Swan Owner's Thread - Page 119 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3541 of 3895 Old 01-24-2012, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
^^^^^ Bernie7, no pics, never happened

BTW, F2.2+ owners obviously knows what the + stands for...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3895 Old 01-24-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykyll2727 View Post

I plan on attending CES this year and I'm hoping I'll be able to see and hear these new speakers. Checking out the Swans display will be foremost on my agenda.

Mike, do you have a secret date with some F2.2's by any chance?
post #3543 of 3895 Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster-s View Post

^^^^^ Bernie7, no pics, never happened

...and I would have saved myself kilobucks while listening to sweet music emanating from nowhere as I type this
post #3544 of 3895 Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Mike, do you have a secret date with some F2.2's by any chance?

Schedule issues didn't allow me to make it to CES. Too bad as I was dying to know more about Swans new offerings. Especially the F2.2As and the, what I believe will be named, F1.6. At least that's how it was labeled on an Asian site. But I really think it'll prove to be just too much speaker for me. You can see it as well as the 2.2A here_ http://detail.zol.com.cn/picture_ind...x7090758.shtml

Most of all I would really love to know how the sound of the F2.2As compare to the F2.2s. I'm really sold on the F2.2 models. I'd just like to know more about the new version before I take the plunge. Like I discussed with you before I plan on this speaker to be my last (LOL) so I want to get the version that'll be best suited to me.
post #3545 of 3895 Old 01-24-2012, 11:23 AM

BTW here is a link that shows some closeups of the new drivers in the F2.2A. Just scroll down_ http://digi.tech.qq.com/a/20120112/000439.htm

Here's a UK site that says they have them for sale_ http://www.itemaudio.com/index.php/a...-f22a?sef=hcfp
post #3546 of 3895 Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM

^^^^ The question is: At what cost over what Chris quoted you for the original F2.2+?

If it's minimal, I say go for the new version. But I doubt that would be the case since he's already got some of the originals in stock.
post #3547 of 3895 Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 PM

Money will certainly be a consideration but long term happiness will be most important. In any case whatever I decide on I'll get them from Chris. He's been great.
post #3548 of 3895 Old 01-24-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 535
post #3549 of 3895 Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Problem is guys just because you see something on their Asian sight does not mean they will ever be released in the US, or at the very least in a timely fashion.

1. Fly to Asia
2. Buy speakers.
3. Check as baggage on the trip home.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #3550 of 3895 Old 01-25-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Problem is guys just because you see something on their Asian sight does not mean they will ever be released in the US, or at the very least in a timely fashion.

Excellent point Chris, same as car manufacturers really.
post #3551 of 3895 Old 01-25-2012, 10:15 AM

Chris_ I too agree you've made some good points which I've considered. It's the release time of the 2.2As that has me really concerned as they are listed on the U.S. site. Those links I posted back on page 117 are from the U.S. site. Have you heard anything about the release of any of the new Swans models? Not just the 2.2As but the new M series and Diva models as well?
post #3552 of 3895 Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM

So are there any reviews on the m6005. Is it even available for purchase? I see it has been mentioned a few times and the pics look great but is there any info how it sounds. Also, any pics or info on the center? I like the way the 2.2s look but they are out of the price range and I have three small kids and think they might destroy those speakers. do the three pieces just sit on top of one another?
post #3553 of 3895 Old 01-25-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red(sox)fan View Post

I have three small kids and think they might destroy those speakers. do the three pieces just sit on top of one another?

Yes, they just rest on top of each other. Each section weighs 40-45 pounds.
post #3554 of 3895 Old 01-25-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Update:

--So the F2.2A will be replacing the F2.2. There is a price increase and they will not hit the US "probably" for at least 6 months. As far as sound, hard to say as lord knows if anyone in the world has them as of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red(sox)fan View Post

So are there any reviews on the m6005. Is it even available for purchase? I see it has been mentioned a few times and the pics look great but is there any info how it sounds. Also, any pics or info on the center? I like the way the 2.2s look but they are out of the price range and I have three small kids and think they might destroy those speakers. do the three pieces just sit on top of one another?

--M6005 is not available for sale in the US yet. We do have a pair here to demo if you like though

--The F2.2 is a three piece stack able speaker......
post #3555 of 3895 Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 PM

Chris_Thanks for the update!
post #3556 of 3895 Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 AM

Chris, any chance of Hi-Vi ever having an upgrade kit available for original F2.2 owners? Probably a 15 minute job to change the drivers and faceplate.

Hey, if one doesn't ask...
post #3557 of 3895 Old 01-27-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Chris, any chance of Hi-Vi ever having an upgrade kit available for original F2.2 owners? Probably a 15 minute job to change the drivers and faceplate.

Hey, if one doesn't ask...

Nice idea, but perhaps not as simple as it might first appear. I noticed in the specs for the two models that the F2.2As middle section is listed as being slightly taller. This might well be wrong though as the info is on the new models (with the exception of the 2.8) is very limited and even then iffy at best. But there might be more to it than just changing the baffles and swapping out drivers. Because of the new drivers, in particular the 6.5" mid, there might be, and I stress might be, issues due to possible Xover changes. All just speculation.
post #3558 of 3895 Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 AM

^^^ Yep, I had the xover mod as a possible prerequisite, so I know this is a long shot for it (the mod) to be as simple as I first presented it...

Edit: Mike, looking at the Chinese web page pics from up close, the center unit certainly looks the same size as my version. The baffle has it's drivers up closer to the edges, which seems to be how they got the larger mid in there. Anyway, replacing the center enclosure couldn't be an option, the woodgrain simply wouldn't flow from one enclosure to the other like it does now.
post #3559 of 3895 Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Recently I was invited to Cleveland Plasma to check out Swan's smallest entry in their "Ultimate" line, the floor standing F2.2+. The F2.2+ features two 8" woofers, each in it's own vented enclosure, along with a 5" midrange and a ribbon tweeter per channel. The 8" woofers feature oversized voice coils, reminding me of some of the Dynaudio and Morel offerings over the years and, of course, Hi Vi's own DIY drivers. Each channel consists of two bass cabinets with a midrange/tweeter cabinet stacked in between. Very high quality binding posts allow the cabinets to be wired together, and great care needs to be taken to ensure correct polarity at each connection. There is real technical merit to giving each driver it's own enclosure; transmissions of vibrations from the woofers to the midrange cones are reduced, possibly resulting in a reduction of certain distortions.

It makes an imposing but absolutely stylish statement, with one of the most impressive finishes and eye-catching designs around. These are speakers that would look at home even in the most opulent houses.

The F2.2s were set up in a large, open room. Though not acoustically treated, the room's large space and absorptive furnishings give it a pleasing sonic signature. I positioned the drivers about 37" from the back wall and just over 4 feet from the side walls. The tweeters are only 31" from floor level, though as I found out later the F2.2's sonic characteristics work well with listening positions higher than tweeter level.

Even though Chris had the F2.2s set up for a while, they were still only in the beginning stages of break in. Most speaker's sound significantly improves with heavy use, which allows the driver suspensions to loosen up; the F2.2s are no exception. After a quick initial listen, I made a couple of significant changes in the setup and decided to help the break in process along by playing high level bass tones before the serious auditioning. It's very possible the F2.2s could improve even further with age, but after a while I felt that they were at least a good way along and were ready for review.

I played mostly lossless audio files from my computer, sent via HDMI to an Integra pre/pro, which was connected via balanced interconnects to Red Dragon Audio 1000 watt monoblock amplifiers. The pre/pro was set to Pure Audio mode, which bypasses all processing. In the day I spent with the F2.2s, I managed to get in some light jazz and a good amount of country, folk, rap, crunk, and soft to hard rock.

The first thing that impressed me about the F2.2s were their crisp, extended high frequencies. The treble sounded neutral and transparent, allowing each recording's sonic signature to shine through. The only times the F2.2s sounded scratchy or abrasive was when it was in the recording.

One of the F2.2's most magical qualities is it's ability to throw a wide, spacious soundstage. Instruments had "air" around them, and sounds frequently appeared to come from beyond the barriers of the loudspeakers. In fact, in a couple of instances, it sounded as if there were surround speakers playing behind me, even though the F2.2's were the only active speakers in the room. The soundstage width was most impressive; depth behind the speakers was also good, though it was not particularly extraordinary. Imaging was good, with instruments in their tightly defined spaces, though vocal sibilants did not always stick with the vocal body at center stage. This is not untypical for point source speakers.

I was also smitten with the F2.2's bass extension. There were four 8" woofers playing in the room, yet when I had a heavy hand on the volume control the bass shook the room. It did so in a controlled manner, with just a slightly rounded quality, but absolutely none of the dreaded one-note bass that brings down so many speakers. I heard depth and power down into the 20-30 Hz range that would seem unlikely with four 8" woofers. There was weight to the low end, and even up into the upper bass instruments had a satisfyingly meaty character. The F2.2s handled heavy rap bass impressively well, while still giving naturally recorded bass instruments appropriate weight and power.

Despite the many magical qualities of the F2.2s, I was often bothered by hardness in the upper midrange and a slightly thick lower midrange. At low volumes it was not noticeable at all, but as I approached demo levels a wide variety of vocals, from Rascal Flatts to Clair Marlo, exhibited a slightly edgy quality. I quickly found what I believe to be the source of the problem: the F2.2's bass cabinets were extremely lively in the upper midrange. Despite the woofer's transition to the midrange driver rolling off the upper frequencies of the woofers, when I put my ear up to the woofer cabinets I could easily hear the cabinet walls "sing" at a certain upper midrange frequency. As a DIY tinkerer, I couldn't help but wonder what applying some additional dampening material to the interior of the bass cabinets would do for the sound.

After several hours of listening, I set up my calibrated microphone and took some measurements, which are shown in the attached Word document.

The first graph shows the F2.2's change in response off axis. The straight red line at 0 represents the on axis response. The dispersion is fairly wide and smooth, with just a slight dip in the upper midrange/lower treble as the midrange driver crosses over to the ribbon, and the expected roll off of the tweeter above 9-10 KHz.

The second graph shows how the tonal balance changes with height. The response develops a suckout between 5-6 KHz at heights above the tweeter, but this actually compliments the speaker's balance and helps the in-room response, which is shown in the 3rd and 4th graphs.

These in room responses show nearly ideal behavior, with a slightly elevated but fairly even bass response and a gently sloping response above 1-2 KHz. These characteristics are desirable for in-room response measurements, where a perfectly flat response would sound thin and bright. As suggested by the listening, bass was strong into the mid 20's, which is great performance.

Overall I hold the F2.2s in high regard for their exceptional imaging, lifelike treble, incredible bass, dynamics, and fit 'n finish. At times bordering on magical, their performance is worthy of very high end 2 channel systems and home theaters.

Hi Vi F2.2+.zip 457.9619140625k . file
LL
LL
LL
post #3560 of 3895 Old 01-28-2012, 02:21 AM

Nice review Chad. As an owner of this speaker, I can relate to most of your findings, but not all. Of course, room interaction and equipment matching certainly differs a lot between Chris's setup and mine, so the variations in balance of sound perceptions could in part be attributed to that.

Did you have any of the ports blocked during your audition, trying several variations of this? I found my lower midrange to be considerably altered when blocking all ports on mine, bringing "things" completely back into proper balance. Just like your findings, in my own room, the upper midrange does also display a slight edginess at higher volume, even when I tried with a few different amps.

When I listen in 2CH through the DAC's of my Sony XCD-5400ES, I never feel that my sub's absence is ever missed, so yes these babies throw tremendous, controled bass. Great stuff Chad, these speakers perform way above their street price point indeed.
post #3561 of 3895 Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice review Chad. As an owner of this speaker, I can relate to most of your findings, but not all. Of course, room interaction and equipment matching certainly differs a lot between Chris's setup and mine, so the variations in balance of sound perceptions could in part be attributed to that.

Did you have any of the ports blocked during your audition, trying several variations of this? I found my lower midrange to be considerably altered when blocking all ports on mine, bringing "things" completely back into proper balance. Just like your findings, in my own room, the upper midrange does also display a slight edginess at higher volume, even when I tried with a few different amps.

When I listen in 2CH through the DAC's of my Sony XCD-5400ES, I never feel that my sub's absence is ever missed, so yes these babies throw tremendous, controled bass. Great stuff Chad, these speakers perform way above their street price point indeed.

Thank you for your comments. I did not try that, but it does sound logical in hindsight. Looking at the measurement of the port output, there is a resonant peak around 600-700 Hz, so it's very possible that blocking them would clear up that lower midrange thickness I noted.
post #3562 of 3895 Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 AM

Chad_Great review. Thanks for taking the time to do the measurements and for posting. It's very much appreciated.
post #3563 of 3895 Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:

^^^ Yep, I had the xover mod as a possible prerequisite, so I know this is a long shot for it (the mod) to be as simple as I first presented it...

Edit: Mike, looking at the Chinese web page pics from up close, the center unit certainly looks the same size as my version. The baffle has it's drivers up closer to the edges, which seems to be how they got the larger mid in there. Anyway, replacing the center enclosure couldn't be an option, the woodgrain simply wouldn't flow from one enclosure to the other like it does now.

I had a fleeting thought about simply replacing the mid sections to upgrade the F2.2 to a F2.2A but quickly realised the finish issues too.

The stated spec difference is only 10mm, less than .5" and as I said could well be wrong. I really would love to know the sound difference of the two versions though.
post #3564 of 3895 Old 01-29-2012, 03:35 AM

In my setup, the F2.2 goes cleanly and loudly down to 24hz. Below that it quickly gives up the ghost as I found playing test tones and using RTA. This is a better performance than many dedicated subwoofers. As the bass integrates seamlessly into the mids and hi's it works really well. I don't need or use subs for music or HT now.

Try playing this extremely dynamic track that needs you to crank the volume all the way up. When the thunderous bass drum down to 20hz strikes at 0dB, it's downright scary awesome and guaranteed to leave a wide grin on one's face

CD title: Musik Wie Von Einem
Track 15: The Ozone Percussion Group - Jazz Variants
post #3565 of 3895 Old 01-31-2012, 02:59 PM

I am trying to decide between the two. Can't find any reviews on the 1.1's but they are the big brother to the 2.2 with similar looks,just bigger. I currently use Legacy Audio Focus HD pushed by Mac power. The Focus are going to the new set up downstairs where they will be better positioned with a wall behind them. The upstairs where these will go is big and open. They will have a railing behind them, no wall. Will do a whole HT setup. Probably will continue to use the MAC amps on these, but will certainly consider other recommendations and can move Mac's down with the Focus. Thanks!! Greg in KC
post #3566 of 3895 Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 AM

^^^^ I think the actual dimensions of the room (not mentioned) could be a determing factor between both. The F2.2's can play without breaking a sweat in rooms 25' x 40'.
post #3567 of 3895 Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie7 View Post

In my setup, the F2.2 goes cleanly and loudly down to 24hz. Below that it quickly gives up the ghost as I found playing test tones and using RTA. This is a better performance than many dedicated subwoofers. As the bass integrates seamlessly into the mids and hi's it works really well. I don't need or use subs for music or HT now.

Try playing this extremely dynamic track that needs you to crank the volume all the way up. When the thunderous bass drum down to 20hz strikes at 0dB, it's downright scary awesome and guaranteed to leave a wide grin on one's face

CD title: Musik Wie Von Einem
Track 15: The Ozone Percussion Group - Jazz Variants

Where can I get this track from?
post #3568 of 3895 Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

Where can I get this track from?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manger-Musik...item4cfdc4496b
I saw the LP for sale on eBay from a hong kong seller. _
post #3569 of 3895 Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykyll2727 View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manger-Musik...item4cfdc4496b
I saw the LP for sale on eBay from a hong kong seller. _

Ouch..I don't have my record player with me. It is halfway across the world.

Is this available for download or can you upload just this track as a test?
post #3570 of 3895 Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

The Swan M6F is a solid but moderately sized floorstanding loudspeaker. Having just spent some time with Swan’s beautiful and flashy F2.2+, the M6F’s natural wood finish and overall design seems understated and perhaps even plain at first glance; but a closer look reveals extremely high quality, though not flashy, construction and finish. On the speaker’s back panel, two pair of very high quality binding posts facilitate bi-wiring or passive bi-amping, and the speaker’s baffle sports the same 2” midrange dome and 1x2” ribbon tweeter as used in Swan’s awe-inspiring 2.3B line source towers. The two 6” woofers and their shared bass reflex port are lined up below the midrange dome. The sensitivity is listed as 89 dB at 2.83V/1M, and frequency range is specified as 38 Hz to 20 KHz.

The M6Fs were set up in a large, open room at Cleveland Plasma, driven by Red Dragon Audio monoblocks and an Integra pre/pro in Pure Audio mode. I hooked my laptop up to the Integra via HDMI, and played a very wide variety of lossless and high bit rate audio. The drivers were approximately 3’ from the back wall and slightly over 4’ from the side walls, and the speakers were toed in toward the listening position.

At first listen, while I was appreciative of the excellent treble extension and focus, with sibilants anchored to the vocal body, I have to admit I was let down by a slightly boxy midrange, with “pocky” lower mids and forward upper mids. Soundstage width was excellent, though not as holographic as some of Swan’s much more expensive offerings. There wasn’t much sense of depth or layering behind the loudspeakers, though imaging was nicely focused. The upper bass sounded a little too rich, though low bass sounded exactly like what I would expect from two 6” woofers per channel: not quite up to the task of filling a large room with full bass. There were occasional hints of deep low frequencies, but the M6F should be paired with a good subwoofer for best performance.

I decided to try plugging the bass reflex ports with foam, changing the ported alignment to a highly damped acoustic suspension alignment. Occasionally the simplest tweaks can give important improvements in the sound, and this was one of those occasions. The midrange cleared up significantly, with the overall sonic balance becoming very clean with just a slightly forward balance. While the upper bass and lower midrange were still a bit thick, the boxiness and pockiness I noted earlier were no longer obnoxious. There was a bit less low bass, but the bass that remained was fairly tight and tuneful. Since I felt that the M6F would benefit from a subwoofer even with the ports open, trading a bit of output in the bass for the improvements noted seemed logical.

From the lower treble to the upper bit of top octave air, the M6F sounded relaxed, well balanced, and extended. The ribbon tweeter is a great design, and the dome midrange sounded clean and natural as well.

The next morning I set up my calibrated microphone and took some measurements of the M6F’s acoustical performance. Measurements are shown in the attached file.
The M6F’s horizontal dispersion is commendably wide and smooth, meaning that even if you’re seated off to the side away from the sweet spot you will still hear a good tonal balance. Vertically, the dispersion shows that if you lay on the floor, you may not hear the best the M6F has to offer; the balance is best at normal to high seating positions.
The port’s output peaks below 30 Hz, but it’s contribution extends into the upper bass and lower midrange, and there is a resonant peak around 640 Hz.
The spatially averaged in room response shows the tonal balance around the listening position. It shows the upper bass/lower midrange emphasis I expected from the auditioning, in addition to the need for subwoofer reinforcement in the low to mid bass. It also reveals an emphasis in the upper midrange, though in my listening the balance in that region sounded clean if a bit forward. The next graph shows that the emphasis is in the range of the midrange dome, and suggests that dropping the dome’s output a bit could help the perceived balance.
The final graph shows the difference made by plugging the port. The port’s reinforcement is a maximum of around 6 dB in the low bass and slowly drops between there and the upper bass. There is also a small difference around 550 Hz.
The cabinet was solid and very well damped, with no significant ringing or loud resonance with my ear pressed against the enclosure walls.

The Swan M6F is a very solidly constructed speaker with a quiet beauty and many strengths including fantastic, lifelike treble and a very clean overall sound. It’s shortcomings can be alleviated with proper room equalization such as that provided by Audyssey Pro and others. With help from a subwoofer, it can be the centerpiece of a great home theater or audio system.

Swans M6F.zip 445.2646484375k . file
Reply Speakers

Tags
Oppo Dv 981hd Universal Dvd Player With Hdmi 1080p Up Converting Divx Sacd , Samsung Lns4096d 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 981hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page