Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #361 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyone View Post

I think I just bought the WRONG center speaker. I just sold my C2 center and PM 200's and replaced them with the PM 1000 L/R and the PM 1000 center. Should I have paid the extra $ and purchased the PM 2000 center? Here is the layout of my room:

The TV is on the Easter/Right hand wall in the living room with BPX's where the X's are and the PM 800 siting on the mantle facing the TV.

The speaker will eventually be wall mounted below my tv, but for the time being it will sit on the stand below.

Should I use the keyhole mounts or the optional mounts for the L/R speakers?

it looks like you have the room for the 2000, the 2000 has a better sound, fuller than the 1000 sounded to me and the larger drivers will complement the PM1000 better. Spend the money if you can aford it now so you won't kick yourself later like i've been doing.

Audyssey setup guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid71 View Post

I'm still a little iffy about the crossover settings since (to my limited knowledge) the Onkyo doesn't have "small" or "large" settings. At least I have a decent starting point with lots of people sharing their advice. I can't say how much I appreciate the help the fine owners here have shared. I'm sure more questions will come.
Skid

I have the Onkyo 705 and you can set the speakers to small or large. Go into the speakers settings.

I have my speakers set to "4 ohm" with my BP10s at "full", PC1000 crossover at "100Hz" and my PM800s crossover at "90Hz".
post #363 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 09:28 AM

Liked: 10
I am having trouble finding the PM2000 center. I am going to test the PM 1000 (from ABT) and then decided if I want to upgrade.

One of main motivators for "upgrading" my speakers was size, as my wife and I are tired of having our living room look like Speaker City. I am hoping the 1000 can live up to my old C2 Center.
post #364 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am having trouble finding the PM2000 center. I am going to test the PM 1000 (from ABT) and then decided if I want to upgrade.

One of main motivators for "upgrading" my speakers was size, as my wife and I are tired of having our living room look like Speaker City. I am hoping the 1000 can live up to my old C2 Center.

pm me and we can talk offline, i can give you my contact he'll save you about ~20% or more. I understand about the WAF, i wanted a sub that would sit out in the room with a nice custom finish, that was shot down so fast. I got my sub, and it sits behind the TV, my wife loves the Deftechs but would still like not to see them...

Audyssey setup guide
post #365 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 04:49 PM

ok heres my story i ordered def tech 600s + receiver onlyo 605... got them about an hour ago.excited all iwas. opened it up ..and there are no wires for hooking the speakers... my first time ht purchase and had no idea abotu it...so ignorant am i... please let me know what kind of wires i need ..its a small room..not big at all... what are the specs etc.... quick quick quick.. icant wait
post #366 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anything 16 gauge will do, though I prefer 14. The lower the number the thicker the wire, the better, keep that in mind. Take a look at this table as a reference:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

And don't fall for the MonsterCable crap, just go to Fry's or any store and buy cheap copper speaker wire, stranded that looks decent. The gauge is more important. You will not be able to tell the difference between MonsterCable and generic at the same gauge.
post #367 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 07:11 PM

ok dracula... i went to BB bought a **** load of stuff.. eg roll of speaker wire .. and some banana plugs... infact just 2... i was thinking ust the wire can be rolled into the reciever..but gosh i was wrong... how the hell the reciever needsto be hooked up???banana plugs or someother alternative..those things are damn expensive too..2 pair 15 buks...
also for subwoofer i bought a subwoofer wire which is like friggin 50 bucks... is that the wire that needs to be used??? please help
post #368 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

I have the Onkyo 705 and you can set the speakers to small or large. Go into the speakers settings.

I have my speakers set to "4 ohm" with my BP10s at "full", PC1000 crossover at "100Hz" and my PM800s crossover at "90Hz".

I'm guessing with the 350's for fronts I should go with the small setting? No problems with the 705 and using the 4 ohm setting?

Thanks Art
Skid

BOTJ Member... Onk 705 FW 1.06
post #369 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrock_121 View Post

ok dracula... i went to BB bought a **** load of stuff.. eg roll of speaker wire .. and some banana plugs... infact just 2... i was thinking ust the wire can be rolled into the reciever..but gosh i was wrong... how the hell the reciever needsto be hooked up???banana plugs or someother alternative..those things are damn expensive too..2 pair 15 buks...
also for subwoofer i bought a subwoofer wire which is like friggin 50 bucks... is that the wire that needs to be used??? please help

Hardrock - I hope you haven't opened that $50 sub wire! You certainly don't need anything more than a standard video or speaker cable with standard rca jacks. You should return that ASAP! You did good to get the banana plugs as they are very nice but not needed in the long run. Like others have said here, the cheaper stuff should do fine.
post #370 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 09:32 PM

ok dannyji now u totally lost me.. sorry but i m totally confused now...being a noob to this world...
so u are saying...a standard rca...jack should be connected to??? if somebody has a piture or how to do pic plz post it..right now..i m using the 16 guage with banana plugs on the recivr and simply hooking it into the know on the speaker..... its taking too damn long and effort and i m not happy...
post #371 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ok dannyji now u totally lost me.. sorry but i m totally confused now...being a noob to this world...
so u are saying...a standard rca...jack should be connected to??? if somebody has a piture or how to do pic plz post it..right now..i m using the 16 guage with banana plugs on the recivr and simply hooking it into the know on the speaker..... its taking too damn long and effort and i m not happy...

Hardrock,
I know you're so ready to go with this thing. If you slow down at least a little bit you'll save time in the long run. At times a rushed job can mean headaches down the road. Just a wee bit of patience friend. Not trying to be condescending, just want you to get it done right the first time. Danny is right, in no way use that 50 buck sub cable. Use a standard RCA jack to connect the sub to the receiver.
Damn I wished you would have visited monoprice before your gear arrived.

Best of luck mang. Let us know how it goes when you got it done.

Skid

post #372 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 10:20 PM

oh dude skid...all this rush just to hear something rightaway tonite...by no means i m going to keep this stuff..ie the cables... these stupid hdmi cables+sub cables itself costed me more than 100.... im definitely going to return them.... all of them ..except the 16 awg speaker cable which unfortunately is wasted.... i ll need to do all the work again once i get black speaker cable.. right now it looks hideous with copper colored wire...all over my living room...and rightly so my wifes upset....
the only thing that really put me off was the lack of cables.. i always read ppl talking of cables here but thought thats just upgrades from what u get inbox...but i was wrong..i had to run twice to get the wires then the banana plugs...anyways coming to the point...
if you or anyone can give me links in monoprice for the sub cable and the other stuff needed (if not banana plugs) and the speaker wire i ll really appreciate it... i ll start looking into it tomorow morning..no more patience tonite..
post #373 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

oh dude skid...all this rush just to hear something rightaway tonite...by no means i m going to keep this stuff..ie the cables... these stupid hdmi cables+sub cables itself costed me more than 100.... im definitely going to return them.... all of them ..except the 16 awg speaker cable which unfortunately is wasted.... i ll need to do all the work again once i get black speaker cable.. right now it looks hideous with copper colored wire...all over my living room...and rightly so my wifes upset....
the only thing that really put me off was the lack of cables.. i always read ppl talking of cables here but thought thats just upgrades from what u get inbox...but i was wrong..i had to run twice to get the wires then the banana plugs...anyways coming to the point...
if you or anyone can give me links in monoprice for the sub cable and the other stuff needed (if not banana plugs) and the speaker wire i ll really appreciate it... i ll start looking into it tomorow morning..no more patience tonite..

Banana plugs http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Sub cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Monoprice is pretty easy to navigate. Great quality, even better price. HDMI cables such a great deal. When it comes to cables, they have all you need. Well, I think they do, they have all I need. although some of the cables I need are ~ not in stock right now~

ps - folks like blue jeans cables as well, I haven't purchased anything from them, but they are a forum sponsor.

Hope all goes well.
Skid

post #374 of 7364 Old 12-07-2007, 11:03 PM

thanks skid... i was precisely looking at the same things... unfirtunately the sub cable isnt in stock .. will try amazon..thanks again...
btw even at monoprice i m unable to fnd any black cables...for speakers..these copper wires look hideous...and i dont want anythink like that in my living room...what are the alternatives?
post #375 of 7364 Old 12-08-2007, 01:10 AM

Here's a link for some flat white cables: http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/A...m-p-16751.html

The only other color you might find would be black - what's your preference?

You don't need a special sub woofer cable - just dig up any old cable that you'd use to hook up a vcr, dvd player or whatever and go with that. You just need 1 of those, not a red and white pair or triplet set with the yellow one. Just peel one of those off the others to make a single wire cable.
post #376 of 7364 Old 12-08-2007, 04:52 AM

Quote:

thanks skid... i was precisely looking at the same things... unfirtunately the sub cable isnt in stock .. will try amazon..thanks again...
btw even at monoprice i m unable to fnd any black cables...for speakers..these copper wires look hideous...and i dont want anythink like that in my living room...what are the alternatives?

Please tell me you are kidding about the speaker wire. Speaker wire can easily be hidden behind dry wall or with a paintable conduit
post #377 of 7364 Old 12-08-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Please tell me you are kidding about the speaker wire. Speaker wire can easily be hidden behind dry wall or with a paintable conduit

oh dude.... im in an apartment so cant really dig up the dry walls... so basicallyi m running this thing all around my living room.... hope u get the picture..

and this really stands out since its acopper color... and guess what.. i exhausted the wire before i could hook up my rear left....:P so basically i have 4.1 now.. with 1 at the back.. have to run to bb or microcenter or wait a week to get the wire ... :P
post #378 of 7364 Old 12-08-2007, 03:29 PM

just to confirm ..this cable should be good enough for subwoofer right..? (procinema 600)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

plz respond!
post #379 of 7364 Old 12-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

just to confirm ..this cable should be good enough for subwoofer right..? (procinema 600)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

plz respond!

Yep, as dannyjl posted before, if you don't have rca cables around the apartment, that cable will work for your sub.

Good luck,
Skid

post #380 of 7364 Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 PM

thanks skid.. i was finally able to find a rca cable lying around... but only concern is its very thin... the sub works tho....no issues yet... and i ordered some banana plugs from monoprice along with hdmi cable...
thanks again skid n danny..currently in the process of tweaking the system..
mr room is accoustically challenged...so audessy messed up the configs i think ...every channel was set to 150hz and lpf of lfe was 100hz...

trying out diff settings to see which one works best ...
tho one thing i noticed is a annoying humm.... any idea whats that about?
post #381 of 7364 Old 12-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks skid.. i was finally able to find a rca cable lying around... but only concern is its very thin... the sub works tho....no issues yet... and i ordered some banana plugs from monoprice along with hdmi cable...
thanks again skid n danny..currently in the process of tweaking the system..
mr room is accoustically challenged...so audessy messed up the configs i think ...every channel was set to 150hz and lpf of lfe was 100hz...

trying out diff settings to see which one works best ...
tho one thing i noticed is a annoying humm.... any idea whats that about?

Hardrock,
Just spitballing here. I would go to the thread of your sub. What is it? I recall possibly... ProSub800?

possibilities:
1 ground loop issue
2 make sure to crank the crossover setting on the sub all the way, let your receiver do the crossover
3 see if removing the coax cable (the one that sends your cable/sat signal) has any effect on the hum ~obviously you would have to be listening to a different source than cable/sat
4 possibly non-shielded rca cable

I would certainly try going into the subs thread and searching "hum" you'll get lots of hits, but also lots of info. I'll bet you can track down the source of that hum problem.

Best of luck
Skid

edit: I'm assuming it's the sub with the hum, not the speakers

post #382 of 7364 Old 12-09-2007, 12:05 AM

thanks for the response skid... reg the sub its the one that comes with the 600 series so its prosub600. i ll try to search for the therad and info on hum from there...
reg the options you mentioned...
1. no idea.. more info plz..
2. i can crank up the crossover on sub and chk the rcvr and post later..
3.so u are saying if the coax is connected to the cable box and cable box to the rcvr...it will still create the hum???
4. rca cable( assuming the cable from lfe out of rcvr(onkyo 605) to lfe in on sub) is pretty thin.. thinner than the one i was using earlier bought from bestbuy for 50 bucks...(replaced with one found lying around...) any obvs indicators if its a non shielded or shielded??
post #383 of 7364 Old 12-09-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid71 View Post

I'm guessing with the 350's for fronts I should go with the small setting? No problems with the 705 and using the 4 ohm setting?

Thanks Art
Skid

I use the 4 ohm setting with my 705, but I also use a external amp for my fronts. For you setup I see no problem using 4 ohm.

Since the 350's are full range speakers you can use either large or small, if I remeber right you have a sub so you may want to use the small setting, you can try both ways and pick the setting that sounds the best with you setup.
post #384 of 7364 Old 12-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

I use the 4 ohm setting with my 705, but I also use a external amp for my fronts. For you setup I see no problem using 4 ohm.

Since the 350's are full range speakers you can use either large or small, if I remeber right you have a sub so you may want to use the small setting, you can try both ways and pick the setting that sounds the best with you setup.

Artslinger,
Will do. Yes on the sub, getting the SVS PB10-NSD. I'll try the 350's both small and large and see what I like better. Now I just have to actually get the gear.

Thanks,
Skid

post #385 of 7364 Old 12-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks for the response skid... reg the sub its the one that comes with the 600 series so its prosub600. i ll try to search for the therad and info on hum from there...
reg the options you mentioned...
1. no idea.. more info plz..
go to the sub threads and search for the term ground loop (and/or) hum. You'll get lots of good troubleshooting help.

2. i can crank up the crossover on sub and chk the rcvr and post later..

3.so u are saying if the coax is connected to the cable box and cable box to the rcvr...it will still create the hum???
Possibly yes. That is why I suggested removing the coax. From the wall to the cable box. Unattach from the cable box while still listening to another source (dvd for example) and see if you're still getting the hum

4. rca cable( assuming the cable from lfe out of rcvr(onkyo 605) to lfe in on sub) is pretty thin.. thinner than the one i was using earlier bought from bestbuy for 50 bucks...(replaced with one found lying around...) any obvs indicators if its a non shielded or shielded??

It *shouldn't* make a difference but you are at a point where you will/may have to troubleshoot many different possibilities. Try the easiest to check first.

Good luck,
Skid

post #386 of 7364 Old 12-09-2007, 05:27 PM

hey skid.. one question... what is the idealsetting for the speaker config..
what freq should i use for front, surround and center? ideally highs should be front and lows surround??? audessey dint set it properly somehow. the sound was muffled..and equalizer set was sounding bad... after setting it back to off it was sounding a little crisp.. but still i feel the sound is not very fuller and can hear something missing..any suggestions?

FYI this is some dowloaded compressed content is divx and xvid... possible that the original source was not compressed properly.. :/

Also tried to watch batman returns(DVD) yesterday and experience was anything but fantastic... its not fuller to any extent..what am i missing..
FYI i have lpf on lfe as 80 (which i assume is same as the crossover on sub) and frq for front is 120, center 150 and surround 120.. ( downed all of them from 150 audessey set ) the distance calculated by audessey was 12 ft front+center+sub 4 feet surround

any suggestions
post #387 of 7364 Old 12-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

hey skid.. one question... what is the idealsetting for the speaker config..
what freq should i use for front, surround and center? ideally highs should be front and lows surround??? audessey dint set it properly somehow. the sound was muffled..and equalizer set was sounding bad... after setting it back to off it was sounding a little crisp.. but still i feel the sound is not very fuller and can hear something missing..any suggestions?

FYI this is some dowloaded compressed content is divx and xvid... possible that the original source was not compressed properly.. :/

Also tried to watch batman returns(DVD) yesterday and experience was anything but fantastic... its not fuller to any extent..what am i missing..
FYI i have lpf on lfe as 80 (which i assume is same as the crossover on sub) and frq for front is 120, center 150 and surround 120.. ( downed all of them from 150 audessey set ) the distance calculated by audessey was 12 ft front+center+sub 4 feet surround

any suggestions

Hardrock,
Goto the receivers area and find the FAQ/Owners thread for the 705. The very fist post of that thread has a very extensive FAQ. VERY GOOD information on Audyssey, setting up speakers, all the info you could want. It's a must read. I know you don't have a 705, but the speaker setup section is exactly what you're looking for. Great explanation and description of what to do. Really, go read it now!

Hope this helps.
Skid

post #388 of 7364 Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM

Hey Guys,

Does anyone use Omnimount 10s for their PM 1000s? I ordered these per some earlier threads but the speakers feel pretty heavy to me. I'm not sure if I should have purchased the 20s. I could not find the speaker weight on the DT website.

Thanks,
Robert
post #389 of 7364 Old 12-11-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSII View Post

Hey Guys,

Does anyone use Omnimount 10s for their PM 1000s? I ordered these per some earlier threads but the speakers feel pretty heavy to me. I'm not sure if I should have purchased the 20s. I could not find the speaker weight on the DT website.

Thanks,
Robert

I had them and returned them as they did tighten very well. This was for the lighter 800 as well. I just bought the ProMounts from Magnolia for my 1000's (should be here any minute now) and I will let you know how they do.
post #390 of 7364 Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I had them and returned them as they did tighten very well. This was for the lighter 800 as well. I just bought the ProMounts from Magnolia for my 1000's (should be here any minute now) and I will let you know how they do.

I am using the promounts for all of the PM 1000 and PC 2000. Though just like other mounts, the nut needs to be more than just hand tightened. I used channel locks to aim first and tighten further.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Procinema 600 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology Procinema 1000 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page