed specifically for your situation as well as placing the Sierra within a cabinet or shelf unit.
post #2546 of 3183 Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY View Post

For 1" of clearance I'd use Q-Plug A. It is the closed ended plug and has a steep rolloff of the bass, designed specifically for your situation as well as placing the Sierra within a cabinet or shelf unit.

Actually it is less steep. 12 vs 24 db/ octave. And it has -3 db at 60 hz versus 44 hz. This plug should be aproppriared in this case.
post #2547 of 3183 Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Does anyone know how a pair of Sierra-1 Nrt's would compare in sound quality and general overall sound to the Sierra Towers? I would expect the top end (being that they both share the same Nrt tweeter) to be equal on both. I would also assume that both of these speakers would be equally revealing, as well as having an equal sound stage and imaging characteristics, and also, I would expect that they would both provide equal detailing. I would also assume that the main differences in sound quality between the two, is in the bass responce and possibly in the mid range. Are my assumptions correct?
post #2548 of 3183 Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Others may or may not...agree but having owned the Sierra 1 NrT's for about 6 months before I switched to the Towers...your last 2 assumptions are certainly correct but moreso throughout the mid range area is what separates them apart. The towers just seem to have a much larger presence/feel about them and fill the my room(~2800^3) with less strain or effort. I found having the dedicated mid range in the Tower helps it open up the top end even more vs. the Sierra 1's.... giving more of a pinpoint or accurate soundfield.....the 1's weren't slouchs in that department....either but the Towers are IMO a better balanced speaker, for sure...

Quote:

Does anyone know how a pair of Sierra-1 Nrt's would compare in sound quality and general overall sound to the Sierra Towers? I would expect the top end (being that they both share the same Nrt tweeter) to be equal on both. I would also assume that both of these speakers would be equally revealing, as well as having an equal sound stage and imaging characteristics, and also, I would expect that they would both provide equal detailing. I would also assume that the main differences in sound quality between the two, is in the bass responce and possibly in the mid range. Are my assumptions correct?

post #2549 of 3183 Old 05-06-2012, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Quote:

In theory, our goals for this loudspeaker were quite simple, create a compact floorstanding loudspeaker with performance that rivals and even surpasses some of the most highly regarded loudspeakers at any price. Our Sierra-1 bookshelf has proven to be a huge success and has far exceeded our expectations with regard to happy customers and positive reviews. Thousands of pairs later, there can be no doubt that our design formula works so our direction was clear – turn the Sierra-1 into a full range floorstanding loudspeaker while also improving upon every performance aspect.

A full 2 ½ years later, we are proud to formally introduce our flagship product ...

Featuring our exclusive fully custom neodymium ring magnet tweeter built for us by SEAS, the NrT provides high frequency extension to 28kHz with exceptional transient response. It provides crisp and airy highs with effortless dynamics and many layers of detail.

Our midrange driver is housed in its own dedicated critically damped sealed enclosure within the cabinet and is designed to reproduce the critical midrange response. By isolating the midrange from the rest of the drivers, intermodulation distortion is greatly reduced and detail and separation between individual instruments is greatly improved.

Our dual 5 ¼” long throw woofers handle the low end but don’t let the small size fool you, these woofers provide exceptionally tight and accurate bass reproduction well into the mid 30Hz range. Bass and mid-bass response are well balanced with surprising punch. The woofers hit hard and dig deep when required, but due to low stored energy and very low inductance levels, they can also be detailed and subtle when need be, without glossing over the subtle notes that large diameter higher mass woofers can often miss.

The above quote is a cut and paste from the Ascend website. Marketing hype can often times be misleading at best, or downright BS depending on the company. Ascend is not one of those types of companies, everything in the above quote is true, and accurate. Dave is not one given to exaggeration, he is as open, honest, and fully transparent a soul as exists in the speaker industry.

Being a three way design, with a great amount of attention bestowed upon the midrange in particular compared to the Sierras, this would be the area that most separates the two speaker lines. Also worth mentioning, with about three times the total volume, and driver area compared to the Sierras, dynamic capabilities of the Towers also exceeds the Sierras by a fair margin IMHO. Coupled with a good sub (or multiples depending on room size) providing the lowest frequencies, they do an awesome job with movie soundtracks.

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #2550 of 3183 Old 05-08-2012, 11:47 PM

fun fact, its an expensive mistake when moving speakers and setting them up to leave the sierras set to large and than watch the dark knight :/
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page