Originally Posted by devanee
Glad someone started this forum..
I too, like to hear something before plopping some money down..I went to BB and for my needs (in-ceiling/ceiling mounted speakers/5.1) the procinema 600 sounded very deep. I am deciding now on the 600 vs. mirage nano's..
Any thoughts on the two??
Also, what is the difference between 600 and 60?
Any suggestions on ceiling mounts?
Most important, BB has the 600 ~$800...Any better deals?
Thanks for listening...
I was in the exact same situation as you. It came down to Mirage Nanos vs DT 600s for me and I just picked up the 600s after a direct comparison. I brought Matrix and Gladiator DVDs and made the Magnolia play the same scenes in both multiple times. The DTs really blew the Nanos away. The omnipolar sound on the Nanos is the only advantage and that would totally depend on your room setup. My observations FWIW:
1) Nanos dialogue was a little weak (no dedicated center, its the same as the other satellites.
2) Nanos did the high freqs very well and the sound dispersed better at all wierd listening angles. The DTs definitely had a sweet spot and if you walked around, other areas didn't sound as powerful but man... that sweet spot blew away the Nanos best effort.
3) It was played on a Denon 2807 receiver. Same decibel level for both DVDs.. the DTs were much louder, clearer and had stronger dialogue.
4) DTs sub was much tightier and stronger and has a volume control. Nano sub has no volume control and didn't sound as strong.
5) Nanos look better and are probably easier to ceiling mount.
6) Overall, both sets were nice but the DTs just had the sound edge and were better for my room set up. I didn't need the advantages of the omnipolar.
The 60s are the old model of the 600s.. same with 80s vs 800s and 100s vs 1000s.
As far as ceiling mounts, I'm still researching - I wish I had prewired wall but ceiling was my only option due to the shared party walls. Monoprice has some really cheap $5 plastic ones with a 8lb load but I'm afraid to try those. Omnimount has some model 10 ceiling mounts (metal) which look decent but they are expensive so I'm still looking. It's not easy because the promonitor 600s are 7" so you need some clearance to drop down from the ceiling.
The only better deal I found was some online site newyorkwholesaleaudio or something like that that had them for $670 or so after shipping. Since I used a rewards zone coupon at BB - I got my price down to $730 so I figure I'd sacrifice $60 for the security of a B&M.