Is 6.1 Enought Or Should I Go 7.1?? - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Look, I don't really have a dog in this fight so to speak, or, you could say that I actually have three of them in it covering all sides, as I have 5, 6, and 7 speaker surround systems.

7.1 is not night and day dramatically better than 6.1, and I damned for sure have never noticed the "reversal" theory.

Do you guys really think you will get that "reversal" from rear center speakers such as these for example:

http://www.revelspeakers.com/product...view.asp?ID=22

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/home_...product_id=182

The Revel actually has speaker wire input for both sides with a jumper (just like bi-ampable/bi-wireable towers) which can be removed, and a single rear S12 can actually be used as both rear speakers in a 7.1 set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Many people. The kinds of people who are unknowing enough to go for a 6.1 array in the first place.

I guess that includes all (or at least most) of the engineers at companies like NAD, Cambridge Audio, Vincent Audio, etc. who make 6.1 AVRs, and companies like Boston Acoustics who made a speaker specifically for rear 6.1 systems.
post #93 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 12:28 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark russ View Post

Look in the owner's manuals of virtually ANY AVR/pre-pro and/or speaker, and you will find that virtually all of them recommend it, NAD, Cambridge Audio, NHT, Revel, Boston Acoustics, etc., etc., etc. In fact, I challenge you to find me even 5 companies that actually make components that advise against using it 6.1.

What do you think the brands who make 6 channel AVRs or power amps have to say about it, don't use and buy this product because you will experience a reversal phenomenon?

No they most certainly do not. The major pioneers of surround sound have never advocated for 6.1 speaker arrays.

This really is a quite pointless thread, we have like 2 or 3 naysayers with their hands clasped across their eyes and ears screaming "I don't believe the science of auditory localization" and "I don't hear the effect in my system therefore it can't happen." On the other side we have decades of history with surround sound systems and an even longer history of studies of human auditory localization. Sanjay deserves a great deal of credit for spending time actually bothering to discuss this issue.
post #94 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:

I guess that includes all (or at least most) of the engineers at companies like NAD, Cambridge Audio, Vincent Audio, etc. who make 6.1 AVRs, and companies like Boston Acoustics who made a speaker specifically for rear 6.1 systems.

NO, but they don't advocate actually using a 6.1 array. I've used 6.1 processors myself, but never with a 6.1 array of speakers. 7.1 array has ALWAYS been the recommendation, you will NEVER find a Dolby diagram or ITU diagram using a single rear speaker on-axis behind the listening position, because it is a notoriously difficult direction for our brain to localize properly. Instead, it is better to have a speaker slightly off-axis, but then you have an asymmetrical array, thus using two speakers to the rear.
post #95 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Look, I don't really have a dog in this fight so to speak, or, you could say that I actually have three of them in it covering all sides, as I have 5, 6, and 7 speaker surround systems.

7.1 is not night and day dramatically better than 6.1, and I damned for sure have never noticed the "reversal" theory.

Do you guys really think you will get that "reversal" from rear center speakers such as these for example:

http://www.revelspeakers.com/product...view.asp?ID=22

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/home_...product_id=182

The Revel actually has speaker wire input for both sides with a jumper (just like bi-ampable/bi-wireable towers) which can be removed, and a single rear S12 can actually be used as both rear speakers in a 7.1 set up.

Those are bipole speakers which disperse sound out a great deal and whose purpose is to minimize localization and increase ambiance. As such, you don't have a point source on-axis behind your head. As such, you are likely able to localize that kind of speaker properly behhind you even if it were on-axis.

It seems that you are not listening or following this thread very closely, because those qualifiers have been stated repeatedly, and apparently ignored by yourself.
post #96 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

THX's current Ultra2 spec contradicts their own recommendation from a couple of years ago.

The do you realize that you have just admitted that previous held stances, by the very same parties nonetheless, can and will change over time?
post #97 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Those are bipole speakers which disperse sound out a great deal and whose purpose is to minimize localization and increase ambiance. As such, you don't have a point source on-axis behind your head. As such, you are likely able to localize that kind of speaker properly behhind you even if it were on-axis.

It seems that you are not listening or following this thread very closely, because those qualifiers have been stated repeatedly, and apparently ignored by yourself.

Funny, but I thought that was the whole main point of the argument against 6.1 layouts in the first place, but, in your very own words:

Quote:

It sounds to me like you have just ran up the white flag without even realizing it.
post #98 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 12:43 PM

Hey John, what do you think these boys would say about a 6.2 (or even better yet, a 6.6) surround system with Xds?
post #99 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 12:55 PM

Look, I think we can all agree that this guy has it right:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=796992

;-)
post #100 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey John, what do you think these boys would say about a 6.2 (or even better yet, a 6.6) surround system with Xds?

I guess, contrary to my auditioning, that it sucks

BTW, I'm not a proponent of 6.1 OVER 7.1 as much as pointing out that there's nothing wrong with it.

John
post #101 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:

NO, but they don't advocate actually using a 6.1 array.

I almost missed these.

So you are you saying that, with the CA Azur 540R AVR,

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets...sersManual.pdf

for example, they are actually advocating to NOT use the 6th amplifier channel and 6.1 processing modes they put in it, and only to stick with 5.1?
post #102 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 12:58 PM

I'm glad to see this thread has grown so childish. Exactly what I would expect to see from audio professionals: uninformed and immature conjecture to the contrary of basic established auditory science.

edit: I also see that a certain user has some serious problems with english comprehension. How many more times do I have to distinguish the difference between processing capabilities and the playback array?
post #103 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

I guess, contrary to my auditioning, that it sucks

BTW, I'm not a proponent of 6.1 OVER 7.1 as much as pointing out that there's nothing wrong with it.

Really?

Quote:

6.1 has more precise steering. You should know that already. It mimics how we perceive sound, just like the PL circuit does for the center. 7.1 is doing something else.

Quote:

I've found such arrays to be less distinct, less precise, less involving. My point with 7.1 is that it is improperly derived. Sides should be derived, not the backs. You don't properly derive two extra channels from two existing ones. You derive them from four. Otherwise, you're just throwing stuff around for the most part.

Quote:

Sanjay, do you understand why 6.1 processing is more accurate and precise than 7.1? That, to me, overrides concerns about the theoretical reversals I've never experienced.

Quote:

7.1 as a processing algorithm is more flawed, IMO, than 6.1 processing and I'd rather have ideally setup 6.1 than an ideally setup 7.1.

post #104 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpa View Post

So, if I have this correct Sanjay, you have only "read" about it.

You don't have it correct. I have experienced it, and not just with surround set-ups. Science backs up what I've heard and explains why I heard it. Your experience has to be accepted on faith, since you have zero (absolutely nothing) to support your claims.

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #105 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The do you realize that you have just admitted that previous held stances, by the very same parties nonetheless, can and will change over time?

Of course. Why, do you have anything to show that research on the reversal phenomenon has been overturned? If so, point it out. If not, what's your point?

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #106 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:

I'm glad to see this thread has grown so childish. Exactly what I would expect to see from audio professionals: uninformed and immature conjecture to the contrary of basic established auditory science.

edit: I also see that a certain user has some serious problems with english comprehension. How many more times do I have to distinguish the difference between processing capabilities and the playback array?

And I see that one has some serious trouble comprehending that the processing capability IS the playback array on that specific AVR which was used as an example for the question (a question which, BTW, was very conveniently avoided entirely).
post #107 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Of course. Why, do you have anything to show that research on the reversal phenomenon has been overturned? If so, point it out. If not, what's your point?

Sanjay

And do you have any to show that bigfoot and/or Nessy don't actually exist? If so, point it out. If not, what's your point?

See, we are right back to square one once again.
post #108 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

And do you have any to show that bigfoot and/or Nessy don't actually exist? If so, point it out. If not, what's your point?

See, we are right back to square one once again.

So lets get this straight, you are equating the studies and experiences on the reversal issue to studies done on the Loch Ness Monster and Big Foot, and that is your claim as to why it doesn't exist?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #109 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Much like the "evidence" which you have produced has under actual listener experiences?

No. Those "actual listener experiences" are nothing more than you saying that you didn't hear it; completely anecdotal. The references I posted are well researched, peer reviewed, published for scrutiny and repeated by other scientists for verification.

Your whole argument hinges on the belief that reversals can't exist if you haven't heard them. Reality doesn't need validation from your senses in order to exist.

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #110 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Really?

7.1 is more surrounding and more spacious. However, if I were going for precise, accurate performance, especially for a couple of people, I'd do 6.1. And there are rooms where 6.1 will work better than 7.1 and vice versa.

John
post #111 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Your whole argument hinges on the belief that reversals can't exist if you haven't heard them. Reality doesn't need validation from your senses in order to exist.

Under what exact conditions were they created? With speakers? What speakers? Human voice? Random sounds? Anechoic chamber? What acoustics?

I can't repeat a front/rear reversal. How do I do it?

John
post #112 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Many people. The kinds of people who are unknowing enough to go for a 6.1 array in the first place.

I'm talking specifically a narrow dispersion speaker. It would have to be pretty narrow, however, to create this reversal, IMO.
Quote:

REGARDLESS of whether or not there is 7.1 processing, EVEN in a 6.1 only system, a 7.1 array is preferred for the reasons Sanjay has already explained quite well, and is covered in the literature.

I disagree. It's better to have 6.1 played on 6.1 speakers, properly setup (which most people don't do). If you can't, well, maybe 7.1. But if you setup 6.1 on 7.1 speakers, then you wouldn't necessarily want to put the surround speakers beside you either.
Quote:

You think you could, but you can't. They have never advocated using a 6.1 array. It's always been a 7.1 array, even in a 6.1 environment, and it's to prevent the reversal effect from becoming a concern.

You seem to think everyone believed in front/rear reversals from the beginning. Revisionist history. Lexicon pushed it when just about everyone else was, in fact, recommending 6.1 speakers.

John
post #113 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:

Under what exact conditions were they created? With speakers? What speakers? Human voice? Random sounds? Anechoic chamber? What acoustics?

I can't repeat a front/rear reversal. How do I do it?

Perceptual recalibration in human sound localization: Learning to remediate front-back reversals
It's not the entire article; just the abstract, but you can get the idea. Also, it's recent, July 2006.

Here is an interesting discussion with Tomlinson Holman about multi-channel speaker placement. The subject of front-back reversal is discussed.

ADSP is a company used by NASA to evaluate "spatial auditory displays for high-stress human interfaces". They are trying to reduce front-back reversal and other spatial errors in these interfaces.

In his book, "3-D Audio Using Loudespeakers", William Gardner documents the front-back, (and back-front) reversal phenomenon using human subjects with headphones and loudspeakers.

I found all these by doing a Google search. My point is that front-back reversal is a well-known and well-documented phenomenon. However, it's actual impact in a Home Theater environment is less well understood.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #114 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So, it sounds like it happens to people who aren't very good processors of audio data, aka poor listeners! And to people who are listening in anechoic chambers and don't ever move their head. Oh well....

John
post #115 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Personal experience doesn't back up claims? The invitation to come prove me wrong isnt good enough?
Now, not only am I superhuman, I also must have beamed to a different planet than you Sanjay, because on my planet, what I see, and what I hear, is what I believe to be true. And I think also that the sky is blue, but that could only be because I was told it was blue at an early age, who knows? There must be science that proves that wrong as well somewhere, that it really isnt blue, but that is how we percieve it to be, which is just fine with me, because you wont change my mind on that either.
post #116 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Audio miscues happen all the time in stereo and surround systems, but only front/back reversals seem to cause any alarm for some reason. For instance, I hear a guy playing two triangles on a customer's speakers. One comes from 15 degrees to the left of center. The other sounds like it's coming almost from the left of me. That is a miscue. People just need to pay attention to their *actual* room and *actual* setup and stop worrying about theory and what "might" happen under "some" conditions "sometime".

John
post #117 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Here is an interesting discussion with Tomlinson Holman about multi-channel speaker placement. The subject of front-back reversal is discussed.

Craig

Quoted from article above " Reversal issues are a major reason why home 7.1 speaker setups recommended by THX, Dolby, and DTS all utilize dual rear speakers for their matrix-extracted mono rear channel. (Manufacturers of surround processors with proprietary decoding such as Lexicon and Meridian also utilize 7.1 speaker setups ".

Seems to me someone said something very close to this on page 1 or 2, .....and 3.....and 4......

Thanks Craig, now we can all go back to actually watching movies It was fun and interesting while it lasted though....

Tosh 62hm196-1080P

62" 1080P = Just like being there - Now experiencing TV for the first time
post #118 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't recall DTS ever recommending 7.1 for 6.1 material, or even Dolby, at least in the beginning.

John
post #119 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpa View Post

Personal experience doesn't back up claims?

If it did, there would be no need for things like blind testing, third-party verification, controlled experiments, peer review, independent repeatability, etc. We'd simply be accepting what people said on faith. Can't hear a 20kHz tone? Then personal experience backs up the claim that sound must not exist at that frequency.
Quote:
...you wont change my mind on that either.

Who's trying to change your mind? About anything. Again, it's not all about you.

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #120 of 385 Old 06-22-2007, 10:06 PM

See I told you, a complete waiste...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version