SVS MTS Family - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 635 Old 09-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
bearchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for posting, robbroy!

Sounds like it will be worth going through the trouble of sending the MTS's back for upgrading. Though it will be a pain!
bearchan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 635 Old 09-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Senior Member
 
robbroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, it's a pain to box them all up again, but it is definitely worth it. These are completely different (and better) speakers with the new crossovers.

-Robb


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robbroy is offline  
post #363 of 635 Old 09-01-2008, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Temple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 8,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbroy View Post

Yeah, it's a pain to box them all up again, but it is definitely worth it. These are completely different (and better) speakers with the new crossovers.

-Robb

Why not just swap the crossovers?

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Ron Temple is offline  
post #364 of 635 Old 09-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Senior Member
 
robbroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Why not just swap the crossovers?

According to SVS it's such a pain that they don't feel it's a field serviceable swap.

-Robb


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robbroy is offline  
post #365 of 635 Old 09-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
bearchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbroy View Post

According to SVS it's such a pain that they don't feel it's a field serviceable swap.

-Robb

RobbRoy:

Was your MTS a new set or one that has been reworked by SVS?
bearchan is offline  
post #366 of 635 Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
 
ojready's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
what does MTM stand for?
ojready is offline  
post #367 of 635 Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

RobbRoy:

Was your MTS a new set or one that has been reworked by SVS?

Robb's M-series system is equipped with hand-built crossovers which are production-spec (i.e., the VTF tracks identically to the production samples).

The crossovers are currently in mass production and will be completed over the next three weeks as we ramp-up production again. The back-order list is large (and growing) and will be serviced first. Retrofits and new production are next, and will stream simultaneously.

I'll be coordinating retrofits; look for an update on the News page over the next few weeks on how to send-in your speakers for the new crossovers.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

Ed Mullen is offline  
post #368 of 635 Old 09-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Senior Member
 
robbroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

RobbRoy:

Was your MTS a new set or one that has been reworked by SVS?

It is one that has been re-worked by SVS.

-Robb

Looks like Ed was typing at the same time I was. His post has a lot more detail.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robbroy is offline  
post #369 of 635 Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Temple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 8,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojready View Post

what does MTM stand for?

Midwoofer - Tweeter - Midwoofer alignment...either vertically or horizontally in the center.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Ron Temple is offline  
post #370 of 635 Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 AM
arj
Member
 
arj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently I'm using the Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1 and Neo Center and would like to have the MBS-01 bookshelves as my next upgrade. The problem is, due to the size of the MCS-01 center speaker, I'm unable to accomodate it into my current setup. Would it be ok if I use the MBS-01 together with the Neo Center? Check out the specs of the Neo Center at the link below. Thanks.

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Pro...eaker-spec.asp
arj is offline  
post #371 of 635 Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Senior Member
 
robbroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arj View Post

Currently I'm using the Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1 and Neo Center and would like to have the MBS-01 bookshelves as my next upgrade. The problem is, due to the size of the MCS-01 center speaker, I'm unable to accomodate it into my current setup. Would it be ok if I use the MBS-01 together with the Neo Center? Check out the specs of the Neo Center at the link below. Thanks.

I'd be inclined to figure out a way to incorporate the larger MCS speaker (build a shelf, move units, etc.) than to pair those two. Besides, if you like the SVS MBS speakers as much as I do, you'll be looking for a way to incorporate the SVS MCS speaker anyway.

-Robb


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robbroy is offline  
post #372 of 635 Old 09-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
DamageMcRamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wakefield, RI
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This morning, I placed my order for the MTS 5.0 family. These speakers will be replacing my Infinity Alpha's for music and HT. I am very excited to hear these speakers. My 2 emails with Ed Mullen, and the fact that I appreciate what SVS is doing with the new x-overs sealed the deal for me.

If I don't find it was worth the upgrade, I can always return them, but I'm hoping that is not the case. These speakers have a look to them I really like, and the Sound & Vision review didn't do anything negative to a purchase I was already considering.

I'm really excited, I hope I don't have to wait too long. Since I do like bass, I would like to ask the owners of these speakers if their bass response is strong (MTS-01). I'm not expecting subwoofer type bass, but at least bass that I can feel in 2 channel. I am more interested in the accuracy of the speaker's, however. Hopefully, I'll be able to fit the center in my TV stand. It may require a bit of surgery, but even if I can't, I'll buy a new stand, or speaker stand.

If anyone would like to make me more excited by sharing their opinions of these speakers.....feel free!

Damon

I like Ice Cream!
DamageMcRamage is offline  
post #373 of 635 Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

This morning, I placed my order for the MTS 5.0 family. These speakers will be replacing my Infinity Alpha's for music and HT. I am very excited to hear these speakers. My 2 emails with Ed Mullen, and the fact that I appreciate what SVS is doing with the new x-overs sealed the deal for me.

If I don't find it was worth the upgrade, I can always return them, but I'm hoping that is not the case. These speakers have a look to them I really like, and the Sound & Vision review didn't do anything negative to a purchase I was already considering.

I'm really excited, I hope I don't have to wait too long. Since I do like bass, I would like to ask the owners of these speakers if their bass response is strong (MTS-01). I'm not expecting subwoofer type bass, but at least bass that I can feel in 2 channel. I am more interested in the accuracy of the speaker's, however. Hopefully, I'll be able to fit the center in my TV stand. It may require a bit of surgery, but even if I can't, I'll buy a new stand, or speaker stand.

If anyone would like to make me more excited by sharing their opinions of these speakers.....feel free!

Damon


I recommend you email Jan at L-Sound (our Euro dealer) at sales@lsound.no. He just completed a very thorough A-B of the 1st gen and 2nd gen M-series speakers. He is one of our toughest critics, actually, and his review was quite thorough and detailed.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

Ed Mullen is offline  
post #374 of 635 Old 09-16-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jephdood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
And, it would be nice if whatever he has to say was posted here (with permission).
jephdood is offline  
post #375 of 635 Old 09-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
bearchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

And, it would be nice if whatever he has to say was posted here (with permission).

I have just received a reply from Jan with his impressions of the MTS II(?). Jan was very positive about the MTS II.

Waiting for Jan's permission to post his reply here.
bearchan is offline  
post #376 of 635 Old 09-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Senior Member
 
robbroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

I'm really excited, I hope I don't have to wait too long. Since I do like bass, I would like to ask the owners of these speakers if their bass response is strong (MTS-01). I'm not expecting subwoofer type bass, but at least bass that I can feel in 2 channel. I am more interested in the accuracy of the speaker's, however. Hopefully, I'll be able to fit the center in my TV stand. It may require a bit of surgery, but even if I can't, I'll buy a new stand, or speaker stand.

Damon

The towers are virtually flat (and strong) down to 30 Hz, making them excellent two channel speakers. I had the first generation of these speakers, and am completely shocked how much better they are with the new crossovers. When I had the first generation, I wasn't sure if I was going to sell my (former) top-of-the-line Boston Acoustics, but now that I have the second generation SVS MTS speakers, the BAs are officially for sale.

-Robb


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robbroy is offline  
post #377 of 635 Old 09-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
DamageMcRamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wakefield, RI
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbroy View Post

The towers are virtually flat (and strong) down to 30 Hz, making them excellent two channel speakers. I had the first generation of these speakers, and am completely shocked how much better they are with the new crossovers. When I had the first generation, I wasn't sure if I was going to sell my (former) top-of-the-line Boston Acoustics, but now that I have the second generation SVS MTS speakers, the BAs are officially for sale.

-Robb

This is all very good to hear. The way SVS just up and changed everything on their dime in such an early part of the product's life cycle is amazing to me. I'm willing to bet most companies would have just ignored it, and let it sell as is. I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival.

I like Ice Cream!
DamageMcRamage is offline  
post #378 of 635 Old 09-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
bearchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, I want to say thanks to Jan for all the time he took communicating with me regarding his 'review'. Secondly, this 'review' was intended for internal use between L-Sound and SVS.

Here is Jan's 'review':


"I can give you my short version of the review (keep in mind I don't use any fancy abstract words);



- It is so much smoother than version 1; flatter response.

- Upper mid bass are better, tighter and stronger.

- Bass is very tight and gives plenty of power, even at louder levels set up at full range (without subwoofer). Version 1 sounded thin below 2-300Hz IMO, now it is full and rich.

- Upper midrange/lower tweeter section is of another world.

- The tweeter overall is finally performing what I can expect from this Hi-End tweeter from ScanSpeak; one of the best component on the market. In version 1 it totally collapsed at higher frequencies.

- Top end is much less recessed.

- It won't be stressed even at reference levels, and I mean NO stress at all.

- Soundstage is indeed improved.

- Details overall are heavily improved.

- I can finally play one of my favorites She wants revenge album on reference levels with no problems.

- Michael Jackson did sound good, but now even better. Reference ++ no problems.

- Dynamics which can't be compared to version 1.

- The speakers just takes what it gets from the 500W Rotel amplifier.

- Bottom line; it just went easily through the first session long session. These speakers are not improved, they are totally new speakers.



The speakers are insanely good and I didn't like the version 1. I like playing loud with lots of power but that doesn't mean I do care about that more than SQ. SQ is everything, volume is a bonus. I am also a dynamic addicted user and this speaker get me everything. Now, it plays even better than I could first ask for."


DamageMcRamage: Sounds like it will do 2ch stereo just fine, with enough bottom end to satisfy you needs.
bearchan is offline  
post #379 of 635 Old 09-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
DamageMcRamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wakefield, RI
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post



DamageMcRamage: Sounds like it will do 2ch stereo just fine, with enough bottom end to satisfy you needs.

Seems that way. Thanks for your thoughts Jan, also, thanks for posting this bearchan. I eagerly wait.

I like Ice Cream!
DamageMcRamage is offline  
post #380 of 635 Old 09-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Member
 
Youngster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please clarify. The v2 with the new crossover has been applied to the MBS, not just the MTS?
Youngster is offline  
post #381 of 635 Old 09-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
robbroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post

Please clarify. The v2 with the new crossover has been applied to the MBS, not just the MTS?

All of the M series speakers have new x-overs.

-Robb


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robbroy is offline  
post #382 of 635 Old 09-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Youngster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good. Thanks Robb.

I'm considering getting the SBS for surrounds. Would that be a mistake if my fronts and center are the MBS and MCS? It would save me about $700 which I could apply to the sub.
Youngster is offline  
post #383 of 635 Old 09-22-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post

Good. Thanks Robb.

I'm considering getting the SBS for surrounds. Would that be a mistake if my fronts and center are the MBS and MCS? It would save me about $700 which I could apply to the sub.

Timbre matching and overall sound quality of the S-series won't match the M-series, but it won't be completely incompatible either.

The choice depends on which will give you more payback, and that is a function of your current subwoofer. If your current subwoofer is really good, then get the MBS surrounds. If your current sub is the weak spot in your line-up, then I would definitely advise the SBS surround and investing in a new sub - you'll get more bang for the buck.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

Ed Mullen is offline  
post #384 of 635 Old 09-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Member
 
rjmelkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are there any measurements such as sr graph on the
redone MTS on the SVS website or possibly in a review?
rjmelkon is offline  
post #385 of 635 Old 09-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Member
 
Kmorel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to see some pre/post new crossover measurements with the same speaker.
Kmorel is offline  
post #386 of 635 Old 10-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Member
 
fatsow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just sent off my mts's and mcs to get the crossovers replaced. Anyone get thiers back yet with the new crossovers? I'm wondering the difference is SQ, and about how long it will take.
fatsow is offline  
post #387 of 635 Old 10-02-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mazersteven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post

I just sent off my mts's and mcs to get the crossovers replaced. Anyone get thiers back yet with the new crossovers? I'm wondering the difference is SQ, and about how long it will take.

http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/...hread.id=90463

Mazer

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mazersteven is offline  
post #388 of 635 Old 10-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
chengbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sound and Vision Magazine review of the MTS system is now available online.
chengbin is offline  
post #389 of 635 Old 10-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
bearchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin View Post

Sound and Vision Magazine review of the MTS system is now available online.

Thanks for the heads up.


Ed:

I knew the MCS was going to be a 2.5. But I was surprised to read S/V's Daniel Kumin stating the MTS is a 2.5. Is this correct?
bearchan is offline  
post #390 of 635 Old 10-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Member
 
Kmorel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the link Mazer. But I don't have the MBS, only the MTS and MCS. Does anyone know of a version1/version2 overlay for the other MTS system speakers?
Kmorel is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off