The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 512 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15331 of 15340 Old 08-27-2014, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I'd consider moving the side surrounds up to about 60 degrees and putting the rear surrounds slightly back of where the sides are now.
Hinsoog likes this.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15332 of 15340 Old 08-27-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinsoog View Post
Hello folks! So a while ago you guys helped me decide to buy the JBL Studio 590 speakers, so a while later, now that I've perfected my setup and added all of the missing pieces, which were an amazing subwoofer and a truly amazing screen, I wanted to show them off to you!
Your room is crying out for some acoustic treatments - lots of them.
Smarty-pants and Hinsoog like this.
post #15333 of 15340 Old 08-27-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thank you guys for the compliments! I was looking forward to showing this off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Your room is crying out for some acoustic treatments - lots of them.

Ahahahaha! I actually really appreciate these critical comments as well, because while I said "perfect," I know that there is a lot of fine-tuning to look forward to. I guess I can take pleasure in knowing that there is a lot of potential yet to unlock. I hear about sound traps and putting down rugs or carpet, etc., though it's tough for me because I really hate carpet. Perhaps I can just put the smallest rugs I can get away with only in key areas. Not sure, but I have a lot of research to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
I'd consider moving the side surrounds up to about 60 degrees and putting the rear surrounds slightly back of where the sides are now.
So this is very interesting. That almost sounds like you're saying that I should make my 7.1 setup with "front wides" instead of rear surround, which is very much a temptation!

Thank you folks!
post #15334 of 15340 Old 08-27-2014, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

So this is very interesting. That almost sounds like you're saying that I should make my 7.1 setup with "front wides" instead of rear surround, which is very much a temptation!

Pretty much. Having speakers at 110 degrees is enough to convey rear locations through a wide variety of angles (think phantom image but in the rear). While 60 degrees is the most powerful angle for generating a sense of spaciousness.

Special "wides" processing isn't necessary. In a 7.1 configuration the side surrounds are usually used to convey ambiance, which is better done at 60 degrees.
Hinsoog likes this.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #15335 of 15340 Old 08-27-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hello folks! So a while ago you guys helped me decide to buy the JBL Studio 590 speakers, so a while later, now that I've perfected my setup and added all of the missing pieces, which were an amazing subwoofer and a truly amazing screen, I wanted to show them off to you!
What speaker stands (model) do you use for Studio 530's? Very nice setup btw!
post #15336 of 15340 Old 08-27-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by N'JAN View Post
What speaker stands (model) do you use for Studio 530's? Very nice setup btw!
Thank you, I appreciate that!

So I'm using Bell'O SP300 30" Speaker Stands for the surrounds, and Bell'O SP200 36" Speaker stands for the rear surrounds. I'm not sure if it makes sense to have them at slightly different heights, but I figure the rear surrounds are behind my recliners, relatively far back in the room, and I've assumed are just as much about ambience or more-so than the surrounds (which may or may not be the case depending), so it felt right to me. Those speaker stands are super-attractive to me, and I'm happy with them, but if you go for them just brace yourself for the slightly-maddening experience of getting them not to wobble slightly. A couple of mine do still have a very slight wobble after lots of tinkering. But, I feel like they are sturdy enough and definitely attractive, so they make up for it.
post #15337 of 15340 Old 08-27-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does anybody think the 520 is going to realistically go below $300, or should I just bite the bullet since it's apparently not going to be around that much longer?
post #15338 of 15340 Old 08-28-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloptersaurus View Post
Does anybody think the 520 is going to realistically go below $300, or should I just bite the bullet since it's apparently not going to be around that much longer?
Also, I noticed Amazon used to say they were getting "more in soon" but have since removed that message and it still says "only X left". Could this be the last few of these they'll get?
post #15339 of 15340 Old 08-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I found and purchased a mint barely used 520 for $200 on craigslist recently. You never know, you might find a bargain there as well.

It seems the Studio 5 series is moving to the Synthesis line which probably means you may have to purchase at the current prices as it will be even more expensive under the Synthesis line.

Last edited by 89grand; 08-28-2014 at 01:34 PM.
post #15340 of 15340 Old 08-28-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Also, I noticed Amazon used to say they were getting "more in soon" but have since removed that message and it still says "only X left". Could this be the last few of these they'll get?
I wouldn't use Amazon's stock on hand as a measuring stick.
They don't order a lot of any item that they don't sell a ton of.
If they sold like hotcakes, they would order more and keep more in stock, but due to the higher price and slower sales compared to other items,
it would not be wise of them to order a hundred of them and potentially get stuck with overstock if they don't sell.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Jbl , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Center Channel Speakers , Athena
Gear in this thread - G200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page