Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread - Page 201 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #6001 of 7286 Old 04-17-2012, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Hey ride,

Any chance you can get your hands on two ladders to use as temporary stands so you can try them either way before mounting them? I like to do this since you get different results in different spaces.

I don't even have one ladder other then a small step stool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 7286 Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride92 View Post

I don't even have one ladder other then a small step stool

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to get to know your neighbours.
post #6003 of 7286 Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 PM

I thought this would be the right place to ask this since this is a Def. Tech forum. I recently purchased the pro cinema 60.6 speaker package. I am really happy with the set up. I have one question about the pro sub 60. I was cleaning my stand when I bent down close to the sub it was hissing from the woofer. I thought I would let it shut completely off then check it again and it was still hissing.Is this normal for a sub to hiss even when it shuts off, or maybe the sub really doesn't shut off maybe the light just goes off? It isn't loud and I can't hear it when running the receiver but it is noticeable when nothing is running.

Dale B
post #6004 of 7286 Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale0015 View Post

I thought this would be the right place to ask this since this is a Def. Tech forum. I recently purchased the pro cinema 60.6 speaker package. I am really happy with the set up. I have one question about the pro sub 60. I was cleaning my stand when I bent down close to the sub it was hissing from the woofer. I thought I would let it shut completely off then check it again and it was still hissing.Is this normal for a sub to hiss even when it shuts off, or maybe the sub really doesn't shut off maybe the light just goes off? It isn't loud and I can't hear it when running the receiver but it is noticeable when nothing is running.

Hello Dale, how close are you when you hear the hissing? If you clearly hear it from 5-6 feet away, there is probably an amp issue. But if you only hear it with your ear very close to the sub, that may be normal. Most budget-priced amps are not as dead quiet as their more high-end counterparts. If there is an issue, you can contact Adam and Chet at info@definitivetech.com. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #6005 of 7286 Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM

Thanks Joe for the response. I can only hear the hiss if I am about 6 inches away, but is it normal to make the hiss when the sub shuts down? Like I said it still makes the sound after the red light goes off.

Dale B
post #6006 of 7286 Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks Joe for the response. I can only hear the hiss if I am about 6 inches away, but is it normal to make the hiss when the sub shuts down? Like I said it still makes the sound after the red light goes off.

Hello Dale, no worry - your amp is OK. When the red light goes off, it's not truly off, but in standby mode, and still draw a bit of current. That's how it is possible to still detect a bit of hiss. If this were audible 10 feet away, that's different. Thanks for buying Definitive - best, Joe
post #6007 of 7286 Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

Do you still hear hiss if you unplug the sub completely from the AC? If you do, I have a theory.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #6008 of 7286 Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 PM

Liked: 12
Hi guys, I'd like to buy Def Tech Pro Cinema600 from Ebay, is it reliable ?
coz the price a lot cheaper than authorized dealer

I don't care about the warranty cause I live outside US

Thx u

Bedroom theater
Dynaudio DM 2/6 - Dynaudio DM Center - Def tech pro monitor 600 - Def Tech Prosub 600 - Marantz NR1402 - Bantam Gold Power Amp - Clark Synthesis tst 239 - Dune H1 - PS3
post #6009 of 7286 Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibanez View Post

Thx u

There is actually a lot of Def Tech stuff on eBay thats listed (and looks) unopened and brand new. Is this stuff legit? Im wondering the same.

post #6010 of 7286 Old 05-03-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Thx u

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post

There is actually a lot of Def Tech stuff on eBay thats listed (and looks) unopened and brand new. Is this stuff legit? Im wondering the same.

The mfr. refurbs sold by bajawaverunner are very much "legit". As for other sellers, some of them state in the listing that they are not authorized resellers, meaning you have no warranty coverage from DT. Some offer 3rd party warranties which may or may not be worth anything. You really have to base your decision on the seller's feedback reputation and whether they offer a return policy.
post #6011 of 7286 Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 AM

Liked: 12
Yes, bajawaverunner for refurbish Def Tech.
But what about other seller? or maybe any members in this forum already made purchase using ebay? and maybe could share some experience buy def tech product especially pro cinema from ebay?

Bedroom theater
Dynaudio DM 2/6 - Dynaudio DM Center - Def tech pro monitor 600 - Def Tech Prosub 600 - Marantz NR1402 - Bantam Gold Power Amp - Clark Synthesis tst 239 - Dune H1 - PS3
post #6012 of 7286 Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yes, bajawaverunner for refurbish Def Tech.
But what about other seller? or maybe any members in this forum already made purchase using ebay? and maybe could share some experience buy def tech product especially pro cinema from ebay?

If it's not sold by Baja, then it's just like buying off the street, sometimes you get a good deal and times you don't. Baja is the safe and the only DT I'd buy from Ebay.

My cousin got a complete system from Baja and you'd never know it was a refurbished. They were packed in DT boxes and in prefect condition, I'd swear they came straight from DT. And they sound great

Audyssey setup guide
post #6013 of 7286 Old 05-05-2012, 06:25 AM

Hi All,

I had my system recenlty setup with the help of this forum and mostly Plex. I now have Procinema 1000 5.1 setup with ProCenter 2000, SVS PB12-NSD, Denon 2112ci, Panasonic Bluray BDT220

Everything is great and happy with setup but have one nagging issue, I notice when watching movies that the volume would fade in and out often. I am not sure that I notice this when watching regular TV programs and playing pandora internet radio. I checked HDMI cables and speaker cables (from monoprice) and they all seem to be secure.

Any feedback would be helpful and appreciated
post #6014 of 7286 Old 05-07-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denguz View Post

Hi All,

I had my system recenlty setup with the help of this forum and mostly Plex. I now have Procinema 1000 5.1 setup with ProCenter 2000, SVS PB12-NSD, Denon 2112ci, Panasonic Bluray BDT220

Everything is great and happy with setup but have one nagging issue, I notice when watching movies that the volume would fade in and out often. I am not sure that I notice this when watching regular TV programs and playing pandora internet radio. I checked HDMI cables and speaker cables (from monoprice) and they all seem to be secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denguz View Post

Hi All,

I would first confirm if you only notice the issue when watching movies with your bluray player vs cable/sat box. They key to troubleshooting is isolation.
post #6015 of 7286 Old 05-07-2012, 05:56 AM

I listened to both PRO Cinema 800 and 1000. I also listened to PRO 1000 with a PRO 2000 center channel. I then tried something which I believe gives me the best range for my money. For my fronts I tried 2 BP-8040, Center Channel was CS-8060HD and my 2 rear were PRO 1000. Powered subs are in the 8040 and the center channel. The sound was amazing and though at times the base was a little punchy, you can dial it down, or do what I am and use my current sub in conjunction with this system. All I am waiting for now is the Panasonic VT50 to release.
post #6016 of 7286 Old 05-07-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello everyone,

I am having a new home built in which my home theater area will be in the living room and I need to decide the locations for in wall wiring and speaker placement for 7 channels. I will also pre-wire for 4 sub connections and may pre-wire for heights/wides. Also anyone's insight on pre-wiring for ethernet If anyone has experience with a similar room. I would love to get your input.

This is a picture of the same room showing what will be front right of the MLP. I have to keep all speakers on the front wall. I'm still undecided if I will use bipolar tower speakers front L&R or direct radiating bookshelf matching the height of the center channel speaker. I plan of having the front L&R's around 4' left and right of center line of the room due to the arched opening to the hallway.

post #6017 of 7286 Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebmg View Post

I listened to both PRO Cinema 800 and 1000. I also listened to PRO 1000 with a PRO 2000 center channel. I then tried something which I believe gives me the best range for my money. For my fronts I tried 2 BP-8040, Center Channel was CS-8060HD and my 2 rear were PRO 1000. Powered subs are in the 8040 and the center channel. The sound was amazing and though at times the base was a little punchy, you can dial it down, or do what I am and use my current sub in conjunction with this system. All I am waiting for now is the Panasonic VT50 to release.

Great set-up Steve, you have put together a great bang-for-the-buck system. Enjoy it and play it often!
post #6018 of 7286 Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Hello everyone,

I am having a new home built in which my home theater area will be in the living room and I need to decide the locations for in wall wiring and speaker placement for 7 channels. I will also pre-wire for 4 sub connections and may pre-wire for heights/wides. Also anyone's insight on pre-wiring for ethernet If anyone has experience with a similar room. I would love to get your input.

This is a picture of the same room showing what will be front right of the MLP. I have to keep all speakers on the front wall. I'm still undecided if I will use bipolar tower speakers front L&R or direct radiating bookshelf matching the height of the center channel speaker. I plan of having the front L&R's around 4' left and right of center line of the room due to the arched opening to the hallway.

Hello Todd, this is pretty exciting. I am sure you are pumped up. A few thoughts: 1. Do you plan to run conduit for the wiring? That will enable you to pull extra wire in the future. At the rate things are changing, that may be a great move. 2. I strongly suggest ethernet wiring. You can do a lot control-wise now over ethernet, and I would think that will only grow. 3. Pre-wring for heights and wides - absolutely. Wire is cheap, retrofitting is costly. 4. I suggest bipolar towers for the L & R. As much as I love our new bookshelf speakers, you do get some benefits with bipolar that you can't get from regular speakers. Plus you need to buy stands or brackets of some sort anyway for the bookshelves. I think our BP are really good values for the money. 5. Buy a few Dixie Dregs CD's (esp. Night of the Living Dregs), and the Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore. Of course, this last tip is good advice for anyone...Best, Joe
post #6019 of 7286 Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hello Todd, this is pretty exciting. I am sure you are pumped up. A few thoughts: 1. Do you plan to run conduit for the wiring? That will enable you to pull extra wire in the future. At the rate things are changing, that may be a great move. 2. I strongly suggest ethernet wiring. You can do a lot control-wise now over ethernet, and I would think that will only grow. 3. Pre-wring for heights and wides - absolutely. Wire is cheap, retrofitting is costly. 4. I suggest bipolar towers for the L & R. As much as I love our new bookshelf speakers, you do get some benefits with bipolar that you can't get from regular speakers. Plus you need to buy stands or brackets of some sort anyway for the bookshelves. I think our BP are really good values for the money. 5. Buy a few Dixie Dregs CD's (esp. Night of the Living Dregs), and the Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore. Of course, this last tip is good advice for anyone...Best, Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the input! I'm wondering where I would run the conduit for future runs. I'm not sure where I would focus on having it ran. It sounds like a prudent thing to do.

I already have a collection of pm1000's and the bp8 towers. I just was a little unsure using the bp8's so close to the opening to the hallway where the right one would be, but you still feel its a better choice than using a pm1000 at that location even giving the lack of symmetry on that wall correct?

I currently use a wireless Ethernet bridge located on my AV stand to connect various equipment. But I thought it would be good to locate a phone jack at the AV stand below the tv for the dsl router to hardwire the equipment and then run Ethernet from there to a few locations around the house.

Thanks again!
post #6020 of 7286 Old 05-08-2012, 02:58 PM

Looking to possibly upgrade Procinema 800 pkg

Hi, looking for some advice. Unfortunately my Porcinema 800 system is a few months old and I'm already contemplating doing some upgrades. My living room is 26x14.5ft. My ceilings are very low at only 7.5ft. I was thinking of upgrading my front left and right with the PM1000's, center monitor with the CM2000, and the sub with the SVS PB12.

I can't do it all at once so I'm wondering where should I start. Do I upgrade the front right/left/center and the prosub 800 will work well with them, or do I upgrade the sub first and get the PM1000 and CM2000 later on? I've also considered the new studio monitors however I think they may be a little too big for my taste.

Finally, I read in the earlier days of this thread that you could get Definitive Technology equipment at a 15-20% discount off MSRP by calling reseller's such as ABT, does any one know if reseller's still do this. I plan to call around and ask if they, but thought I'd ask the question anyway. Thanks in advance for the input and advice.
post #6021 of 7286 Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:

I would first confirm if you only notice the issue when watching movies with your bluray player vs cable/sat box. They key to troubleshooting is isolation.

I will continue to monitor and see if it does the same thing when watching Cable TV and also will watch some regular DVD movies to see if it has any difference as well. I will report back soon. Thanks
post #6022 of 7286 Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleibowitz View Post

Looking to possibly upgrade Procinema 800 pkg

Hi, looking for some advice. Unfortunately my Porcinema 800 system is a few months old and I'm already contemplating doing some upgrades. My living room is 26x14.5ft. My ceilings are very low at only 7.5ft. I was thinking of upgrading my front left and right with the PM1000's, center monitor with the CM2000, and the sub with the SVS PB12.

I can't do it all at once so I'm wondering where should I start. Do I upgrade the front right/left/center and the prosub 800 will work well with them, or do I upgrade the sub first and get the PM1000 and CM2000 later on? I've also considered the new studio monitors however I think they may be a little too big for my taste.

Finally, I read in the earlier days of this thread that you could get Definitive Technology equipment at a 15-20% discount off MSRP by calling reseller's such as ABT, does any one know if reseller's still do this. I plan to call around and ask if they, but thought I'd ask the question anyway. Thanks in advance for the input and advice.

The jump from the 800's to the 1000's is incremental. The performance of the two subs differs quite a bit. What is it you are not satisfied with?
post #6023 of 7286 Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:

The jump from the 800's to the 1000's is incremental. The performance of the two subs differs quite a bit. What is it you are not satisfied with?

I'm wondering if the PM1000's would fill my size room better than the 800s. Overall I'm happy with the 800s be sometimes I feel that they don't fill the room. I knew to this, so I'm not quite sure what it is to expect or look for. I've read thru the forums for the begining of the thread to try and educate myself, and the more I read the more I begin to question if I bought the right set up for the room.
post #6024 of 7286 Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm wondering if the PM1000's would fill my size room better than the 800s. Overall I'm happy with the 800s be sometimes I feel that they don't fill the room. I knew to this, so I'm not quite sure what it is to expect or look for. I've read thru the forums for the begining of the thread to try and educate myself, and the more I read the more I begin to question if I bought the right set up for the room.

Well, before you spend more money. You could give us info on your room, speaker placement, your MLP (main listening position), details of your speaker & crossover levels from your avr if you like. The room a speaker is in, where it is placed and where in the room you listen at are as important as the actual speakers you chose IMHO. If you can post a diagram, that would be helpful.
post #6025 of 7286 Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Hi Ple, I think Todd's question is, are you dissatisfied with the bass response? Do you feel that you would like more deep bass slam on really impactful movie tracks? If so, then start with the sub. The ProMonitor 1000's would be a bit fuller on voices and music. If you primarily watch movies, the center channel is the most important speaker in the bunch, as it is the main dialog vehicle. So if that's your dissatisfaction, then start there. Also - if it doesn't sound full to you, maybe you are sitting in a null. Can you change your listening position a bit? I hope this helps - Best regards, Joe
post #6026 of 7286 Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the input! I'm wondering where I would run the conduit for future runs. I'm not sure where I would focus on having it ran. It sounds like a prudent thing to do.

I already have a collection of pm1000's and the bp8 towers. I just was a little unsure using the bp8's so close to the opening to the hallway where the right one would be, but you still feel its a better choice than using a pm1000 at that location even giving the lack of symmetry on that wall correct?

I currently use a wireless Ethernet bridge located on my AV stand to connect various equipment. But I thought it would be good to locate a phone jack at the AV stand below the tv for the dsl router to hardwire the equipment and then run Ethernet from there to a few locations around the house.

Thanks again!

Hi Todd, you can run conduit to any area where you plan to run speakers or components. You then pull the wire through the conduit, and if you need another type of wire someday, it's easy to pull it. This is especially true if you have a keypad location, which it sounds at the moment like you do not. But you may want one in the future for lighting control, etc. You do have the ethernet router connecting to that room, so that's a natural place to run conduit. Regarding your lack of symmetry question with the wall opening, that lack will affect any speaker you put there, so my thougth was to go with the best you can in that location. Openings tend to bleed bass out of a system, so having a more bass capable speaker there might make sense. I hope this helps! Best, Joe
post #6027 of 7286 Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

In my room, from long experience, I know that being able to cross over the front three channels at 80Hz or lower is very important. Because it's a relatively small room, with an open back, and we sit close to the speakers, three units that are as near identical as possible with a low enough crossover that there's no chance of localization in the sub (which is much farther away from the listener, by necessity; there's only one place it can go), is what works best.

Because the room is so small (13x15x9) we need small speakers, but because the room is carpeted and full of big upholstered furniture it soaks up sound and needs relatively sensitive ones to produce high SPLs.

That's why we chose ProCinemas, and particularly a PC1000/2000 setup. They work well as near-field monitors, and support an 80Hz crossover at high volume without strain. The 800s would have mandated a 100Hz crossover, a point where we do occasionally start to hear the sub as a separate source.

I don't disagree that the differences between the 800 and the 1000 are "incremental" -- but sometimes such a difference can be crucial in a specific situation.

Of course, not everyone has been using the same room for primary listening for 35 years.

And I doubt any of this will have any bearing on the OP's question.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #6028 of 7286 Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

In my room, from long experience, I know that being able to cross over the front three channels at 80Hz or lower is very important. Because it's a relatively small room, with an open back, and we sit close to the speakers, three units that are as near identical as possible with a low enough crossover that there's no chance of localization in the sub (which is much farther away from the listener, by necessity; there's only one place it can go), is what works best.

Because the room is so small (13x15x9) we need small speakers, but because the room is carpeted and full of big upholstered furniture it soaks up sound and needs relatively sensitive ones to produce high SPLs.

That's why we chose ProCinemas, and particularly a PC1000/2000 setup. They work well as near-field monitors, and support an 80Hz crossover at high volume without strain. The 800s would have mandated a 100Hz crossover, a point where we do occasionally start to hear the sub as a separate source.

The crossover that is best is affected quite a bit by the room, speaker and listening location and not so much by speaker model IMHO.

My experience with dual matching subs is the crossover can go over 100hz and you have no clue at all where the bass is coming from and so it seems to be from any speaker in the room making a corresponding sound. Best investment in audio I ever made.
post #6029 of 7286 Old 05-09-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Todd, you can run conduit to any area where you plan to run speakers or components. You then pull the wire through the conduit, and if you need another type of wire someday, it's easy to pull it. This is especially true if you have a keypad location, which it sounds at the moment like you do not. But you may want one in the future for lighting control, etc. You do have the ethernet router connecting to that room, so that's a natural place to run conduit. Regarding your lack of symmetry question with the wall opening, that lack will affect any speaker you put there, so my thougth was to go with the best you can in that location. Openings tend to bleed bass out of a system, so having a more bass capable speaker there might make sense. I hope this helps! Best, Joe

Thanks Joe, any and all input is appreciated. I'll be making my choices at the builders design center in a few hours. I'm usually a bigger advocate of moving the speakers and listening for yourself in the space they're going to be used in rather than strictly adhering rules of thumb. So this will be a bit of a leap of faith.

I will have conduit used as much as budget allows. I assume the larger diameter the better. I will have them add enough slack to the runs for the tower speakers so if I decide to run wire higher up the wall for the pm1000's, I can easily do so.
post #6030 of 7286 Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:

Hi Ple, I think Todd's question is, are you dissatisfied with the bass response? Do you feel that you would like more deep bass slam on really impactful movie tracks? If so, then start with the sub. The ProMonitor 1000's would be a bit fuller on voices and music. If you primarily watch movies, the center channel is the most important speaker in the bunch, as it is the main dialog vehicle. So if that's your dissatisfaction, then start there. Also - if it doesn't sound full to you, maybe you are sitting in a null. Can you change your listening position a bit? I hope this helps - Best regards, Joe

Hi Joe, For the most part I'm satisfied with the ProCinema 800 especially for movies. When it comes to music I feel that it sounds a bit hollow, and doesn't quite fill the room. I've gone on the Denon forum for my receiver (I have the AVR 1912) and made suggested adjustments for music which has helped. The other part to this is from reading the forums I've begun to question whether I properly sized the system for the size room it's in 26x14.5 with 7.5ft ceiling. I'm new to all of this and have begun to hit the forums to learn as much as I can. I thought I did my homework prior to making my purchase but now feel based on my readings that might not be the case in terms of the room size.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Procinema 600 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology Procinema 1000 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page