post #631 of 15479 Old 09-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyboy View Post

Hi Piturra, thanks for your reply. It caught me by surprise. I was expecting a reply more along the lines of "going with the manufacturers recommendation"

Your welcome! Usually, when there is no 3rd party benchmark review available, you won't go wrong ...

... "going with the manufacturers recommendation"!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyboy View Post

... However, being the cautious person that I am, I re-read that sound/vision article and note that the reviewer is using L820's as mains and L810's as surrounds. The review does not report impedance tests for the L880's or L890's that myself and janus00 will be using. I am looking for impedance tests on those speakers at the moment. If the L880/890's test at a closer value to 8 ohms than their smaller system brothers would the fact that they are the largest speakers of the set change your recommendation for amplifier ohm setting? I look forward to and appreciate your input. Thanks.

Your wish is my command, and based on this "Sterophile" JBL Studio L880 loudspeaker Review / Benchmark by Robert J. Reina, September, 2006 , ... the same recommendation to switch your AV Rec/AMP = 4 ohms applies.

Here's a partial quote ...

Quote:

Sidebar 3: Measurements

... Its impedance, however, drops to 3.82 ohms at 170Hz (fig.1), which, in combination with a moderately high electrical phase angle of -51° at 84Hz, where the magnitude is a still-quite-low 5.1 ohms, means that an amplifier or receiver rated at 4 ohms will work best with this speaker.

Enjoy the review (linked above)!

I would say based on the following three L-Series benchmarks, the same would apply to the L890.

Since the introduction of the "N" & "S" Series around 1998, anytime that JBL is reviewed & benchmark, ... JBL has garnered more rave and accolade reviews all because Dr. Floyd Toole recommended to Greg Timbers, JBL Chief Development Engineer to utilize many of the same leading-edge testing and design technologies included in their Professional Series LSR Linear Spatial Reference studio monitors, ... which allowed home listeners to enjoy the same neutral, uncolored, detailed and spatially accurate sound quality heard by the pros. Adding the Elliptical Oblate Spheroid (EOS) waveguide to the N-, S-, E- & L-Series helped their consumer Titanium dome tweeters to imitate their JBL TEC-Award LSR Studio Monitor's by design, ... delivers the same response off-axis as it does on-axis and directs sound toward the listening area, not off the side walls, for a wider soundfield with more precise imaging and localization.

Love my JBL S26's (x6), JBL S-Center & SVS 25-31PCi!!!

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 15479 Old 09-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post

I am curious if anyone has actually damaged an amp from an under resistance 890. I have a hard time believing JBL would rate them at 8 ohm nominal (which is what a huge majority of the other home audio speakers are) and then produce speakers that would be 2x overdriving amplifiers.

I set my amp to 4 ohms last night, but the more I think about it I will probably put it back to what the speaker is specc'd for.

I just responded to Krazyboy posts, and I would recommend if you play your HT blockbuster DVD / HD DVD movies** @ -10 dBc below REF Level (w/105-106 dBc LFE Fast SPL Peaks), to leave it @ 4 ohms since it won't effect the sonic quality at all. Besides, ... your AV Rec/AMP would run cooler throughout the movie and prevent the possiblility with your AV Rec/AMP 'shutting-down' automatically due to overheating.

NOTE: If you don't play your HT blockbuster movies or music CD's loud (i.e., less than 95 dBc LFE Fast SPL Peaks), then leave it @ 8 ohms.

**Example: The upcoming "Transformers" HD DVD w/DD+ 5.1 movie is one that justifies watching the movie @ the full-blown Cinematic Theater SPL Impact Level, ... and I plan to watch that @ -10 dBc below REF LEVEL!!!

Phil
post #633 of 15479 Old 09-28-2007, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Their site says it's only available in black. This could be interesting.

That IS interesting. Please keep us posted.

Well, lemme see if I can figure out pictures here. The grill just arrived and it is, indeed, black. I love it; it's like taking the WalMart chick to Bloomingdales . Now, I have to figure out how to get black JBL grills for the rest of the set without paying a couple hundred bucks for them.

Left channel vs. right channel (apologies for the mess):

Ultimately, I'll probably make my own black grills; it's just a shame JBL picked silver for the Venues -- they look so much better in black.
post #634 of 15479 Old 09-28-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Wow, what a difference!

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #635 of 15479 Old 09-28-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Yes, that black grill looks terrific. I don't understand the stylized-silver look that got so popular in the early part of this century with many manufacturers. It's ugly, IMHO.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #636 of 15479 Old 09-28-2007, 06:52 PM

What are the recommended options on the back for a JBL SUB 12? It's connected to my Sony AMP via the LFE jack. Thanks.
post #637 of 15479 Old 09-29-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailTheHD View Post

What are the recommended options on the back for a JBL SUB 12? It's connected to my Sony AMP via the LFE jack. Thanks.

I have the crossover set right in the middle (12 oclock) and the level set to about 1 oclock. Ultimately though, you should set it to whatever sounds best to you.
post #638 of 15479 Old 09-29-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post

I am curious if anyone has actually damaged an amp from an under resistance 890. I have a hard time believing JBL would rate them at 8 ohm nominal (which is what a huge majority of the other home audio speakers are) and then produce speakers that would be 2x overdriving amplifiers.

I set my amp to 4 ohms last night, but the more I think about it I will probably put it back to what the speaker is specc'd for.

As you stated the L890s are NOMINAL 8 ohms. They will go to less, as the signal's frequency changes. The L890s work just find with an 8 ohm amp.
I was using a Denon 80wpc digital receiver to drive a pair of L890s. It was a bit underpowered, but it never went into clipping. Never over heated.
I've also had the L890s driven by a Parasound 220wpc 8ohm amp, and again no problems.
post #639 of 15479 Old 09-29-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post

Well, lemme see if I can figure out pictures here. The grill just arrived and it is, indeed, black. I love it; it's like taking the WalMart chick to Bloomingdales . Now, I have to figure out how to get black JBL grills for the rest of the set without paying a couple hundred bucks for them.

Left channel vs. right channel (apologies for the mess):

Ultimately, I'll probably make my own black grills; it's just a shame JBL picked silver for the Venues -- they look so much better in black.

The black does look nice, did you get it from JBL?
Looking at your pic, I can see some women liking the silver grills, in a room with light colored walls, so the speakers don't have that "stand out" look.
post #640 of 15479 Old 09-29-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

The black does look nice, did you get it from JBL?
Looking at your pic, I can see some women liking the silver grills, in a room with light colored walls, so the speakers don't have that "stand out" look.

Yeah, the grill did come from JBL. My Stadiums are about a week old and one of them arrived with a warped grill; like it might have been subjected to some heat. I ordered the replacement under warranty and got the black one. The dilemma now is that I like the black better, and have 5 other JBL speakers with silver grills. I've got part numbers for the grill on the Monitors and the Voice, but they don't specify color. No part numbers at all on the Sub12.

I might be willing to pay a hundred bucks or so to replace them all in black, but it'd be easy enough to roll my own.

FWIW, my wife much prefers the black. And the speakers look best nekkid, too!
post #641 of 15479 Old 09-29-2007, 11:55 PM

im slowly upgrading my 5.0 setup and just got the jbl balboa center now im lookin to upgrade the fronts now the big questions is get the balboa bookshelfs or the venue bookshelf or the balboa 30 floorstanders?

also my receiver is kinda old its a yamaha htr-5240 i really would like to upgrade my speakers before i do this one.. its a little weak on watts though.

to timbre the lcr do you match the midwoofer or the tweeter from the center to the fronts? the balboa 10s have a 5'' woofer but the 30's have a 6'' and a 4'' but all them have the 3/4'' tweeter.. can someone help me out here?
post #642 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 02:14 AM

post #643 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkjets00 View Post

im slowly upgrading my 5.0 setup and just got the jbl balboa center now im lookin to upgrade the fronts now the big questions is get the balboa bookshelfs or the venue bookshelf or the balboa 30 floorstanders?

also my receiver is kinda old its a yamaha htr-5240 i really would like to upgrade my speakers before i do this one.. its a little weak on watts though.

to timbre the lcr do you match the midwoofer or the tweeter from the center to the fronts? the balboa 10s have a 5'' woofer but the 30's have a 6'' and a 4'' but all them have the 3/4'' tweeter.. can someone help me out here?

Stay in the same series and if you have the room/budget get the floorstanders. Bigger is better.
post #644 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 10:38 AM

I have a question guys, I need to have a speaker stand for my LS and RS so instead of getting the JBL L810 I was thinking of getting a floor stand one, smaller than the L890 fronts I have in mind, which will look better and sound better? I was looking into keeping it in the family so I want to get a JBL too. Any recommendation?
post #645 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlakaaa3 View Post

I have a question guys, I need to have a speaker stand for my LS and RS so instead of getting the JBL L810 I was thinking of getting a floor stand one, smaller than the L890 fronts I have in mind, which will look better and sound better? I was looking into keeping it in the family so I want to get a JBL too. Any recommendation?

They should be timbre matched. So the best choice would either be the 890s or the 880s.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #646 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlakaaa3 View Post

If you're going with the Studio L series and you want floorstanding side surrounds, then the only option is the L880, the smaller version of the L890.
As for what will look better, a floor model or a sat on a stand, in the middle of a room, is a mixed bag, at best.
You will pay quite a bit more for a pair of L880s over a pair of L810, L820, L830.
There are both pros and cons about using full range speakers all around.
Check out this Harman white paper, by Dr Floyd Toole.

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/Loudspe...ndRoomsPt3.pdf
post #647 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:

They should be timbre matched. So the best choice would either be the 890s or the 880s.

Thanks, but don't you think the 890s or the 88s are really big for a LS and RS since I might have the 820s as RB and LB ..

Thanks again
post #648 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

If you're going with the Studio L series and you want floorstanding side surrounds, then the only option is the L880, the smaller version of the L890.
As for what will look better, a floor model or a sat on a stand, in the middle of a room, is a mixed bag, at best.
You will pay quite a bit more for a pair of L880s over a pair of L810, L820, L830.
There are both pros and cons about using full range speakers all around.
Check out this Harman white paper, by Dr Floyd Toole.

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/Loudspe...ndRoomsPt3.pdf

Of course, I will pay more for a pair of 880 and it will not make the speaker in the middle of the room looks better. I think I will be better of with a pair of 820s on a stand rather than 880 in the middle of the room.

Thanks for the paper .. printing looks like it have a lot of information
post #649 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 08:15 PM

So I've finally completed my budget HT set-up:

Center: S-center
Fronts: S310ii
Surrounds: S36iiPM x4
Sub: Infinity alpha 1200s

However, I've been wanting a pair of L890s for my fronts. Do you guys think that they're that much of an upgrade from the S310s, or should I spend my limited funds elsewhere, like on an actual 7.1 receiver?
post #650 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't heard the new studio series, but I'd make room for the possibility that the S310s are better.

Where did you pick up all these S-series speakers?

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at http://realht.info, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/realhtinfo/videos
post #651 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_creativity View Post

However, I've been wanting a pair of L890s for my fronts. Do you guys think that they're that much of an upgrade from the S310s, or should I spend my limited funds elsewhere, like on an actual 7.1 receiver?

That is a nice setup you have there. If I were you, since you don't have a really nice receiver, I'd put the money toward a receiver with some nice wattage to make those speakers sing a pretty song. Those speakers may not be the lastest trend, but they can produce very nice audio. I would look into ways to treat your room with proper dampening materials, speaker placement, subwoofer calibration, and all that good stuff. All that combined with a nice customizable reciever well... you could have a pretty awesome sounding setup man .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #652 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is a nice setup you have there. If I were you, since you don't have a really nice receiver, I'd put the money toward a receiver with some nice wattage to make those speakers sing a pretty song. Those speakers may not be the lastest trend, but they can produce very nice audio. I would look into ways to treat your room with proper dampening materials, speaker placement, subwoofer calibration, and all that good stuff. All that combined with a nice customizable reciever well... you could have a pretty awesome sounding setup man .

This is GREAT advice...doesn't come any better. Everyone forgets the importance of room treatments. So keep that in mind down the road.

I have the S312's and S38's and let me tell you, I've put them up against some nice, modern, highly recommended speakers. It has been unanymous. Everyone that heard the A/B tests picked the JBL's over other "boutique" quality loudspeakers. I don't wish to slam other speakers...especially since they are such a highly subjective audio element. But especially for HT, you're going to thoroughly enjoy your setup.

As Smarty_Pants suggests, the Studio S-series isn't the latest lemming trend. But they'll give you plenty of value laden, equivalent quality audio.

EDIT: One thing I did....I wanted a wood cabinet center channel and more or less designed my credenza around my equipment, but especially the EC35. It fits like a glove in the cabinet and timbre matches the Studios perfectly.

MARGARITAS,
post #653 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Costa CA View Post

Couldn't find any new EC35s being sold. Don't want a retread as I don't know how they treated it.

I wish you didn't have your PM blocked. I found some new EC35s for sale, but they will probably be gone VERY QUICKLY. PM me if you're interested.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #654 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_creativity View Post

No...I do not believe they are an upgrade. They are equivalent, IMHO. Get a nice quality receiver with that money....say a Yamaha RX-V659 for under $300-400. That will drive your speakers beautifully.

MARGARITAS,
post #655 of 15479 Old 09-30-2007, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 90
no_creativity:

I think the L890s would be an improvement, but they might not mix seamlessly with your other Studio Series speakers. When I read your post quickly, I misread your fronts as S312s, which I thought, man keep those, forget the L890s, but now that I see you have S310s, I'd say the L890s are an upgrade.

Still, you should follow the other advice you got here and look at a better receiver and some room treatments as ways to improve your current system. If it were me, I'd look out for an S312 or better yet an S412 if I wanted to add more oomph to the front, AFTER I got a better receiver and worked on the room. Either will fit in better than L890s with your other speakers.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #656 of 15479 Old 10-01-2007, 04:48 AM

Thanks all for the advice! I think my itch to upgrade my speakers is gone for now. Anyone have opinions on which brand of receivers would best drive the studio series? I heard one vote for Yamaha.
post #657 of 15479 Old 10-01-2007, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A lot of people say that the Harman Kardon receivers match very well with JBL speakers.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #658 of 15479 Old 10-01-2007, 08:49 AM

Well I went and bought a wall mount TV bracket to mount my center channel over my new DLP TV. I must say it worked like a charm!!!

Here are some pictures of the setup:

And here is a pic of the final (for now till I get the L890s) setup:

post #659 of 15479 Old 10-01-2007, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice job!

MARGARITAS,
post #660 of 15479 Old 10-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFyre22 View Post

Well I went and bought a wall mount TV bracket to mount my center channel over my new DLP TV. I must say it worked like a charm!!!

I can't tell from the photos. Do you have it tethered/bolted on that stand some how or is it just friction holding it on?

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at http://realht.info, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/realhtinfo/videos
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Jbl , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Center Channel Speakers , Athena
Gear in this thread - G200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page