Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 7340 Old 06-19-2007, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

Since the master Definitive thread is upwards of 90 pages, I thought we could dedicate a thread to the ProCinema series owners. I personally just bought the 600 series (comes with ProSub 600 8").

Thus far, I've rewatched Gladiator in surround sound and it sounds pretty impressive. I've also played Call of Duty 2 on my Xbox 360 and the gunshots and grenades come from all over the place utilizing all the 5.1 speakers... intense!! That was actually a better use than Gladiator. I also watched 5.1 baseball on ESPN HD and you can hear the crowd noise coming from the surrounds.

I plan to ceiling mount the surrounds at least so I'm currently looking for ceiling mounts... any suggestions?

Let's hear what Procinema setups you all have ... I think DT makes some great speakers. I had never heard of them until about a month ago, but now, I'm a convert!

*wahoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7340 Old 06-20-2007, 04:29 AM

Great idea! I have the following Pro Cinema Speakers
Pro Monitor 200 Mains (no longer made! Great big book shelf speakers)
Pro Monitor C2 Center
BPX Sides
Pro Monitor 800 Rear
Super Cube 3
post #3 of 7340 Old 06-20-2007, 07:43 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyone View Post

Great idea! I have the following Pro Cinema Speakers
Pro Monitor 200 Mains (no longer made! Great big book shelf speakers)
Pro Monitor C2 Center
BPX Sides
Pro Monitor 800 Rear
Super Cube 3

hey, how do you like the supercube 3?

how big is your room?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #4 of 7340 Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll bite. I currently have a decent surround system consisting of Mission bookshelves (v60's) and a Velodyne F1200 sub. I am planning a theater in my basement, but until I can finish it I just put together a "mini-theater" in a spare bedroom consisting of a Dt500 projector, 92" screen and the Pro-Cinema 600's in a 9 x 12 room.
I've gotta tell you, before I set them up I pulled out two speakers and replaced my Mission mains with them to see what they sound like. I was less than impressed, to be honest. They were an awful match for my Velodyne, which tops out at 85Hz. They sounded small and tinny, to be honest. I almost took the system back, but I'm glad I didn't.
I set them up in the bedroom , all 5 mounted to the wall using the def tech mounts, and the mains are wired through the sub with my reciever set to Large.
Man, what a difference. Those speakers have no right sounding that good for $800. I cannot beleive how much bass I get, not only from the 8" sub but from the sats themselves. I have them crossed over at 80hz (except the L and R set to Large) on my RX-V2500, and movies and music both sound incredible. Dialog is crystal clear, everything just sounds... real! I played U571 in there the other night and even with the bass loud enough to rock the room, all other sounds were perfectly intelligible. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I have 4 panels of 2'x4' Owens Corning 703 2 inches thick around the room to absorb reflections. THey sound far better in my room than they did in Magnolia too, I must say. Don't know what they were doing wrong.
Incredible bargain, I love these things. Highly recommended.
post #5 of 7340 Old 06-20-2007, 08:20 AM

I love my super cube 3. I have a fairly large room, 20x14x8 but the theater area is fairly small. I live in a town home and my son's room is right above our living room, so I have to keep the based dialed down a lot. When I turn it up, it shakes the house. I considered returning it to get a super cube 2 but I don't think I will ever need the head room. I know a lot of guys on the boards knock the def techs because they state that they don't go very low. To me, it goes more than low enough. it's much deeper and louder than my Pro Sub 100!
post #6 of 7340 Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I love my super cube 3. I have a fairly large room, 20x14x8 but the theater area is fairly small. I live in a town home and my son's room is right above our living room, so I have to keep the based dialed down a lot. When I turn it up, it shakes the house. I considered returning it to get a super cube 2 but I don't think I will ever need the head room. I know a lot of guys on the boards knock the def techs because they state that they don't go very low. To me, it goes more than low enough. it's much deeper and louder than my Pro Sub 100!

i noticed there is a general hatred toward def tech speakers from a lot of people around here, it's almost cult like

they found one little thing, something like they don't use +/- 3db on their specs or some $hit, who cares, the speakers sound amazing for the price and if you don't like something when you get it into your home, they take it back no questions

i think that's what it comes down to, these "high end" guys don't like the idea that there are high quality speakers out there that sound awesome and don't break the bank. oh and they look cool too
Five28 and Andrewnew like this.

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #7 of 7340 Old 06-20-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero the hero View Post

I'll bite. I currently have a decent surround system consisting of Mission bookshelves (v60's) and a Velodyne F1200 sub. I am planning a theater in my basement, but until I can finish it I just put together a "mini-theater" in a spare bedroom consisting of a Dt500 projector, 92" screen and the Pro-Cinema 600's in a 9 x 12 room.
I've gotta tell you, before I set them up I pulled out two speakers and replaced my Mission mains with them to see what they sound like. I was less than impressed, to be honest. They were an awful match for my Velodyne, which tops out at 85Hz. They sounded small and tinny, to be honest. I almost took the system back, but I'm glad I didn't.
I set them up in the bedroom , all 5 mounted to the wall using the def tech mounts, and the mains are wired through the sub with my reciever set to Large.
Man, what a difference. Those speakers have no right sounding that good for $800. I cannot beleive how much bass I get, not only from the 8" sub but from the sats themselves. I have them crossed over at 80hz (except the L and R set to Large) on my RX-V2500, and movies and music both sound incredible. Dialog is crystal clear, everything just sounds... real! I played U571 in there the other night and even with the bass loud enough to rock the room, all other sounds were perfectly intelligible. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I have 4 panels of 2'x4' Owens Corning 703 2 inches thick around the room to absorb reflections. THey sound far better in my room than they did in Magnolia too, I must say. Don't know what they were doing wrong.
Incredible bargain, I love these things. Highly recommended.

That's interesting. The setup manual says to do the same thing you did... which is run the FL and FR speakers thru the sub. I thought it was too much speaker wire and too much of a mess so I run everything through my receiver. I love the sound now but I wonder if it will make an even bigger difference the other way. A few comments about your post:

1) I think the Procinema series (esp the 600s because they don't sell the promonitor 600s separately) are meant to be packaged with other promonitors and the prosub. Maybe that's why they sounded like crap paired with the Velodyne sub. Esp because the DT prosub 600 tops about at 120mHZ-150mHZ so you get more low coverage that the promonitors can't hit.

2) I gotta try running the fronts thru the sub. I didn't think it would make a difference (although even the manual said it would). Just gotta figure out a way to make it look pretty then. If you do that - do you run speaker wire from receiver to the sub or still use the subwoofer coax cable?

3) A 9x12 room is probably perfect for the 600s. My room is about 12x20 so its larger but since I don't listen to movies/music super loud and I have neighbors (damn those shared walls in townhouses) - the 600s work for me. BTW - I did listen to the 800s at BB and they sounded incredible as well. They probably would be better for a larger room.

*wahoo
post #8 of 7340 Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

i noticed there is a general hatred toward def tech speakers from a lot of people around here, it's almost cult like

they found one little thing, something like they don't use +/- 3db on their specs or some $hit, who cares, the speakers sound amazing for the price and if you don't like something when you get it into your home, they take it back no questions

i think that's what it comes down to, these "high end" guys don't like the idea that there are high quality speakers out there that sound awesome and don't break the bank. oh and they look cool too

I hadn't noticed that to be honest. All the threads I've read always have someone suggesting Def Tech speakers. That's how I found about them and started considering them to be honest. I needed a satellite 5.1 set up and about a month ago I was ignorant and was looking at the Bose AM-10. As soon as I came here, Bose got torn to shreds and after listening and comparing (which I'm so glad I did) - I totally agree that for the price, there are MUCH better speakers out there. Everyone kept directing me to Paradigm, Def Tech, Mirage and Orb for my needs....

Since I'm not an audiophile, maybe these speakers don't compare to $5000k-8000k setups but at 10-20% of that price, should they? I think for this price point, it's the best speaker I've personally heard. (except for maybe Focal - which was just a tad too large/expensive for me).

*wahoo
post #9 of 7340 Old 06-20-2007, 12:38 PM

Glad someone started this forum..

I too, like to hear something before plopping some money down..I went to BB and for my needs (in-ceiling/ceiling mounted speakers/5.1) the procinema 600 sounded very deep. I am deciding now on the 600 vs. mirage nano's..

Any thoughts on the two??

Also, what is the difference between 600 and 60?

Any suggestions on ceiling mounts?

Most important, BB has the 600 ~$800...Any better deals?

Thanks for listening...
post #10 of 7340 Old 06-20-2007, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The 600 is the updated version of the 60.
I prefer the directional sound of the ProCinemas as opposed to the Nanosats, which might fare better in an awkward placement condition.
post #11 of 7340 Old 06-20-2007, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devanee View Post

Glad someone started this forum..

I too, like to hear something before plopping some money down..I went to BB and for my needs (in-ceiling/ceiling mounted speakers/5.1) the procinema 600 sounded very deep. I am deciding now on the 600 vs. mirage nano's..

Any thoughts on the two??

Also, what is the difference between 600 and 60?

Any suggestions on ceiling mounts?

Most important, BB has the 600 ~$800...Any better deals?

Thanks for listening...

I was in the exact same situation as you. It came down to Mirage Nanos vs DT 600s for me and I just picked up the 600s after a direct comparison. I brought Matrix and Gladiator DVDs and made the Magnolia play the same scenes in both multiple times. The DTs really blew the Nanos away. The omnipolar sound on the Nanos is the only advantage and that would totally depend on your room setup. My observations FWIW:

1) Nanos dialogue was a little weak (no dedicated center, its the same as the other satellites.

2) Nanos did the high freqs very well and the sound dispersed better at all wierd listening angles. The DTs definitely had a sweet spot and if you walked around, other areas didn't sound as powerful but man... that sweet spot blew away the Nanos best effort.

3) It was played on a Denon 2807 receiver. Same decibel level for both DVDs.. the DTs were much louder, clearer and had stronger dialogue.

4) DTs sub was much tightier and stronger and has a volume control. Nano sub has no volume control and didn't sound as strong.

5) Nanos look better and are probably easier to ceiling mount.

6) Overall, both sets were nice but the DTs just had the sound edge and were better for my room set up. I didn't need the advantages of the omnipolar.

The 60s are the old model of the 600s.. same with 80s vs 800s and 100s vs 1000s.

As far as ceiling mounts, I'm still researching - I wish I had prewired wall but ceiling was my only option due to the shared party walls. Monoprice has some really cheap $5 plastic ones with a 8lb load but I'm afraid to try those. Omnimount has some model 10 ceiling mounts (metal) which look decent but they are expensive so I'm still looking. It's not easy because the promonitor 600s are 7" so you need some clearance to drop down from the ceiling.

The only better deal I found was some online site newyorkwholesaleaudio or something like that that had them for $670 or so after shipping. Since I used a rewards zone coupon at BB - I got my price down to $730 so I figure I'd sacrifice $60 for the security of a B&M.

*wahoo
post #12 of 7340 Old 06-20-2007, 06:31 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodude23 View Post

I hadn't noticed that to be honest. All the threads I've read always have someone suggesting Def Tech speakers. That's how I found about them and started considering them to be honest. I needed a satellite 5.1 set up and about a month ago I was ignorant and was looking at the Bose AM-10. As soon as I came here, Bose got torn to shreds and after listening and comparing (which I'm so glad I did) - I totally agree that for the price, there are MUCH better speakers out there. Everyone kept directing me to Paradigm, Def Tech, Mirage and Orb for my needs....

Since I'm not an audiophile, maybe these speakers don't compare to $5000k-8000k setups but at 10-20% of that price, should they? I think for this price point, it's the best speaker I've personally heard. (except for maybe Focal - which was just a tad too large/expensive for me).

here's one posted a few minutes ago

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10840081

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #13 of 7340 Old 06-20-2007, 06:59 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

here's another one from today

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10839980

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #14 of 7340 Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

here's another one from today

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10839980

Ok - I guess some people don't like them. It looks like DTs are either love it or hate it kinda deal...

I'd also be curious to know what that "colored" sound is?

*wahoo
post #15 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 01:33 AM

Wahoodude....

Please let me know what you end up choosing for ceiling mounts..
I have also looked at omnimounts, but their prices are kinda high..
post #16 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Let me start by saying I'm a Def Tech dealer and sell the complete line.
I have great respect for what they have done in the industry and think they are always worth a mention as great "bang for the buck" speakers . I also owned several sets of Mirage speakers as I sold them where I worked before. All this being said they have some great things going for them. First off they make good use of power and are easily driven so they are a good match for most mass market receivers which again helps with budget. They can play loud, and fill a room, the bipoles can play reasonably well to a larger diverse seating arrangement (and will often solve some placement issues), the little satelittes are as good as you can hope to expect from little satelittes, with the 800's and 1000's starting to sound closer to little bookshelves thanks to their Passive Radiator and double surround mid-range driver. I would HIGHLY encourage those looking at the 600's to see if they could swing the 800's as I feel the differance is dramatic.

The large BP towers ones can be very dynamic which is also a great attribute, and the mythos towers are very attractive and have been a popular bose alternative to those who are being aided in their decision making process by their "better half".

The tastes that people have for speakers with music differ, so if you've heard them and enjoy them for music after having compared them to other similar products, then who's to tell you otherwise? Be confident that you've made the best personal choice.,

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #17 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's interesting. The setup manual says to do the same thing you did... which is run the FL and FR speakers thru the sub. I thought it was too much speaker wire and too much of a mess so I run everything through my receiver. I love the sound now but I wonder if it will make an even bigger difference the other way. A few comments about your post:

1) I think the Procinema series (esp the 600s because they don't sell the promonitor 600s separately) are meant to be packaged with other promonitors and the prosub. Maybe that's why they sounded like crap paired with the Velodyne sub. Esp because the DT prosub 600 tops about at 120mHZ-150mHZ so you get more low coverage that the promonitors can't hit.

2) I gotta try running the fronts thru the sub. I didn't think it would make a difference (although even the manual said it would). Just gotta figure out a way to make it look pretty then. If you do that - do you run speaker wire from receiver to the sub or still use the subwoofer coax cable?

3) A 9x12 room is probably perfect for the 600s. My room is about 12x20 so its larger but since I don't listen to movies/music super loud and I have neighbors (damn those shared walls in townhouses) - the 600s work for me. BTW - I did listen to the 800s at BB and they sounded incredible as well. They probably would be better for a larger room.

Sorry I missed this. You'll need both speaker wire AND sub cable for this scenario. The Sub cable is needed for LFE.
I think this setup is worth the extra wiring - try it!
post #18 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 AM

What ever happened to the PRO CINEMA 200 line? I own the Pro Monitor 200's for my mains and my center is the C2. I don't know anybody else who owns these speakers.
post #19 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devanee View Post

Wahoodude....

Please let me know what you end up choosing for ceiling mounts..
I have also looked at omnimounts, but their prices are kinda high..

So far omnimounts look the best but they are $30 a piece + shipping so I'm still looking. I'm not in a terrible rush although I do have them ghetto set up right now with speaker wire on the floor and the Promonitor surrounds on cardboard boxes!

*wahoo
post #20 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What ever happened to the PRO CINEMA 200 line? I own the Pro Monitor 200's for my mains and my center is the C2. I don't know anybody else who owns these speakers.

I think they were discontinued with the 60/80/100 line. I know DT replaced them with 600/800/1000 but I didn't see any marketing material for a 2000 line so maybe the 200s are the end of the road for that particular line.

*wahoo
post #21 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 12:55 PM

Soon i will be the owner of 2 promonitor 1000's for l/r, the procenter 2000, and the promonitor 800s for surround. i havent really decided on the sub. should i go with the svs pb10 or the prosub 1000?
post #22 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So far omnimounts look the best but they are $30 a piece + shipping so I'm still looking. I'm not in a terrible rush although I do have them ghetto set up right now with speaker wire on the floor and the Promonitor surrounds on cardboard boxes!

The Def Tech mounts specifically made for these are like $40/pair at Best Buy
post #23 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero the hero View Post

The Def Tech mounts specifically made for these are like $40/pair at Best Buy

But those were wall mounts right? When I asked the magnolia dude, he said he didn't have ceiling mounts.

*wahoo
post #24 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1005 View Post

Soon i will be the owner of 2 promonitor 1000's for l/r, the procenter 2000, and the promonitor 800s for surround. i havent really decided on the sub. should i go with the svs pb10 or the prosub 1000?

If you want a sub with a small footprint and don't care about extension below 30Hz the ProSub 1000 will work. If you DO care about extension below 30Hz and don't mind going a little larger, the SVS PB10 or something bigger (depending on the size of your room) by SVS will outperform the ProSub1000 easily. I had the ProSub1000. It had dismal output below 30Hz and overall, could not keep up with my mains (Mythos Ones) in my 4,800 ft3 space. Replaced it with a HSU VTF3 MKIII and it was like going from AM radio to CD quality sound. Amazing difference.

Gordon
post #25 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But those were wall mounts right? When I asked the magnolia dude, he said he didn't have ceiling mounts.

My bad, you are correct.
post #26 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 05:58 PM

I have 80's - any mount with a 1/4-20 stud will work. I used Omnimount brand, they were like $20 or $30 - but there is just a ton of others. I don't think Def Tech's brackets are anything special.

The one choice is length of the mount stud, long for ceiling, short for wall.

Bottom line - never ask anyone, anything in a Best Buy/Magnolia except where the bathroom is.
post #27 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon1080p View Post

If you want a sub with a small footprint and don't care about extension below 30Hz the ProSub 1000 will work. If you DO care about extension below 30Hz and don't mind going a little larger, the SVS PB10 or something bigger (depending on the size of your room) by SVS will outperform the ProSub1000 easily. I had the ProSub1000. It had dismal output below 30Hz and overall, could not keep up with my mains (Mythos Ones) in my 4,800 ft3 space. Replaced it with a HSU VTF3 MKIII and it was like going from AM radio to CD quality sound. Amazing difference.

Gordon

thanks for the input gordon. looks like the svs sub is the way to go for me. i have a small room, but i want to be able to really feel the bass. the svs is less expensive too.
post #28 of 7340 Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 PM

Any thoughts on the performance 2?

I have read others giving thumbs up to the HSU...

Performance 2 is ore inexpensive as well, but there is no way for me to listen to them..
post #29 of 7340 Old 06-22-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought Pro 100's for the fronts and a Pro 2000 C, but I think it was called something else when I bought it. It is the one with two 5.25 drivers they made to go with the Pro 100's. I use Pro 80's for the surrounds and and a supercube II. Movies sound awesome and my wife and I were recently watching Pan's Labyrinth and she was really impressed with the surrounds depth and bass for such small speakers. The supercube also does a great job. It can really shake things for having such a small driver or drivers since it does have on active and one passive radiator. Basically I am very happy with this set up and probably will not upgrade for a really long time. My room is also not the biggest, but in no way considered small. I think it is 23' x 14' and my wife and kids are always telling me to turn the volume down, so output is more than enough. The speakers are IMO the best sounding small speakers I heard at the time for the money. The entire set up cost me under 2 grand I think and a big chunk was the supercube.

OK, so why *again* do we need a bigger one?
post #30 of 7340 Old 06-22-2007, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekaden View Post

I have 80's - any mount with a 1/4-20 stud will work. I used Omnimount brand, they were like $20 or $30 - but there is just a ton of others. I don't think Def Tech's brackets are anything special.

The one choice is length of the mount stud, long for ceiling, short for wall.

Bottom line - never ask anyone, anything in a Best Buy/Magnolia except where the bathroom is.

So did you use the DT brackets for the ceiling mount or the omnimount? Can you tell which omnimount you used if that was the one?

*wahoo
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Procinema 600 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology Procinema 1000 5 1 Speaker System , Definitive Technology

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page