Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread - Page 252 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #7531 of 7535 Old 12-24-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I just upgraded to a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system layout with the Denon receiver. My side surround speakers are dipole speakers that I've been using for years for surround. I understand dipole speakers are not a good choice for surrounds in an Atmos set up due to their negative impact on the up firing Atmos add-on modules performance. I've decided to replace them with some direct firing speakers. Due to my room layout and doors and wall shelves my choices are pretty limited to the speakers I can use to replace my current surrounds (it's a size location thing). I've been looking around and ran across the Promonitor 800s that seem to fit the bill due to their small size.

My question is do you think these speakers could perform okay handling a frequency down to 80hz? I notice that Definitive Technology has a recommended A/V receiver crossover setting of 100hz even though their frequency range is listed at 57 Hz - 30 kHz. I'm aware that measurement is measured in and an anechoic chamber setting as opposed to an average room at home. Any information you can provide is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7532 of 7535 Old 12-24-2015, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have my PM800s crossed over at 100hz, the setting picked by the AVR when using YPAO. Sounds fine to me. They really aren't very big drivers so I think 100hz is appropriate.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Daryl L likes this.
post #7533 of 7535 Old 12-28-2015, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have an older Mythos set, but they aren't wife friendly. I'm thinking of migrating from an in-ceiling system to ProCinema 1000 for the L/R. Would the Mythos 3 I currently own work as a center channel? Would there be any benefit from using the ProCinema 2000 in place of the Mythos 3?
post #7534 of 7535 Old 12-28-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeinck View Post
I have an older Mythos set, but they aren't wife friendly. I'm thinking of migrating from an in-ceiling system to ProCinema 1000 for the L/R. Would the Mythos 3 I currently own work as a center channel? Would there be any benefit from using the ProCinema 2000 in place of the Mythos 3?
Honestly, just buy the Fronts and give it a try, I have a Three and it is a surprisingly full sounding center, if it sounds off to you, then go to the PC2000. (Not 1000)

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 12-29-2015 at 09:04 AM.
post #7535 of 7535 Old 12-29-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
I just upgraded to a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system layout with the Denon receiver. My side surround speakers are dipole speakers that I've been using for years for surround. I understand dipole speakers are not a good choice for surrounds in an Atmos set up due to their negative impact on the up firing Atmos add-on modules performance. I've decided to replace them with some direct firing speakers. Due to my room layout and doors and wall shelves my choices are pretty limited to the speakers I can use to replace my current surrounds (it's a size location thing). I've been looking around and ran across the Promonitor 800s that seem to fit the bill due to their small size.

My question is do you think these speakers could perform okay handling a frequency down to 80hz? I notice that Definitive Technology has a recommended A/V receiver crossover setting of 100hz even though their frequency range is listed at 57 Hz - 30 kHz. I'm aware that measurement is measured in and an anechoic chamber setting as opposed to an average room at home. Any information you can provide is appreciated.
Hi i have the 800's in surround and crossover set to 80hz, and they sound terrific in that role, you will be actually surprised at the bass these small speakers can produce.

Actually my surround 800's were sounding better than my Front 1000's, until I set the fronts to Large, and the Aud. setting to L/R Bypass.

Samsung UN65JS8500 TV, Denon S710W Dolby Atmos 5.2.2, DTSX Receiver, Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Fronts), ProCenter 2000 (Center), ProMonitor 800's (Surround), MAudio 300w Subwoofer. Sony BDPS6500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Procinema 600 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology Procinema 1000 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology