Which Connectors Best? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-13-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all-

I'm a total newbie, I just got the Yamaha rx-v2700 receiver and the Klipsch Synergy III B-2 Speakers, but finding connecting them a bit over my head, am not dying to go out buy wire and start splicing. Can anybody recommend an idiot proof wire with connectors built in? I'd rather just plug something in than go and get an electrical degree. the speakers look like they have the standard 5 way binding post, but the Yamaha looks slightly different.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-13-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
its cheaper to do it yourself you can order the cable from blujeans and the banana plugs
the wire can be had in black and red it will match the color of most posts some will tell
you to use bare wire which is ok but with the bananas you will eliminate shorting a speaker
wire if done neatly.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-13-2007, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineinone View Post

hi all-

I'm a total newbie, I just got the Yamaha rx-v2700 receiver and the Klipsch Synergy III B-2 Speakers, but finding connecting them a bit over my head, am not dying to go out buy wire and start splicing. Can anybody recommend an idiot proof wire with connectors built in? I'd rather just plug something in than go and get an electrical degree. the speakers look like they have the standard 5 way binding post, but the Yamaha looks slightly different.

thanks!

You could go with screw type banana jacks or solder type banana jacks

These will allow you to simply plug/unplug your speaker connections.

I did the solder type which guarantees that you aren't going to have to occasionally check/tighten them. It may even be worth it to see if a local electronics repair shop will charge you a few bucks to solder them. Worth every penny IMO. I'd offer if you were in the Ann Arbor, MI area.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The only tools you need are a wire stripper and crimp tool. Something like a 4-way wire stipper actually combines both.

The connector parts might be spade or banana plugs. You can get very basic ones at Radio Shack or a local hardware store. Of course you can get very fancy $$$ ones - why not start off simple?

For a spade connection, remove enough speaker wire jacket/cover with the wire stripper, fit the exposed metal wire through the spade sleeve, and crimp it down, hard. Pull on the crimped spade to make sure it's not loose.

I'd also go for zip cord or thick budget speaker wire while you're at it

- Steve O.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page