Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
Speakers > Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread
Geoff_L's Avatar Geoff_L 08:55 AM 04-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitabh9 View Post

i think i am going to try and place it just above the tv.. and point it down towards the audience.

Based on what I remember and what you've said, that sounds like your best bet. I believe the mounts I used can be ceiling mounted as well. If not, I know the OmniMount 20's can. Like I've said before, although the placement is not ideal, it still sounds incredible. For some/many of us, there needs to be a balance between sound quality and appearance. I'm sure you will find it soon. Good luck and make sure to post some pictures when you are done.

RaginCajun92's Avatar RaginCajun92 01:17 PM 04-04-2008
I am midway through a peace meal speaker upgrade. I had an Onkyo HTIB system which I eventually replaced the AVR with a Yamaha 661. The Onkyo speakers were decent but after upgrading the center channel to a Pro Center 1000 and the front L/R channels to ProMonitor 800's I can tell a big difference! The sound is much cleaner and crisper and adds more depth. So far I'm impressed. I can't wait to upgrade the rears and backs!

What do you think of going with ProMonitor 800's for the L/R surrounds and 600's for the backs?
Plex's Avatar Plex 04:10 PM 04-04-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCajun92 View Post

I am midway through a peace meal speaker upgrade. I had an Onkyo HTIB system which I eventually replaced the AVR with a Yamaha 661. The Onkyo speakers were decent but after upgrading the center channel to a Pro Center 1000 and the front L/R channels to ProMonitor 800's I can tell a big difference! The sound is much cleaner and crisper and adds more depth. So far I'm impressed. I can't wait to upgrade the rears and backs!

What do you think of going with ProMonitor 800's for the L/R surrounds and 600's for the backs?

Welcome the the familly, you will find yourself being spoiled by your Deftechs when you are at friends listening to his speakers.

My first system was also a HTIB Onkyo and i too upgraded and upgraded...well anyway, have you listened to the DT 1.2X dipoles, i think you would like the way they fill the rear space more completly and the way they fill the space. Dipoles are very useful in standard shaped rooms and very good for those odd or high ceiling type of rooms. If you page back a bit you can read a review i did of the 2X dipole (slightly bigger) vs my current PM1000 as rears. I have even considered adding a dipole as my 6.1 between the 1000's.
bjkone's Avatar bjkone 09:29 AM 04-05-2008
I have just purchased 4 PM 800s, PC 1000, PS 800 and am pushing them with a Denon 1908. I have the fronts and surrounds ceiling mounted due to the same reason many others have used this method, the wife. I am curious will the Audyssey speaker calibration provide the best speaker setup? Does anyone have any advice in terms of speaker setup? Thanks!
amitabh9's Avatar amitabh9 08:41 AM 04-07-2008
I have finally moved my rears a bit higher and they do sound much better! I will post new pictures soon, but first i am going to install some paintable raceways, to camoflauge the speaker wire.

I think i have figured out how to do the center. I am going to make my own stand. I will pretty much just be a 1in thick wood, cut three peices, one for the base, one for the stem, and finally one board that is going to be perpendicular to the stem, the PM1000 will mount to that board using wall mounts.

The height will be just enough, so to go over my TV and be able to face the speaker downwards towards the audience.
amitabh9's Avatar amitabh9 08:42 AM 04-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkone View Post

I have just purchased 4 PM 800s, PC 1000, PS 800 and am pushing them with a Denon 1908. I have the fronts and surrounds ceiling mounted due to the same reason many others have used this method, the wife. I am curious will the Audyssey speaker calibration provide the best speaker setup? Does anyone have any advice in terms of speaker setup? Thanks!

I have the 2808, and have set each speaker has small. Did my crossover at 100Mz for the PM 800 and 90Mz for the center.

Im not sure about the distance, i just let audyssey calculate that for me.
Plex's Avatar Plex 05:53 PM 04-07-2008
Quote:

I have finally moved my rears a bit higher and they do sound much better! I will post new pictures soon, but first i am going to install some paintable raceways, to camoflauge the speaker wire.

I think i have figured out how to do the center. I am going to make my own stand. I will pretty much just be a 1in thick wood, cut three peices, one for the base, one for the stem, and finally one board that is going to be perpendicular to the stem, the PM1000 will mount to that board using wall mounts.

The height will be just enough, so to go over my TV and be able to face the speaker downwards towards the audience.

Glad to hear the rears sound better. I like the stand idea, but make sure you screw down the base, this setup will be TOP HEAVY, last thing you want is for the center to fall forward and pull your TV along with it.

Can't wait to see finished photo's, i bet movies will sound so much better.

Mark
RaginCajun92's Avatar RaginCajun92 06:18 PM 04-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post

Welcome the the familly, you will find yourself being spoiled by your Deftechs when you are at friends listening to his speakers.

My first system was also a HTIB Onkyo and i too upgraded and upgraded...well anyway, have you listened to the DT 1.2X dipoles, i think you would like the way they fill the rear space more completly and the way they fill the space. Dipoles are very useful in standard shaped rooms and very good for those odd or high ceiling type of rooms. If you page back a bit you can read a review i did of the 2X dipole (slightly bigger) vs my current PM1000 as rears. I have even considered adding a dipole as my 6.1 between the 1000's.

Thanks for the tip on the dipoles. Would you put 4 dipoles for the side/rear surrounds or just 2 dipoles for the backs and maybe 800's for the sides.
OR
Move my current 800's to my sides, get some 1000's for the fronts and dipoles for the backs?

Just did my taxes and it looks like I have some play money coming my way for some upgrades.
Plex's Avatar Plex 02:12 AM 04-13-2008
Quote:

Thanks for the tip on the dipoles. Would you put 4 dipoles for the side/rear surrounds or just 2 dipoles for the backs and maybe 800's for the sides.
OR
Move my current 800's to my sides, get some 1000's for the fronts and dipoles for the backs?

Just did my taxes and it looks like I have some play money coming my way for some upgrades.

If you already have the 800's in hand i think you should use them in your step up, this all depends on your room layout. Can you provide a rough room layout and distances of where you sit/HDTV? and where you think you mave want to place these speakers. This would help to understand what your asking and maybe understand any recommendations given.
RaginCajun92's Avatar RaginCajun92 01:09 PM 04-13-2008
Quote:

If you already have the 800's in hand i think you should use them in your step up, this all depends on your room layout. Can you provide a rough room layout and distances of where you sit/HDTV? and where you think you mave want to place these speakers. This would help to understand what your asking and maybe understand any recommendations given.

Photobucket trimmed off the room dimensions for some reason but they are 13'2" x 17'4".

Measurements to the couch are from the ProCenter 1000 which is not shown on the layout sketch.

I will put the DefTech's in the same location shown on the sketch with the idea of adding a 2nd back channel for 7.1. I was thinking of getting the dipoles for behind the couch.

Thanks for reviewing Plex!
Plex's Avatar Plex 08:11 PM 04-13-2008
Quote:

Photobucket trimmed off the room dimensions for some reason but they are 13'2" x 17'4".

Measurements to the couch are from the ProCenter 1000 which is not shown on the layout sketch.

I will put the DefTech's in the same location shown on the sketch with the idea of adding a 2nd back channel for 7.1. I was thinking of getting the dipoles for behind the couch.

Thanks for reviewing Plex!

Let me start with a quick question first then I'll give more input. The Left side and back side speakers are to be hung or placed on stands, i don't see any walls or structures that they will be placed on. Let me know and I can give better options for you to consider.
RaginCajun92's Avatar RaginCajun92 08:24 PM 04-13-2008
Quote:

Let me start with a quick question first then I'll give more input. The Left side and back side speakers are to be hung or placed on stands, i don't see any walls or structures that they will be placed on. Let me know and I can give better options for you to consider.

Sorry for that omission. The Left side and back are on speaker stands at ear level. The right side is hanging on the wall.

Ultimately at some point these speakers will be in a dedicated theater room. No time frame on that though.
amitabh9's Avatar amitabh9 09:34 AM 04-14-2008
Here are the pictures.... Let me know what you think or even ways to improve the layout/look.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Plex's Avatar Plex 06:10 PM 04-14-2008
Quote:

Sorry for that omission. The Left side and back are on speaker stands at ear level. The right side is hanging on the wall.

Ultimately at some point these speakers will be in a dedicated theater room. No time frame on that though.

You may run into a problem with having the left side speaker at ear level. If look back into the past comments you will find where I recommended that rear speakers should be placed at ear level while standing. Anything lower you most likely will only hear those speakers and loose the surround effects.

What I thinking to use two 800's (dipoles will not be the best for this current layout) for the R&L side speakers, move the right speaker back to the wall just in front of the doorway entering the room and the other at the wall or post at the storage and steps area . Based on your drawing this would bring both speakers about equal distance behind your sofa. Even if these spaekers are mounted higher on the wall them at standing ear level you will be OK, if you page back you'll see my posting where i show that my rears are higher and i have no lose of surround effects. Your AVR will do the adjustments for the rears being further back so don't let that worry you.

Since your layout puts your rears back further (if you go with my recommendation) you really don't need the rear-center (6. or 7.) speaker, unless you would put it on the wall between both rears. I reall think this setup would be the best for your current TV layout, even if you moved the TV to another wall, i think the rears would still be an issue.

Have to add, the wife saw your layout and besides agreeing with me on rear speaker placment she thinks your sofa is to close to the TV (just had to let you know)
Plex's Avatar Plex 06:15 PM 04-14-2008
Quote:

Here are the pictures.... Let me know what you think or even ways to improve the layout/look.

Nice remodel, that center placement looks very nice, it looks better than the shelf idea. How does it sound, i don't think you are having that problem about hearing the center anymore. Movies really must sound alot better too.
amitabh9's Avatar amitabh9 07:58 AM 04-15-2008
Yeah, i do like it. the sounds blend together much better. I havent had a chance to play a movie yet. Ill probably test out lord of rings.

What is a good suggestion (movies wise) to stress test the speakers for accurate sound.
Plex's Avatar Plex 09:34 PM 04-18-2008
Quote:

Yeah, i do like it. the sounds blend together much better. I havent had a chance to play a movie yet. Ill probably test out lord of rings.

What is a good suggestion (movies wise) to stress test the speakers for accurate sound.

How did the calibration go after the speaker rework?

I think Hit man, Shooter (just the normal bullets and stuff) Ray/Good Shepard (singing voice and soft vocals) any Underworld films and I,Robot (good rear effects).

Each set of films should give your system a good test on how well the new setup is preforming. Your vocals should be much cleaner and clearer and the R&L speakers that are now closer to the action this will should keep you better focused on the movie and less on what is not sounding right or trying to read lips since you can't hear the center. Lastly the rears, now you can sit anywhere on the sofa or in the room and not get over-powdered by the speakers playing at ear level. If it wasn't for summer starting you would most likely be watching more movies on your free time.
JZ1276's Avatar JZ1276 03:46 AM 04-20-2008
Anyone have any dialog distortion with the PC 1000? I'm using a Pioneer VSX-D812.
Plex's Avatar Plex 07:25 PM 04-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackyourfupa View Post

Anyone have any dialog distortion with the PC 1000? I'm using a Pioneer VSX-D812.

have you done a calibration of the speakers yet with your AVR or at least used and an SPL meter to check levels? Distortion could come from various areas, let us know what you are running as a source that is causing the problem.
Geoff_L's Avatar Geoff_L 10:10 AM 04-21-2008
Quote:

Nice job, I also really like how you handled the center speaker. The rears look really nice as well. My only suggestion would be to wall mount your front right speaker. The reason I say this is that your front left is wall mounted and this will balance/even out the appearance of your setup.
indiafox14's Avatar indiafox14 07:38 PM 04-22-2008
Just bought omnimount 20s to wall mount my ProCinema 1000 but the thread on the screws does not match,,the one with the omnimounts are bigger the the ones with the 1000s.
Any suggestions?
The wallmounts from deftechs I believe are not that strong to hold the 1000s compared to the omnimount 20s..
correct me if i am wrong...
Geoff_L's Avatar Geoff_L 09:34 PM 04-22-2008
I thought the Omnimount 20's came with several different thread sizes as part of their "kit". One of them should fit the ProMonitor 1000's without a problem. If not, I know the Peerless 20lb mounts work perfectly with the Promonitor 1000's, etc since I have those. You are correct that the DT ProMounts are not strong enough to handle the ProMonitor 1000's.
amitabh9's Avatar amitabh9 08:52 AM 04-23-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_L View Post

Nice job, I also really like how you handled the center speaker. The rears look really nice as well. My only suggestion would be to wall mount your front right speaker. The reason I say this is that your front left is wall mounted and this will balance/even out the appearance of your setup.

Hi Geoff

Both speakers are wall mounted! hehe.. i guess its hard to tell, and having the stand there creates the illusion of the speaker sitting on it.

Just gotta do the finishing touches still...
amitabh9's Avatar amitabh9 08:54 AM 04-23-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiafox14 View Post

Just bought omnimount 20s to wall mount my ProCinema 1000 but the thread on the screws does not match,,the one with the omnimounts are bigger the the ones with the 1000s.
Any suggestions?
The wallmounts from deftechs I believe are not that strong to hold the 1000s compared to the omnimount 20s..
correct me if i am wrong...

I agree, the parts should be a part of the kit... but if not complain to omnimount. I use Vantage Point and they work great. I have also used the ones from monoprice and there are equally as great, but WAAAAAY cheaper in price!
cmf's Avatar cmf 09:20 PM 04-26-2008
Has anyone mounted ProCinema 800s horizontally for fronts?

The only location for our front and center channels is on a thin strip of wall above the TV, so I'm wondering if it'll be OK to mount the fronts on either side of the Center channel with the top radiators pointing outward (the top of the left speaker points to the left; right speaker points to the right). Is this going to create substantial problems regarding the soundstage? If so, what (other than not putting the speakers there...we have no other options) would you recommend? TIA.

Edit: In case a photo (or 3) helps, here's our layout: http://craigfroehle.com/basement/ (photo 2 shows the area in question best; the DefTechs will be replacing what's currently there)
Plex's Avatar Plex 09:55 PM 04-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf View Post

Has anyone mounted ProCinema 800s horizontally for fronts?

The only location for our front and center channels is on a thin strip of wall above the TV, so I'm wondering if it'll be OK to mount the fronts on either side of the Center channel with the top radiators pointing outward (the top of the left speaker points to the left; right speaker points to the right). Is this going to create substantial problems regarding the soundstage? If so, what (other than not putting the speakers there...we have no other options) would you recommend? TIA.

Edit: In case a photo (or 3) helps, here's our layout: http://craigfroehle.com/basement/ (photo 2 shows the area in question best; the DefTechs will be replacing what's currently there)

I don't think you will have any problems with the sound stage with the 800's on their sides. You did not say you are using a DT as the center, if you use a different brand center you may have a off balanced sound stage. It is very important to have the L/R & center speakers from the same company and that you try to match the same size drivers across the front. The rears are not as important to be the same, but if they are different try to get the db rating the same or very close.

The ProMonitors can even be mounted upside down and they'll sound great. Make sure you are able to point the front and center speakers down enough to the seating area since you are sitting close. The center looks like it is pointed above the seating area. What are the rear surrounds?
boltonic's Avatar boltonic 06:48 AM 04-28-2008
I have a question regarding the ProCinema Series 60. I've had these speakers for over a year now and they sound great. I didn't set it up where the front speakers wires go into the sub the back out into the speakers. Is that setup really that much better than just hooking up the front speakers from your receiver?
lhanley's Avatar lhanley 05:19 PM 04-29-2008
Well it has been some weeks now that I have had my setup and it still brings a silly grin to my face. I have a shared apartment and my room is my little sanctuary. It is by no means acoustically sound (rice paper dry wall, I swear) and just 10.5Wx13Lx8H and holds the bed, PC and desk, and a 52" Sony XBR4. Everything about the setup is wrong and as is typical of apartments not favorable to re-arranging. Regardless of this inconvenience I am still profoundly pleased with having passed along my Onkyo HTIB to someone else. The difference in sound quality is Amazing!I chose the 1000's so that my blue collar, middle aged buttocks would have some flexibilty in the future without regretting getting a possibly too small of a setup. I am no audiophile- I just wanted a nice setup this time with the option to replace components and not the whole HTIB every few years.
I setup my Onkyo TX-SR705 at 6 ohm setting initially, the went to the 4 ohm after reading more in this forum. Then back to six(worried about audio quality loss through heat dissipation). Then emailed Def Tech- and now I'm back to 4 ohm. Pushing fifty yearsold (late starter) I'm more interested in quality of sound than volume.
To Plex: within a week of having the ProCinemas you had me searching on the SM450's after reading your posts. You really do plant that upgrade bug. Perhaps it won't be all that long before I'm going that way. In the mean time I have done my best to stay out of the BB store where I know they have some hooked up and just waiting for me stray by. I really need to put that tax incentive check on the credit card that I already did my part to help the economy with. Thanks for being there. It is always nice to check back and see an avid Def Tech owner chiming in.

Quoted from Def Tech:

Thanks for your recent email to Definitive Technology. The impedance of a loudspeaker is more complex than one number. Technically speaking, the impedance of a loudspeaker varies with what frequency it's trying to reproduce. Meaning at one frequency, a loudspeaker may present an impedance of 4 ohms to receiver and at another frequency, it may present an impedance of 18 ohms.....

With this in mind, an engineer could actually graph the impedance of a loudspeaker in relation to what frequency it is given. When looking at this graph, the question becomes.......How do determine the "average" impedance of a loudspeaker? If I had to give you an "average" impedance for our loudspeakers, I'd say they were 6 ohms. (Does this mean that our speakers are harder to drive than another manufacturer's speakers that are averaged out to 8 ohms? It might depend on how the impedance curve or graph is averaged out.)

Most modern amplifiers should have no problems driving speakers with an average impendence of 6 ohms. (Given the choices you have, I would recommend setting your Onkyo receiver to the 4 ohm position. This would provide the best match between your receiver and your speakers.)

If you need any other information, please email me at chet.pelkowski@definitivetech.com.

Thanks Again,
Chet Pelkowski
Definitive Technology

TDI Driver's Avatar TDI Driver 05:36 PM 04-29-2008
There is a nice review on the 800 system in the latest issue of Playback magazine (part of the family responsible for Absolute Sound and Perfect Vision)

http://magazine.playbackmag.net/playback/200804web/
Plex's Avatar Plex 06:33 PM 04-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanley View Post

I am no audiophile- I just wanted a nice setup this time with the option to replace components and not the whole HTIB every few years.

To Plex: within a week of having the ProCinemas you had me searching on the SM450's after reading your posts. You really do plant that upgrade bug. Perhaps it won't be all that long before I'm going that way. In the mean time I have done my best to stay out of the BB store where I know they have some hooked up and just waiting for me stray by. I really need to put that tax incentive check on the credit card that I already did my part to help the economy with. Thanks for being there. It is always nice to check back and see an avid Def Tech owner chiming in.

[/i]

Good to see another elder (50 in March) out there, I'm really glad that you are enjoying the PM1000's they really do crank but are refined enough to play soft jazz or soulful blues at low volumes and still be very clear and clean sounding, As for those 450's or any other speaker, jump on those if you find some cash on the street or win that daily number. The PM1000's will last you many years and give you tons of newness to older music that you may have not listened to for a while. If you haven't noticed already, the driver in the PM1000's are the same that are used on the flagship ST & STS's you have future-proofed your listening with these speakers.

Keep in touch and put in your 2 cents if you want or just to ask a question, we are all here to help each other enjoy these DefTech's the best way we know how.
Tags: Definitive Technology Procinema 600 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology Procinema 1000 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop