AVS Forum banner
2M views 18K replies 1K participants last post by  mfaifman 
#1 ·
Okay, after much discussion, it has been decided that this thread should be Re made in this forum. So here it is! Post all your JBL questions/opinions/set ups
here

See less See more
#10,181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteele /forum/post/19312429

I wouldn't worry as much as you seem to that you'll get crosstalk in the XPA-3 vs. three UPA-1's to the tune of $360 extra bucks, but that's me. Maybe you've got rack space you need to fill.

Good point. I also have just read how the XPA-3 has a much larger Transformer size 850VA. A poster compared it with the UPA-1 (300VA) with his speakers and the XPA-3 was noticeable fuller. Swinging towards the XPA-3 now.

#10,182 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL880 /forum/post/19313247

Good point. I also have just read how the XPA-3 has a much larger Transformer size 850VA. A poster compared it with the UPA-1 (300VA) with his speakers and the XPA-3 was noticeable fuller. Swinging towards the XPA-3 now.

I understand the review you read but you do understand that 300x3 = 900

thats greater than 850

#10,183 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/19313466

300x3 = 900 thats greater than 850

Math has never been my strong point. I think the center channel won't draw as much as the mains during big bangs in movies and there would be more to share between the two mains when in 2 ch mode for music. L880 rated 100 continuous / 400 peak, not sure how the transformer's 850VA will translate into watts. So during peak demands there is more in the well to draw on? I'm guessing that's what they call headroom? Would it be fair to say that the XPA-3 and the L880 are a good match? Sorry for the rookie questions, it's a bit of money and I do not want to screw this up.

Update: XPA-3 is ordered and on it's way!

#10,184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/19312994

If you mean the drivers:

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...=30&btnGo.y=13

The woofs will need re-foaming but the horn driver should last a long time. They're pretty rare, so the only real supply of parts will be used speakers.

Thanks again! Re-foaming? Even if it looks ok? I bet these drivers are pretty durable, true?

#10,186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL880 /forum/post/19313499

Math has never been my strong point. I think the center channel won't draw as much as the mains during big bangs in movies and there would be more to share between the two mains when in 2 ch mode for music. L880 rated 100 continuous / 400 peak, not sure how the transformer's 850VA will translate into watts. So during peak demands there is more in the well to draw on? I'm guessing that's what they call headroom? Would it be fair to say that the XPA-3 and the L880 are a good match? Sorry for the rookie questions, it's a bit of money and I do not want to screw this up.

I'm no expert so you may be right in the conclusion but the reasoning was wrong, thats all I was saying.

I am not even a JBL owner (well my surrounds are JBL my mains are JTR) but more interested in JBL as a possible money saving option (if my JTR's sell)

#10,187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasdave /forum/post/19314151

Thanks again! Re-foaming? Even if it looks ok? I bet these drivers are pretty durable, true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 /forum/post/19315194

Eventually, yes, but none of my SVAs have needed it yet. All foam surrounds are still supple and sound.

Aren't the woofs in the SVA the plain foam surround type? Anyhow, it'll depend on the exposure to UV, smoke, etc. But they *should* be OK for a while longer. Newer woofs with rubber surrounds should be expected to last longer.

#10,188 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 /forum/post/19315194

Eventually, yes, but none of my SVAs have needed it yet. All foam surrounds are still supple and sound.

Ok, thank you.

#10,189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/19315283

Aren't the woofs in the SVA the plain foam surround type? Anyhow, it'll depend on the exposure to UV, smoke, etc. But they *should* be OK for a while longer. Newer woofs with rubber surrounds should be expected to last longer.

Thanks to you as well.

#10,190 ·

stands help (8" height increase) ... dont seem to be getting nearly as much desk reflections with them up so high

they may be about 2" too high (e.g. due to adding the foam under the stands)...but not much i can do about that.

not as pretty looking as being right on the walls but it'll do for now. going to try moving the mid/tweeter array on the inside tonight ... with them on the outside i could pinpoint some of the hard panning a little too easily (with them being up a little above my ears, too)... but def an improvement over before (regarding desk reflections).

now to move all my absorption on the back wall up a bit higher

#10,191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteele /forum/post/19310677

What are those bookshelf units they've got sitting in front of them?

The look like the new Kef Q-series.

#10,192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell /forum/post/19339505

The look like the new Kef Q-series.

I can't remember, might be. They had B&W speakers in the other room where there was a HT setup. But the entire size of that dealer's office should have been all one room, then there might have been enough room for the Everest to perform at their best. Totally asinine to have $60K worth of speaker in such a complete useless, over crowded, narrow room.

#10,193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 /forum/post/19339356

they may be about 2" too high (e.g. due to adding the foam under the stands)...but not much i can do about that.

I wouldn't think you'd need that much to isolate the stands themselves. You could probably just slide a mouse pad thickness under each and be fine without putting them so high. Alternately you could always put double the rubber feet on the bottoms of the 820s in the back and single in the front to angle them down toward your listening position. I used to have my LC2 doubled in front when it was low, to angle it up toward my listening position.

#10,194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteele /forum/post/19340454

I wouldn't think you'd need that much to isolate the stands themselves. You could probably just slide a mouse pad thickness under each and be fine without putting them so high. Alternately you could always put double the rubber feet on the bottoms of the 820s in the back and single in the front to angle them down toward your listening position. I used to have my LC2 doubled in front when it was low, to angle it up toward my listening position.

could i run the L820s upside down, so the tweeter is a bit lower towards ear level?

#10,195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 /forum/post/19340684

could i run the L820s upside down, so the tweeter is a bit lower towards ear level?

That certainly can be done. I had a large pair of surrounds, wall mounted upside-down a few years ago.

#10,197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/19344520

HERE'S something we might not see again for a while. The 4319 appears to be a newer model sold in Japan. Looks pretty sweet and I'll bet it sounds the same.

Yes, those are now in Japan, there was a pair at the dealer my son and I were at listening to the Everest. We did hear a pair of 4429, also a new model, and the 4305H, at a large box store.

#10,198 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on the current JBL ES series VS The Studio II's? I've got Studio II's in my HT and my buddy was looking at setting himself up with the ES series. I've never heard the ES series so i couldnt give him any advice but told him i knew some people that probably would. Anyone have experience with both that can compare and contrast?

Also the subs in the ES series...any good? Not ever hearing the ES subs i told him if hes gonna spend a little extra do it on the sub and maybe go with something from SVS or HSU. Hes going to be using his setup for almost exclusivly HT.

We both like the L series, but those are probably going to be out of his price bracket.

Thanks guys.

#10,199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman /forum/post/19350149

Anyone have any thoughts on the current JBL ES series VS The Studio II's? I've got Studio II's in my HT and my buddy was looking at setting himself up with the ES series.

Also the subs in the ES series...any good? Not ever hearing the ES subs i told him if hes gonna spend a little extra do it on the sub and maybe go with something from SVS or HSU. Hes going to be using his setup for almost exclusivly HT.

We both like the L series, but those are probably going to be out of his price bracket.

Thanks guys.

The Studio II series would be better than the ES. But the Studio L series is the best of the three. Never auditioned the ES sub, but the Studio L 8400 sub is a good one.

Of coarse, for good bass requires two or more subs anyway. So even if getting the 8400, one would still want two, even in small rooms, to even out the bass Response thru out the room.

#10,200 ·
Somehow I got lucky with timing. As I was considering a MC setup with HT in a newly remodeled family room, the studio L lone had been out long enough for plenty of nice reviews, looked and sounded much better than most at that price point, and was affordable enough for my wife to say, go ahead. Looking back, I would have purchased two L8400 subs instead of the single, but for the space I have, it already exceeds my expectations.