Are my speakers "Large" or "Small"? - Page 14 - AVS Forum
First ... 12  13  14
Speakers > Are my speakers "Large" or "Small"?
JayceeCrumbs's Avatar JayceeCrumbs 09:18 PM 07-03-2013
Any ideas of what could cause it? Marantz NR1604. It's new. Maybe just has a few kinks to work out? If I turned it off and back on it worked again, but stopped playing sound again. I unplugged it for a while and haven't checked it yet. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

primetimeguy's Avatar primetimeguy 09:31 PM 07-03-2013
Double check all your speaker wire connections. One loose strand of wire touching the wrong terminal could cause this.
JayceeCrumbs's Avatar JayceeCrumbs 09:49 PM 07-03-2013
Thanks man. I'll check that.
JayceeCrumbs's Avatar JayceeCrumbs 02:20 AM 07-04-2013
I checked all speaker connections and some had come a little loose. I tightened them. Played music from the USB and everything seemed to work fine. Then suddenly the sound went out again. I left the USB going and went into settings to change the speaker size back to large and as soon as I did that the music came back on!

My thoughts are maybe a couple settings didn't agree such as: after setting speakers to SMALL the option for bass to come out via main+sub was still on. Wouldn't those settings contradict each other?

Another thought that might be linked to the above is: Does the ohm resistance change if speakers are set to LARGE or SMALL? I turned the speakers back to SMALL and turned OFF main+sub option for LFE. The LPF is set at 90hz - same as the crossover. These settings are working so far. Any thoughts?
dazkyl's Avatar dazkyl 05:21 AM 07-04-2013
If you have a subwoofer = Everything small + 80hz crossover.

No subwoofer = Large for fronts and small for center and rears (if your front are woofer powered)
RicardoJoa's Avatar RicardoJoa 04:21 PM 07-04-2013
Try a different source on that setting, like a cd player to see problem persist. If it does, it seems odd. There is no contradiction if you have your stuff wire properly.
JayceeCrumbs's Avatar JayceeCrumbs 05:34 AM 07-05-2013
Appreciate the tips. I think I prefer a 90hz xover for the time being.
JayceeCrumbs's Avatar JayceeCrumbs 05:43 AM 07-05-2013
Strange as it may sound, turning the main+sub option OFF has seemed to work on every source with SMALL speakers. I suspect a resistant issue or something feeding back to the amp, and maybe cutting off is a safety feature. I'm not very affluent in these things tho.
RicardoJoa's Avatar RicardoJoa 06:47 AM 07-05-2013
I dont know your particular avr, if it can lower the xover point, you may want to cross i lower to about 60-80hz. Another tip is, try to play with the distance setting on the sub, that should help get your sub integrate better with the mains, but it needs to be measured to have acurate results. But playing the distance alone will have an impact of the oveall bass.
JayceeCrumbs's Avatar JayceeCrumbs 07:32 AM 07-05-2013
Thanks. I have the Marantz NR1604 with Klipsch RF6's.. I mostly guesstimate the distances of speakers. Maybe I'll break out the measuring tape!
RicardoJoa's Avatar RicardoJoa 02:54 AM 07-06-2013
Oh, I didnt mean measuring tape, i meant using mic and software like REW. Anyway, have fun, you dont have to be all that serious to enjoy music. What ever sounds good to you thats important.
ledgema's Avatar ledgema 10:55 PM 10-18-2013
For my system I currently have all of my speakers set to small, but I'm not sure of the crossover to use. Below is the spec sheet and I've circled the speakers that I have in red.

My AVR is a Pioneer VSX-521 and the crossover settings are a little limited compared to other models or manufacturers. The minimum is 50Hz and the max is 200Hz. Other values are 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz (I think) and 150Hz. Currently I have the crossover set to 50Hz. Should the crossover be set to 80Hz instead? I have two subs, both are the EW/KW-100.
grasshoppers's Avatar grasshoppers 11:03 PM 10-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledgema View Post

For my system I currently have all of my speakers set to small, but I'm not sure of the crossover to use. Below is the spec sheet and I've circled the speakers that I have in red.

My AVR is a Pioneer VSX-521 and the crossover settings are a little limited compared to other models or manufacturers. The minimum is 50Hz and the max is 200Hz. Other values are 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz (I think) and 150Hz. Currently I have the crossover set to 50Hz. Should the crossover be set to 80Hz instead? I have two subs, both are the EW/KW-100.

I would go with 80 hz. I think 50 is a little low based on the
Charts.
ledgema's Avatar ledgema 04:45 PM 10-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

I would go with 80 hz. I think 50 is a little low based on the
Charts.

Ok, I'll give that a try.. Thank you!

I'm guessing if I had the 702e's or 703's then it would be alright to set the crossover to 50Hz. The Frequency response of the 702e is 50Hx and the 703 is 47Hz.
First ... 12  13  14

Up
Mobile  Desktop