Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread - Page 194 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #5791 of 7342 Old 12-28-2011, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac7504 View Post

What's a fare price to list a year old Pro Cinema 800 setup, well, minus the sub..

4 - Promonitors
1 - Pro center 1000

Anyone?

Is $550 asking too much for a procin 800 package? Minus the sub? if it were you, would you pay that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 7342 Old 12-28-2011, 08:21 PM
VKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKR View Post

After much reading on this site I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the following:

Denon AVR-1912
Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000
ProMonitor 1000 (2 fronts)

I will try and locate the BP 1.2x or 2x bipolar speakers for the surrounds given my living room is open to a kitchen area of similar size (13' x 17' living room opening to an additional 13' x 19' kitchen, TV is on the 13' living room wall).

Please confirm this is an acceptqable set up.
Also, is it ok to place the bipoplars on the side wall at the back end of the listening living room?

Past/old posts mention that ABT is an authorized dealer and is willing to offer some discounts on system purchases, is that still true?

My ceilings are only 8' high, what HSU subwoofer model is recomended? I am interested in using the system for 65% TV/movie and 35% music.

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated !

I'm going to attach a few images of my room as Plex requested. The place is a bit post Christmas, and given the mess I won't be telling the wife I posted these. The room isn't the best for movie viewing given the sofa location etc., but it's what I am working with. I'm hoping to squeeze a ProCenter 2000 under the TV, and the FL and FR ProMonitor 1000's on the shelves somewhere? Possibly, I locate one BP 2x above the light switch behind the tree and the other just before the kitchen table bump out area. Both of these would be mounted below the wallpaper border. Any thoughts on this?

A few questions:

Where do you find the BP 2x's ? They seem to be discontinued

Given the WAF, I was hoping to sneak a sub under an end table, but I have an 18" height restriction. The HSU subs are a bit tall. Given the images and sizes I originally posted above; let me know of any additional sub suggestions. Two subs are probably out of the question (for now).

Will this set up give me pretty good music playback? What combination of these speakers would be used for playing music only?

Thanks for helping me out on this issue.
LL
LL
LL
post #5793 of 7342 Old 12-28-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Given the room realities, I would go with the PC800 surrounds and a PC1000 center. Easy for the surrounds to be set up and maintain the WAF. The center will fit under the Flat panel nicely and it is a great speaker. I am using a nice SV Sub with the system. It IS the end table..

EricN
"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike"

HT: Denon 4311CI, Denon DVD-5900, M&K S-150's LCR & ss-150's SL & SR, SVS PB12+, Oppo-BDP-83, Sony Cineza LCD, Stewart StudioTek 130 92"

2 Ch: MacMini,W4S DAC2 DSDse,VPI Scout 1.1&Dynavector 10X5,Cary SLI-80&Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures II's

post #5794 of 7342 Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 PM
VKR

Longbow, so do you feel the ProMonitor 1000's are a bit of an overkill given the room sizes I posted ? I appreciate any additional thoughts or comments you may have in regard to my options.

Vince
post #5795 of 7342 Old 12-30-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Longbow, so do you feel the ProMonitor 1000's are a bit of an overkill given the room sizes I posted ? I appreciate any additional thoughts or comments you may have in regard to my options.

Vince

Vince

I do like the Pro monitors. If you have shelf space or wall space for them, you will be thrilled. I have been very satisfied with my PC 800 surrounds (4 of them) and the PC 1000 center in a room similar in size to your. It also has an open area behind the rear speakers. I am using a 94" Stewart StudioTek 130 with my Epson projector as well as an SVsound PB12-2 subwoofer rather than the PC800 sub. For my room the WAF was important and I was not disappointed with the PC800 compromise. We have enjoyed them for several years of family movie nights.

Full system is:

DefTech PC800 surrounds (1 pair L/R, 1 pair rear surrounds)
DefTech PC1000 center channel
SVsound PB-12+ Subwoofer
Epson 1080 projector
Denon AVR-3808CI Receiver
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray
Apple TV

We just put in a new bulb in the Epson and have been enjoying some new Christmas Blu-Ray's.

You'll be happy either way. No down side to this decision...

Enjoy

EricN
"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike"

HT: Denon 4311CI, Denon DVD-5900, M&K S-150's LCR & ss-150's SL & SR, SVS PB12+, Oppo-BDP-83, Sony Cineza LCD, Stewart StudioTek 130 92"

2 Ch: MacMini,W4S DAC2 DSDse,VPI Scout 1.1&Dynavector 10X5,Cary SLI-80&Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures II's

post #5796 of 7342 Old 12-30-2011, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm going to attach a few images of my room as Plex requested. The place is a bit post Christmas, and given the mess I won't be telling the wife I posted these. The room isn't the best for movie viewing given the sofa location etc., but it's what I am working with. I'm hoping to squeeze a ProCenter 2000 under the TV, and the FL and FR ProMonitor 1000's on the shelves somewhere? Possibly, I locate one BP 2x above the light switch behind the tree and the other just before the kitchen table bump out area. Both of these would be mounted below the wallpaper border. Any thoughts on this?

A few questions:

Where do you find the BP 2x's ? They seem to be discontinued

Given the WAF, I was hoping to sneak a sub under an end table, but I have an 18" height restriction. The HSU subs are a bit tall. Given the images and sizes I originally posted above; let me know of any additional sub suggestions. Two subs are probably out of the question (for now).

Will this set up give me pretty good music playback? What combination of these speakers would be used for playing music only?

Thanks for helping me out on this issue.

Go to ebay or craigslist some be still be had, if you find a pair that is part of a system someone is selling try to see if they will just sell them. If you can't get the 2X's try to get the 1.2's, they are a bit smaller but will work very well for you space.

From a pair of 1.2's, don't wait they will not last.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ology-BP-1.-2-

For the BP's placement I'd put one on the wall behind the tree and the other on the wall directly across from that one. Don't worry if they are not directly across from each other, calibration will even out all spacing issues. As for determining what height to mount this or any rear speakers it would be best to have the middle of each speakers 3' to 4' above a person seated. Or, no more than 5.5' from the floor to mid speaker. Any higher and the rear sound will have too much openness and lower will bother listeners sitting close to those speakers.

If size is an issue may be this would work http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-T...item27c1540201. small sub tons of power and good price.

FYI bajawaverunner http://stores.ebay.com/bajawaverunne...id=p4340.l2563 is a trusted dealer he only sells refurhished DT and has supplied many here with there speakers.

Audyssey setup guide
post #5797 of 7342 Old 12-30-2011, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post

Vince

I do like the Pro monitors. If you have shelf space or wall space for them, you will be thrilled. I have been very satisfied with my PC 800 surrounds (4 of them) and the PC 1000 center in a room similar in size to your. It also has an open area behind the rear speakers. I am using a 94" Stewart StudioTek 130 with my Epson projector as well as an SVsound PB12-2 subwoofer rather than the PC800 sub. For my room the WAF was important and I was not disappointed with the PC800 compromise. We have enjoyed them for several years of family movie nights.

Full system is:

DefTech PC800 surrounds (1 pair L/R, 1 pair rear surrounds)
DefTech PC1000 center channel
SVsound PB-12+ Subwoofer
Epson 1080 projector
Denon AVR-3808CI Receiver
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray
Apple TV

We just put in a new bulb in the Epson and have been enjoying some new Christmas Blu-Ray's.

You'll be happy either way. No down side to this decision...

Enjoy

OK, say you get the 8's the the BP1.2's is a perfect match but if you opt to stay with the 1000's they would easyly work with them too.

Did you mention what AVr you are using, if it has DSX http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/audyssey-dsx you may want to try out adding an extra pair of 8's for the wide option since you would be saveng $$$ by getting the 8's over the 1000's if you went that way.

Audyssey setup guide
post #5798 of 7342 Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post

Had the YAPO but but thought the Audyssey with dymanic EQ and Volume were a hands down winner, so I sold my Yamaha. Please let me know if the new Yamaha AVR with YAPO do a betting job.

Lets talk before you upgrade, I like to here you reasons and what you are considering.

Well so far ypao has had a much better Job in the bass department than audyssey but it set the higher frequencies in the speakers a little higher especially considering that definitive speakers are bright and audyssey would always trim down the high end(treble). The cool thing is that you can manually tweak the equalizer which I did and left a much more Natural sound. The Yamaha is a powerhouse considering it was last years flagship model. I actually don't see reason to upgrade speakers at all as they are shining better than ever. Well I may upgrade the center channel but not sure to what and just use the procenter 2000 as a 6th back surround speaker. I do miss audyssey dynamic volume though but in that case I just turn up the volume in the receiver to make it more dynamic! Now what center to get. . .
post #5799 of 7342 Old 01-03-2012, 03:45 PM
VKR

Quote:

OK, say you get the 8's the the BP1.2's is a perfect match but if you opt to stay with the 1000's they would easyly work with them too.

Did you mention what AVr you are using, if it has DSX http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/audyssey-dsx you may want to try out adding an extra pair of 8's for the wide option since you would be saveng $$$ by getting the 8's over the 1000's if you went that way.

Plex, I was planning on going with a Denon AVR 1912 or possibly a Marantz SR5006. I don't believe either of these have the Audyssey dsx capability, but I may be wrong. I was hoping to keep it simple with a standard 5.1 set up.

If I was to go with the Pro Center 1000 (which may fit below my TV screen a bit easier) and right and left ProMonitor 800 fronts, would the BP2X's as rear surrounds be acceptable/desirable? I'm asking because the ProCenter 1000 and ProMonitor 800's use 4.5" drivers. Would the 5.5" drivers used in the BP2X's be problematic since they are a different size/diameter?

Thanks for all the help with this issue. I truly appreciate it.
post #5800 of 7342 Old 01-03-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Plex, I was planning on going with a Denon AVR 1912 or possibly a Marantz SR5006. I don't believe either of these have the Audyssey dsx capability, but I may be wrong. I was hoping to keep it simple with a standard 5.1 set up.

If I was to go with the Pro Center 1000 (which may fit below my TV screen a bit easier) and right and left ProMonitor 800 fronts, would the BP2X's as rear surrounds be acceptable/desirable? I'm asking because the ProCenter 1000 and ProMonitor 800's use 4.5" drivers. Would the 5.5" drivers used in the BP2X's be problematic since they are a different size/diameter?

Thanks for all the help with this issue. I truly appreciate it.

Great thing about rears speakers is the drivers do not need to match the mains or center. If you can get the 2X's you'll hear slightly more bass and fullness, but the 1.2 do very well and will not disappoint. Since its getting harder to find the old BP series I'd jump on any pair you can find, if you'd like i help you locate either model.

As for the AVR both are very good but I'm not up on the Marantz these days, I have two Denon's and really like their sound. As long as the AVR has Audyssey you can't go wrong. If you are not used to calibrated speakers this will sound very different to you but with in a few weeks you'll be hooked for life.

Took a qiuck look at both and the big difference is the 5006 has Audyssey MultiEQ® XT which gives you better control of your sub plus 10wpc more [you'll never hear that], now the 5006 is about $200 more. If you budget is tight the $200 savings can go a long way to buying other gear [Harmony One remote] but that's up to you, read and compare features this will help you pick the best for your needs. Another quick point some features like HD radio or mulit room contentions sounds cool but really think about how much radio you'll listen to and wiring hassles if you want the AVR to work in another room. I have these features but have never used them and will never, so read as much as you can before you buy.

Audyssey setup guide
post #5801 of 7342 Old 01-04-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ill ask this question here too. My fiance woke up this morning saying my Klipsch b2 speakers are too big in the bedroom! So I was thinking of going with the pro Cinema 1000 same driver size small footprint! Im a klipsch Guy I'm looking for a lil. Something different in the bedroom and I liked the sound of them also

Main System
Fronts RB 81 II BLK
Cener RC 52 II BLK
Rears RB 61 II CHERRY (going to be replaced with a black set)
Subwoofer SW112 BLK
SR 5006
MM7025
LG 55 LED 120HZ BDPS590 ipad 2 remote
Bedroom RB 41 II BLK/ TXSR 607 / TCL32X1 / BDPS370 / Apple TV 2 wife ipad3 remote
post #5802 of 7342 Old 01-04-2012, 05:22 PM
VKR

Quote:

Great thing about rears speakers is the drivers do not need to match the mains or center. If you can get the 2X's you'll hear slightly more bass and fullness, but the 1.2 do very well and will not disappoint. Since its getting harder to find the old BP series I'd jump on any pair you can find, if you'd like i help you locate either model.

As for the AVR both are very good but I'm not up on the Marantz these days, I have two Denon's and really like their sound. As long as the AVR has Audyssey you can't go wrong. If you are not used to calibrated speakers this will sound very different to you but with in a few weeks you'll be hooked for life.

Took a qiuck look at both and the big difference is the 5006 has Audyssey MultiEQ® XT which gives you better control of your sub plus 10wpc more [you'll never hear that], now the 5006 is about $200 more. If you budget is tight the $200 savings can go a long way to buying other gear [Harmony One remote] but that's up to you, read and compare features this will help you pick the best for your needs. Another quick point some features like HD radio or mulit room contentions sounds cool but really think about how much radio you'll listen to and wiring hassles if you want the AVR to work in another room. I have these features but have never used them and will never, so read as much as you can before you buy.

Plex, thanks for your help. I may just go with the Denon AVR-2112CI to pick up the MultiEQ XT. I wasn't big on the Marantz, but HiDef Lifestyle sells them locally and a salesman there was promoting Marantz as their go to line.

As for the surround speakers, I'm currently trying to work a deal on some used BP2X's.

For the front center, I'm still torn as to whether to go with the ProCenter 2000 w/ ProMonitor 1000's or just go with the ProCenter 1000 and ProMonitor 800's. If I understand correctly, I should try and match the front driver diameters (please confirm). I'm just concerned that the ProCenter 2000's height may be a bit much in front/under the TV monitor frame. The 2000 may also conflict with the TV remote control (not sure). I may see if I can borrow a ProCenter 2000 from somewhere to see how it fits. It seems Longbow is pleased with the ProCenter 1000 and Pro Monitor 800's. Decisions Decisions...
post #5803 of 7342 Old 01-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Plex, thanks for your help. I may just go with the Denon AVR-2112CI to pick up the MultiEQ XT. I wasn't big on the Marantz, but HiDef Lifestyle sells them locally and a salesman there was promoting Marantz as their go to line.

As for the surround speakers, I'm currently trying to work a deal on some used BP2X's.

For the front center, I'm still torn as to whether to go with the ProCenter 2000 w/ ProMonitor 1000's or just go with the ProCenter 1000 and ProMonitor 800's. If I understand correctly, I should try and match the front driver diameters (please confirm). I'm just concerned that the ProCenter 2000's height may be a bit much in front/under the TV monitor frame. The 2000 may also conflict with the TV remote control (not sure). I may see if I can borrow a ProCenter 2000 from somewhere to see how it fits. It seems Longbow is pleased with the ProCenter 1000 and Pro Monitor 800's. Decisions Decisions...

If you were in the columbus Ohio area...I'm selling my pro center 1000 and 2 pro monitor 800's with 2 Sanus stands plus 14 gage wire and bannana tips for 300...:-) ...all were bought a few months ago...:-)

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #5804 of 7342 Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

If you were in the columbus Ohio area...I'm selling my pro center 1000 and 2 pro monitor 800's with 2 Sanus stands plus 14 gage wire and bannana tips for 300...:-) ...all were bought a few months ago...:-)

The Denon's are far less money than the Marantz and for almost the same features.

You are correct you want to keep the same size driver for the mains as well as the center. Check to see were the IR senser is located some are not in the center but have been pushed to the sides, I think manufactures realized center speakers where blocking signals and many moved the sensers.

Now that's a good deal, thank god I'm not in the market or I's snatch them myself

VKR, this would be a good starter setup I'd consider it. But if you don't want to wait to upgrade get the 1000/2000 now you'll be set for many years.

There are far too many buyers here that bought small but ended up upgrading within the first year. Going a bit more now really saves you money in the long run, if you upgrade soon after buying you loose money on the resale now that might not be much but every penny counts.

If you have the money now than carefully pick your items, if you don't have enough to get all you want now, wait a month or so and save a bit more to get what you want. I don't want to you to over spend on buying this system but I do want to buy correctly the first time so you do save the money upfront.

Now I'd still get the 2X's even if you don't buy any other speakers in the next few months. The 2X's will anchor any other speakers you put with then and this is a great speaker to have.

Here is a money saver to all out there, I shop for all wires and HDMI cales, Banana plugs and anything eles at http://www.monoprice.com no one can beat their prices and tons of AVS'ers buy from them so they have a very good rep. So keep them in mind when anyone is buying AV cables or computer cables. Also if you buy a sub and you want to get a better cable the monoprice version is as thick as a rope and very well built and sounds sweet.

Sub Cable
Here is the 10' cable, they sale all sizes but check out the reviews http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Audyssey setup guide
post #5805 of 7342 Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 AM
VKR

Quote:

The Denon's are far less money than the Marantz and for almost the same features.

You are correct you want to keep the same size driver for the mains as well as the center. Check to see were the IR senser is located some are not in the center but have been pushed to the sides, I think manufactures realized center speakers where blocking signals and many moved the sensers.

Now that's a good deal, thank god I'm not in the market or I's snatch them myself

VKR, this would be a good starter setup I'd consider it. But if you don't want to wait to upgrade get the 1000/2000 now you'll be set for many years.

There are far too many buyers here that bought small but ended up upgrading within the first year. Going a bit more now really saves you money in the long run, if you upgrade soon after buying you loose money on the resale now that might not be much but every penny counts.

If you have the money now than carefully pick your items, if you don't have enough to get all you want now, wait a month or so and save a bit more to get what you want. I don't want to you to over spend on buying this system but I do want to buy correctly the first time so you do save the money upfront.

Now I'd still get the 2X's even if you don't buy any other speakers in the next few months. The 2X's will anchor any other speakers you put with then and this is a great speaker to have.

Here is a money saver to all out there, I shop for all wires and HDMI cales, Banana plugs and anything eles at http://www.monoprice.com no one can beat their prices and tons of AVS'ers buy from them so they have a very good rep. So keep them in mind when anyone is buying AV cables or computer cables. Also if you buy a sub and you want to get a better cable the monoprice version is as thick as a rope and very well built and sounds sweet.

Sub Cable
Here is the 10' cable, they sale all sizes but check out the reviews http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Plex, Thanks for the tips. The BP2X's I found on Craigslist should be on there way to me early next week.

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV (TC-P50GT25). Checking the owners manual and searching the front lower frame with a flash light, The remote control sensor is low on the frame and will be obstructed by the ProCenter 1000 or 2000. However, I use a Xantek ML85K Microlink IR Receiver to operate my set top box and blueray player which are inside a cabinet. I guess there is no reason I couldn't also use it to control the TV by adding an emitter to the remote control sensor on the frame. I'll have to experiment with that. Does anyone have any experience with this?

There also seems to be, what I believe are two sets of 3D eyewear transmitters on each side of the frame about nine inches off the center of the frame. These would be outside the overall width/length of the ProCenter 1000 or 2000. Experimenting with these, it seems I can block one transmitter set and the 3D glasses still work, but blocking both sets/sides shuts the glasses down. Again, let me know if anyone has any experience with this type of situation. You would think they would locate these higher on the side frames or something?

Any help or info would be appreciated... Thanks
post #5806 of 7342 Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 AM

Hello,
I'm new to Def Techs, and thinking of going with the Pro 1000 system, and purchase 2 more Pro 1000's for my 7.1 (7.2) with existing sub

I have a Pioneer VSX-1121-K, currently running old Cerwin Vega AT-10's L/R, Polk center and Polk bookshelf for surrounds, and a Klipsch Synergy 12" 650 watt, 300 watt rms sub.

System sounds good, but I think it would sound better with a matched set of speakers.

I plan on using the Klipsch sub and the Def Tech sub for 7.2

There is alot of great info in this thread, I was worndering what you thinkl about my planned setup, and any reviews from anyone running a 7.1 system with all Pro 1000 speakers.

Jim
post #5807 of 7342 Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post

Hello,
I'm new to Def Techs, and thinking of going with the Pro 1000 system, and purchase 2 more Pro 1000's for my 7.1 (7.2) with existing sub

I have a Pioneer VSX-1121-K, currently running old Cerwin Vega AT-10's L/R, Polk center and Polk bookshelf for surrounds, and a Klipsch Synergy 12" 650 watt, 300 watt rms sub.

System sounds good, but I think it would sound better with a matched set of speakers.

I plan on using the Klipsch sub and the Def Tech sub for 7.2

There is alot of great info in this thread, I was worndering what you thinkl about my planned setup, and any reviews from anyone running a 7.1 system with all Pro 1000 speakers.

Make sure you get the PC2000 with the PM1000 mains and not the PC1000, I think the PC1000 is part of the ProCinema 1000 system, you'd want the ProCinema 1000 Plus system . The PC1000 is meant to be used with the PM800's check driver size for both and you'll see the PC1000 uses a smaller driver. Another way is to use another PM1000 as a center. Three of the same speakers across the front is ideal but many of us can't fit a mains speaker in most cabinets center space. So the PC2000 is the next best bet same size drivers as the PM1000's

Now you could save some money by getting PM800's for the rears and sides. It is not a rule the rears must be the same size as the front of the system.

Does the Pioneer have a sub calibration section if so that will help a lot.

Audyssey setup guide
post #5808 of 7342 Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:

Make sure you get the PC2000 with the PM1000 mains and not the PC1000, I think the PC1000 is part of the ProCinema 1000 system, you'd want the ProCinema 1000 Plus system . The PC1000 is meant to be used with the PM800's check driver size for both and you'll see the PC1000 uses a smaller driver. Another way is to use another PM1000 as a center. Three of the same speakers across the front is ideal but many of us can't fit a mains speaker in most cabinets center space. So the PC2000 is the next best bet same size drivers as the PM1000's

Now you could save some money by getting PM800's for the rears and sides. It is not a rule the rears must be the same size as the front of the system.

Does the Pioneer have a sub calibration section if so that will help a lot.

Thanks for the advice, The PC2000 will be a tight/close fit but sounds better matched to the 1000 sats, here is my TV stand http://www.techcraft.net/4105/detail...roduct_id=2506

I was thinking the PC1000's would be better than the 800's cause they are a little bigger, and I like to crank up the music from time to time. I know there are better speakers for music but I can't afford BP7000SC's LOL

Yeah, Pioneer has auto and manual MCACC calibration, I just upgraded to this model, so still playing with it. You can set the crossover and the output as well as the LFE

One other thing I like about the Def Tech's, they will work at 6 ohm, so I'll be putting 150 watts to them instead of 110 at 8 ohm

Jim
post #5809 of 7342 Old 01-10-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Thanks for the advice, The PC2000 will be a tight/close fit but sounds better matched to the 1000 sats, here is my TV stand http://www.techcraft.net/4105/detail...roduct_id=2506

I was thinking the PC1000's would be better than the 800's cause they are a little bigger, and I like to crank up the music from time to time. I know there are better speakers for music but I can't afford BP7000SC's LOL

Yeah, Pioneer has auto and manual MCACC calibration, I just upgraded to this model, so still playing with it. You can set the crossover and the output as well as the LFE

One other thing I like about the Def Tech's, they will work at 6 ohm, so I'll be putting 150 watts to them instead of 110 at 8 ohm

Hi Nibis,

I have ran a PC2000 with PM1000's front L & R (Currently BP8's L & R), and surround back L & R along with BP1.2x's surround L & R and was/still am very happy with the sound. I prefer the BP1.2x's for surround use, but the PM's work really well too especially if you have tradition theater seating where you have space between you and the surrounds so you can aim the PM's at the listening area.

Even if the PM's we're and steady 6 Ohm load, you wouldn't notice the difference between 110 and 150 watts. The difference between 110 watts and double the power 220 watts is only a 3dB increase in volume.

Now to my ears the PM1000's go louder than I ever need in my room, but Cerwin Vegas are typically very efficient speakers that are likely high 90's sensitivity. The PM1000's sensitivity is 91dB and If your Cerwin Vegas are say 97dB sensitive it would take 440 watts to get the PM1000's to play as loud as the Cerwin Vegas with 110 watts. So be warned if you have a large space and like rock concert volume, you will notice quite a difference between the two speakers.

IMHO the trade off is well worth it for the quality of the sound the matched set of DT's offers.

Good Luck
post #5810 of 7342 Old 01-10-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Hi Nibis,

I have ran a PC2000 with PM1000's front L & R (Currently BP8's L & R), and surround back L & R along with BP1.2x's surround L & R and was/still am very happy with the sound. I prefer the BP1.2x's for surround use, but the PM's work really well too especially if you have tradition theater seating where you have space between you and the surrounds so you can aim the PM's at the listening area.

Even if the PM's we're and steady 6 Ohm load, you wouldn't notice the difference between 110 and 150 watts. The difference between 110 watts and double the power 220 watts is only a 3dB increase in volume.

Now to my ears the PM1000's go louder than I ever need in my room, but Cerwin Vegas are typically very efficient speakers that are likely high 90's sensitivity. The PM1000's sensitivity is 91dB and If your Cerwin Vegas are say 97dB sensitive it would take 440 watts to get the PM1000's to play as loud as the Cerwin Vegas with 110 watts. So be warned if you have a large space and like rock concert volume, you will notice quite a difference between the two speakers.

IMHO the trade off is well worth it for the quality of the sound the matched set of DT's offers.

Good Luck

Thanks, I hear what your saying about the wattage, it takes double the watts to hear a noticable difference.

Yes the Cerwin Vegas are great, but OLD, I bought them in 1990 or 1991, i have replaced the subs with 8 ohm rockford fosgate punch due to the foam surrounds going bad.

I think your right, the sound quality is going to be much better with the DT's, especialy with the matched timber.

The Surround and Surround back speakers will be on a floating shelf, kinda like a fireplace mantle, 10 feet long.

The fronts L/R will be on the wall next to the TV, and the center in the TV stand.

DF sub will be on the left of TV stand, Klipsch will be on the right, replacing where the CV's sit.

It's a work in progress, will take some pics and post when I can

Jim
post #5811 of 7342 Old 01-11-2012, 07:28 PM

Curious if anyone here has compared a Promonitor 1000 set up to Paradigm MilleniaOne's? I heard the Paradigms today, and they were simply marvelous. Detailed, smooth, and deadly flat. But I was not able to side-by-side with the DefTech's. My biggest concern about going with the Paradigms is that my room is already pretty darn large for small sats, but WAF has mandated that approach. My gut says that the "beefier" PM1000's which play much lower than the Paradigms will fill my large space better. Plus Paradigm does not offer a more robust center speaker option (like the PC2000), so I'm concerned how they'll perform for movies.

All this said, I think the MilleniaOne's are probably a cut above the PM's in overall quality and accuracy. If this were going to be a "music only" setup, I'd definitely be leaning their way. But for overall movie/music performance in my bigass room, I still tend to think the PM1000 setup (with the right sub) might be a better overall approach.

Thoughts?
post #5812 of 7342 Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 AM

I got six Pro 1000 speakers yesterday, and also ordered a CS-8040HD center.
Wanted to get the Pro 1000 sub, but didn't have enough money.

Center speaker comes in on the 19th, and I'll have my new TV stand on the 16th.

I have all the wood to make the 10 foot floating shelf/ fire place mantle for the suround and suround back speakers, just waiting for my buddy to help build it, he has all the cool tools.

Jim
post #5813 of 7342 Old 01-15-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:

I have all the wood to make the 10 foot floating shelf/ fire place mantle for the suround and suround back speakers, just waiting for my buddy to help build it, he has all the cool tools.

Conrats and enjoy! Six Pro 1000s sounds like a great set up. Look at online only subs for even better bang for buck and performance (Hsu, Outlaw, etc..). If you prefer to stay with the Def Techs, the higher end models perform very nicely but the price tag goes way up.
post #5814 of 7342 Old 01-15-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

Curious why you chose the 8040 instead of the PC2000, which uses the same drivers as the PM1000? What does the 8040 sound like in this array?

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #5815 of 7342 Old 01-15-2012, 03:50 PM

n
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Curious why you chose the 8040 instead of the PC2000, which uses the same drivers as the PM1000? What does the 8040 sound like in this array?

I wanted the PC2000, but it will be a really tight fit in my entertainment stand, after listening to the 8040 at best buy compared to the PC1000, the difference was quite clear, and even though I couldn't hear a PC2000, cause best buy does not carry them, the sales guy offered me 50 bucks off the 8040.

We listened to some music, then watch some of the movie Avatar, and the 8040 sounded awesome, since the PC1000 system comes with the PC1000 center, and the 8040 sounded better than the PC1000, I think the 8040 is a good fit for my system.

The new entertainment stand comes tomorrow, and I get the 8040 on thursday, plus I'm waiting for my buddy to start on the shelf for the rear speakers.

If it were up to me, I would just mount the rears to the wall, but that does not meet the "WAF"

Hopefully I will have the full setup going in a week or so, minus the second sub, my Klipsch will just have to do for now.

Jim
post #5816 of 7342 Old 01-16-2012, 06:51 PM

Hey guys,

I just recently made a few attempts to uprade my speakers for my PC. I mostly use my PC for listening to music and playing PC games.

First, I had the Logitech 5300e 5.1 set, which I've been happy with for the few years that I've had them. However, recently my center channel went out and since it's malfunctioning in the amplifier portion (it's not the speaker), it's not worth trying to fix.

Also, I do my PS3 / 360 gaming in my computer room but have always just used the TV's speakers (Vizio 32") for that since my logitech's couldn't take any other inputs.

Anyways, I figured it was time to look into getting an upgraded 5.1 setup in my computer room. Something that would play music and games really well and allow me to use it for my PS3 / 360 as well.

First, I got the Onkyo HT-S3400 HTIB, but I was really unhappy with the speakers and the sound they produced, even after upgrading the speaker wire. The speakers had very little weight to them and they sounded very hollow. I was concerned this would be the case for that price, but I figured it was easy to try them out and if I didn't like them, return them (which I did).

Then, I figured I should stop messing around, spend a little more money and get something higher quality. I ended up getting these:

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-821-K
Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 60.6

First off, the build quality on the Definitives is amazing. They're very solid, heavy and have great connectors. Now the problem is that when listening to these speakers through my new Pioneer 821, the sound is very bright and in some cases hurts my ears to listen to them. There's a harshness to some of the higher frequencies that I find irritating, but only on my new setup. The rest of the time they sound very good with lots of detail, but they don't have the warmth that I'm looking for. Voices don't sound quite right on them to me.

Anyways, I was hoping that breaking them in would fix that harshness with the high frequencies, but it hasn't (I've got probably 24-30 hours on them). I've tried swapping in some old Polk R15 bookshelf speakers for the front right/left to see if the harshness is in the receiver or the speakers and so far it still seems like it's the Definitives are causing the problem. I've also tried using headphones through the Pioneer and those sound pretty good (the speakers aren't very high end though)

At this point, I'm fairly sure I'm going to send the Definitive's back (which I find very hard to believe), but I'm not sure what I should get instead or if I should send the Pioneer back too and start over. I bought both of them through Amazon and am still within my 30 days...

Do you guys have any thoughts on what I should do? Also, have you heard anything about Pioneer or DT being harsh or bright? I haven't seen anything like that in all my internet research.

I'm very limited on space since I'm running all this on a computer desk (i.e. no towers and most bookshelf speakers will be too big).

My goals are:
An accurate 5.1 set with small satellites/center (The sub can be big since that has lots of room behind my desk)
I don't really want to spend any more than $600 for everything (which is what I spent on my current setup)

My current ideas are:

Keep the Pioneer 821 and buy the Polk RM 510 5.1 set when it's back in stock at NewEgg (or some other similar 5.1 setup).

Keep the Pioneer 821 and try the Energy Take Classic 5.1 set. I'm a bit put off by the fact that sub is only 50w RMS, but maybe I'm overthinking it? I do appreciate good bass in games, music and movies, but my priority is accuracy, not booming. Plus, it's a small home office, so it doesn't take much to fill it.

Return the Pioneer 821 as well and pick up the Logitech Z906 5.1 set

Thanks for any help you can offer guys.

Rich
post #5817 of 7342 Old 01-17-2012, 05:11 AM

I have Procinema 800 and I have a question about sub.
If I turn off the AVR and forget to turn off the sub, or just listening music quit, so you dont feel like the sub is playing, he turn himself off after a half an our.
I don´t know is this a problem or the way it´s suppose to work.
He have some protection system or that is problem?
post #5818 of 7342 Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbakis View Post

I have Procinema 800 and I have a question about sub.
If I turn off the AVR and forget to turn off the sub, or just listening music quit, so you dont feel like the sub is playing, he turn himself off after a half an our.
I don´t know is this a problem or the way it´s suppose to work.
He have some protection system or that is problem?

It's auto shut of so you don't have to. most subs have a switch to enable or disable, personally, I always use the auto on, auto off feature

Jim
post #5819 of 7342 Old 01-17-2012, 05:34 AM

Keeb,
First try playing with the EQ setting in the A/V, Pioneer is a great brand, you may be able to tune out the harshness.

Looking at the 60.6, the sats do not have bass radiators like the other HTIB by Def Tech, I would go with the PC600, I bet you would like those better, and they are not much bigger.

Jim
post #5820 of 7342 Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Keeb,
First try playing with the EQ setting in the A/V, Pioneer is a great brand, you may be able to tune out the harshness.

Looking at the 60.6, the sats do not have bass radiators like the other HTIB by Def Tech, I would go with the PC600, I bet you would like those better, and they are not much bigger.

Hey Nibis,

Thanks for the response.

The Pioneer 821 doesn't really have any EQ settings from what I can see. You can turn on the MCACC EQ (apparently uses settings it gets from the auto-calibration), but there's no way to tweak it and the harshness is still there with it on. You can adjust bass and treble, but I'm a bit leary of doing that since I don't think all the listening modes support Bass/Treble AND I'm not sure I would be content with that as a fix since it would probably take out some of the detail.

Also, it's not just harshness. Everything "seems" a bit higher pitched - probably due to the brightness. Something in the mid range seems lacking. Music doesn't have the warmness I like, Male voices don't sound like they should, etc.

As for the DT 600 set, that's out of my price range unfortunately. As I mentioned above (sorry, I know it's long), I don't want to go over $600 for everything. This is just for my gaming and some music listening in the home office. I have a higher end setup out in the living room which we use for TV/Movies...
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Procinema 600 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology Procinema 1000 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page