AVS Forum banner

***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread***

887K views 8K replies 769 participants last post by  Mr. Matt 
#1 ·
Now that it's out and there are owners who have them, I thought it made sense to start an "official" thread for this speaker so that owners can share their experiences and support the product.

#3 ·
I am tempted to head over on Monday. I'm not sure yet. I could always return them if I didn't like them in my room.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/0

Only a couple of people, myself included, have a pair since we were able pick them them up on Friday.

Since actual shipping starts this week, I think people will be posting soon after.

I figured as much but that it would be good to start a support thread so we can get all the comments under one roof!

#6 ·
From my post at the Ascend forum:

Based on my listening at Curtis's house last night, there is a definite difference between the speakers.

If they were photographs, the 340 would be slightly out of focus compared to the Sierras, as if there were a very fine gauze between me and the speaker.

Given my experience with the 340, this is insane since the 340s are simply excellent.

The bass on the Sierra is better, not merely because it goes lower, but it is tighter and punchier. Again, given the strengths of the 340, it was an odd experience.

I think the cabinet is making a significant difference. I noticed a significant improvement, for example, in the sound in my car when I sound deadened the doors. I think the cabinet on the Sierra has much of the same effect. I'm pretty ignorant about the tech side of sound, however.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub /forum/post/0

This is geography discrimination. I ordered mine before Curtis went over to suck up to David and got a pair to take home.

Where is Al Sharpton - my rights have been violated.

And we have better weather too.

Considering all the other advantages you have, you should be happy for us.

#10 ·
Hey...I was resigned to having mine tomorrow or Tuesday. I told Dave I would call after my son's baseball game on Friday evening just in case things got rolling sooner. Dave was still there, and had three ready(actually at least five, because another forum member arrived as I was leaving). I got lucky.

I didn't suck up....well, at least not much.

Off to see "Shrek the Third".

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno /forum/post/0

Has anyone tried to mate them to a sub? How do they work? The previous Ascends seemed to trade low end extension for tightness helping to ease the transition to a sub: is that the case with the Sierras?

mziegler and I did a bit last night.

The Sierras do not lack in tightness. In fact, I think it is tighter than the 340, along with being deeper and punchier.

#15 ·
I think the Sierras go down to 45 hz. There obviously is lower extension when we compared them directly to the 340.

Curtis had only matched the Sierras to his rear speakers. There is 3db difference between the 340 and Sierra, and he hadn't yet matched the sub. He did turn on the sub at one point, but I don't think we were listening to bass-heavy music.

Curtis will have to confirm this later.

On another note, we also listened to a regular and SACD version of the same album. The difference was pretty noticeable, on an order of the difference between the 340 and Sierra.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub /forum/post/0

It's all good - at least this way, Curtis PROBABLY won't follow through on the threat to make his mark on my Piano Black Sierra's before they ship.

I do believe he was going to moon me on the speakers - which is pretty scary ...

And he's thumbing his nose at you too...

#4,069 ·
Based on my listening, I would say the Sierras get down to at least 40hz if not a little lower. For music they sound fantastic without a sub.
My "Golden Ears" disagree strongly: They start dropping off in the vicinity of 75Hz, and the response at 40Hz is completely inadequate to reproduce "live". Try a CD of Mahler 6, last movement, with the hits on the gigantic wooden box- my Sierras absolutely can't make a decent approximation of that sound at that moment (by themselves). A frequency response curve is one thing, but a musical moment with a wide range of instruments playing all at once is ENTIRELY something else.

#25 ·
I have gotten a few PM's for a test similar to the bookshelf program we have in another thread ... this one comparing the Sierra's to the ACI Sapphire XL's.

We can do the whole level matching and instant A/B switching thing - and blind listening, too.

As with the budget bookshelf stuff, this won't be to pick a "winner", as we use a pretty wide group of listeners - but rather they give impressions.

If anyone else is interested, please let me know - including if you live close enough to Erie to participate.

#26 ·
Craig- Are Dave and Mike going to sign off on that?