Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 15605 Old 12-05-2007, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by piturra View Post

Meanwhile, my Yamaha RX-V1300 works great with my Toshiba HD-A35 HD DVD player via 6-CH Analog Audio Connection for TrueHD 5.1 & Dolby Digital Plus 5.1!!!

piturra, my HD-A35 should be here tomorrow. I also have an older yamaha receiver, older thna yours and not as advanced, but still for now it does the job until I upgrade. I also will be using the analog outs of the A35 to the analog inputs of my Yamaha. The yammy cannot do any kind of manipulation when its using the ext. decoder option to use the analog inputs, so the bass management needs to be done int he A35 right? Im guessing you had to recalibrate the levels with your RS SPL meter using the A35's menu? How is the bass level? I heard alot of peopel saying the bass level on the analog outputs was low with the A35?

Thanks for any replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 15605 Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFyre22 View Post

piturra, my HD-A35 should be here tomorrow. I also have an older yamaha receiver, older thna yours and not as advanced, but still for now it does the job until I upgrade. I also will be using the analog outs of the A35 to the analog inputs of my Yamaha. The yammy cannot do any kind of manipulation when its using the ext. decoder option to use the analog inputs, so the bass management needs to be done int he A35 right?

That's correct!

Quote:

Im guessing you had to recalibrate the levels with your RS SPL meter using the A35's menu? How is the bass level? I heard alot of peopel saying the bass level on the analog outputs was low with the A35?

Thanks for any replies!

I have no complaints about the LFE / bass from either my HD-A1 since Day-1 and my NEW HD-A35 because, ... if you understand the process of Audio REFERENCE Calibration (from doing it for previous DVD Players since 1999), ... examining the Toshiba HD DVD player reveals that they have all the necessary tools to REFERENCE CALIBRATE YOUR AUDIO!!!

Our older Yamaha AV Receiver's do not have the TrueHD 5.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1 decorder chips, ... they didn't exist prior to the HD Hi-RES Audio specifications.

So, Toshiba put those TrueHD 5.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1 decorder chips along with the following adjustments, ...

1) Size / Distance,
2) Individual 5.1 SPL Level Controls
3) Built-in Internal Test Tones (playback level = 75 dBc)

... in ALL their HD DVD players.

HD DVD Players w/6-CH OUTputs, ... can be used with the older AV Receivers w/6-CH INputs, ... to hear & experience those NEW Hi-RES Audio Formats.

--------

So, after I was done installing my HD-A35, ... I followed the same process that I used when I got my Toshiba HD-A1 last August 2006 ...

HD-A35: SETUP / AUDIO / Speaker Setting 5.1

NOTE 1:
Since I wanted my LFE approx. 10 dBc higher vs. Center, Front & Side Surrounds, I immediately lowered the Center Channel = -12 and then REF Calibrated the remaining speakers (Size / Distance already set) using the HD-A35 internal Test Tones. (RS Meter Dial = 70 / Weight = C / Speed = SLOW)

Results: Test Tones = 75 dBc** all-around except LFE
Front Left: .....-7 dB
Center: .........-12 dB
Front Right: ...-7 dB
R Surround: ...-5 dB
L Surround: ...-5 dB
Subwoofer: .... 0 dB (default)

**Verified w/Digital Video Essentials TrueHD 5.1 HD DVD Test Tones.

----

NOTE 2: The HD-A35 default setting for "Dynamic Range Control" (SETUP / AUDIO) = ON.

.... Change "Dynamic Range Control" = OFF!!!

----

Afterwards, I played "Transformers" - all the really fun scene's vs. the Decepticons and verified that @ -10 dBc below REF LEVEL (approx. 105 dBc to 106 dBc Fast LFE SPL Peaks), the sub-sonic bass impact moved the floor, couch, walls, chairs and pant-legs (SVS trait ) when the encoded LFE channel called for it!!!
post #1083 of 15605 Old 12-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzy View Post

Flipping the tweeter to the bottom position will affect sound. I have a pair as my fronts, they are also located above me. I tried them in every configuration and prefer them with the tweeter up. Dispersion seemed "aggrivated" with the tweeter at the bottom. I actually prefer my speakers above me aimed down against ear level.

For Front Application, ... I can see why the sound was effected by flipping over your E50s.

If you think about it, the Front Channels carries all the Main Movie Dialog and Front Channel panning effects. Keeping the tweeter above the mid's is the designed intent of the E50s!

All the dialog details and clarity is above 2 kHz and hence, the tweeter is above the mid-range speaker and if possible, should be as high (floor standing stands) or aimed (high wall-mount) @ your seated ear level. Same with the Center, low floor stand tilt up, ... above HDTV cabinet, ... tilt down.

FYI: Even though the E50s manual states that they can be installed vertically, ... it's a compromise for the consumer because of living space limitations. The correct orientation of the E50s is horizontal ONLY!

---------

PRO Design Roots

The E50s design is based on JBL Pro LSR6332 Studio Monitor and they are designed & installed with the tweeters above the mids.

In a Mixing Studio, the JBL Pro LSR6332 Studio Monitor Front Channels are arranged in a straight line @ ear level for the Sound Engineer.

-------

Now, the JBL Pro LSR6332 Studio Monitor is actually design for horizontal or vertical placement because ...

... Midrange/high frequency sub-baffle may be rotated by user for horizontal or vertical orientation.

Here's what it looks like after rotating the Midrange/high frequency sub-baffle for vertical use ...

---------

Now, back to Smarty-pants surround application:

It's a different sonic environment for the Side & Rear Center Surround. Although some distinct pin-point dialog might be placed at one or more of the surround speakers, ... the surround primary use if for discrete 5.1 - 6.1 effects - sound design to place you in the middle of a concert hall, ... large stadium or in the middle of a fire-fight like in "Transformers".

Flipping over the E50s @ those surround locations is not as critical as the Dialog driven Front Channels. Any dialog routed to the surrounds is for effects, ... not to clearly develop a movie plot (if any) like the Front Soundstage Channels.

Experiment though, is the key since everyone's HT/family/living room is different! Not everyone can place their 5.1 -7.1 HT Speakers in the optimum location unless your one of the fortunate ones that converted their basement for Home Theater.
post #1084 of 15605 Old 12-05-2007, 01:39 PM

Liked: 10
I'm considering the jbl L studio series for a 5.1 setup. I was thinking about matching all 5 speakers the same. Anyone using the L820 on speaker stands for fronts and surrounds? Just wondering how they look on stands, being shallow in depth, and the width being greater than the height. If I got 4 of these I would mate them with the lc2 center.

Or I was thinking about buying 3 pair of the L830 and using one for the center. In my mind these would look better on stands, and the L830 as a center would be okay on my crt rptv. I would just have an extra one on hand this way, for now and just get the LC1 in the future if I go 7.1.

Its just that the L820's have that midrange too, and sound quality is just as important as how they would look on stands. Anyone actually been able to compare the sound of the L830 vs the L820? Pretty much the same?

I have a subwoofer that I am more than happy with, ( 4 driver infinite baffle.)

If anyone has a photo of their L820's in an HT setup on stands, please post a shot of it.
Thanks

Angelo
post #1085 of 15605 Old 12-05-2007, 04:13 PM

I'm looking for some advice on which JBL speakers I 'need' to update my system to 7.1 as I just bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi

Currently I have:

Front L/R - JBL S310
Surround - JBL S36
Center F/R - JBL S-Center Series 2

I'm looking at the 6" JBL Venue speakers, which I can use either for surround or rear surround. Or of course the L-Series (probably the L820). I simply want a good blend with my current setup, and whilst wanting to limit the spend, I will spend the extra to achieve this blend. It doesn't matter what the speaker looks like as everything is hidden - it's a custom HT room.
I'm wondering if the Venue speakers as surrounds are more than adequate, especially when my new reciever has some fancy audio setup that adjusts speaker level etc to give the best surround sound?
Thakns for all and any advice.
post #1086 of 15605 Old 12-05-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post

I'm considering the jbl L studio series for a 5.1 setup. I was thinking about matching all 5 speakers the same. Anyone using the L820 on speaker stands for fronts and surrounds? Just wondering how they look on stands, being shallow in depth, and the width being greater than the height. If I got 4 of these I would mate them with the lc2 center.

Or I was thinking about buying 3 pair of the L830 and using one for the center. In my mind these would look better on stands, and the L830 as a center would be okay on my crt rptv. I would just have an extra one on hand this way, for now and just get the LC1 in the future if I go 7.1.

Its just that the L820's have that midrange too, and sound quality is just as important as how they would look on stands. Anyone actually been able to compare the sound of the L830 vs the L820? Pretty much the same?

I have a subwoofer that I am more than happy with, ( 4 driver infinite baffle.)

If anyone has a photo of their L820's in an HT setup on stands, please post a shot of it.
Thanks

The L820s are the best choice for using identical speakers all around, and are basicly the same speaker as the LC2. Those are also wall mountable.
I don't think I've seen a photo of them on stands.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
post #1087 of 15605 Old 12-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webwalker View Post

I'm looking for some advice on which JBL speakers I 'need' to update my system to 7.1 as I just bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi

Currently I have:

Front L/R - JBL S310
Surround - JBL S36

I'm looking at the 6" JBL Venue speakers, which I can use either for surround or rear surround. Or of course the L-Series (probably the L820). I simply want a good blend with my current setup, and whilst wanting to limit the spend, I will spend the extra to achieve this blend. It doesn't matter what the speaker looks like as everything is hidden - it's a custom HT room.
I'm wondering if the Venue speakers as surrounds are more than adequate, especially when my new reciever has some fancy audio setup that adjusts speaker level etc to give the best surround sound?

Timbre-Matched Speakers:
1) Made by the same Speaker Manufacture
2) Tweeters Size, Design and Material are Identical within Timbre-Matched Series.

For 100% Timbre-Matched Seamless Surround, ... the ideal is ALL Identical Speakers around you.

For 90% - 95% Timbre-Matched Seamless Surround, ... a Timbre-Matched Center and the remaining Front R&L, Side R&L Surround and Rear Center Surround R&L are ALL Identical Speakers.

If I understand correctly, you already have 6 speakers ...

Quote:

Front L/R - JBL S310
Surround - JBL S36

So, I'm assuming that you want to replace the Rear Center JBL S-Center???

If that's the case, ... the JBL 6" ARENA (?) Venue Series is not really Timbre-Matched to the S-Series due to the smaller 3/4" Titanium-laminate Tweeter vs. S-Series 1" Pure Titanium Dome Tweeter.

I'd recommend another JBL S36 for the Rear Center Channels - $499 (pair) +SH from Harmon Audio for the Rear Center Surround Channels.
post #1088 of 15605 Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 PM

...."The L820s are the best choice for using identical speakers all around, and are basicly the same speaker as the LC2. Those are also wall mountable.
I don't think I've seen a photo of them on stands."....

Thats a point I forgot to ask about. Are the L820's designed to perform best wall mounted? Or the same, say 2-3 feet out from the front wall. I can't do wall mounted with my set up. One speaker would have to hang on the living room window.

Angelo
post #1089 of 15605 Old 12-05-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

Currently I have:

Front L/R - JBL S310
Surround - JBL S36

Very similar to my own setup, except I have the S312 towers. I got the Venue Arena series, which are an almost exact match for the S-36. My Yamaha AVR did it's auto-setup and the results are wonderful, you can hear no difference between the S36 and Venues. I recommend that if your AVR offers the option to match your surrounds to the main towers, you use that option rather than balancing all speakers to a single response curve. Also, I recommend you set all 7 speakers to "large" whether you are using a sub or not. They can handle it.
post #1090 of 15605 Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Very similar to my own setup, except I have the S312 towers. I got the Venue Arena series, which are an almost exact match for the S-36. My Yamaha AVR did it's auto-setup and the results are wonderful, you can hear no difference between the S36 and Venues. I recommend that if your AVR offers the option to match your surrounds to the main towers, you use that option rather than balancing all speakers to a single response curve. Also, I recommend you set all 7 speakers to "large" whether you are using a sub or not. They can handle it.

Thank you!!! My decision is made.
post #1091 of 15605 Old 12-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

I couldn't find much information on these on the net, and only two quick references in this thread, so here we go.

JBL Cinema Vision CVSAT50-Z speakers.. any good? Prices are pretty low on the net (eBay), especially considering the sound and vision magazine review of the HT setup these speakers were originally grouped with noted the whole shebang cost ~$15,000! I'm looking for a pair of front speakers for a quick 2.0 setup to temporarily replace the aweful speakers in my new plasma until I can integrate the tv with the HT setup used in conjunction with my projector. thanks
post #1092 of 15605 Old 12-05-2007, 10:07 PM

Kindof a long way off here, but Looking at using some (7) JBL PRX535 speakers and a 7.1 channel amp with XLR outputs. (and probably 2 JBL PRX518S subs) in a 22x18 foot Home theater Room. Can anyone tell me what I could expect from this set up? Do Pro speakers sound clean at indoor volume? And does anyone have experience with these speakers.

My "Route 66 Basement Theater" Build Thread
post #1093 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the response Piturra it was very helpful! My A35 should get here tomorrow, so time to head to Radio Shack and snag a decibel meter.

I have JBL Studio L820's for left and right mains, and the LC2 as center. What "size" should I choose for them in the A35 setup? I would use the spl control to get them all to 75 db and I would imagine that its essential to set the distance setting up correctly so when it does processing for timing and synch between speakers it all works well?
post #1094 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 11:23 AM

So...I went online to B&H and ordered the wrong speaker!! DUH! I ordered the 5" Venue Monitor series (instead of the Arena) which has the same watts but instead of 68-20hz it's 50-20hz.
Would these be ok, or should I send them back and get the Arenas?
post #1095 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So...I went online to B&H and ordered the wrong speaker!! DUH! I ordered the 5" Venue Monitor series (instead of the Arena) which has the same watts but instead of 68-20hz it's 50-20hz.
Would these be ok, or should I send them back and get the Arenas?

It's up to you. My impression was that the monitors were a cheaper speaker. The Arena is over 2x as heavy, which should tell you something. So I'm saying that the Arena is a better match for your S36's. However, an AVR with a good setup routine might compensate for the differences. In the back surround position, the demands are not great.
post #1096 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Arena (6" Venue Series) speakers are a substancial upgrade from the Monitor (5" Venue Series) speakers... IMHO.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1097 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Arena (6" Venue Series) speakers are a substantial upgrade from the Monitor (5" Venue Series) speakers... IMHO.

No question about it. But I can't help wondering if the difference would be readily apparent in the back surround position, with adequate setup. The difference would be noticeable in 7-ch stereo modes though.
post #1098 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

What do you guys use to mount the Arena's on the wall? I am thinking of getting these, and need to mount them on the wall.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #1099 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the response Piturra it was very helpful! My A35 should get here tomorrow, so time to head to Radio Shack and snag a decibel meter.

Your welcome!!! I've heard that some Radio Shack's have limited on-hand stock of the Analog SPL Meter, so I'd recommend calling your favorite RS 1st before you drive over there.

Quote:

I have JBL Studio L820's for left and right mains, and the LC2 as center. What "size" should I choose for them in the A35 setup?

Excellent speakers!!!

I'm asumming that you have a powered-sub, ... and since you have an older Yamaha AV Receiver, ... you probably have a fixed 90Hz x-over like my RX-V1300.

Toshiba HD-A35:

SETUP / AUDIO / Speaker Setting 5.1ch
1) Speakers = SMALL
2) Crossover Setting = 120 Hz**

**Home Theater Magazine confirmed w/objective frequency charts, ... that if you have multiple (2 or more) x-overs active (power-sub & AV REC/AMP) @ the same frequency point, ex. 80Hz, ... the result of BOTH ACTIVE x-over's was at least a -10 dB frequency response DROP @ the 80Hz x-over point.

Hence, they recommended just letting the AV REC/AMP handle the x-over duties between the powered-sub > speakers and TURN-OFF the powered-sub, ... or if you can't Turn OFF the sub's x-over control, ... just pick the highest value, ... usually 150 Hz.

I have my SVS 25-31PCi x-over = OFF

ANOTHER X-OVER CONTROL in the HD DVD Players:
Now, ... since I can't Turn-OFF the x-over from either the HD-A1 or HD-A35, ... I have the x-over = 120 Hz

This is high enough not to effect my Yamaha Fixed 90 Hz x-over and cause a -10 dB mid-bass drop.

Quote:

I would use the spl control to get them all to 75 db and I would imagine that its essential to set the distance setting up correctly so when it does processing for timing and synch between speakers it all works well?

Yes, ... and yes! Place your tripod w/SPL meter @ your 'sweet spot', SPL meter tilted 45-degree or 50-degree towards your Center Speaker & raised to seated ear height (which is basically where you personally watch your HDTV by yourself), ... and measure all your speaker(s) distance from the speaker baffle to the SPL Meter microphone.
post #1100 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piturra View Post

I'm asumming that you have a powered-sub, ... and since you have an older Yamaha AV Receiver, ... you probably have a fixed 90Hz x-over like my RX-V1300.

Once again thanks for all the great info!!

I thought that when you chose ext. decoder button on my yamaha to use the analog discrete channel inputs, it couldnt apply any of the DSp settings or do any kinda of management on it, including bass management and redirection, it only just amplified whatever it saw on each of the channel inputs. Which is why you have to do your channel volume calibration settings inside the A35 and not via the receiver itself? If thats the case then the yamahas fixed x-over wouldnt be in use?

I could be wrong, but thats what Ive gathered from what Ive read and seen so far...
post #1101 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Once again thanks for all the great info!!

I thought that when you chose ext. decoder button on my yamaha to use the analog discrete channel inputs, it couldnt apply any of the DSp settings or do any kinda of management on it, including bass management and redirection, it only just amplified whatever it saw on each of the channel inputs. Which is why you have to do your channel volume calibration settings inside the A35 and not via the receiver itself? If thats the case then the yamahas fixed x-over wouldnt be in use?

I could be wrong, but thats what Ive gathered from what Ive read and seen so far...

Just checked my Yamaha RX-V1300 manual and looks like I mis-read the INFO (wrong section) (yeah, gettin' old & forgot about that), ... so in that case, ... set the Toshiba HD-A35 x-over @ 80 Hz!!!
post #1102 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post

...."The L820s are the best choice for using identical speakers all around, and are basicly the same speaker as the LC2. Those are also wall mountable.
I don't think I've seen a photo of them on stands."....

Thats a point I forgot to ask about. Are the L820's designed to perform best wall mounted? Or the same, say 2-3 feet out from the front wall. I can't do wall mounted with my set up. One speaker would have to hang on the living room window.

JBL calls the L820 a wall mount, whereas the L810 is a bookshelf/wall mount and the L830 is just a bookshelf.
All speakers will sound different between being wall mounted or free standing. There is nothing saying you can't put the L820 on a stand.
The L830 goes a bit lower, put if using the THX xo of 80 htz it makes no difference.
I like the L820 because it has the same 4-way array as the LC2, just minus one 6" driver.
Ya, pesky windows, doors, and entertainment centers can screw up speaker placement.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
post #1103 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have JBL Studio L820's for left and right mains, and the LC2 as center. What "size" should I choose for them in the A35 setup? I would use the spl control to get them all to 75 db and I would imagine that its essential to set the distance setting up correctly so when it does processing for timing and synch between speakers it all works well?

The "size" for all speakers should be set to "small" unless you have speakers that can be run full range, no matter what you use for a source.
Yes, getting the distances set correctly will give you the best sound, and using a spl meter to get the levels the same.

post #1104 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

No question about it. But I can't help wondering if the difference would be readily apparent in the back surround position, with adequate setup. The difference would be noticeable in 7-ch stereo modes though.

I run Monitors for surround and rear surround. Stadiums / Voice / SUB12 in front. The Monitors sound GREAT in this setup (amazing for their size and price), but I'm sure the Arenas would be better. I haven't noticed a great improvement by going with the extra pair of Monitors for rear surround.

In my situation, all the surround stuff is ceiling mounted. You can just barely do this with the Monitors using the "cheapie" Omnimount-type mounts. The Arenas would be way too heavy for this. As is, you have to drill holes in the speakers for this type of mounting -- the Monitors and Arenas are really designed for bookshelves. For wall-mounting, I'd install small shelves and just put the speakers on the shelves.
post #1105 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 05:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post

For wall-mounting, I'd install small shelves and just put the speakers on the shelves.

For now, I have 2 Series 2500's mounted with some interlocking thing (I honestly can't remember, they have been mounted for 10+ years), and I did have to put some holes in them.

I will look at some shelves (and earthquake straps, since I am in Southern California, and I don't want my wife to get hit by a falling speaker (when I get the Arenas) during a quake). 15 lbs. DAMN!!!!

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #1106 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

The "size" for all speakers should be set to "small" unless you have speakers that can be run full range, no matter what you use for a source.
Yes, getting the distances set correctly will give you the best sound, and using a spl meter to get the levels the same.

Yamaha says that if the "woofer" is 6.5 inches or larger, set it to large, otherwise, it's small. I still have a problem calling a 6.5 inch driver a "woofer."

Not trying to be combative, but I wonder about the universal wisdom of using an SPL meter for precise calibration. Being somewhat of an old fart, the hearing in my left ear is a few db down from the hearing in my right ear. In the few months that I've been reading the forums here, I've never seen this addressed. It almost seems like the first step in calibration might be a good hearing test. If this shows no real difference between left and right, then the SPL meter calibration should be golden.

I'm going to bring this up with the doc at my next physical. I'm thinking that a good hearing test might give you FR curves of your own ears. You could then set a level and EQ bias based on this; otherwise, tweak it till it sounds good.

It seems like there's an assumption that everyone's hearing is flat from DC to 18KHz or better, and I know that isn't true. Imagine speaker boutiques popping up everywhere that EQ the drivers to your hearing. Why, this'll be bigger than oxygen-free copper!
post #1107 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljanderson View Post

For now, I have 2 Series 2500's mounted with some interlocking thing (I honestly can't remember, they have been mounted for 10+ years), and I did have to put some holes in them.

I will look at some shelves (and earthquake straps, since I am in Southern California, and I don't want my wife to get hit by a falling speaker (when I get the Arenas) during a quake). 15 lbs. DAMN!!!!

I kinda regret not going with the Arenas, but there's just no way to easily mount them to a ceiling or wall. Shelves are easy, though, and I'm pretty sure you'll love the sound.

Here's the ceiling mounted Monitor (7.5 lbs on an 8 lb mount):

I've replaced all the grills on my Venues with homebrew grills.
post #1108 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
tatanka01, how do you like your Venue system? I have one too and really enjoy it a lot. It's not high-end, but it sounds pretty darn good to me. I'm running Stages/Voice for my front, and two pairs of Tours wall-mounted for my surrounds. My subs are an Infinity PS212 and SVS PB10-NSD. To me, the setup sounds great in my small 11x10x8 room .
post #1109 of 15605 Old 12-06-2007, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 154
Quote:

It seems like there's an assumption that everyone's hearing is flat from DC to 18KHz or better, and I know that isn't true.

Of course it isn't ... and to confuse the issue even more, your hearing "response curve" changes with the absolute volume. Audio Systems 097 (remedial studies.)

This line of thought makes about as much sense as trying to compensate for color blindness.
post #1110 of 15605 Old 12-07-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yamaha says that if the "woofer" is 6.5 inches or larger, set it to large, otherwise, it's small. I still have a problem calling a 6.5 inch driver a "woofer."

That's totally wrong, my mid-bass drivers are all 8", and JBL suggests "small". The real deal for weather a speaker is "large" or "small" is its FR. If the low end is at or near 80 htz, its "small". If a speaker's low end is, say, around 30~20 htz then its "large".
When setting up speakers, its always best to go with the speaker manufacturer's suggestions, not the receiver's.

Quote:
Not trying to be combative, but I wonder about the universal wisdom of using an SPL meter for precise calibration. Being somewhat of an old fart, the hearing in my left ear is a few db down from the hearing in my right ear. In the few months that I've been reading the forums here, I've never seen this addressed. It almost seems like the first step in calibration might be a good hearing test. If this shows no real difference between left and right, then the SPL meter calibration should be golden.

I'm going to bring this up with the doc at my next physical. I'm thinking that a good hearing test might give you FR curves of your own ears. You could then set a level and EQ bias based on this; otherwise, tweak it till it sounds good.

It seems like there's an assumption that everyone's hearing is flat from DC to 18KHz or better, and I know that isn't true. Imagine speaker boutiques popping up everywhere that EQ the drivers to your hearing. Why, this'll be bigger than oxygen-free copper!

I'm an old fart, myself, and I had a hearing test at Costco last march. And although my hearing dropped of sharply above 8khtz it was about the same on both ears. But those hearing tests are done with very low db. When I listen to music at normal to high levels I hear way above that 8k point.

Likewise, when I set all the speaker levels to 75db I DO hear the difference.
The fact that I have identical speakers all around would suggest that their db settings should be the same. But the surrounds L/R, BL/BR settings are a couple of db difference, between pairs. Whereas the main L/R are set to the same db level.
So is it the speakers, or my ears, it doesn't really make any difference. After they have been adjusted for the meter to read 75db, at the seated position, their sound levels all seem to be the same, when I'm seated at that position.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Jbl , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Center Channel Speakers , Athena
Gear in this thread - G200 by PriceGrabber.com