SVS MTS Family - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #511 of 640 Old 02-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Member
 
lakebum431's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can you give it a shot aaron?
lakebum431 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #512 of 640 Old 02-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Newbie
 
wickedjawsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this in the SBS thread first since I didn't know there was a MTS thread. Oops

I've had a 5.1 SVS SBS-01 setup for about a year with one of SVS's cylinder subs (currently called PC12-NSD, but went by a PC36-20 I think when I bought it.) I've planned from the beginning to upgrade to nicer fronts when I had saved up some more money for "toys." I'm currently using some Onkyo HTIB rear speakers as rears and the SBS-01 5.1 for the fronts/center/side/sub.

Lately I've been fighting the upgrade bug and have considered getting a pair of MTS-01 fronts and using my current SBS fronts to replace my junk rears for 7.1. I don't plan to upgrade the center yet, but maybe in another 6-12 months when money allows. My system is about 60:40 [movies/games]:[music].

I was wondering if anyone has any experience upgrading from SBS-01's to MTS-01's? Was it a huge difference?

Thanks in advance
wickedjawsh is offline  
post #513 of 640 Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
DamageMcRamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Charlestown, RI
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedjawsh View Post

I posted this in the SBS thread first since I didn't know there was a MTS thread. Oops

I've had a 5.1 SVS SBS-01 setup for about a year with one of SVS's cylinder subs (currently called PC12-NSD, but went by a PC36-20 I think when I bought it.) I've planned from the beginning to upgrade to nicer fronts when I had saved up some more money for "toys." I'm currently using some Onkyo HTIB rear speakers as rears and the SBS-01 5.1 for the fronts/center/side/sub.

Lately I've been fighting the upgrade bug and have considered getting a pair of MTS-01 fronts and using my current SBS fronts to replace my junk rears for 7.1. I don't plan to upgrade the center yet, but maybe in another 6-12 months when money allows. My system is about 60:40 [movies/games]:[music].

I was wondering if anyone has any experience upgrading from SBS-01's to MTS-01's? Was it a huge difference?

Thanks in advance

I have never heard the SBS series speakers. They seem to be well reviewed with many happy owners. I upgraded from Infinity Alpha's to the MTS, and the SVS speakers made me completely happy. The Alpha's were $1,000 speakers, and the MTS are a big leap forward in sound quality. I suspect you would feel the same if you go the MTS route. They are really great speakers. I know that this does not specifically answer your question, but I figured I'd share my experience with the MTS. Good luck.

I like Ice Cream!
DamageMcRamage is offline  
 
post #514 of 640 Old 02-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Newbie
 
mdbassplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am going to be auditioning some Monitor Audio RS6 floorstanding speakers next weekend but am also considering the MTS-01s.

Has anyone heard both and can give a comparison between the two?

They will be in an apartment den of about 13'x17' with an 8' opening into the kitchen area that is 15'x8'. Overall volume is not an issue (can't annoy the neighbors) but clarity of sound and not being overly fatiguing with some of my less well recorded music are my priorities.

I am going with floorstanders for stability purposes as well as being somewhat full range without a sub so bookshelf speakers are out.

They will be driven by my Denon 2809 for now and I will eventually get an amp when I move into a larger space and max volume can go up (if I feel the need).
mdbassplayer is offline  
post #515 of 640 Old 02-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Newbie
 
mdbassplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
and one more question... anyone with a set of either MBS or MTS speakers near Carroll County Maryland that would let me have a listen? I live in Eldersburg and would like to listen to a set before getting them shipped out.

I will pay for beverage and takeout if you like
mdbassplayer is offline  
post #516 of 640 Old 02-27-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,130
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbassplayer View Post

and one more question... anyone with a set of either MBS or MTS speakers near Carroll County Maryland that would let me have a listen? I live in Eldersburg and would like to listen to a set before getting them shipped out.

I will pay for beverage and takeout if you like

I'm in upstate NY if you are ever in the area and want an M-series demo. We do offer a 45-day in-home trial on all speakers and subs....

Did anyone ever resolve the center channel height issue mentioned above?

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #517 of 640 Old 02-27-2009, 09:25 PM
 
bearchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbassplayer View Post

I am going to be auditioning some Monitor Audio RS6 floorstanding speakers next weekend but am also considering the MTS-01s.

Has anyone heard both and can give a comparison between the two?

They will be in an apartment den of about 13'x17' with an 8' opening into the kitchen area that is 15'x8'. Overall volume is not an issue (can't annoy the neighbors) but clarity of sound and not being overly fatiguing with some of my less well recorded music are my priorities.

I am going with floorstanders for stability purposes as well as being somewhat full range without a sub so bookshelf speakers are out.

They will be driven by my Denon 2809 for now and I will eventually get an amp when I move into a larger space and max volume can go up (if I feel the need).

The mts's have very good extension and are flat out musical. They will fill the need for a really good 2 channel setup, very nicely. And will probably do well in a 2.0 ht setup, too. With the right source/amplification, fatigue is not an issue, at least not for me. I have listened the mts for hours without experiencing listener fatigue.

I initially ran my mts with a Denon 2807, which I believe is very similar to the 2809 in terms of audio processing and amplification. New amps will help, as the mts will sing with good watts driving them. Though the Denon 2807 did a credible job with the mts, I felt the mts really didn't begin to show it's stuff until I upgraded to a better(musicial) receiver (Marantz sr9600). So yes, the mts can use more power, but they can also benefit from a better front end, too. A lot people buy high end front ends and amps and hook them up to average speakers with minimal success. With the mts, they can match up well with good gear, IMO.

Good luck with hooking up with someone in your area.

BTW: Your shameless bribe may just work.
bearchan is offline  
post #518 of 640 Old 03-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
badahab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good to know that the MTS-01 can take advantage of some power. I'd hate for this new Emotiva XPA-3 of mine to go to waste...

Has anyone tried using the SBS-01 as surrounds with an MTS-MCS-MTS front three? I've heard the SBS-01 and think that they sound great... more than capable as a surround speaker. Just wondering if they are so different that it is distracting.

I can't wait to order my set. I'd do it now if I wasn't going to be out of pocket until its cold here again.

-Sean
badahab is offline  
post #519 of 640 Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 AM
Member
 
Cam McFarland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

Did anyone ever resolve the center channel height issue mentioned above?


Bump for Lakebum.....

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Cam McFarland is offline  
post #520 of 640 Old 03-07-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
neekos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Maybe it is my imagination, but it doesn't seem there are many MTS-01 owners out there.

They look impressive and am wondering how they compare to other speakers in their price range.
neekos is offline  
post #521 of 640 Old 03-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
DamageMcRamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Charlestown, RI
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

Maybe it is my imagination, but it doesn't seem there are many MTS-01 owners out there.

They look impressive and am wondering how they compare to other speakers in their price range.

This thread can get very quiet. There is a decent amount of people who own MTS speakers, but you're not going to see the traffic that the Infinity Primus or Paradigm owners thread's have.

I like the style of the speakers, but they sound much better than they look. Sound and Vision gave them a great review in their October issue. Head on over to their website and read it if you'd like. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the MTS speakers. Good luck.

I like Ice Cream!
DamageMcRamage is offline  
post #522 of 640 Old 03-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Member
 
Cam McFarland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
! am definitely no authority, but I am THRILLED with mine.....

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Cam McFarland is offline  
post #523 of 640 Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Joel Solid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Temecula California
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam McFarland View Post

! am definitely no authority, but I am THRILLED with mine.....

I'm in the same boat. Since speakers are not like projectors that need tweeking to get the most out of them they don't get as much backend talk. I have the updated crossovers and have been more then happy with my entirely SVS speaker/sub set up.
Joel Solid is offline  
post #524 of 640 Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Member
 
jurio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the MTS 5.1 setup. I am very very happy with the cost/performance of this setup.
jurio is offline  
post #525 of 640 Old 04-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Member
 
Cam McFarland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do have one question regarding the sub, is it OK to leave it powered on 24/7??

TIA,

- Cam

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Cam McFarland is offline  
post #526 of 640 Old 04-03-2009, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Maestro J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Cam - I was told my SVS support that it is okay to leave the sub on 24/7 so I leave mine on. The only time I'll physically turn it off will be if I know I'm not going to use it for a few days.
Maestro J is offline  
post #527 of 640 Old 04-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Member
 
jurio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam McFarland View Post

I do have one question regarding the sub, is it OK to leave it powered on 24/7??

TIA,

- Cam

If you leave it on auto mode, it puts itself in standby after inactivity
jurio is offline  
post #528 of 640 Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
DamageMcRamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Charlestown, RI
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam McFarland View Post

I do have one question regarding the sub, is it OK to leave it powered on 24/7??

TIA,

- Cam

I leave mine on 24/7. Been that way for over a year and no problems. I like it better this way, you don't have to wait for the sub to detect a bass signal.

I like Ice Cream!
DamageMcRamage is offline  
post #529 of 640 Old 04-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Member
 
Cam McFarland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies guys.....

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Cam McFarland is offline  
post #530 of 640 Old 04-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Nels07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ames, Ia
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone have any experience between the MTS-01's and B&W 683's? and also MBS-01's compared to the B&W 685's. on the fence and any input would be greatly appreciated. if it matters i will be hooking them up to an Elite SC-05 reciever
Nels07 is offline  
post #531 of 640 Old 04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Nels07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ames, Ia
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What is the biggest difference in the MTS to the LTS speakers? the LTS are supposed to be the new flagship latest and greatest SVS speakers but are about $600 cheaper. im confused
Nels07 is offline  
post #532 of 640 Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 PM
 
bearchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think you are confusing the LTS with the STS series speakers. The LTS hasn't been released yet.
bearchan is offline  
post #533 of 640 Old 04-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Nels07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ames, Ia
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yep that's what I did. Looked at the new sts towers. Anyone know when they are coming out or how they will compare to the mts towers?
Nels07 is offline  
post #534 of 640 Old 05-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Member
 
Crosby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels07 View Post

Yep that's what I did. Looked at the new sts towers. Anyone know when they are coming out or how they will compare to the mts towers?

There website states late this year. Hard to speculate on forthcoming speakers, I'm debating myself, wait or pull the trigger on the MTS 5.1 system. I've auditioned some other brands but I'm dying to hear the MTS speakers, for the money and the customer service reputation, seems like there hard to beat. I'm surprised SVS doesn't have a larger following. I shot SVS an email on the LTS line, I'll post anything I learn..
Crosby is offline  
post #535 of 640 Old 05-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Member
 
ProKarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels07 View Post

Does anyone have any experience between the MTS-01's and B&W 683's? and also MBS-01's compared to the B&W 685's. on the fence and any input would be greatly appreciated. if it matters i will be hooking them up to an Elite SC-05 reciever

+1

I'm in the same boat, but will be hooked up to a Denon 3808. Looking at purchasing later this year. So if anybody has heard both in the same room, please comment with any impressions you had.

thanks
ProKarter is offline  
post #536 of 640 Old 05-16-2009, 05:21 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 30,952
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6181 Post(s)
Liked: 3839
My MTS system sounds excellent with my Denon 3808. I have the seven speaker setup with a 2039pc+ sub.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #537 of 640 Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Member
 
jurio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Using MTS 5.1 system (PB13 Ultra), which I love btw.

Is the Tweeter Attenuation setting the same as Treble setting on the AVR? As an example, if I set the Treble to -3db on the AVR, would it achieve the same thing as setting the Tweeter Attenuation to -3db on the speaker.
jurio is offline  
post #538 of 640 Old 05-19-2009, 06:08 PM
 
bearchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurio View Post

Using MTS 5.1 system (PB13 Ultra), which I love btw.

Is the Tweeter Attenuation setting the same as Treble setting on the AVR? As an example, if I set the Treble to -3db on the AVR, would it achieve the same thing as setting the Tweeter Attenuation to -3db on the speaker.

Most likely not. Unless the avr treble is hinged at the same frequency with the same slope, etc.

BTW: Congrats on your purchase of the MTS/pb13!
bearchan is offline  
post #539 of 640 Old 05-20-2009, 05:35 AM
Member
 
Cam McFarland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

mostly likely not. Unless the avr treble is hinged at the same frequency with the same slope, etc.

btw: Congrats on your purchase of the mts/pb13!

+1

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Cam McFarland is offline  
post #540 of 640 Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
DamageMcRamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Charlestown, RI
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurio View Post

Using MTS 5.1 system (PB13 Ultra), which I love btw.

Is the Tweeter Attenuation setting the same as Treble setting on the AVR? As an example, if I set the Treble to -3db on the AVR, would it achieve the same thing as setting the Tweeter Attenuation to -3db on the speaker.

I find the tweeters so smooth on these speakers that I haven't even tried the -3db attenuation, and I have a small room. I have to have it LOUD before it becomes anything close to fatiguing. Congrats on your setup. Someday, I'll own the Ultra.

I like Ice Cream!
DamageMcRamage is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off