Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by usp1 View Post

einsteinjb,

Can you compare the Dana 980s with the 5.2f?

Nope, not yet. The 980s aren't available yet. Problem is, I would LOVE to compare them side by side, but that won't be possible either. I need to sell the 5.2Fs to help pay for the 980s, and I definitely don't have room here for two sets of tower speakers in my room.

I do have the Dana 930 standmount speakers though, so I could give you some thoughts on those compared to the 5.2Fs. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to do a real back-and-forth comparison... My room is about 11' square and full of recording gear and my futon so it's a tight space. I had to take the 5.2Fs out of the room completely to set the Danas up on stands.

But I did use the 5.2Fs in here for a year or so before replacing them with the Danas so I will be happy to give some thoughts. I'll be writing a full (amateur) review of the 930s soon both here and on the TAI site. Haven't done so yet mainly because the 930s really aren't available for purchase through the site yet so it would be a bit premature.

I love the 5.2Fs. I'm going to be very sad to see them go... I would keep them packed up for a future system if I had a choice. They're big, beautiful speakers with a big, beautiful sound. They really deserve a bigger room than mine, but even in this tiny space they sounded fantastic. Very natural, great top and bottom extension with silky, natural, wonderful mids and excellent imaging. Big soundstage, tight and punchy with or without a sub... Can't say enough about them, seriously. Yes I've heard better tower speakers, but not for $1000 or less. (This is not to say no better speakers could exist for that price; I just haven't heard any.) I got to compare them to my buddy's B&W DM604 s3s when I first got them, and while the B&Ws (which sold at the time for $1200 - $1400/pair street price) had a tighter, slightly deeper bottom end, we both preferred the mids and highs of the 5.2Fs, which is saying something because the B&Ws were no slouch in those areas.

Now the 930s... It's actually difficult to figure out what to say about them because they just do so many things right, it's hard to pick out something to mention in particular. I will say I was almost shocked to learn that speakers this size could produce sound that is not only so right, clear, natural, smooth, etc., but that is so big and deep. They sound like a much bigger pair of speakers, and will play much louder without distortion than their size suggests. Their bottom end shocked me too. They play deep and clean, tight as you could wish, and definitely don't require a sub for 2-channel listening. That's not to say a good sub filling in the bottom couple of octaves doesn't make them even better, sure it does. But take away the sub and play them full-range, and I believe most people won't find them lacking at all. Fire these up with a decent amp (I'm using an Emotiva LPA-1) and it only takes a few seconds to realize you're experiencing truly outstanding speakers.

I decided to keep the 930s as my mains and sell the 5.2Fs because much as I love my 5.2s, the Danas are just better. Everything that the 5.2s do really well, the 930s do even better, and in a smaller space. The 5.2s do extend deeper on the bottom of course due to their much bigger cabinet size and dual midwoofers, and pushed to extremes I'm sure the 5.2s will go louder without distortion than the 930s -- but either set produces way more than enough clean dBs for me in my small room. As for the bottom I cross to my SVS sub at 70 Hz and both sets play flat to way below that so that eliminates any advantage or disadvantage on the bottom end. Both are also fantastic for home theater (I'm still using my 5.2C as my center channel and loving it).

I'll say this -- if you never have the chance to compare the 5.2s to the Danas, you'd never miss the extra refinement and performance of the Danas and would most likely be ecstatically happy with the 5.2s for both music and movies (I was). But now that I've had the 930s here, I'm hooked on the Dana sound. I once had a Jeep Cherokee that I really liked. Loved everything about it, really fun vehicle. But for some reason I kept eyeballing Grand Cherokees everywhere I went. It was like well, I love my Cherokee so I'd probably REALLY love a Grand Cherokee -- it's MORE Cherokee, more of what I love! That's why I'm getting the 980s. Do I need them? Definitely not. The 930s are the perfect speakers for me in this room. But the 980s are MORE Dana, more of the sound I love so much, so since I'll have the chance to own them, I'm getting them. Stupid audiophile sickness I have, but I'm sure many of you can relate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3905 Old 11-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks einsteinjb. I have the 5.1s and 4.1s right now and love them both. Your review of course makes me want to listen to the Danas now.
post #453 of 3905 Old 11-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Liked: 11
EJ / floridapoolboy / usp1 -

What are you 3 using for the processing? A reciever or have you all gone the route of using all seperates?
post #454 of 3905 Old 11-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

I am using a onkyo 804. The current deal at emotiva for an lmc1 for 379 is very tempting though!
post #455 of 3905 Old 11-26-2007, 01:52 PM

I'm using a Pioneer 1015 as a pre-pro, along with an Emotiva LPA-1. Adding the amp really opened things up, lot's of dynamics now!
post #456 of 3905 Old 11-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am using a onkyo 804. The current deal at emotiva for an lmc1 for 379 is very tempting though!

I LOVE my Emotiva stuff but keep in mind the LMC-1 is quite basic feature-wise, and has no real HDMI inputs. It does come with an external 2-1 HDMI switcher, but that's really only for switching between 2 HDMI video sources so you don't have to do it manually or on your display. It doesn't allow you to use HDMI audio inputs. I'll be keeping my LMC-1 for a while, at least until I find an incredible deal on a new quality pre-pro with real integrated HDMI. I'd really love it if Emotiva came out with a newer version of the LMC-1 with HDMI integration. I don't want to use a receiver as a pre-pro mainly because of space limitations and I don't want the extra heat generated by most receivers (and of course I don't want to pay for amps I won't be using).

As for the LPA-1, I can't say enough. WOW. It's just stupid that an amp this good can be had this cheap.
post #457 of 3905 Old 11-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

einstein - I agree with your comment about the lmc-1 since that is what has been keeping me from buying it.

tysonmax - going the receiver route for a pre-pro will generally give you the most feature rich solution. Also when you do upgrade the old equipment can be used in a different room without requiring another amp. A lot depends on which features are important to you.
post #458 of 3905 Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:

einstein - I agree with your comment about the lmc-1 since that is what has been keeping me from buying it.

tysonmax - going the receiver route for a pre-pro will generally give you the most feature rich solution. Also when you do upgrade the old equipment can be used in a different room without requiring another amp. A lot depends on which features are important to you.

BINGO!
Thats the reason I'm holding off buying something like the LMC-1. With the sale on the LPA-1 right now, I think I will be pulling the trigger on that soon and just keep my Pioneer vsx816 for now and wait for a good deal down the road.
post #459 of 3905 Old 11-27-2007, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How would you guys say the 6.1 compares with the PSB T65??? What about the Rocket lines from Onix? Or the Paradigm 9's?

I've listened extensively to my buddies T45's from PSB. They were lacking substantially on the low end. But what I did like was the tight controlled nature of the sound. What bass the speakers did produce was pretty accurate. My chief concern with the 6.1 is that the 8 inch drivers will make them sound bottom heavy and inaccurate.

I'm also considering the Rocket RS450 (but I"ll have to pull the trigger on those immediately) as my mains. Thoughts from you swan owners?
post #460 of 3905 Old 11-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

I compared the paradigm 9s with my swan 5.1s head to head and found the 5.1s to be better overall - more clarity and better controlled bass. The 6.1s are supposed to be more musical than the 5.1s so I presume they will sound even better.
post #461 of 3905 Old 11-27-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I compared the paradigm 9s with my swan 5.1s head to head and found the 5.1s to be better overall - more clarity and better controlled bass. The 6.1s are supposed to be more musical than the 5.1s so I presume they will sound even better.

Well music is the primary use for these. 75/25 music/ht
post #462 of 3905 Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

How would you guys say the 6.1 compares with the PSB T65??? What about the Rocket lines from Onix? Or the Paradigm 9's?

I've listened extensively to my buddies T45's from PSB. They were lacking substantially on the low end. But what I did like was the tight controlled nature of the sound. What bass the speakers did produce was pretty accurate. My chief concern with the 6.1 is that the 8 inch drivers will make them sound bottom heavy and inaccurate.

I'm also considering the Rocket RS450 (but I"ll have to pull the trigger on those immediately) as my mains. Thoughts from you swan owners?

I haven't listened to the PSB's, but I will tell you that the 6.1 Divas sound phenominal in 2 channel stereo. Just the other day I flipped on DirecTV's XM radio stations (Jazz, House/Techno, and even some Xmas music) I was floored at how crystal clear the mids and hi's were. Coming from my old Infinity Primus line it was truly a noticeable difference. At very loud levels there was no distortion or degredation of SQ. I can honestly say I will NOT be upgrading my setup for a long long time.

And I won't even get into how these excel in HT...
post #463 of 3905 Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post

I haven't listened to the PSB's, but I will tell you that the 6.1 Divas sound phenominal in 2 channel stereo. Just the other day I flipped on DirecTV's XM radio stations (Jazz, House/Techno, and even some Xmas music) I was floored at how crystal clear the mids and hi's were. Coming from my old Infinity Primus line it was truly a noticeable difference. At very loud levels there was no distortion or degredation of SQ. I can honestly say I will NOT be upgrading my setup for a long long time.

And I won't even get into how these excel in HT...

How accurate is the bass? Seeing how they've got two 8's I worry about the accuracy and control that the drivers have over those big cones. I could be worrying for nothing, but not being able to hear them has me wondering.
post #464 of 3905 Old 11-27-2007, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know the RMS power rating on the 6.1s?
post #465 of 3905 Old 11-27-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb View Post

Nope, not yet. The 980s aren't available yet. Problem is, I would LOVE to compare them side by side...

I'll say this -- if you never have the chance to compare the 5.2s to the Danas, you'd never miss the extra refinement and performance of the Danas and would most likely be ecstatically happy with the 5.2s for both music and movies (I was). But now that I've had the 930s here, I'm hooked on the Dana sound. ... But the 980s are MORE Dana, more of the sound I love so much, so since I'll have the chance to own them, I'm getting them. Stupid audiophile sickness I have, but I'm sure many of you can relate.

einsteinjb,

You nailed everything on the head with that entire post (even though I didn't quote everything). Nicely put. I also wanted to hear the 980s for myself, and had an open order for them for about 6 months! Unfortunately, TAI has been unable to supply them. I envy your ability to hear the 930s as I am mightily impressed with the 630s! If anyone else reading this wants a SUPERB small bookcase speaker that is really low priced and high value --- The 630s are it.

And as you describe the Swans (I've been listening to the 5.2fs for sometime now) you are right on. They are fantastic. The Dana's have just a wee bit more detail and refinement - that is intoxicating the more you listen. But the Swans are clear and clean and everything you want for an incredible price - plus they look great to boot.

Anyway, reading your post, I had to follow up and say BINGO!

----

On amps... I wound up finding an Arcam 300 as a open box purchase for less than the Emotiva deal at the time (which I nearly pulled the trigger on) and it is fantastic. I'm sure the Emotivas are also great. I compared the Arcam to an older but higher wattage (not necessarily more amps) Yamaha - 130w per channel and the Yamaha and Arcam were not really significantly different - but the Arcam was more "effortless". That means that it can handle more thrown its way - especially more speakers - and low ohm speakers! (Lots of stuff on Zone 2 anyone :-) The Arcam also does its own decoding with real high quality results.

Cheers!
-jason
post #466 of 3905 Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Jason,

Cool to hear you feel the same way I do about the Swans and Danas. And it's really cool to hear you feel the same way when you've only heard the 630s and not the 930s. I'll have to check out a set of 630s when I get the opportunity. For the price they're currently selling for they're an incredible bargain. At $1600/pair you would expect the 930s to be outstanding. I'll probably end up getting a set of 630s for the rear someday when I get the chance to move my system into a bigger room and move to 7.1.

As for the 980s, Jon told me recently he expects he might have some shipping as early as December, but no firm date and I'm waiting for his "Improved" version anyway. I'm scratching my head wondering how the heck he thinks he's going to improve on the sound I already have from the 930s but hey, he's the man so if he thinks he can do it, more power to him. I can't afford the 980s anyway (though that never stopped me before! ) so I need to sell my beloved 5.2s first anyway before I can order them. I'll be very sorry to see them go and if there was any possible way I'd hold onto them, but sadly, such is not the case.

Arcam does have a great rep so I'm sure that piece sounds great. We're lucky, we have a lot of good affordable choices in audio and HT these days.
post #467 of 3905 Old 11-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

parkerj and ejb - You guys are increasing my upgradeitis! Love my Swans but all these superlatives about the Danas is making me want to just go out and buy them.
Must control....must control.......
post #468 of 3905 Old 11-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Lol sorry usp1. Hey I love my Swans too, they're great speakers. Just keep telling yourself no matter how much you spend, there's always something better you could have spent more on. If you get the Danas, you'll LOVE them... Then you'll just come back here and read about Dali Helicons or Euphonias, or the top of the line Revels, or Jim Salk's Veracitys... It never ends. Be happy. (Or do what I do -- buy what you want even though you don't need it and can't afford it, and suffer the consequences later. )
post #469 of 3905 Old 11-28-2007, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

I think there is some kind of family connection to speakers. I notice in myself, and in others on these forums, that when a new/improved product from the same family is announced or is available, one feels the pangs of upgradeitis much more. Thus, I am driven to distraction when I hear about a better TAI product then when I hear about Helicons or Veracities. I see similar things happen to Ascend owners, AV123 owners and so on. I suppose it can be explained by brand loyalty. In any case, I should drop Jon Lane a note and ask him to keep an eye on B-stock availability on some of these models....
post #470 of 3905 Old 11-28-2007, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb View Post

As for the 980s, Jon told me recently he expects he might have some shipping as early as December, but no firm date and I'm waiting for his "Improved" version anyway. I'm scratching my head wondering how the heck he thinks he's going to improve on the sound I already have from the 930s but hey, he's the man so if he thinks he can do it, more power to him. I can't afford the 980s anyway (though that never stopped me before! ) so I need to sell my beloved 5.2s first anyway before I can order them.

It's really hard for us not to splll the beans...

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #471 of 3905 Old 11-28-2007, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think there is some kind of family connection to speakers. I notice in myself, and in others on these forums, that when a new/improved product from the same family is announced or is available, one feels the pangs of upgradeitis much more. Thus, I am driven to distraction when I hear about a better TAI product then when I hear about Helicons or Veracities.

(I cringe to say it, but pursuant this, we may be about to complicate your life concerning the Swans D series. Watch this space just after CES in early Jan...)

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #472 of 3905 Old 11-28-2007, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Jon,

Aaaaargh, you arent going to make this easy are you..... How will I ever figure out what my next move up is going to be if you have so many wonderful things in the pipeline and no way for me to hear any of them. Hmmmm..... a pilgrimage to Reno is the only hope.
post #473 of 3905 Old 11-28-2007, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerj View Post

You nailed everything on the head with that entire post (even though I didn't quote everything). Nicely put. I also wanted to hear the 980s for myself, and had an open order for them for about 6 months! Unfortunately, TAI has been unable to supply them. I envy your ability to hear the 930s as I am mightily impressed with the 630s! If anyone else reading this wants a SUPERB small bookcase speaker that is really low priced and high value --- The 630s are it.

Jason, dear friend, I want to deliver a pair myself the day I have them on-hand again. I feel bad about this, but we simply couldn't keep the first run in stock.

Please let us make it all up to you ASAP.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #474 of 3905 Old 11-28-2007, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmmm..... a pilgrimage to Reno is the only hope.

Yes! Currently setting up a local salon here (and we're exploring a good-sized local event...with some unique local flavor added, shall we say. Lots of nice venues here to take advantage of, and the regional proximity may make for a nice West Coast event. More as these themes develop.)

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #475 of 3905 Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Jon,
It would be really great if you could setup a properly treated, well proportioned listening room with only two pairs of speakers. When someone is flying into the area (Las Vegas!!!) they could request ahead of time which pair or two they were wanting to hear, making purchasing the preferred speaker a bit easier. How would they sound differently in the home? It does not matter. Most just want to feel they made a good decision, where comparing the two preferred choices live adds the comfort level they wanted to achieve. As a bonus, you would get to meet many of the AVS'rs who end up buying your products.
post #476 of 3905 Old 11-28-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post

Yes! Currently setting up a local salon here (and we're exploring a good-sized local event...with some unique local flavor added, shall we say. Lots of nice venues here to take advantage of, and the regional proximity may make for a nice West Coast event. More as these themes develop.)

I'm in for a roadtrip to Reno early next year....I would love to have the opportunity to audition a bunch of TAI stuff. I'll bring my ears, a big car, and some cash!
post #477 of 3905 Old 11-28-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riblet View Post

Jon,
It would be really great if you could setup a properly treated, well proportioned listening room with only two pairs of speakers. When someone is flying into the area (Las Vegas!!!) they could request ahead of time which pair or two they were wanting to hear, making purchasing the preferred speaker a bit easier. How would they sound differently in the home? It does not matter. Most just want to feel they made a good decision, where comparing the two preferred choices live adds the comfort level they wanted to achieve. As a bonus, you would get to meet many of the AVS'rs who end up buying your products.

What would you guys say to a nine-line Reno event in a luxury hotel circa March 2008? Lots of new models and maybe a drawing for some autographed free models (hey, speakers, that is) courtesy of a notable rocker I happen to know?

Two days, U-fly, we feed, discounted rooms arranged at said location.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #478 of 3905 Old 11-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Jon,

That sounds like a great plan. I am sure you will have a lot of takers for that.
post #479 of 3905 Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 PM

Please make it 1st of March or last. Big wedding on the 15th. I've been wanting to listen to
Swan and Dana line.
post #480 of 3905 Old 11-28-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post

What would you guys say to a nine-line Reno event in a luxury hotel circa March 2008? Lots of new models and maybe a drawing for some autographed free models (hey, speakers, that is) courtesy of a notable rocker I happen to know?

Two days, U-fly, we feed, discounted rooms arranged at said location.

Sounds fantastic. More notice is better on dates...I'd hate to miss all that speaker goodness.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Oppo Dv 981hd Universal Dvd Player With Hdmi 1080p Up Converting Divx Sacd , Samsung Lns4096d 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 981hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page