Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread - Page 202 - AVS Forum
First ... 200  201  202 203  204  ... Last
Speakers > Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread
Joe@Definitive's Avatar Joe@Definitive 07:50 AM 05-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Thanks Joe, any and all input is appreciated. I'll be making my choices at the builders design center in a few hours. I'm usually a bigger advocate of moving the speakers and listening for yourself in the space they're going to be used in rather than strictly adhering rules of thumb. So this will be a bit of a leap of faith.

I will have conduit used as much as budget allows. I assume the larger diameter the better. I will have them add enough slack to the runs for the tower speakers so if I decide to run wire higher up the wall for the pm1000's, I can easily do so.

You are Toddriffic! Yes, rules of thumb are really just guidelines when it comes to this sort of thing. Trying it out is the best way...but sometimes, you have to make a leap of faith. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Best, Joe

Joe@Definitive's Avatar Joe@Definitive 07:54 AM 05-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleibowitz View Post

Hi Joe, For the most part I'm satisfied with the ProCinema 800 especially for movies. When it comes to music I feel that it sounds a bit hollow, and doesn't quite fill the room. I've gone on the Denon forum for my receiver (I have the AVR 1912) and made suggested adjustments for music which has helped. The other part to this is from reading the forums I've begun to question whether I properly sized the system for the size room it's in 26x14.5 with 7.5ft ceiling. I'm new to all of this and have begun to hit the forums to learn as much as I can. I thought I did my homework prior to making my purchase but now feel based on my readings that might not be the case in terms of the room size.

Hello Ple, yes, that's a large room, and of course we make much bigger (and costlier) products partly because it's harder to fill a larger space. A dorm room is easier to fill that a finished basement, for sure. The 1000's go a little lower in the mids for a better blend with the bottom end than the 800's can. Also, a second subwoofer can make a massive difference in the bottom end, and even the mid-bass, if it is dialed in correctly.
I hope this helps - best, Joe
toddRiffic's Avatar toddRiffic 12:01 PM 05-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hello Ple, yes, that's a large room, and of course we make much bigger (and costlier) products partly because it's harder to fill a larger space. A dorm room is easier to fill that a finished basement, for sure. The 1000's go a little lower in the mids for a better blend with the bottom end than the 800's can. Also, a second subwoofer can make a massive difference in the bottom end, and even the mid-bass, if it is dialed in correctly.
I hope this helps - best, Joe

+1 on running two subs. They make made more of an impact for me then upgrading to towers or extra surrounds. Highly recommended.
denguz's Avatar denguz 08:23 AM 05-24-2012
Quote:

I would first confirm if you only notice the issue when watching movies with your bluray player vs cable/sat box. They key to troubleshooting is isolation.

I finally did more listening and determined that the sound fading in and out happens on either watching Blu ray or DVD and watching regular cable tx programs. I have the volume a lot higher on movies and thus I notice it more. I checked all cables HDMI and speaker cables and all seem to be firmly plugged in.

Has anyone have any advice for troubleshooting? I will post similar to the Denon AVR board as to me it may be the culprit
toddRiffic's Avatar toddRiffic 11:57 AM 05-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by denguz View Post

I finally did more listening and determined that the sound fading in and out happens on either watching Blu ray or DVD and watching regular cable tx programs. I have the volume a lot higher on movies and thus I notice it more. I checked all cables HDMI and speaker cables and all seem to be firmly plugged in.

Has anyone have any advice for troubleshooting? I will post similar to the Denon AVR board as to me it may be the culprit

Is the fade like the volume goes up and down a bit, or does it completely cut out?
denguz's Avatar denguz 05:42 AM 05-25-2012
Quote:

Is the fade like the volume goes up and down a bit, or does it completely cut out?

It seems like volume is cutting out completely for a second and then come back on.
I posted on the Denon forum and someone mentioend could be a HDMI handshake issue. I currently have all devices plugged in to the AVR and using ARC feature. I have set the Dynamic volume to OFF to see if that does anything
Joe@Definitive's Avatar Joe@Definitive 07:15 AM 05-25-2012
Quote:

It seems like volume is cutting out completely for a second and then come back on.
I posted on the Denon forum and someone mentioend could be a HDMI handshake issue. I currently have all devices plugged in to the AVR and using ARC feature. I have set the Dynamic volume to OFF to see if that does anything

Hello Denguz, as Todd mentioned, the key to troubleshooting is isolation. But it sounds like you are having this issue of volume cutting out on almost any source. It may be an HDMI issue. Are you using high speed HDMI cables? They aren't really "faster" but can handle more data. You might also try Denon's tech support or see if their site has an FAQ section. Good luck and let us know how it goes - best, Joe
toddRiffic's Avatar toddRiffic 09:48 AM 05-25-2012
Quote:

I've had zero trouble with $3 HDMI cables from amazon with my Denon 1909, but my father has issues with his newer Onkyo avr. AVS member Batpig is the resident Denon guru, he may be able to help. If you haven't done so, check out his "Denon to English dictionary" I would use rca/optical/digital coax for your audio connection to further confirm you have a HDMI issue.
toddRiffic's Avatar toddRiffic 10:51 AM 05-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hello Denguz, as Todd mentioned, the key to troubleshooting is isolation. But it sounds like you are having this issue of volume cutting out on almost any source. It may be an HDMI issue. Are you using high speed HDMI cables? They aren't really "faster" but can handle more data. You might also try Denon's tech support or see if their site has an FAQ section. Good luck and let us know how it goes - best, Joe

Good HDMI cables are a must for long runs. In the instance of short runs and multiple sources having the same issue I would tend to not suspect the cables so much. But I've been wrong at least a couple times in my life.

HDMI can be tricky in my experience. I have three Sony bluray players and my new one that's a few months old is the only one that I ever experience a occasional audio and video drop out. The oldest one it replaced never had the issue with the same cables and connected equipment. Hopefully the newest firmware I saw available yesterday will resolve the issue.

Side note: Sad day, I packed up 10 DT's and 2 subs not to be heard from again for 2-3 months while I wait at the in-laws place for the new house to be finished. Of course if Joe and the other good people at Definitive would like to send a temporary care package of the new studio monitors to swap out for my father un-law's PSB's I would be very grateful!
Joe@Definitive's Avatar Joe@Definitive 08:51 AM 05-29-2012
Quote:

Good HDMI cables are a must for long runs. In the instance of short runs and multiple sources having the same issue I would tend to not suspect the cables so much. But I've been wrong at least a couple times in my life.

HDMI can be tricky in my experience. I have three Sony bluray players and my new one that's a few months old is the only one that I ever experience a occasional audio and video drop out. The oldest one it replaced never had the issue with the same cables and connected equipment. Hopefully the newest firmware I saw available yesterday will resolve the issue.

Side note: Sad day, I packed up 10 DT's and 2 subs not to be heard from again for 2-3 months while I wait at the in-laws place for the new house to be finished. Of course if Joe and the other good people at Definitive would like to send a temporary care package of the new studio monitors to swap out for my father un-law's PSB's I would be very grateful!

Good one Todd! Patience, patience...
pleibowitz's Avatar pleibowitz 09:49 AM 06-01-2012
Just curious, does any one know if Definitive Technology is discontinuing the Procinema line? I went on to Newegg.com this morning and the Procinema 800 pkg was "deactivated" on their online catalogue with the message, "the item is currently out of stock, and may or may not be restocked".
W2GOD's Avatar W2GOD 12:35 PM 06-02-2012
Ok this is a rookie question I have a 7.1 setup . I have 6 DEFTECH 1000's. Center is a pro2000. Sub is a prosub1000. Now I want to make sure my speaker setup is right . During a movie that is only played in 5.1 . I notice that sound does not come out from the surround back left and the surround back right . and does come from the surround left and surround right and of course the front left and right and center and sub are fine . now I know it's not using all 7 speakers because if it's only using 5.1 soundtrack but I want to make sure this is correct or in a 5.1 sound track should it use the surround back left and surround back right. And the left surround and right surround have no audio . I wanna make sure I put my speaker wires in the right inputs on the receiver . thanks
rdclark's Avatar rdclark 05:11 PM 06-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2GOD View Post

Ok this is a rookie question I have a 7.1 setup . I have 6 DEFTECH 1000's. Center is a pro2000. Sub is a prosub1000. Now I want to make sure my speaker setup is right . During a movie that is only played in 5.1 . I notice that sound does not come out from the surround back left and the surround back right . and does come from the surround left and surround right and of course the front left and right and center and sub are fine . now I know it's not using all 7 speakers because if it's only using 5.1 soundtrack but I want to make sure this is correct or in a 5.1 sound track should it use the surround back left and surround back right. And the left surround and right surround have no audio . I wanna make sure I put my speaker wires in the right inputs on the receiver . thanks

In 5.1, the channels are L, C, R, surround L and surround R. The "Back" or "Rear" (or "front height" or "front wide") are the channels added for 7.1.

Usually in your setup you would use Dolby ProLogic IIx. In a 7.1 movie this will put all channels to the correct speakers. In a 5.1 movie the receiver will create matrixed sound for the "back" channels so they are not completely silent. I think you'll find that this is most people's default configuration.
W2GOD's Avatar W2GOD 06:20 PM 06-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

In 5.1, the channels are L, C, R, surround L and surround R. The "Back" or "Rear" (or "front height" or "front wide") are the channels added for 7.1.

Usually in your setup you would use Dolby ProLogic IIx. In a 7.1 movie this will put all channels to the correct speakers. In a 5.1 movie the receiver will create matrixed sound for the "back" channels so they are not completely silent. I think you'll find that this is most people's default configuration.

Thank you !!!! So I got it right lol, thanks for the info I thought I was doing something wrong!!!!
Joe@Definitive's Avatar Joe@Definitive 08:47 AM 06-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleibowitz View Post

Just curious, does any one know if Definitive Technology is discontinuing the Procinema line? I went on to Newegg.com this morning and the Procinema 800 pkg was "deactivated" on their online catalogue with the message, "the item is currently out of stock, and may or may not be restocked".

Hello Ple, the ProCinema 800 series absolutely is current and continuing! We sell loads of them - which goes for the rest of the ProCinema series too. We do however sell them to dealers as either a fully packaged system, or as individual parts and pieces. Sometimes folks want bigger L&R, or a better sub (or twin subs), etc. So maybe they are discontinuing the package and will offer it as separates. Best, Joe
ben_r_'s Avatar ben_r_ 11:38 AM 06-06-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hello Ple, the ProCinema 800 series absolutely is current and continuing! We sell loads of them - which goes for the rest of the ProCinema series too. We do however sell them to dealers as either a fully packaged system, or as individual parts and pieces. Sometimes folks want bigger L&R, or a better sub (or twin subs), etc. So maybe they are discontinuing the package and will offer it as separates. Best, Joe
On that note I will say I upgraded my the ProMonitor 800's I was using for L and R in my office surround sound system to the ProMonitor 1000's and it was a considerable improvement in sound. So much so that Im considering upgrading my ProCenter 1000 to the 2000 as well in that room.
DenonRCDN7Owner's Avatar DenonRCDN7Owner 05:06 PM 06-12-2012
Quote:

On this note - I have been wondering if we would see an update to the ProMonitor 1000 & 800 speakers to match the form factor of the new ProCinema 400 series. Any insights?
Raym1234's Avatar Raym1234 06:15 AM 06-13-2012
I will be using a new AVR that has Audyssey XT32 with my ProCinema 80 system. What volume level and crossover point should I initially set the sub to before running the Audyssey setup? Also, should I use the sub's L/R inputs or the LFE input? Thanks in advance to the forum members for any guidance you can provide this relative newbie.
Joe@Definitive's Avatar Joe@Definitive 08:32 AM 06-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonRCDN7Owner View Post

On this note - I have been wondering if we would see an update to the ProMonitor 1000 & 800 speakers to match the form factor of the new ProCinema 400 series. Any insights?

Hello Den, at present we are not planning any changes to the ProCinema 800 / 1000 series. They are really selling well and, I think, represent great value in the category. We are hot after a couple of new things in other areas though... so stay tuned! Best, Joe
Joe@Definitive's Avatar Joe@Definitive 08:42 AM 06-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym1234 View Post

I will be using a new AVR that has Audyssey XT32 with my ProCinema 80 system. What volume level and crossover point should I initially set the sub to before running the Audyssey setup? Also, should I use the sub's L/R inputs or the LFE input? Thanks in advance to the forum members for any guidance you can provide this relative newbie.
Hello Raym,
I am glad you have the ProCinema 80 system. If you use the LFE input on that system you will not have to worry about crossover point, as the LFE bypasses the crossover inside the sub. Even if you use the L/R we urge you to take the crossover all the way up to 150 in order to get it out of the way of your receiver's crossover. The sub crossover settings are really there for a 2 channel set-up in which the receiver or amp has no crossover. I hope this helps! Best, Joe
Raym1234's Avatar Raym1234 03:02 AM 06-15-2012
Thank you, Joe, for this information. Do you have any suggestions what gain (volume) I should set the sub to prior to starting the AVR setup?
Joe@Definitive's Avatar Joe@Definitive 08:49 AM 06-15-2012
Quote:

Thank you, Joe, for this information. Do you have any suggestions what gain (volume) I should set the sub to prior to starting the AVR setup?
Hello Raym, good question, and I see that I missed it before. Sorry about that. The key is to have the subwoofer up high enough to where the auto-on function works every time. I suggest you start at 12:00 on the clock face (or half-way up). Some folks try turning the sub virtually all the way up, and the receiver responds by setting the sub level to minus 12 or 15. So then the sub's level is low enough that auto turn on doesn't work consistently. Oops! I hope this helps - best regards, Joe
zibanez's Avatar zibanez 07:41 AM 07-01-2012
Hi guys, Just got my procinema 600 , all the way from USA to Indonesia. And thanks God, when I open the box, makes setup and YES its working!!
Right now . i'm still trying to set the crossover same problem with Raym123. BTW i'm using Marantz NR 1402 for receiver. Is there any recommendation crossover setting for pro cinema 600 set up?
Thank for advice
Raym1234's Avatar Raym1234 12:13 PM 07-01-2012
I set up my new receiver using Joe's recommended settings for the sub (i.e, used the LFE input which bypasses the crossover and set the volume at the 12 o'clock position). The receiver set itself up without any problems and the sound is fantastic.
Joe@Definitive's Avatar Joe@Definitive 07:28 AM 07-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibanez View Post

Hi guys, Just got my procinema 600 , all the way from USA to Indonesia. And thanks God, when I open the box, makes setup and YES its working!!
Right now . i'm still trying to set the crossover same problem with Raym123. BTW i'm using Marantz NR 1402 for receiver. Is there any recommendation crossover setting for pro cinema 600 set up?
Thank for advice
Hello Zibanez, did the response I gave Raym make sense or help you? If you can be more specific with your question I am glad to help. Best regards, Joe
zibanez's Avatar zibanez 11:23 PM 07-02-2012
Quote:

I set up my new receiver using Joe's recommended settings for the sub (i.e, used the LFE input which bypasses the crossover and set the volume at the 12 o'clock position). The receiver set itself up without any problems and the sound is fantastic.

Quote:

Hello Zibanez, did the response I gave Raym make sense or help you? If you can be more specific with your question I am glad to help. Best regards, Joe

Yes, I've tried and the result still not good enough. So i fine tune it manually based on the receiver set. And right now this is my crossover setting :

Front 90Hz
Center 150Hz
Rear 90HZ

Next problem is Bass Management on my receiver. Right now for Bass Management setting ,i'm choosing LFE+main and LFE at 120HZ
Is it right ? or maybe you got any recommendation Joe?
FYI I'm using method 1 for Speaker connection with speaker configuration on receiver, Large front, small center, small rear, and subwoofer
Joe@Definitive's Avatar Joe@Definitive 08:52 AM 07-03-2012
Quote:

Yes, I've tried and the result still not good enough. So i fine tune it manually based on the receiver set. And right now this is my crossover setting :
Front 90Hz
Center 150Hz
Rear 90HZ
Next problem is Bass Management on my receiver. Right now for Bass Management setting ,i'm choosing LFE+main and LFE at 120HZ
Is it right ? or maybe you got any recommendation Joe?
FYI I'm using method 1 for Speaker connection with speaker configuration on receiver, Large front, small center, small rear, and subwoofer
Hello ZiIbanez, the 90 Hz crossover points make sense to me, although our customer service gents suggest that 120 may be better. If you like the sound at 90, great.
The 150 Hz crossover point seems a bit high for the center. Have you also tried it at 120? If it sounds better to you at 150, fair enough.
LFE at 120 is also just about right. I hope this helps - best, Joe
zibanez's Avatar zibanez 12:06 AM 07-04-2012
Quote:

Hello ZiIbanez, the 90 Hz crossover points make sense to me, although our customer service gents suggest that 120 may be better. If you like the sound at 90, great.
The 150 Hz crossover point seems a bit high for the center. Have you also tried it at 120? If it sounds better to you at 150, fair enough.
LFE at 120 is also just about right. I hope this helps - best, Joe

Ok, i'll try your suggestion. BTW, should I set the crossover again if change my speaker connections?
Example : from method 1 to method 1 with optional hooks up or from method 1 to method 2
Joe@Definitive's Avatar Joe@Definitive 10:45 AM 07-05-2012
Quote:

Ok, i'll try your suggestion. BTW, should I set the crossover again if change my speaker connections?
Example : from method 1 to method 1 with optional hooks up or from method 1 to method 2
Hello Z, yes, I would try it again if you change speaker connections. Not sure why you'd do that, but it always makes sense to try more than 1 crossover point. Thanks again for owning DT - best, Joe
zibanez's Avatar zibanez 09:34 PM 07-05-2012
Quote:

Hello Z, yes, I would try it again if you change speaker connections. Not sure why you'd do that, but it always makes sense to try more than 1 crossover point. Thanks again for owning DT - best, Joe

I'm just curious Joe : ). Thanks for the response Joe. And right now I already got the sweet spot for crossover. I hope in the future there will be International Distributor for Def Tech product in Indonesia. So i don't have to ordered from US again. I'm very satisfied for Pro Cinema 600.
Tags: Definitive Technology Procinema 600 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology Procinema 1000 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology
First ... 200  201  202 203  204  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop