Home Theater Direct compared to other ID brands? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-03-2007, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5 years ago I was starting my HT system with a denon receiver and some level 2 HTD speakers....was at the time in an apartment so didn't even want a sub but have since built a house and am looking to expand on the 2.0 system I currently have.

The room I am in is fairly small 10 x 13 but one whole end is open to the kitchen so it is really open as well. My couches are pushed all the way back against the back wall and we sit about 8-10' from my 61 Samsung DLP.

I am wanting to get a sub for starters and then add the two back surrounds as well as some sort of center.

I dont hear much about HTD much lately on this forum but at the time I bought my first pair they seemed to be held in good regard. I have read alot about SVU, HUS, AV123 and a few others but if changed brands I would prolly get all new speakers to keep them all the same.

So my question is who has some experience with HTD speakers and how do they stack up to the other popular ID brands out there. Price wise most of them are right about the same range.

Maybe we need to get a pair of level 2 or 3's in the current bookshelf thread carlsubs is running to find out

Any recommendations on subs as well would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

I'm interested too. I've been eyeballing the Light Cherry Level 2 bookshelves and thinking of paring them with a Middy Compact used as a center or maybe just 3 Middy's.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlyn View Post

So my question is who has some experience with HTD speakers and how do they stack up to the other popular ID brands out there. Price wise most of them are right about the same range.

Maybe we need to get a pair of level 2 or 3's in the current bookshelf thread carlsubs is running to find out

There's a few good HTD threads, here's one of the better user-reviews: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=754401

I take it you're enjoying carlsub's speaker comparisons, i personally prefer craigsub's comparison , but maybe it's just me , lol
post #4 of 7 Old 06-04-2007, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link...I did a search but the words Home Theater Direct seemed to pop up in just about every thread and I suck at narrowing down a search anyway.....I'll have to take a read through that thread.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM

I love my HTD Level 3 system. I got the Level 3 towers, center & sub, along with 8" rectangle in ceiling for the rears. I am very happy with the product and the service, especially considering the price. I admit I am not an golden ear, but I didn't really want to mess with in home listening & auditioning, so I took a chance and am happy.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-06-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know they still seem to be putting out quality product and good customer service. Forum to forum things change....here it seems to be all about AV123 but on other forums like Home Theater Spot you can hardly even find a mention of them.

I think I am going to finish off my current living room system with level 3's to match what I all ready have and then when I finish my dedicated HT room downstairs later in the year I might try out a AV123 system...unless they are backordered for 6 months anyway as I am not a patient person by nature
post #7 of 7 Old 10-28-2007, 03:23 PM

I purchased the former HTD Level 3, 5.1 system in 2003. I believe this is roughly equivalent to the current Level 2 system since they changed their product names a couple of years ago. I have it paired with an HK AVR 445 receiver, and I thought it sounded great - that is until my friend brought over his Swan Diva 6.1 towers a few weeks ago. I finally heard what speakers were supposed to sound like. The Swans were crisp, clear, and powerful, even on my HK AVR 445. I'm now in the market for new speakers. I still think HTD is a pretty good value. The Level 2 towers are $399/pair, and Level 3 are $799/pair. But the Swan Diva 6.1 towers are only $849/pair at OZ Home Theater and sound significantly better.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page