The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 15317 Old 10-29-2007, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
now thats something i havent thought about. Ill take that into consideration. Thanks for the input. Anyone ever heard both of these series of speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks Smarty-pants, I will check that out.

With my pull down screen and other challenges in my living room I think floor standers would be better. It used to be a dedicated space but we needed space for other reasons that took priority. Merging a living room with a tv, 2 couches and other things with a room with 1 couch, 119" pull down screen, 7.1 audio etc. presented some challenges.

I think the tower speakers will help, adding an IB sub will get rid of a big box in the corner. I'm also going to replace the 32" tv with a flat panel right behind the screen. My motorcycle budget has once again gone right out the window!
post #813 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 09:46 AM

Anybody powering their studio L Series with the Denon 4308ci? I'm leaning more and more toward this AVR, but some folks(a few, not all) in the Receivers forum have contended that the Denons are bright in general. I'm concerned that a bright recevier may not be the best match for the Studio L's with the Ultra-high frq. driver, i.e. biright avr and (to some) bright speakers = bleeding ears.

What are some opinions on a ~$2000 avr that would mate well with these?
post #814 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docj04 View Post

Anybody powering their studio L Series with the Denon 4308ci? I'm leaning more and more toward this AVR, but some folks(a few, not all) in the Receivers forum have contended that the Denons are bright in general. I'm concerned that a bright recevier may not be the best match for the Studio L's with the Ultra-high frq. driver, i.e. biright avr and (to some) bright speakers = bleeding ears.

What are some opinions on a ~$2000 avr that would mate well with these?

I don't know about the Denon 4308ci. But last year I bought a Denon stereo receiver for a pair of L890s and it worked quite well with them. Although the same receiver wasn't very good with my custom L212s, I ended up buying a 30 year old set of HK pre-amp/power amp combo for the L212s.
I do have a Denon 1920ci dvd player that I use for my PT800s, which are all Ti drivers, it sounds very good.
I do know that HK receivers work very well with JBL speakers.
post #815 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 10:19 AM

Harman Kardon doesn't offer enough "stuff" as the 4308ci does(wifi being a great one). I'd like to buy a receiver that I will have for AT LEAST five years, and that will satisfy my needs for that time. HDMI 1.3 is big because it's so damn convenient. Also I anticipate expanding my audio into all of the "new", lossless, and high def stuff. Seems like the 4308ci will do this for me.

NOT wanting to turn this into a "best AVR" thread, but any more opinions would be great. I may have missed this aspect of the discussion elswhere in the thread, but I think the "good AVR to mate JBL's with" is a worthwhile topic to chew on for a while.
post #816 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Doc,

I have a 3806 and there's a damn good blending with my E Series all'round.
IMO, more and more the word "bright" doesn't make sense to me with these new crop of AVR's (such as the soon-to-be-yours 4308 ).

Keep in mind that with the MAN EQ option, you can trim all the freq. the way it sounds best to your ears though.

My $0.2 anyway.

Regards, Chuck

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #817 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

I got the Voice and Arenas and the HK AVR 247 set up now. All I need is the sub and the Tours and the cables!

I suppose I took the term bookshelf a little too literally, hmm? Hmm! Screw it, they work just fine.

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
post #818 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 01:38 PM

Liked: 11
time tot ake those stickers off your TV and get some furniture
post #819 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Meh...I'm good...

post #820 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 01:49 PM

At least the stickers???
post #821 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Too Funny

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #822 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

I've never really minded the stickers.

post #823 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFKevin View Post

I suppose I took the term bookshelf a little too literally, hmm? Hmm! Screw it, they work just fine.

JBL bookshelf speakers aren't usually bookshelf size.
I never knew why they called the L100 a bookshelf speaker, they were almost as big as my L55s.
post #824 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I got the Voice and Arenas and the HK AVR 247 set up now. All I need is the sub and the Tours and the cables!

Man... you should look at the Monitors instead of the Tours. They'll match your Arenas perfectly and have a bigger mid-range driver than the Tours. $90 a pair, shipped from bhphotovideo.com (very long-time customer, I'll vouch for them).

Those Arenas look HUGE. I've got a new system here, all Venues:
2x Stadium - front L/R
1x Voice - center
1x SUB12 - LFE
4x Monitor - L&R surround and L&R rear surround (ceiling mounted).

Sounds fantastic to my ears - driving it all with a Yamaha RX-V1800.

I've replaced all the grills with home-made jobs (long story). Need to go take pictures.
post #825 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, the Arenas ain't small, but boy, they're neat lookin'. I looked at the Monitors, I dunno, I'm sure I'll be happy with the Tours. They're wall mountable. But yeah, B&H was FANTASTIC! I got everything by the Voice from them.

So you're happy with your Sub12? I got the Sub10, the 12's just too damn big for my tastes.

post #826 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the Arenas ain't small, but boy, they're neat lookin'. I looked at the Monitors, I dunno, I'm sure I'll be happy with the Tours. They're wall mountable. But yeah, B&H was FANTASTIC! I got everything by the Voice from them.

So you're happy with your Sub12? I got the Sub10, the 12's just too damn big for my tastes.

I'm quite pleased with the whole system. Bought the speakers from B&H and the receiver from Crutchfield. MANY trips to Home Depot and a few trips to the attic to get it all installed. Mostly done now, here are a couple of pics:

Left channel surrounds (Monitors with black grills):

Here's the front (no flat panel HD TV...yet):

Some earlier (last month) pictures here:
http://home.comcast.net/~tatanka02/stereo/

Still fighting the grill on the Voice speaker because it's curved. I'm real impressed with the audio, though.

BTW... those are a pair of Kenwood KL55's up top. Bought those when I was in High School in the early 70's. Up until a month or so ago, they were being driven by a 1988 vintage Pioneer rack system. Wife says it's time for them to go and I think I have the perfect home for them.
post #827 of 15317 Old 10-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, looks like you have quite the setup! Nice piano, too.

I stared at the speakers pretty much all night while my girlfriend watched The Hitcher. I paid attention too, but I just kept looking at them. They were staring at me, taunting me, wanting to play, but nope, nothin' doin'. Oh, what torture this is.

ANyhoo, I don't mind the silver grilles at all, actually. I tried with and without and I find without the grilles, my attention is drawn towards the speakers, not the TV. With the grilles, not a problem. Strange.

post #828 of 15317 Old 10-31-2007, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the informative posts all!

I due to receive my speakers next week and if i found this site sooner I would have asked you guys for your opinion prior to placing the order. Here is the setup to be...

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR605
Center: JBL Performance Series PC600
Fronts: JBL Studio L Series L890
Surrounds: JBL Studio L Series L830 (Coming soon)
Rears: JBL Studio L Series L830 (Coming soon)

I will be using some old Klipsch speakers for my surrounds until I finish the system.

Being new to the HT scene, my question is how will the L890's pair with the PC600. I know a few of you guys are sporting complete Performance Series systems in your HT and would like some advice. Also, the center speakers will be around 2ft or so above the height of the main left and rights. Will this be an issue?

Thanks in advance for any input. I can't wait for the speakers to come in!
post #829 of 15317 Old 10-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Hold the phone...

You really need to match your fronts and your center. Mix and matching those 3 speakers is not going to blend very well.

If you can change one of those two options, I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzasta View Post

I due to receive my speakers next week and if i found this site sooner I would have asked you guys for your opinion prior to placing the order. Here is the setup to be...

I will be using some old Klipsch speakers for my surrounds until I finish the system.

Being new to the HT scene, my question is how will the L890's pair with the PC600. I know a few of you guys are sporting complete Performance Series systems in your HT and would like some advice. Also, the center speakers will be around 2ft or so above the height of the main left and rights. Will this be an issue?

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at http://realht.info, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/realhtinfo/videos
post #830 of 15317 Old 10-31-2007, 08:20 PM

Is there anyway to wall mount the Venue's Monitor series? I hear they have no option for screws or brackets. Since they don't have the option I was thinking on getting the Balcony ones for surround.

Any help is appreciated.
post #831 of 15317 Old 10-31-2007, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimonagas View Post

Is there anyway to wall mount the Venue's Monitor series? I hear they have no option for screws or brackets. Since they don't have the option I was thinking on getting the Balcony ones for surround.

Any help is appreciated.

You can't LINK Amazon, it gets screwed everytime. You can buy mounts to mount just about any speaker, but you'll have to end up putting screw holes in the speaker cabinet somewhere. They do make some mounts also that act as a clamp on the sides of the speakers, but I don't like the way they look. Then there is always the idea of making some custom shelves to set the speakers on. That is what I was going to do with my E50s, but I just couldn't ever find the time to do it (so much for carpentry skills). I finally found a solution that worked (without mangling the speakers with screws). They actually look better than what I thought they would.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=249-020

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #832 of 15317 Old 10-31-2007, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

You can't LINK Amazon, it gets screwed everytime. You can buy mounts to mount just about any speaker, but you'll have to end up putting screw holes in the speaker cabinet somewhere. They do make some mounts also that act as a clamp on the sides of the speakers, but I don't like the way they look. Then there is always the idea of making some custom shelves to set the speakers on. That is what I was going to do with my E50s, but I just couldn't ever find the time to do it (so much for carpentry skills). I finally found a solution that worked (without mangling the speakers with screws). They actually look better than what I thought they would.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=249-020

I did the same thing with my E50s and it worked just fine.

Bill
post #833 of 15317 Old 11-01-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugovector View Post

Hold the phone...

You really need to match your fronts and your center. Mix and matching those 3 speakers is not going to blend very well.

If you can change one of those two options, I would.

Thanks Eugo,

But the order was already placed. I have a friend who works for Harman and he got me an sweet deal through his employee discount (75% off retail). I didn't have the cash to get a complete PS setup AND I liked the fact that the L890's are full range so I wouldn't need to get a dedicated sub right off the bat. That was my logic. I've read that the center channel is the most important for HT use so I decided to go with the PC600 instead of the LC2.

I hope everything works out...
post #834 of 15317 Old 11-01-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Eugo,

But the order was already placed. I have a friend who works for Harman and he got me an sweet deal through his employee discount (75% off retail). I didn't have the cash to get a complete PS setup AND I liked the fact that the L890's are full range so I wouldn't need to get a dedicated sub right off the bat. That was my logic. I've read that the center channel is the most important for HT use so I decided to go with the PC600 instead of the LC2.

I hope everything works out...

The problem you're most likely to have is voice not matching between the L890s and the PC600. The PC600 is all TI drivers, whereas the L890s do have a Ti tweeter, but, the mid-range and bass are PolyPlas drivers. So there will be a difference.
Both the PS and Studio L Series are very good systems, and I've had both, but I wouldn't mix the two in the same setup.
post #835 of 15317 Old 11-01-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimonagas View Post

Any help is appreciated.

See my pictures (just above) in this thread. Those are ceiling mounted Monitors. Yes, you do have to drill holes in the back.

For the main surrounds, I used OmniMounts from Circuit City (about $40 for a pair). On these, I drilled the mounts between the ports and the terminal cups about in the middle of the speakers.

For the back surrounds, I bought a pair of Bently mounts from B&H at about half the price ($20 a pair). These are mounted without the extension piece and the mount is above the port.

I think if I was doing a wall mount, I'd go with a simple shelf, or just mount them with shelf brackets. The mounts I used work okay for ceiling stuff because you're dealing with "hanging weight" and the balance works fairly well with making the speakers point downward. The Monitors weigh about 7.5 pounds apiece and the mounts I used are rated at 8 pounds. Feels a little "iffy" but they're holding up fine.

I really preferred the Monitors over the Balconys just for the larger midrange driver. They sound great!

Ultimately, any speaker mounting situation is an exercise in creativity, and you'll have to figure out the trade-offs in your own situation. The Balcony is made to wall-mount with slotted screw mounts. Done "per spec," any aiming is about impossible, so you'll have to be a little careful about how you place them. No reason it won't work fine, though.
post #836 of 15317 Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

If you're looking for speaker mounts, go to monoprice. Cheap ones are $5/pair, Heavy duty metal are $10.

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at http://realht.info, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/realhtinfo/videos
post #837 of 15317 Old 11-01-2007, 06:08 PM

Gotta love monoprice
post #838 of 15317 Old 11-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

I finally put together everything, the Tours and the Sub10 arrived today, and the first thing I played was Superman Returns in True HD.

I couldn't be any happier. The Venues are incredible. These are the first speakers I've gotten that weren't part of a package HTiB deal, so you can imagine how different the sound experience was.

The Arenas are amazing, the Voice is VERY clear, and the Tours, though a lot smaller, are really quite great. The wallmounting technique looks pretty damn good, and the sound they produce is just as good.

The Sub10 is incredible, too. It does exactly what I want it to do and it does it very well.

Watching Superman Returns in True HD was almost beyond words. I couldn't believe my ears. I can't believe what I've been missing!

Thanks for all the help, folks, you've pushed me into a wonderful realm of home theater and I ain't never lookin' back! Yeeeehaw!

post #839 of 15317 Old 11-02-2007, 05:51 AM

What setup are you running in order to play True HD. What HD player do you have and what receiver?
post #840 of 15317 Old 11-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

HD-A20 and the Harman Kardon AVR 247. I set the HD player's Digital Out SPDIF to PCM and HDMI to auto. Lo and behold, beautiful multichannel PCM.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Jbl , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Center Channel Speakers , Athena
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page