Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread - Page 244 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #7291 of 7294 Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Receiver choice

Hi All,
I am a new member of this forum. Thanks for the tons of information in this thread - I went through the first 90 pages during the last couple of weeks and still continuing

I have a ~13x18 room with 8ft ceiling where I am putting a 110-inch projector screen and 5.1 sound. It isn't a dedicated home theater room - I avoided going for floorstanding or bigger speakers so that kids don't bump into them while playing. Planning to go for this configuration for the speakers:
1. Promonitor 1000 for Front L/R (already bought)
2. Procenter 2000 (already bought)
3. PL-200 subwoofer (already bought)
4. Promonitor 800 for rear surround (to be bought next month)

I have a question related to AV receiver choice. My budget for the receiver is <$300. Last month, I bought a Denon s500BT receiver after seeing that it has bluetooth and because of Denon reputation. Now when I started going through this thread, I found discussions on Audyssey - which this receiver doesn't have. I am thinking if I should forget about bluetooth (as I'll be mostly watching moves 80% of the time) and go for Denon AVR-e300 which is also in my budget. Today is the last day I can return s500bt. The e300 doesn't have bluetooth but has airplay. It has the Audyssey that everyone talks about and has slightly more power wattage than s500bt. I don't care about the 4K passthrough at present but need 3D passthrough.

Any other recommendations will also be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7294 Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmat123 View Post
Hi All,
I am a new member of this forum. Thanks for the tons of information in this thread - I went through the first 90 pages during the last couple of weeks and still continuing

I have a ~13x18 room with 8ft ceiling where I am putting a 110-inch projector screen and 5.1 sound. It isn't a dedicated home theater room - I avoided going for floorstanding or bigger speakers so that kids don't bump into them while playing. Planning to go for this configuration for the speakers:
1. Promonitor 1000 for Front L/R (already bought)
2. Procenter 2000 (already bought)
3. PL-200 subwoofer (already bought)
4. Promonitor 800 for rear surround (to be bought next month)

I have a question related to AV receiver choice. My budget for the receiver is <$300. Last month, I bought a Denon s500BT receiver after seeing that it has bluetooth and because of Denon reputation. Now when I started going through this thread, I found discussions on Audyssey - which this receiver doesn't have. I am thinking if I should forget about bluetooth (as I'll be mostly watching moves 80% of the time) and go for Denon AVR-e300 which is also in my budget. Today is the last day I can return s500bt. The e300 doesn't have bluetooth but has airplay. It has the Audyssey that everyone talks about and has slightly more power wattage than s500bt. I don't care about the 4K passthrough at present but need 3D passthrough.

Any other recommendations will also be appreciated.
I highly recommend audyssey.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre400/denon-avr-e400-7.1-4k-3d-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html
post #7293 of 7294 Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmat123 View Post
Hi All,

Room correction such as Audyssey is useful. Its impact is less in smaller rooms where listeners are not far from the speakers, where everything is symmetrical, and where there's a lot of upholstery, carpeting, and other sound-deadening material so that most of what listeners hear is direct, rather than reflected sound. This doesn't apply to low frequencies, however. And in such a room, you'll need more amplifier power than you would in a more resonant space... and power is where an entry level receiver with no room correction is going to be weakest.

Audyssey and more power. There are other ways to add BT later.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #7294 of 7294 Old Today, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks guys. I returned my s500BT yesterday and ordered Denon AVR-e400 today from accessories4less

Last edited by pmat123; Today at 10:00 AM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Procinema 600 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology Procinema 1000 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page