Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 635 Old 09-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for posting, robbroy!

Sounds like it will be worth going through the trouble of sending the MTS's back for upgrading. Though it will be a pain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 635 Old 09-01-2008, 12:55 PM

Yeah, it's a pain to box them all up again, but it is definitely worth it. These are completely different (and better) speakers with the new crossovers.

-Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #363 of 635 Old 09-01-2008, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbroy View Post

Yeah, it's a pain to box them all up again, but it is definitely worth it. These are completely different (and better) speakers with the new crossovers.

-Robb

Why not just swap the crossovers?

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #364 of 635 Old 09-01-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Why not just swap the crossovers?

According to SVS it's such a pain that they don't feel it's a field serviceable swap.

-Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #365 of 635 Old 09-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

According to SVS it's such a pain that they don't feel it's a field serviceable swap.

-Robb

RobbRoy:

Was your MTS a new set or one that has been reworked by SVS?
post #366 of 635 Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 PM

Liked: 11
what does MTM stand for?
post #367 of 635 Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

RobbRoy:

Robb's M-series system is equipped with hand-built crossovers which are production-spec (i.e., the VTF tracks identically to the production samples).

The crossovers are currently in mass production and will be completed over the next three weeks as we ramp-up production again. The back-order list is large (and growing) and will be serviced first. Retrofits and new production are next, and will stream simultaneously.

I'll be coordinating retrofits; look for an update on the News page over the next few weeks on how to send-in your speakers for the new crossovers.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #368 of 635 Old 09-02-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:

RobbRoy:

It is one that has been re-worked by SVS.

-Robb

Looks like Ed was typing at the same time I was. His post has a lot more detail.

post #369 of 635 Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojready View Post

what does MTM stand for?

Midwoofer - Tweeter - Midwoofer alignment...either vertically or horizontally in the center.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #370 of 635 Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 AM
arj

Currently I'm using the Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1 and Neo Center and would like to have the MBS-01 bookshelves as my next upgrade. The problem is, due to the size of the MCS-01 center speaker, I'm unable to accomodate it into my current setup. Would it be ok if I use the MBS-01 together with the Neo Center? Check out the specs of the Neo Center at the link below. Thanks.

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Pro...eaker-spec.asp
post #371 of 635 Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arj View Post

Currently I'm using the Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1 and Neo Center and would like to have the MBS-01 bookshelves as my next upgrade. The problem is, due to the size of the MCS-01 center speaker, I'm unable to accomodate it into my current setup. Would it be ok if I use the MBS-01 together with the Neo Center? Check out the specs of the Neo Center at the link below. Thanks.

I'd be inclined to figure out a way to incorporate the larger MCS speaker (build a shelf, move units, etc.) than to pair those two. Besides, if you like the SVS MBS speakers as much as I do, you'll be looking for a way to incorporate the SVS MCS speaker anyway.

-Robb

post #372 of 635 Old 09-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This morning, I placed my order for the MTS 5.0 family. These speakers will be replacing my Infinity Alpha's for music and HT. I am very excited to hear these speakers. My 2 emails with Ed Mullen, and the fact that I appreciate what SVS is doing with the new x-overs sealed the deal for me.

If I don't find it was worth the upgrade, I can always return them, but I'm hoping that is not the case. These speakers have a look to them I really like, and the Sound & Vision review didn't do anything negative to a purchase I was already considering.

I'm really excited, I hope I don't have to wait too long. Since I do like bass, I would like to ask the owners of these speakers if their bass response is strong (MTS-01). I'm not expecting subwoofer type bass, but at least bass that I can feel in 2 channel. I am more interested in the accuracy of the speaker's, however. Hopefully, I'll be able to fit the center in my TV stand. It may require a bit of surgery, but even if I can't, I'll buy a new stand, or speaker stand.

If anyone would like to make me more excited by sharing their opinions of these speakers.....feel free!

Damon

I like Ice Cream!
post #373 of 635 Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

This morning, I placed my order for the MTS 5.0 family. These speakers will be replacing my Infinity Alpha's for music and HT. I am very excited to hear these speakers. My 2 emails with Ed Mullen, and the fact that I appreciate what SVS is doing with the new x-overs sealed the deal for me.

If I don't find it was worth the upgrade, I can always return them, but I'm hoping that is not the case. These speakers have a look to them I really like, and the Sound & Vision review didn't do anything negative to a purchase I was already considering.

I'm really excited, I hope I don't have to wait too long. Since I do like bass, I would like to ask the owners of these speakers if their bass response is strong (MTS-01). I'm not expecting subwoofer type bass, but at least bass that I can feel in 2 channel. I am more interested in the accuracy of the speaker's, however. Hopefully, I'll be able to fit the center in my TV stand. It may require a bit of surgery, but even if I can't, I'll buy a new stand, or speaker stand.

If anyone would like to make me more excited by sharing their opinions of these speakers.....feel free!

Damon

I recommend you email Jan at L-Sound (our Euro dealer) at sales@lsound.no. He just completed a very thorough A-B of the 1st gen and 2nd gen M-series speakers. He is one of our toughest critics, actually, and his review was quite thorough and detailed.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #374 of 635 Old 09-16-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
And, it would be nice if whatever he has to say was posted here (with permission).
post #375 of 635 Old 09-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

And, it would be nice if whatever he has to say was posted here (with permission).

I have just received a reply from Jan with his impressions of the MTS II(?). Jan was very positive about the MTS II.

Waiting for Jan's permission to post his reply here.
post #376 of 635 Old 09-17-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

Damon

The towers are virtually flat (and strong) down to 30 Hz, making them excellent two channel speakers. I had the first generation of these speakers, and am completely shocked how much better they are with the new crossovers. When I had the first generation, I wasn't sure if I was going to sell my (former) top-of-the-line Boston Acoustics, but now that I have the second generation SVS MTS speakers, the BAs are officially for sale.

-Robb

post #377 of 635 Old 09-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The towers are virtually flat (and strong) down to 30 Hz, making them excellent two channel speakers. I had the first generation of these speakers, and am completely shocked how much better they are with the new crossovers. When I had the first generation, I wasn't sure if I was going to sell my (former) top-of-the-line Boston Acoustics, but now that I have the second generation SVS MTS speakers, the BAs are officially for sale.

-Robb

This is all very good to hear. The way SVS just up and changed everything on their dime in such an early part of the product's life cycle is amazing to me. I'm willing to bet most companies would have just ignored it, and let it sell as is. I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival.

I like Ice Cream!
post #378 of 635 Old 09-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

First of all, I want to say thanks to Jan for all the time he took communicating with me regarding his 'review'. Secondly, this 'review' was intended for internal use between L-Sound and SVS.

Here is Jan's 'review':

"I can give you my short version of the review (keep in mind I don't use any fancy abstract words);

- It is so much smoother than version 1; flatter response.

- Upper mid bass are better, tighter and stronger.

- Bass is very tight and gives plenty of power, even at louder levels set up at full range (without subwoofer). Version 1 sounded thin below 2-300Hz IMO, now it is full and rich.

- Upper midrange/lower tweeter section is of another world.

- The tweeter overall is finally performing what I can expect from this Hi-End tweeter from ScanSpeak; one of the best component on the market. In version 1 it totally collapsed at higher frequencies.

- Top end is much less recessed.

- It won't be stressed even at reference levels, and I mean NO stress at all.

- Soundstage is indeed improved.

- Details overall are heavily improved.

- I can finally play one of my favorites She wants revenge album on reference levels with no problems.

- Michael Jackson did sound good, but now even better. Reference ++ no problems.

- Dynamics which can't be compared to version 1.

- The speakers just takes what it gets from the 500W Rotel amplifier.

- Bottom line; it just went easily through the first session long session. These speakers are not improved, they are totally new speakers.

The speakers are insanely good and I didn't like the version 1. I like playing loud with lots of power but that doesn't mean I do care about that more than SQ. SQ is everything, volume is a bonus. I am also a dynamic addicted user and this speaker get me everything. Now, it plays even better than I could first ask for."

DamageMcRamage: Sounds like it will do 2ch stereo just fine, with enough bottom end to satisfy you needs.
post #379 of 635 Old 09-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

DamageMcRamage: Sounds like it will do 2ch stereo just fine, with enough bottom end to satisfy you needs.

Seems that way. Thanks for your thoughts Jan, also, thanks for posting this bearchan. I eagerly wait.

I like Ice Cream!
post #380 of 635 Old 09-20-2008, 10:48 AM

Please clarify. The v2 with the new crossover has been applied to the MBS, not just the MTS?
post #381 of 635 Old 09-20-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post

Please clarify. The v2 with the new crossover has been applied to the MBS, not just the MTS?

All of the M series speakers have new x-overs.

-Robb

post #382 of 635 Old 09-20-2008, 11:20 AM

Good. Thanks Robb.

I'm considering getting the SBS for surrounds. Would that be a mistake if my fronts and center are the MBS and MCS? It would save me about $700 which I could apply to the sub.
post #383 of 635 Old 09-22-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post

Good. Thanks Robb.

I'm considering getting the SBS for surrounds. Would that be a mistake if my fronts and center are the MBS and MCS? It would save me about $700 which I could apply to the sub.

Timbre matching and overall sound quality of the S-series won't match the M-series, but it won't be completely incompatible either.

The choice depends on which will give you more payback, and that is a function of your current subwoofer. If your current subwoofer is really good, then get the MBS surrounds. If your current sub is the weak spot in your line-up, then I would definitely advise the SBS surround and investing in a new sub - you'll get more bang for the buck.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #384 of 635 Old 09-27-2008, 02:14 PM

Liked: 12
Are there any measurements such as sr graph on the
redone MTS on the SVS website or possibly in a review?
post #385 of 635 Old 09-28-2008, 11:29 AM

I would like to see some pre/post new crossover measurements with the same speaker.
post #386 of 635 Old 10-02-2008, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just sent off my mts's and mcs to get the crossovers replaced. Anyone get thiers back yet with the new crossovers? I'm wondering the difference is SQ, and about how long it will take.
post #387 of 635 Old 10-02-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post

I just sent off my mts's and mcs to get the crossovers replaced. Anyone get thiers back yet with the new crossovers? I'm wondering the difference is SQ, and about how long it will take.

http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/...hread.id=90463

Mazer

My System

post #388 of 635 Old 10-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Sound and Vision Magazine review of the MTS system is now available online.
post #389 of 635 Old 10-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin View Post

Sound and Vision Magazine review of the MTS system is now available online.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ed:

I knew the MCS was going to be a 2.5. But I was surprised to read S/V's Daniel Kumin stating the MTS is a 2.5. Is this correct?
post #390 of 635 Old 10-09-2008, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the link Mazer. But I don't have the MBS, only the MTS and MCS. Does anyone know of a version1/version2 overlay for the other MTS system speakers?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page