Inherited some Polk Monitor 10A's....a couple questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I recently put together a 5.1 setup (mostly for HT) with 4 BIC Venturi dv-62sib speakers, matching center, and the BIC Acoustech H100 sub. The system has been great, but I've recently inherited a pair of giant Polk Monitor 10A speakers that I plan to use as my new fronts, which has spawned a couple questions.

These are the new speakers.

1. Previously I had the fronts set to small on the receiver with a crossover around 80 I believe. I imagine I'll set the fronts to large on the receiver now (seems obvious), but what should I put the crossover to? I'm not sure how to setup speakers this huge with a separate powered sub.

2. Anyone know what the matching center is for these speakers? I googled it and couldn't figure it out. I realize that it's usually imperative to match the center to the fronts but it seems a waste to let that BIC center go to waste after I dropped around 100 bucks on it not that long ago.

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-03-2007, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
1) I have a pair of Monitor 12s still going strong since 1986. These speakers are not as efficient as newer styles of Polk or Definitive, but the frequency response is respectable. I believe that my monitor 12s have a frequence response from 40Hz to about 18kHZ? Anyhow, you can treat these as 'Large' speakers and use a crossover of 80Hz if that works for you. A somewhat lower crossover freq. may work also, you'll need to listen to your system and see where the sub and these speakers blend.

2) These speakers were probably manufactured in the 80's so they may not have a 'center' speaker as you know it. You may be able to match some other units from Polk or definitive with your 10's. I say definitive because the main man at definitive used to work for polk....designing and voicing these speakers in the 80's.

You may want to look at videogon or AVS forum sales for Def tech or Polk speaker sales.

Good luck.

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #3 of 8 Old 06-10-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So would I be better off just keeping the old BICs given that I'm mostly using them for HT?

I'll give 80Hz crossover a shot...

post #4 of 8 Old 06-10-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Do you have the 10A with the black Peerless tweeter, or the 10B with the silver Polk tweeter? Just curious. There was no center channel version, because there was no logic-derived center channel from Dolby until 1986. (Audionics of Oregon had the first derived center channel processor for consumer use in 1979, but I digress.)

These were fun speakers, with good detail, punch, and output. Run them small, though, because they don't go all that deep, and that big driver is a passive radiator. The woofers are those two smallish 6" drivers. The 4 ohm load may give today's wimpy receivers some trouble, though. Twenty years ago, receivers could handle a 4 ohm load without puking.

Nice speakers.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #5 of 8 Old 06-10-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Those were great speakers in their day. Remember them well.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #6 of 8 Old 06-10-2007, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Do you have the 10A with the black Peerless tweeter, or the 10B with the silver Polk tweeter? Just curious. There was no center channel version, because there was no logic-derived center channel from Dolby until 1986. (Audionics of Oregon had the first derived center channel processor for consumer use in 1979, but I digress.)

The Tweeter is black, so I assume it's the 10A's.

So running them small, a crossover of 80hz should still be about right, correct?

If I'm running them small anyway, and there's no "true" matching center, am I still better off with these as my fronts for HT than the BICs currently up there?

post #7 of 8 Old 06-10-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

If I'm running them small anyway, and there's no "true" matching center, am I still better off with these as my fronts for HT than the BICs currently up there?

Probably.

I guess it depends upon how much of a timbre mismatch they are and how much this bothers you.

If your receiver is 7.1-capable, you may want to use the other 2 BICs as 2 more surrounds.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #8 of 8 Old 06-10-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I'd cut them at 60hz and run them as fronts or in 2 channel mode. The Monitor10 A & B are still highly thought of by Polk fans...as siva said, try them with the Bic center or maybe look for an older Polk center that's close to a timbre match...or go with a Monitor 4, 5 or 5jr...they are quite common on CL for very reasonable prices.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page