Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread - Page 253 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #7561 of 7581 Old 04-21-2016, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with Pro cinema system

Hey, I have an existing surround system which has Pro center 100, two front pro 100's and two rear 80's. I want to put in Towers for the fronts but my wife is heavily opposed to the idea so to keep peace I am thinking of sticking with the Pro Cinema Speakers. For a center, was thinking the Pro 2000 or the def tech 2002. The fronts and backs would be the Pro 1000's. The room size is 22' x 22'. All of the speakers are hanging from the ceiling and pointed down. I need your thoughts on this plan, is this system going to sound good for the size of the room. Also, I need advise on a good Sub and a good receiver for the system that will pass through 4k and all the latest technology. I want a good quality system and willing to pay more to get it. Hoping to get best bang for the buck. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 7581 Old 04-21-2016, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1toppump View Post
Hey, I have an existing surround system which has Pro center 100, two front pro 100's and two rear 80's. I want to put in Towers for the fronts but my wife is heavily opposed to the idea so to keep peace I am thinking of sticking with the Pro Cinema Speakers. For a center, was thinking the Pro 2000 or the def tech 2002. The fronts and backs would be the Pro 1000's. The room size is 22' x 22'. All of the speakers are hanging from the ceiling and pointed down. I need your thoughts on this plan, is this system going to sound good for the size of the room. Also, I need advise on a good Sub and a good receiver for the system that will pass through 4k and all the latest technology. I want a good quality system and willing to pay more to get it. Hoping to get best bang for the buck. Thanks
As far as the speakers go, if you have to hang them, then the PM1000's would be your best choice, if you could go to stands, I'd say look into the Studio Monitor line.

Centers - Either of those centers would work, personally I think the CLR2002 has a slightly fuller sound but the PC2000 is an exact aesthetic match.

Receivers - the 4 biggies right now are Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & Onkyo, you need to decide exactly which features are impotent to you, how many channels you want and would you ever want immersive audio, these are the important things, don't get caught up in how much power a certain receiver has, it's actually the least important factor of any receiver that is more than entry level.

Sub(s) - also need to know ceiling height, if the room is open (can't be closed off with a door) to any other rooms and how many seats (coverage wise) are "important" to you to get the proper bass. Usually if you only care about one seat (or two next to each other) you can get by with one, but my room is close to that same size and I'll warn you now, your most likely looking at 2 Subs, because if you only wanted one it would have to be pretty large.
Laika likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #7563 of 7581 Old 04-22-2016, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1toppump View Post
Subs - look at Rythmik subs. Top notch. Great sound and great customer service.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #7564 of 7581 Old 04-25-2016, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have been lurking in this forum and reading up on the DefTech's.

A couple years ago I bought an ONKYO Home theater in the box, mainly did it for the receiver with is a TX - NR609, and I already spent a ton on a 60" Panasonic ST-50

I have been satisfied with the speakers as I have always had them in a room without carpet. Since moving to my new house, I have carpet and the speakers are located slightly higher above me, and I feel they lost their punch.

Basically, I have a TV wall mounted above my mantle, on the mantle and below the TV is the Center and on the Left and Right on the mantle is the L/R on the side of the TV. the Surrounds are located to the left and right on the end tables. Between them is the Sofa, to the right and left is a love seat and chair. Normally while watching movies we sit on the couch so in the center of all of the speakers. Room size is 20' feet wide and 12 feet away from the TV. then the room opens up to the rest of the house.

Recently, my center channel has finally given out. After much research I went with a PC1000. Mainly because of the size, the height, but awesome reviews it had. Also had to make sure it was wife approved....as it is our main living area and she is use to the onkyo sized speakers. Since it is mounted below the TV I was concerned with height, a PC 2000 would have been to tall and would have been in the line of sight of the TV.

After having the PC1000 setup for a few days it sounds great, and is set at a 80Hz crossover. I did so the Audessy setup and originally had the speaker at 60Hz crossover.

Now I am hooked and want to upgrade the satellites. After much reading I would probably go with a PM800 for all 4 corners due to the size of the woofers and making sure they are all matched to the PC1000.

However I would like to have two PM1000 for the Front L/R and 2 PM 800's for the surrounds. Would it be worth it to have two 1000's instead of the 800's.

I found out about BajaWaverunner on Ebay through this forum and will be ordering from him.

Eventually I would like I get a supercube 2000.

Suggestions? how would this setup be?
post #7565 of 7581 Old 04-25-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by as3.0cl View Post

A couple years ago I bought an ONKYO Home theater in the box, mainly did it for the receiver with is a TX - NR609, and I already spent a ton on a 60" Panasonic ST-50

I have been satisfied with the speakers as I have always had them in a room without carpet. Since moving to my new house, I have carpet and the speakers are located slightly higher above me, and I feel they lost their punch.

Basically, I have a TV wall mounted above my mantle, on the mantle and below the TV is the Center and on the Left and Right on the mantle is the L/R on the side of the TV. the Surrounds are located to the left and right on the end tables. Between them is the Sofa, to the right and left is a love seat and chair. Normally while watching movies we sit on the couch so in the center of all of the speakers. Room size is 20' feet wide and 12 feet away from the TV. then the room opens up to the rest of the house.

Recently, my center channel has finally given out. After much research I went with a PC1000. Mainly because of the size, the height, but awesome reviews it had. Also had to make sure it was wife approved....as it is our main living area and she is use to the onkyo sized speakers. Since it is mounted below the TV I was concerned with height, a PC 2000 would have been to tall and would have been in the line of sight of the TV.

After having the PC1000 setup for a few days it sounds great, and is set at a 80Hz crossover. I did so the Audessy setup and originally had the speaker at 60Hz crossover.

Now I am hooked and want to upgrade the satellites. After much reading I would probably go with a PM800 for all 4 corners due to the size of the woofers and making sure they are all matched to the PC1000.

However I would like to have two PM1000 for the Front L/R and 2 PM 800's for the surrounds. Would it be worth it to have two 1000's instead of the 800's.

I found out about BajaWaverunner on Ebay through this forum and will be ordering from him.

IMO, definitely get the 1000's over the 800's for your Fronts, they are a much filter sounding speaker and would also transition nicely to surround duty should you later upgrade further to Studio Monitors down the road.

Subs, when you're ready to get a new sub get with us, Subs can make the greatest overall improvement to a system and the experience overall, your room itself will play the largest part in this, so when the time comes we'll need to know cubic feet and about any other connected spaces, but we can go over it with you then.
But... Don't worry about buying a DefTech Sub, first off, Subs are the one thing in your system that doesn't need to match at all, secondly, while DefTech subs work fine, there are many better Bang-4-Buck options out there, I wouldn't look at a DefTech Sub unless you could find one for 50% or less of M.S.R.P., and even then please come and ask us first.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
post #7566 of 7581 Old 04-25-2016, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

The 800's are a driver match for the PC1000 you have. If wanting to have the PM1000's for the L/R it would be a better driver match to have the PC2000. The 800's would be just fine for surround duty.

Last edited by discone; 04-28-2016 at 06:10 AM.
post #7567 of 7581 Old 04-25-2016, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

As someone who just upgraded some old JBL speakers to two PM1000's for the front and two PM800's for the rear I would advise to just go with the 1000's all the way around. This doesn't mean I am dissatisfied with the 800's, just that the 1000's are great.

And I also bought from baja. All speakers looked pristine.
post #7568 of 7581 Old 04-25-2016, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post
As someone who just upgraded some old JBL speakers to two PM1000's for the front and two PM800's for the rear I would advise to just go with the 1000's all the way around. This doesn't mean I am dissatisfied with the 800's, just that the 1000's are great.

And I also bought from baja. All speakers looked pristine.
I may just get all 4 all the way around. I was going to buy 2 first and keep my surround rears, then buy 2 more in a few weeks/month and slowly upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
The 800's are a timber match for the PC1000 you have. If wanting to have the PM1000's for the L/R it would be a better timber match to have the PC2000. You want to try and have a matching front stage as most sound is coming from there. The 800's would be just fine for surround duty.
I would have liked to timber match, but the PC2000 is just to big and cuts into the eyeline of the TV. Plus I couldn't up to a 65 on my wall which would hang slightly lower than what I have now. Looking in a few years to upgrade to a 4K.

How much does timber match really matter between the 80 and 1000's i would think it would be minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
IMO, definitely get the 1000's over the 800's for your Fronts, they are a much filter sounding speaker and would also transition nicely to surround duty should you later upgrade further to Studio Monitors down the road.

Subs, when you're ready to get a new sub get with us, Subs can make the greatest overall improvement to a system and the experience overall, your room itself will play the largest part in this, so when the time comes we'll need to know cubic feet and about any other connected spaces, but we can go over it with you then.
But... Don't worry about buying a DefTech Sub, first off, Subs are the one thing in your system that doesn't need to match at all, secondly, while DefTech subs work fine, there are many better Bang-4-Buck options out there, I wouldn't look at a DefTech Sub unless you could find one for 50% or less of M.S.R.P., and even then please come and ask us first.
I think the PM1000's might be as far as I go, need it to be aesthetically pleasing.

I guess shortly i will come back and ask for suggestions on a SUB for the space I have.
post #7569 of 7581 Old 04-25-2016, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I may just get all 4 all the way around. I was going to buy 2 first and keep my surround rears, then buy 2 more in a few weeks/month and slowly upgrade.

I would have liked to timber match, but the PC2000 is just to big and cuts into the eyeline of the TV. Plus I couldn't up to a 65 on my wall which would hang slightly lower than what I have now. Looking in a few years to upgrade to a 4K.

How much does timber match really matter between the 80 and 1000's i would think it would be minimal.

I think the PM1000's might be as far as I go, need it to be aesthetically pleasing.

I guess shortly i will come back and ask for suggestions on a SUB for the space I have.
Don't worry about the 2000, yes it is a better Center, but you can't make it work, you can't make it work. And the 2000 would be the Driver match not timbre match, all of DefTech's speakers timbre match across all the different series, so no worries there.
And yes, if you can go with all 4 1000's, would be a good option for sure.

My Build Thread:
post #7570 of 7581 Old 04-26-2016, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Don't worry about the 2000, yes it is a better Center, but you can't make it work, you can't make it work. And the 2000 would be the Driver match not timbre match, all of DefTech's speakers timbre match across all the different series, so no worries there.
And yes, if you can go with all 4 1000's, would be a good option for sure.
Thank's for the catch! I miss spoke and got my info crossed from two different size drivers ( 4 1/2"-5 1/4" ) vs mixing two different speaker brands.
post #7571 of 7581 Old 04-26-2016, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

Subs - Rythmik, SVS, Outlaw, HSU.....Def Tech subs are blah compared to the subs I have listed.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #7572 of 7581 Old 04-27-2016, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Anyone ever run a PC2000 as center paired with PM800 for L/R? Since the majority of movie sound comes out of the center channel, then shouldn't that combo sound ok?

In my new place, I have room for a larger center speaker but only room to continue using my PM800s for L/R on stands.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by Cla55clown; 04-28-2016 at 07:20 PM.
post #7573 of 7581 Old 05-21-2016, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sorry for shameless plugin...
I have listed my Procenter 2000 and a pair of Promonitor 800s for sale in the classifieds section.
post #7574 of 7581 Old 05-22-2016, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
Anyone ever run a PC2000 as center paired with PM800 for L/R? Since the majority of movie sound comes out of the center channel, then shouldn't that combo sound ok?

In my new place, I have room for a larger center speaker but only room to continue using my PM800s for L/R on stands.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
It works. I had the same setup before switching them for two PC2000 for my left and right speakers. I switched them out due to a much larger room in a new home.
post #7575 of 7581 Old 06-10-2016, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmat123 View Post
Sorry for shameless plugin...
I have listed my Procenter 2000 and a pair of Promonitor 800s for sale in the classifieds section.
Same here I also have some Pro Monitor 1000s for sale in the Classified section.
post #7576 of 7581 Old 07-29-2016, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone
I bought a few months ago Yamaha RX-V479 receiver and Klipsch HD-500 5.1 set , recently I bought Def tech promonitor1000 to replace Klipsck's front small satellite speakers .
When I used the auto calibration YAPO of yamaha , it detect that the front speakers are set to large .
Is it ok to keep them like that , or ignore the receiver setting and set them to small ?
What crossover frequency do you recommend to be set ?
Thanks
post #7577 of 7581 Old 07-29-2016, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnank View Post
Hi everyone
I bought a few months ago Yamaha RX-V479 receiver and Klipsch HD-500 5.1 set , recently I bought Def tech promonitor1000 to replace Klipsck's front small satellite speakers .
When I used the auto calibration YAPO of yamaha , it detect that the front speakers are set to large .
Is it ok to keep them like that , or ignore the receiver setting and set them to small ?
What crossover frequency do you recommend to be set ?
Thanks
If you have a dedicated sub, I would probably set them to small and a crossover of 80Hz to start. The promonitors are good speakers, but not quite full-range (capable of producing 20Hz-20kHz), which is what the "large" is referring to. Setting them to small will also give your amplifier more headroom for your speakers (less stress, essentially) as lower bass notes take more power to produce and is why most people have a dedicated powered subwoofer.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 106" 0.8 Gain Monoprice Multi-format Screen, Darbee, PS4, w/ Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, NAD C370 (for Front L/R), SVS PB-2000, SVS PC-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, 2 SM55 for sides, and 2 PM1000 for rears.
post #7578 of 7581 Old 07-30-2016, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
If you have a dedicated sub, I would probably set them to small and a crossover of 80Hz to start. The promonitors are good speakers, but not quite full-range (capable of producing 20Hz-20kHz), which is what the "large" is referring to. Setting them to small will also give your amplifier more headroom for your speakers (less stress, essentially) as lower bass notes take more power to produce and is why most people have a dedicated powered subwoofer.
I set them to small and the crossover on 80Hz , i am using the klipsch's old set subwoofer , it is not very powerfull but it is more than enough form my room .
Thanks , appreciate your advice
post #7579 of 7581 Old 07-30-2016, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Love them!

What I like most guys when shopping for a new surround sound system and spent way more than I should have. I ended up going with it Definitive Technology bp9060 Towers for the front the matching Center Channel and Mythos gems for the rear. All to be powered by Yamaha 2060 receiver.

Finally after running new wire banana plugs mounting the rear speakers and fine-tuning everything I literally couldn't be happier with my purchase. Even the girl can't believe how good they sound and picked up a movie to watch tonight.

If anybody is even thinking of these speakers I would definitely not think twice they may be a little on the pricey side but like everything in life you get what you pay for.

Brandon
post #7580 of 7581 Old 07-30-2016, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon3_16 View Post
What I like most guys when shopping for a new surround sound system and spent way more than I should have. I ended up going with it Definitive Technology bp9060 Towers for the front the matching Center Channel and Mythos gems for the rear. All to be powered by Yamaha 2060 receiver.

Finally after running new wire banana plugs mounting the rear speakers and fine-tuning everything I literally couldn't be happier with my purchase. Even the girl can't believe how good they sound and picked up a movie to watch tonight.

If anybody is even thinking of these speakers I would definitely not think twice they may be a little on the pricey side but like everything in life you get what you pay for.

Brandon
Sorry guys wrong thread, please delete
post #7581 of 7581 Old 09-13-2016, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Hey all, if anyone is interested I'm selling three pairs of pm800's all in perfect condition. Also have two pairs of matching Def Tech stands.
Pm for details thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Procinema 600 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology Procinema 1000 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page