post #211 of 635 Old 01-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post

Scan speak is known for a smoother, sometimes laidback sound. Although the 6600 apparently was not quite as laidback as past tweeters. Regardless Scanspeak has never made a bright or harsh tweeter that I've ever heard about.

Interesting comparison to the Aerials. Those Aerial woofers kind of look like the Peerless HDS poly woofers, in the same family as the HDS Nomex woofers used on these SVS's. Those poly's were laminated to which makes me think those really are Peerless HDS Poly's in the Aerial.

Thanks augerpro I thinking your right. I don't think SVS would go with a birght tweeter as they tend to go for a netural sound. HMmm thats interesting about the woofers aswell. Than makes me wonder what the LTS line will have diriver wise maybe so woofers from scan speak.. hmmmm

But I wouldn't be surprised if these speakers where like I already stated very completive. SVS is for the most part on line and also doesn't charge huge margins to comp senate for dealers sales. So like the Ultra 13 theses speakers should be very nice.

Oh and the sealed mod seems very interesting aswell.

ShaunH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 635 Old 01-13-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

HMmm thats interesting about the woofers aswell.

I could very well be wrong on that, I just thought it was interesting that Aerial mentioned that they were bilaminate poly cones. The only other place I've seen that is the Peerless HDS poly cones.
post #213 of 635 Old 01-13-2008, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually the prices for these speakers is pretty incredible. It kind of worries actually. Maybe they skimped somewhere like the crossover or maybe teh cabinet? Or maybe a price hike will come soon. I think that is pretty likely actually.
post #214 of 635 Old 01-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually the prices for these speakers is pretty incredible. It kind of worries actually. Maybe they skimped somewhere like the crossover or maybe teh cabinet? Or maybe a price hike will come soon. I think that is pretty likely actually.

No I don't think SVS dosen't play that game or at least to my knowledge. For instance look at the new Ultra 13 world class product and not cheaped out on.

Also svs keeps price pretty stedy I don't think they would pull the price hike. I don't know it just dosen't seem like they would do start that kinda stuff now.

ShaunH
post #215 of 635 Old 01-13-2008, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not saying SVS plays games like that at all. I'm just saying the profit margin may not be sustainable and they may decide to hike prices a bit. I'm sure it wouldn't be something they'd want to do, but may be forced to do. The driver industry is changing rapidly right now, combined with rising cost of raw materials like copper and some of these things become inevitable.
post #216 of 635 Old 01-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not saying SVS plays games like that at all. I'm just saying the profit margin may not be sustainable and they may decide to hike prices a bit. I'm sure it wouldn't be something they'd want to do, but may be forced to do.

Ya I see where your comming from.

I'm still hoping somone will comment on the lack of bass response thats still confusing me a bit.

ShaunH
post #217 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
isnt the reason why they are so cheap is becuase they miss the middleman and u buy direct from svs?
post #218 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

They are putting a $200 tweeter (single, not pair) in a $999 speaker. Usually a $200 goes in a speaker than is close or over a 5 digit price. Usually a $1000 speaker have a $20-50 tweeter, not $200 per tweeter. Doesn't matter if it is internet direct or brick and mortar,

I've asked SVS about the sound quality of the MTS speakers. They said that the MTS speaker's goal is accuracy, not warm, not forward, but true to the source.
post #219 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin View Post

They are putting a $200 tweeter (single, not pair) in a $999 speaker. Usually a $200 goes in a speaker than is close or over a 5 digit price. Usually a $1000 speaker have a $20-50 tweeter, not $200 per tweeter. Doesn't matter if it is internet direct or brick and mortar,

I've asked SVS about the sound quality of the MTS speakers. They said that the MTS speaker's goal is accuracy, not warm, not forward, but true to the source.

I have a feeling that as long as they can keep on making a profit that they are safe... they wouldn't have produced product line if they felt they couldn't be competitive and make a profit. Buying in bulk makes a big difference, and some companies are more prone to gouging, instead of being in it for the long haul and making it up in volume. Thats the way I run my business, Keep the prices low, and lots of volume.

My customers come up to me all the time and say, I can't ever remember you raising your prices.

Talking about bulk
I can see them running with the idea that if this tweeter is the best of the best.. they use it in the LTS speakers... going with a larger 3 way design, hopefully with larger drivers like 7 or 7.5" and a nicer cabinet.
post #220 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

I have a feeling that as long as they can keep on making a profit that they are safe... they wouldn't have produced product line if they felt they couldn't be competitive and make a profit. Buying in bulk makes a big difference, and some companies are more prone to gouging, instead of being in it for the long haul and making it up in volume. Thats the way I run my business, Keep the prices low, and lots of volume.

My customers come up to me all the time and say, I can't ever remember you raising your prices.

Talking about bulk
I can see them running with the idea that if this tweeter is the best of the best.. they use it in the LTS speakers... going with a larger 3 way design, hopefully with larger drivers like 7 or 7.5" and a nicer cabinet.

Ya I think your right warp. I'm going to out on a limb here for a sec. I think the LTS will probably have the same roundedness and black with premium sides probably just going all the way down the speaker. I would guess they would go with drivers from the scan speak Revelator line or maybe SEAS. I remember tom saying they where using around 1000 dollars of drivers in each LTS tower prototype. Really this shouldn't be a surprise I mean this how SVS has done things for as long as I can remember.

Oh and anyone owns these a full report is in order.lol

Hopefully we will see some pro reviews soon.

ShaunH
post #221 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a feeling that the LTS cabinets are gong to be fully laminated, the whole entire speaker, "cost-no-object". Looking at what they do with their subs - Rosenut is beautiful.. they do a great job on cabinets.. and with that ability under their belts already, its just a matter of coming up with a design layout. I would even like to think that they could possibly use a new exotic wood laminate just for the high end line... for something truly unique !!
post #222 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmm thats good to hear on the sound front. I figured that they would go netural with the sound and i'm happy to hear that I was right. A lot of speakers can simply sound bad to me if the tweeter is too hot.

Quote:

I have a feeling that the LTS cabinets are gong to be fully laminated, the whole entire speaker, "cost-no-object". Looking at what they do with their subs - Rosenut is beautiful.. they do a great job on cabinets.. and with that ability under their belts already, its just a matter of coming up with a design layout. I would even like to think that they could possibly use a new exotic wood laminate just for the high end line... for something truly unique !!

Hmm ya thats a good point. I think exotic or special wood offers aren't out of the question.

I was thinking about what subs will be paired with the LTS line and I was thinking we might see the PBultra13/2 come to production to accompany the LTS speakers. Seeing as the single ultra is already paired with the MTS line.

ShaunH
post #223 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 04:03 PM

I am with Jephdood on this one. I have a hard time seeing that this speaker would even come close to the Aerial 9b let alone the 7b's. If they do I will also be on the phone tomorrow buying a set.

Quote:

Scan speak is known for a smoother, sometimes laidback sound. Although the 6600 apparently was not quite as laidback as past tweeters. Regardless Scanspeak has never made a bright or harsh tweeter that I've ever heard about.

Interesting comparison to the Aerials. Those Aerial woofers kind of look like the Peerless HDS poly woofers, in the same family as the HDS Nomex woofers used on these SVS's. Those poly's were laminated to which makes me think those really are Peerless HDS Poly's in the Aerial.

post #224 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple View Post

I am with Jephdood on this one. I have a hard time seeing that this speaker would even come close to the Aerial 9b let alone the 7b's. If they do I will also be on the phone tomorrow buying a set.

I'm not going to say for sure either way. They may not match from an extension stand point but I wouldn't be surprised if they came close to the Arerails or at least one of there smaller towers in sound quality. But thats really up in the air.

But I would again like to point out that SVS hit a home run with the Ultra 13 so I wouldn't be surprised if these fallowed suit.

They should be a very fine speaker regardless of there price.

ShaunH
post #225 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Well it looks like I will find out soon enough... Just got a delivery email.
I usually get delivery's within 2-3days... Ohio to Milwaukee....
post #226 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Oh, PLEASE report back. Laid back, neutral, bright/detailed? And, what you'd compare them to, and how they compare with whatever else you've had.
post #227 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

Oh, PLEASE report back. Laid back, neutral, bright/detailed? And, what you'd compare them to, and how they compare with whatever else you've had.

sure will... with pics
I'll be putting them up against what I have in my house...

10yr old Polk LS-70 - (nice smooth high end, but has cabinet resonances, and total lack of midrange)

Paradigm Studio .v4 system 100's 690 20's, single adp 590 -Rotel 1095 for power. (Can be bright at times, punchy in the midbass, but accurate)

Dana 630 (accurate, clean, tonally balanced, smooth-highs, could have a heavier cabinet)

Lower end help..
Dual Plus/2's
PB12-Plus
SB12-Plus

DIY 15" TC-2000's (so far un-finished)
post #228 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah.. comparison to the Danas would be nice. Had a pair of 930's in here for awhile... and a comparison to the Paradigms would be good also. Have heard them before, and they were a bit much up top for my ears. But in both cases, good comparison points.

Looking forward to it.
post #229 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

You know a review is inevitable once you told us that the speakers are coming. We are looking forward to your impressions.
post #230 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know a review is inevitable once you told us that the speakers are coming. We are looking forward to your impressions.

Hehhehe Why did I open my big mouth...

I agree, the dana's are pretty neat little speakers for the price I paid... and as for the Paradigms, I trim the high end out of the speaker to tame them, I have sensitive ears and my great room is bright, but overall I couldn't say I didn't like the speakers, They are fantastic, and only having to EQ out the upper end a touch didn't prevent me from buying them.

And you guys have nothing to say about the Polk's.. I thought they were the kats @$$ when I bought them.. there definately are better sounding models. Either way, its a reference point...
post #231 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well I took delivery of my Gloss Black 7.0 Full Size set up last Friday and was very impressed with the look and feel of the individual components. I'm matching them with my Dual PB2+ subs and Onkyo 805 receiver. I know it is sad but I haven't hook them up yet. I got stuck building kids furniture all weekend. I'll keep you posted. Somehow I'm positive I'm going to be happy.
post #232 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Dude!

How are we supposed to live vicariously through you when you're assembling a My Little Pony toy bench?

Wire 'em up! Sleep is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Solid View Post

Well I took delivery of my Gloss Black 7.0 Full Size set up last Friday and was very impressed with the look and feel of the individual components. I'm matching them with my Dual PB2+ subs and Onkyo 805 receiver. I know it is sad but I haven't hook them up yet. I got stuck building kids furniture all weekend. I'll keep you posted. Somehow I'm positive I'm going to be happy.

post #233 of 635 Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dude!

How are we supposed to live vicariously through you when you're assembling a My Little Pony toy bench?

Wire 'em up! Sleep is overrated.

I agree drink some coffee and get to work.lol

Really it should be considered a crime.ROFL

ShaunH
post #234 of 635 Old 01-15-2008, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey. These speakers aren't going to review themselves...
post #235 of 635 Old 01-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey. These speakers aren't going to review themselves...

Ya no kidding I was expecting a little more fan fair come on folks I know there shipping.lol

ShaunH
post #236 of 635 Old 01-15-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

Ya no kidding I was epxcting a litle more fan fair come on folks I know there shipping.lol

Mine will be here tomorrow, I get them delivered to me at work...

I will report back sometime late tomorrow evening...
post #237 of 635 Old 01-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mine will be here tomorrow, I get them delivered to me at work...

I will report back sometime late tomorrow evening...

Thanks Warp

ShaunH
post #238 of 635 Old 01-16-2008, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's a few pictures to tide you guys over
Notice the SMS-1 picture, there is NO eq being used here and NO sub.
Pretty impressive........
I'm driving them with a Citation 7.1 in bridged mode,
so that's 450x2 into 8ohm
Prepro is the Onkyo 905 receiver.

First impression of their sonic character, after about an hour of listening, .... two words,
Very Neutral
but I don't want to go any further until I've had some time with them.

dc
LL
LL
LL

StayThristyMyFriends
post #239 of 635 Old 01-16-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

Here's a few pictures to tide you guys over
Notice the SMS-1 picture, there is NO eq being used here and NO sub.
Pretty impressive........
I'm driving them with a Citation 7.1 in bridged mode,
so that's 450x2 into 8ohm
Prepro is the Onkyo 905 receiver.

First impression of their sonic character, after about an hour of listening, .... two words,
Very Neutral
but I don't want to go any further until I've had some time with them.

dc

Now thats impressive, and seeing as you have an Ultra13 its pretty clear you don't have the sub on... Thanks for the pics dc...
Appreciate you graphing them out on the SMS for us... Flat down 30hz... I would assume that room gain has something to do with this.....? Are those apsorption panels on both sides of the screen...? who makes them.. ?
post #240 of 635 Old 01-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

So did the speakers arrive yet Warp??? What is a good price for a SMS-1?? I keep reading that everyone has one.. I am starting to think that I need one

-------------------------------
My Setup Slideshow
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page