Swan Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally spoke to someone from Swan today... Basically said Dealer needs to sort it out and not them. Also claimed there is no stock to replace it.

If anybody is interested, I will be driving on the Masschusetts Turnpike today throwing the rest of my money out the window. Stop by if you need some.

------------------------------------------------------
BinaryLinguist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLinguist View Post

Finally spoke to someone from Swan today... Basically said Dealer needs to sort it out and not them. Also claimed there is no stock to replace it.

If anybody is interested, I will be driving on the Masschusetts Turnpike today throwing the rest of my money out the window. Stop by if you need some.

I've debated whether or not to reply publicly; maybe I should. Let me take this opportunity to offer some thoughts:

1. In reading these comments and corresponding a bit by phone and email, I think this is a case of internal damage where the shipper dropped the speaker hard enough to either fracture something in the speaker cabinet or, more likely, broke lose a crossover component or board. First course of action is therefore a shipper damage claim.

2. Swan US deals with Diva far less than we do at TAI. I'm not surprised to hear of their response. They're also correct about responsibility -- it starts with the shipper and dealer, even as it would had Swan US or TAI made the shipment.

3. TAI is not in this loop, but if needs be, we'll stand by to make this right. I have 40' of Diva on the water and I have a pair of mint demo 5.2's left from our recent sale. Let me offer our services, whether repair or replacement, as a back-stop.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #363 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 12:01 PM

Liked: 11
Jon Lane, Please send BinaryLinguist the pair of 5.2 tower demos, and send me the bill.

Let's get him back into music, and you and I can handle going after the shipper.
post #364 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post

I've debated whether or not to reply publicly; maybe I should. Let me take this opportunity to offer some thoughts:

1. In reading these comments and corresponding a bit by phone and email, I think this is a case of internal damage where the shipper dropped the speaker hard enough to either fracture something in the speaker cabinet or, more likely, broke lose a crossover component or board. First course of action is therefore a shipper damage claim.

2. Swan US deals with Diva far less than we do at TAI. I'm not surprised to hear of their response. They're also correct about responsibility -- it starts with the shipper and dealer, even as it would had Swan US or TAI made the shipment.

3. TAI is not in this loop, but if needs be, we'll stand by to make this right. I have 40' of Diva on the water and I have a pair of mint demo 5.2's left from our recent sale. Let me offer our services, whether repair or replacement, as a back-stop.

Jon,

Thanks for the response and correspondence up to this point. You continue to be a stand up guy.

I would love to buy your demo 5.2s. The issue at this point is a refund from the Dealer. I am waiting on a return e-mail from the Dealer with an update but I am not hopeful. I mentioned sending everything back for a full refund and he balked. Then said if he did accept, it would cost me to pay for the return shipping and refund his costs for the original shipping of $150. So $300+ and he wants reimbursed for the Insured Trackable cost.

BinaryLinguist
post #365 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Jon Lane, Please send BinaryLinguist the pair of 5.2 tower demos, and send me the bill.

Let's get him back into music, and you and I can handle going after the shipper.

Craig,

An amazing offer, and I am at a loss for words. But, I have done nothing to deserve your generosity. I could not accept.

BinaryLinguist
post #366 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLinguist View Post

Craig,

An amazing offer, and I am at a loss for words. But, I have done nothing to deserve your generosity. I could not accept.

This is nothing more than shifting some $$$$ ... The shipping claim will get paid. It will just take a few weeks, which is keeping you from having your music for which you paid.

Doing this in open forum is probably not the best venue, but dealing with these guys usually requires some ... effort.
post #367 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pending approval from BinaryLinguist, my great pleasure. (And I'm impressed perhaps only second to him, craigsub. Very, very nice.)

BinaryLinguist? We're all in this together, as the man once said. You know how to reach me by email as well.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #368 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Was there signs of heavy damage on the outer packaging itself?

I wonder what the cause is. Crossover components (as well as the board) can't just come loose due to a slight drop. Components are soldered and the board should be screwed securely into the cabinet.
post #369 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

Was there signs of heavy damage on the outer packaging itself?

I wonder what the cause is. Crossover components (as well as the board) can't just come loose due to a slight drop. Components are soldered and the board should be screwed securely into the cabinet.

In our experience over the years, OWR, we've seen some very odd things happen. TAI moves thousands of parcels and we've seen some "impossible" situations occur, including entire tops torn off boxes and zero product damage occurring on one hand (credit the delivery driver) and immense damage occurring to product in intact cartons on the other.

On rare occasion, that eighty-pound speaker makes a huge wallop hitting the ground from four feet, even if both cartons, all eight external, between-carton end-caps, both internal shell-caps, and about thirty square feet of two-inch Styro board don't show the signs of a "flat" impact.

Swan moves well into nine figures in product a year and they have a fair idea how to make stuff that endures. But faced with the open road, craziness sometimes ensues anyway.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #370 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 02:08 PM

Jon Lane & craigsub; Undoubtedly the most generous ofoffers I have had the pleasure to see on ANY open forum...If I had not read the generous offers myself firsthand I would have cried foul...Very stand up thing to do...Speaks volumes (no pun intended) of TAI as a company and craigsub as a person...Well done! My hat is off to both gentleman...
post #371 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Wow...that is indeed a very generous offer from craigsub. I have seen craig's charitable contributions on raffles on the av123 forums, but this is in a different league entirely.

As for Jon Lane, I have enjoyed doing business with him and he is staying true to form as far as customer service is concerned.
post #372 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Its a bit unfortunate the company was so unwilling to help in any way. This company really has no idea what kind of customer service it takes to do business online. You simply cannot treat your customers like that (unless you are offering just super deals and customers expect that kind of service).
But to simply put a customer off like that with they type of attitude that says, sorry man not my speaker.. not my problem.

When i bought my conquest i had some difficulty getting it running and i posted the issue online. Within 10 minutes i had the owner of the company on the phone helping me getting it running. After doing some tests i diagnosed that the sub had no problems but that the reciever was the issue and told him i'd figure it out.. Even then he continued to give me suggestions and we eventually got it resolved (basically i had to reset the reciever because even though i had the sub out turned on it wouldnt output to the sub, must have been some kind of glitch)

Perhaps the company is broke or whatever and they just can't afford to either send you some replacement speakers.. I doubt that is the case though. I'm betting they are just being cheap a$$es.
I think sometimes store owners forget who pays their bills (not jon though, he did great with my sales, no problems there)
post #373 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 03:19 PM

You guys are making my speaker choice easier...Jon I talked with you earlier today and you've earned my business.

Now just to choose between the three options. For an apartment, in a living room, ears that really like my Adam p11a NFMs (ribbon tweeters), it is down to the Swan 4.1 system that is on sale, a set of Dana 630s (with a 650 center), or A3/A2/A1 acculine. I'll likely run a Hsu sub (don't need or want a ton of bass). One thing I like about the Swans that is the dipole surrounds as they will get stuffed on top of a bookcase on either side of the couch. But I'd rather pay for sound than looks, and I'm thinking that the Acculine tweeter is going to be sonically fairly close to the Adam which images better than anything I've every heard (yes, even my old NS-10Ms).

No spousal factor here (divorce can be a good thing) and I appreciate open highs and real mids. Will have an Onkyo SR605 driving things. Thoughts?
post #374 of 3895 Old 11-09-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Unbelievable! Hats off too you, and to Jon Lane as well. Very nice!
post #375 of 3895 Old 11-10-2007, 08:20 AM

As a former Swans Baton owner, I am seriously Thinking about the 4.1 TAI deal. Last week a had a chance to listen to a pair of Swans 2.1s at a friends house and really liked those. I'm thinking the 4.1s may be similar with more bass extension. Very hard for me to buy without hearing.

Only other thing that i'm wondering about is the R2 surround speakers. They may would work well for a DD soundtrack, but what about SACD listening? Would my friends 2.1s would be a better surround setup? He is replacing them in the next couple weeks and I would be able to get them reasonable.

How to Audition the 4.1s? Would they sound similar to the 4.2s that I can hear locally?
post #376 of 3895 Old 11-10-2007, 09:18 AM

Why would he be replacing the 2.1's???
post #377 of 3895 Old 11-10-2007, 09:19 AM

A few years ago I bought a pair of Infinity Alpha 50 towers from Crutchfield, when they came to me, I heard something rattling in the cabinet, and eventually pulled out a piece of internal bracing. While there little obvious damage to the box, and certainly no visible damage to the speaker its self. It must have come loose during shipping, I couldn't figure anything else out. Luckily Crutfchfield was GREAT about dealing with it (I mean, they even send you pre-paid return shipping labels from the start in case you are not happy) and I sent the speakers back without paying a cent for them.

I guess my point is, strange things can happen during shipping, its just a matter of who you have in your corner when something does go wrong.
post #378 of 3895 Old 11-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post

As a former Swans Baton owner, I am seriously Thinking about the 4.1 TAI deal. Last week a had a chance to listen to a pair of Swans 2.1s at a friends house and really liked those. I'm thinking the 4.1s may be similar with more bass extension. Very hard for me to buy without hearing.

Only other thing that i'm wondering about is the R2 surround speakers. They may would work well for a DD soundtrack, but what about SACD listening? Would my friends 2.1s would be a better surround setup? He is replacing them in the next couple weeks and I would be able to get them reasonable.

How to Audition the 4.1s? Would they sound similar to the 4.2s that I can hear locally?

I have the Swan 4.1s which I use as the rears in my 5.1 system. While they do a great job in my HT system, very often I move them and use them in a 2-channel system. THey are a very musical speaker, good bass extension, and clear and airy highs. I find that I am doing this more often these days now that I have an emotiva lpa1. While my Onkyo 804 did a decent job with them, I think the extra headroom that the lpa1 gives makes them sound so much better. I am actually thinking of using some other speakers for rears and moving the 4.1s permanently to a separate room for 2-channel listening.

I think you will like them if you do choose to buy them.
post #379 of 3895 Old 11-10-2007, 06:22 PM

Just to share my experience. I received my Swan Diva 5.2, C3 and R3 from Jon Lane at the Audio Insider 3 or 4 weeks ago. Have had them set up a week or so and have been listening to music to break-in while setting up the rest of the home theater. Got the Outlaw sub and HD-DVD hooked up today. Carada screen is up but projector hasn't arrived yet. Back to the Swans - in trying to calibrate the sub fired up TMNT on the HDDVD. Wife and son came downstairs, had it cranked up pretty good. Wife sat down and a few minutes later said this sounds better than the movie theater. But the real approval was from my 3 year old son who was just sitting on the floor grinning from ear-to-ear. Thanks AVS it looks like it will be worth all the effort
post #380 of 3895 Old 11-10-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Why would he be replacing the 2.1's???

He wants something larger with more bass extension.
post #381 of 3895 Old 11-13-2007, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tz4689 View Post

Just to share my experience. I received my Swan Diva 5.2, C3 and R3 from....

Congrats! And Welcome to AVS. (though you have probably been lurking for a while)
post #382 of 3895 Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 PM

Quick question for Jon or 4.2c owners. I noticed on the TAI page the dimensions in inches don't match the dimensions in MM. I also saw a review that lists the height of the speaker at 7.6 inches. Can anyone confirm the actual dimensions? I can fit 7.6" but the 10" listed on the TAI site won't work. Any help appreciated!

Also if anyone has a comparison of the 4.2c to the 2c I'd appreciate any insight. I scanned the thread but didnt see anything and failed to find anything in search. I'll be using for HT mostly as I usually just do 2.1 for music right now. Thanks in advance!
post #383 of 3895 Old 11-14-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdork View Post

I noticed on the TAI page the dimensions in inches don't match the dimensions in MM.

Good call! Webmaster will correct the typo today to 532 x 300 x 179mm which is, naturally, about 21 x 11.8 x 7in.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #384 of 3895 Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 PM

Thanks Jon! That's good news. I was ready to pull the trigger on the center but have decided to buy everything at once and will wait until next year to do so. Hopefully you'll have some compelling specials around then as well!!
post #385 of 3895 Old 11-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

So i was playing some music through my swans 5.2 C center channel speaker today and comparing to my swans 4.1 towers.
The single 5.2C had more hard hitting, chest thumping bass than both the 4.1's together and it was very articulate as well.. Very nice center channel. Makes me want to upgrade my mains, however they aren't bad at all (very capable and articulate, just not quite as loud).

I can't wait until i move so i can put it in a good position. Currently its not directly in front but to the side on top of my huge epik conquest subwoofer. When I move i'll get the 5.2R's hooked up also and finally will be able to listen to movie soundtracks (and multichannel audio) they way they were meant to sound.. Eventually i may get two more speakers in a 7.1 config but that will have to wait, i'm all out of $$$$
post #386 of 3895 Old 11-15-2007, 01:23 PM

So after some back and forth, last Friday Swan agreed to send me a new 5.2 that they "found" and the Dealer filed a claim for the damaged 5.2. Upon successful testing this past Tuesday, Swan would send out the new 5.2. As a result, I did not need to take advantage of Craig's generosity.

Since Tuesday at 5 PM, Swan has not returned any of 4 e-mails and 1 voice mail. The Dealer has said it is no longer his responsibility since he filed a claim (and received the speaker already) and Swan agreed to send a replacement. UPS has just confirmed that nothing has been shipped to me. The fact that I cannot get in touch with Swan concerns me greatly.

Anybody have some suggestions? I could try to sell the working single 5.2F that I have along with the 4.2C but not many people (if any) will buy an incomplete set... What a disaster...

I hate to moan in a public forum, but I am really shocked at what I am experiencing. I only post this info because I know how this has made me fell and I would hate to see it happen to anybody else. Nobody should have to go through this. I'll stop my complaining now.

The Swans look and sound great from what little I've heard. Just make sure you deal with Jon.

BinaryLinguist
post #387 of 3895 Old 11-15-2007, 03:35 PM

Sorry to hear about your trouble, I hope it all works out. I have to agree with you, Swans ARE great speakers, but I think you should only deal with T.A.I. or with Ozhometheater. I've bought from both, and have had no problems. Good luck!
post #388 of 3895 Old 11-15-2007, 07:39 PM

I have had my Swans for almost 2 years now and am still amazed everytime I crank them up. I laugh to myself when someone tells me I need to go see a movie in the theater and not wait for DVD. I haven't been to a theater yet that can rival these. The ribbon tweeters are crystal. They have been well worth the money.

I have the F1HT Center and Towers and the F2HT Rears

post #389 of 3895 Old 11-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, thats an amazing home theater you've got there. Congrats.
post #390 of 3895 Old 11-16-2007, 08:56 AM

Agreed with above. Swan's are top notch speakers BUT it's Jon Lane's customer service at TAI that really made my purchase a no brainer for me. I'll always recommend Swans WITH TAI.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Oppo Dv 981hd Universal Dvd Player With Hdmi 1080p Up Converting Divx Sacd , Samsung Lns4096d 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 981hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page