post #15271 of 15295 Old 07-08-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post
I carefully avoided writing that it sounds better. I try to keep the lid on that can of worms.

My personal preference would be to pay $1000 for the 590 before spending $200 for the L890 (that's your $700 street price minus my fictional $500 rebate) because I would not be happy with the L890 having heard the 590 in the same environment.

As for the comparison with the Performance Series, I got to do a side-by-side with the Studio 530 ($600 pair JBL price) and the PT800 ($1500 each JBL price when available) in my house, and that made it a lot easier for me to sell my entire Performance system as I was downsizing for a potential move. Some of it went to Colorado, some to Oregon, some to Washington, some to new York, some to New Mexico, and even a little to California. I've loved the Performance Series for a long time, and I'm still using inverted Ti drivers in my "PT250" experiment, but the reality is that even the 530 ate the PT800's HF, midrange, and midbass lunch. I can't say what the larger models would do, but the inference is clear.

Again, some folks might still prefer the sound of the Performance Series, and I can understand why.
Wow. I'm kinda surprised at your comments. For no particular reason other than you seem to really like the Studio series.
Nothing wrong with that, but just not exactly what I expected to hear, especially such clear decisiveness over the Performance series.
Maybe some day I will get a chance to own them, but it would be several years at the least to even think about replacing my L series (which I love).
I love the sound and the form factor of how they fit in my theater room which is very tight as far as width and height.
Heck I never thought I would be able to have the L series either, but sometimes the right opportunity combined with passion
for this hobby allows things to happen sometimes. I really wouldn't be disappointed if they were the last speakers I even owned.
Mad Norseman likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15272 of 15295 Old 07-08-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-Rhino View Post
It seems you've developed a preference for horns.
Yes. It's a shock, considering how much I hate horns. I don't like the way they look, I don't like the way they feel, I don't like the way they sound...

...except when I close my eyes, they somehow sound better than what I'm comparing them to.

Of course, not just any horns. Take any of the old JBL horn systems—please! But starting with the Project Array Series, then the Everest II/K2 S9900, then the Studio 500 Series and now the M2 and LSR305/308, they've gotten progressively more compelling, to the point where the mids and highs of direct radiators just seem weak.

I've still got some direct radiator systems: L100, XPL200A, and "PT250" experiment, but the truth of the matter is the newer horns are kicking butts and taking names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Horns vs cone/dome speakers is not a new discussion. Either "value" or sound quality discussions are still pretty much an apples/oranges conversation. I think many folks would agree that the PS and Revel models have reached near the pinnacle for cone/dome type speakers. Horn technology is still evolving to some extent. I'm pretty sure I will die listening to my PS system. But if I was to dabble in horns, I think I'd go looking for some used Array 1400/1000/880/800 models before I'd fork over $1K for a 590. But then I've never seen the value in new speakers when used are available.
The Revel Ultima II Salon is clearly class-leading in direct radiated sound, and it's a speaker I wanted to own. Who knows? It still might happen. But in a direct in-room comparison I ordered the four combatants this way:
  1. JBL K2 S9900
  2. Revel Ultima II Salon
  3. JBL Everest II DD66000
  4. JBL 1400 Array

I bought a pair of K2s as a result, though the Salons were much cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Wow. I'm kinda surprised at your comments. For no particular reason other than you seem to really like the Studio series.
Nothing wrong with that, but just not exactly what I expected to hear, especially such clear decisiveness over the Performance series.
Maybe some day I will get a chance to own them, but it would be several years at the least to even think about replacing my L series (which I love).
I love the sound and the form factor of how they fit in my theater room which is very tight as far as width and height.
Heck I never thought I would be able to have the L series either, but sometimes the right opportunity combined with passion
for this hobby allows things to happen sometimes. I really wouldn't be disappointed if they were the last speakers I even owned.
You should've had your trailer backed up to my front door when I was pitching the Performance gear out!

Okay, I didn't actually pitch it out, but a ton of stuff went out at fire sale prices. I'm surprised RD wasn't out there picking up a few spares.

TBH, I still have four Cherry PT800s and a PC600 stored against future remorse. At this point, I've had no desire to take them out and listen to them. They could be the stars of a future sell-off.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #15273 of 15295 Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
The Revel Ultima II Salon is clearly class-leading in direct radiated sound, and it's a speaker I wanted to own. Who knows? It still might happen. But in a direct in-room comparison I ordered the four combatants this way:
  1. JBL K2 S9900
  2. Revel Ultima II Salon
  3. JBL Everest II DD66000
  4. JBL 1400 Array

I bought a pair of K2s as a result, though the Salons were much cheaper.
I'll wager that in 4 different rooms, each set up precisely for one of those systems, the results and preferences might have been different. Or even equal x4. Suffice it to say that differentiating those 4 candidates requires some extremely high quality source material and setup.
Putting all of them in one room is a shoddy way to treat them. What you really demonstrated was which system is the most forgiving of marginal setup.
post #15274 of 15295 Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 83
Quote:
I'll wager that in 4 different rooms, each set up precisely for one of those systems, the results and preferences might have been different. Or even equal x4. Suffice it to say that differentiating those 4 candidates requires some extremely high quality source material and setup.
Putting all of them in one room is a shoddy way to treat them. What you really demonstrated was which system is the most forgiving of marginal setup.
Oops! I forgot you were there and saw how everything was set up. You're right, there was crappy reproduction equipment (Levinson and Pass and Oppo and Wadia and Linn, ick!!) and lousy sources (FLAC and 180 gram vinyl). And, yes, the speaker placement was atrocious, what with speakers lying face-down on the floor and facing walls, and please don't mention the glass walls, concrete floors with no carpet, and the stainless steel ceiling and the Tuba Society meeting on Flight of the Bumblebee competition night in the back of the room... Oh wait, you weren't there and have no idea what transpired.

But hey, thanks for commenting!

The K2s are currently in my garage so I can sit on the hood of my Hyundai with the garage door opener in one hand and fly swatter in the other, cycling the door open and closed while I listen and swat flies. At least I think that's how you imagine me listening to them in my ignorance based on your preposterous comment above.

Sheesh, RD, I expect a little deeper thinking from you.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #15275 of 15295 Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Oops! I forgot you were there and saw how everything was set up. You're right, there was crappy reproduction equipment (Levinson and Pass and Oppo and Wadia and Linn, ick!!) and lousy sources (FLAC and 180 gram vinyl). And, yes, the speaker placement was atrocious, what with speakers lying face-down on the floor and facing walls, and please don't mention the glass walls, concrete floors with no carpet, and the stainless steel ceiling and the Tuba Society meeting on Flight of the Bumblebee competition night in the back of the room... Oh wait, you weren't there and have no idea what transpired.

But hey, thanks for commenting!

The K2s are currently in my garage so I can sit on the hood of my Hyundai with the garage door opener in one hand and fly swatter in the other, cycling the door open and closed while I listen and swat flies. At least I think that's how you imagine me listening to them in my ignorance based on your preposterous comment above.

Sheesh, RD, I expect a little deeper thinking from you.
Well....at least he didn't suggest that 'there must be something wrong with your hearing". You got off easy.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #15276 of 15295 Old 07-09-2014, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

You should've had your trailer backed up to my front door when I was pitching the Performance gear out!

Okay, I didn't actually pitch it out, but a ton of stuff went out at fire sale prices. I'm surprised RD wasn't out there picking up a few spares.

TBH, I still have four Cherry PT800s and a PC600 stored against future remorse. At this point, I've had no desire to take them out and listen to them. They could be the stars of a future sell-off.
I wish I could have been there. PS gear for sale is rare and getting more so with time. I'm dreading a failure or an incident like Mark experienced.
post #15277 of 15295 Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 AM

Liked: 31
Hello,

My JBL 530's come in today. Space is a bit tight, but I can have it roughly 1 foot from the wall. Is that good enough?

Thanks!
post #15278 of 15295 Old 07-09-2014, 10:11 AM

Liked: 13
Thumbs up

Quote:

The K2s... Hyundai...
a man with his priorities clearly in line.
post #15279 of 15295 Old 07-09-2014, 03:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post
Hello,

My JBL 530's come in today. Space is a bit tight, but I can have it roughly 1 foot from the wall. Is that good enough?

Thanks!

I have my 580 mains and 530 rears about four inches off the wall and they sound great to me. Before I got my 580's I ran the 530's up front about four inches off the wall on stands, great speakers by the way and I think you will really like those 530's.
post #15280 of 15295 Old 07-09-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Any concerns/notes matching the 530's with a Pioneer SC-1222? Also I'm considering doing an in home test between my existing Norh 4.0 Marbles, the 530's and the Diamond 10.2's. In the $500 per pair range, is there another bookshelf that would be especially wise to also home test? Or am I reasonably covered for the price range?

Listening split is about 70/30 HT to music with HT primarily BR movies and PS3/4 games, music mostly Spotify or 128 kb sampled mp3 files (all genres). Space is about 28'x16'x10'(h).
post #15281 of 15295 Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 PM

I ordered my JBL 530's via Amazon Warehouse. They are suppose to be "Like-New" condition however it is missing all the damn accessories!

Never had that happen before for a Amazon Warehouse item. I mainly would like the rubber feet and the grills that cover the speaker.

Think JBL would be willing to send me the grill for free or low fee? If not, guess I will have to return them... too bad they do not have anymore "Like-New" in stock. Grrr. :c(

Last edited by ZzBloopzZ; 07-09-2014 at 08:06 PM.
post #15282 of 15295 Old 07-09-2014, 08:52 PM

You might try calling Amazon and talking to a customer service agent, see if they will make you a deal on a new set or make this set right. If they wont help you call JBL and see what they can do. Sorry to hear this, those 530's are some good speakers, keep us posted and good luck.
post #15283 of 15295 Old 07-09-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The few times I have dealt with JBL support they have always been very helpful if they can. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #15284 of 15295 Old 07-09-2014, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question

Hi there!

I just finished my basement, and am looking for a 5.1 Home Theatre set.

What do you think of the:

JBL Studio 180 x2 for Front (or should I go for 190?)
JBL Studio 130 x2 for Rear
JBL LC2 for Center (this will placed in a cabinet/wall mount - other Centers seems to have a rear firing port ...)

Will the LC2 be OK for this?
I keep getting the impression that the Center speaker is the Most important for movies/TV

For Rear speakers ... I could go for Pillar/Wall Mount, or Ceiling mount also ..
any good JBL wall/ceiling mount you could suggest for this setup?

Not looking to spend a tonne of $, since the basement reno already costed me over $20K @.@
180/190 seems to be very good at $149 price range, non?

Oh yea .. do I need a Sub? Which would you recommend?

ANY advice is Greatly appreciated!

Oh, and any Onkyo Receiver advice?
I got one already and really like it! I got the 509 I believe.

Thx!

Last edited by Kor770; 07-09-2014 at 10:10 PM.
post #15285 of 15295 Old Today, 10:48 AM

Quote:
The few times I have dealt with JBL support they have always been very helpful if they can. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask.
JBL parts department told me they no longer make the grills for the 530. :c( At least they were very quick with response.

I will have to talk to Amazon and see what they can do.
post #15286 of 15295 Old Today, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post
JBL parts department told me they no longer make the grills for the 530. :c( At least they were very quick with response.

I will have to talk to Amazon and see what they can do.
Huh?????
I think someone may have gotten their info screwy.
How could they not have parts for the current models being manufactured and sold?
I would ask again, putting an emphasis on getting the right information.

I also just spent lots of time SEARCHING for the online parts store that used to be easily accessible.
Apparently it is gone and the ONLY way to get parts might be to call or email?
That is absolutely ridiculous. Knowing that they refuse to sell parts for your speakers,
pretty much forcing you to buy new speakers if one part breaks, will surely make me think twice about buying any more of their speakers in the future.
I can come to no other conclusion... WHERE IS THEIR PARTS STORE? I don't get it.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #15287 of 15295 Old Today, 12:58 PM

The parts department sent me a diagram with part numbers and a diagram, with arrows pointing to each part. I am 100% it is the correct part. Here is the response I received.

" Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, we no longer have these grilles available.

There are some companies that do make custom grilles. Here is a list.

Speakerworks 918-664-6299 or 800-526-8879 in Tulsa, Oklahoma
Midwest Speaker 651-645-7174 in St. Paul, Minnesota
HJS Sound 260-493-1522 in New Haven, Indiana
Orange County Speaker 714-554-8520 in Garden Grove, California
Speakerworks 602-230-0344 in Phoenix, Arizona
Custom Music House 415-388-5711 in Mill Valley, CA

I hope this helps.

Thanks & regards,

Pallavi Gupta
Parts Department
Harman International
Lifestyle Division"
post #15288 of 15295 Old Today, 12:59 PM

Anyone have Grills for the JBL 530 that they are not using? I will gladly buy them.

Would like to avoid shipping back these heavy speakers, plus they sound very good!
post #15289 of 15295 Old Today, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I finally found a parts site that is apparently some kind of secret, but here it is.
https://www.harmanaudio.com/search_b...L&MarketId=HOM
The section for the 530 shows no parts available, which is outrageous IMO.
If that is the case, I will NEVER buy the Studio series for fear of one part breaking and then have to throw the whole speaker in the trash.

EDIT: Toggling through the site, selecting random speakers that I own, used to own, or might own, every part is "NOT AVAILABLE".
Apparently JBL is just going to now screw all owners for replacement parts.
I REALLY hope I am wrong about this. Up until now I was a big JBL fan.
Hopefully my L-series never break. :/

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...

Last edited by Smarty-pants; Today at 01:13 PM.
post #15290 of 15295 Old Today, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There have been rumors for a couple years that Harman was phasing out all warehousing of parts. I suspect that drivers, crossovers and related hardware might be kept around for a while, particularly for those items with 3 and 4 digit price tags. But for entry and mid-level models I think that parts are a thing of the past. With some items that might be common to pro models, there is some hope for going through the pro parts department.

Frankly if I bought a pair that were advertised as "like new" and came without grills or hardware, they would be returned pretty fast.
post #15291 of 15295 Old Today, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I finally found a parts site that is apparently some kind of secret, but here it is.
https://www.harmanaudio.com/search_b...L&MarketId=HOM
The section for the 530 shows no parts available, which is outrageous IMO.
If that is the case, I will NEVER buy the Studio series for fear of one part breaking and then have to throw the whole speaker in the trash.

EDIT: Toggling through the site, selecting random speakers that I own, used to own, or might own, every part is "NOT AVAILABLE".
Apparently JBL is just going to now screw all owners for replacement parts.
I REALLY hope I am wrong about this. Up until now I was a big JBL fan.
Hopefully my L-series never break. :/
I recently needed a new tweeter for one of my L820s that I found had a dented tweeter after unpacking. I went to the website and found the same thing you did - all parts unavailable. However, I emailed them regarding the part (parts@harman.com) and had a response within 2 days. The part was available and it was shipped to me within a week. I would hope that would work for the Studio 5 series as well.
Smarty-pants likes this.
post #15292 of 15295 Old Today, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokbyter View Post
I recently needed a new tweeter for one of my L820s that I found had a dented tweeter after unpacking. I went to the website and found the same thing you did - all parts unavailable. However, I emailed them regarding the part (parts@harman.com) and had a response within 2 days. The part was available and it was shipped to me within a week. I would hope that would work for the Studio 5 series as well.
That's good to hear. However I think it's ridiculous that he can't get a replacement grill for a (not so cheap) speaker
that is currently being sold as the latest model in stores.
I know there are other places that sell JBL parts too, but at this point it seems to be luck of the draw if you can actually
get the part you need. Just call or email them and HOPE they have it. Not good.
I can understand this for "vintage" speakers, but for almost anything that has been manufactured in the last 10 years,
parts should be available IMO.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #15293 of 15295 Old Today, 03:30 PM

I went back and looked, and the email I sent my inquiry to was hcgparts@harman.com. Don't know if that will make any difference, but I also find it hard to believe they don't have grilles for a speaker from a current line.
Smarty-pants likes this.

Last edited by rokbyter; Today at 03:35 PM.
post #15294 of 15295 Old Today, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
There have been rumors for a couple years that Harman was phasing out all warehousing of parts. I suspect that drivers, crossovers and related hardware might be kept around for a while, particularly for those items with 3 and 4 digit price tags. But for entry and mid-level models I think that parts are a thing of the past. With some items that might be common to pro models, there is some hope for going through the pro parts department.

Frankly if I bought a pair that were advertised as "like new" and came without grills or hardware, they would be returned pretty fast.
So are the L series and Studio series considered not high end enough to bother stocking replacement parts for?
If so then that's ridiculous IMO. Those speakers cost THOUSANDS of dollars for a full set.
I'm quite sure most of the people who have paid that do not consider them to be "disposable" speakers.

I now feel like I'm one of those people making a big deal out of nothing that everyone rolls their eyes at because I'm going on and on about it,
but I think this is a big deal. If this is how they are going to treat their customers, it will almost assuredly keep me from ever buying any more
JBL speakers.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #15295 of 15295 Old Today, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suppose if one is concerned about availability of replacement parts, the best source of info would be Harman. Barring availability, you can do what JBL fans have been doing for many years and just buy used gear to part out. Generally its cheaper because you can sell what you don't need.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Jbl , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Center Channel Speakers , Athena
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page