The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 516 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15451 of 15479 Old 10-05-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Wow, the JBL owners are not a very chatty bunch, are they?

Got my room treatments done and I've been digging through my music again. There are several discs I haven't listened to much because I just couldn't get involved with the recording with my prior speakers. The M2's have changed that with many of them by revealing a depth and clarity I didn't know was there. I'm really enjoying my collection again as many songs I know well have some elements being revealed by these speakers. Very cool.

I've been so enamored with the 2 channel with these that I have not reinstalled my subs nor do I even have my surrounds hooked up. I haven't cared in the least, lol. I'm running just the mains with a phantom center and the family hasn't even noticed anything is amiss .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15452 of 15479 Old 10-07-2014, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hows about some pics of the M2s?

also wondering, what were the last couple speakers you used as your primaries for comparison to "wow, wow, wow"
post #15453 of 15479 Old 10-07-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

My last couple of speakers were JTR 212HT's and Danley SM60F's.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141002_222751.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	299890  
4DHD likes this.
post #15454 of 15479 Old 10-08-2014, 10:56 PM

picture from the sweet spot, love it, thanks for posting! So the horn speaker has been your flavor, you didn't need to get over that apprehension seen in a lot of cone aficionados.
post #15455 of 15479 Old 10-09-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl1 View Post
picture from the sweet spot, love it, thanks for posting! So the horn speaker has been your flavor, you didn't need to get over that apprehension seen in a lot of cone aficionados.
Well, the M2 doesn't have a "horn" or "compression driver" sound. It's sweet like the best domes.

But yeah, in general, if you want high dynamics and output then dealing with compression drivers/horns is just something that you have to accept .
post #15456 of 15479 Old 10-09-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I just want to post regarding the phenomenonal support I have had from my JBL dealer(Dale Pro Audio) and from JBL themselves.

After getting the M2's in my room and settling in with them I called my dealer to have JBL come out and calibrate them to my room. Within days Sam was at my door to calibrate. Nicest guy you can imagine and VERY knowledgeable. And he just happens to be Neil Diamond's engineer.

I can't say enough about my experience and the offer was extended for another trip out if I felt it necessary. It's a level of service and support that I didn't expect quite frankly.

I'm a very happy camper.
post #15457 of 15479 Old 10-09-2014, 08:48 PM

well, Longfellow Serenade, what a great deal, How'd the calibration change the sound, considering how perfect they already sounded to you out of box..
post #15458 of 15479 Old 10-10-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody know the reason why is the increase of price on the L820? Phew!$650 per pair! Last time I checked on Amazon same speaker they have it listed for half that price. That's weird considering that's a line that is been discontinued, prices should go down not up. This is a crazy world we are living right now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
post #15459 of 15479 Old 10-10-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmspiderman View Post
Does anybody know the reason why is the increase of price on the L820? Phew!$650 per pair! Last time I checked on Amazon same speaker they have it listed for half that price. That's weird considering that's a line that is been discontinued, prices should go down not up. This is a crazy world we are living right now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Supply and demand. That happens to be the price that Harman is selling them for right now. You can find them used on eBay pretty regular.
Used to be that the different colors would sell for wildly different prices. Looks like black is about all you'll find now.
post #15460 of 15479 Old 10-10-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl1 View Post
well, Longfellow Serenade, what a great deal, How'd the calibration change the sound, considering how perfect they already sounded to you out of box..
Well, he's coming back out again because I erased his calibration accidentally. Long story. But the bass response was much better as he was able to clean up some of my room issues down there. I feel he took down the top end a bit too much. It's something that I really noticed switching from the calibration preset back to the stock preset. It took a bit of the "air" out of the top end. The idea was to make them more listenable at higher volume because using pink noise you can see a build up of mid/upper frequency stuff as the volume is ramped up. So it's a correction meant to deal with the room. I just think it might have been too aggressive for my tastes.

But it did bring the vocal range more forward and that I really liked. So the goal is to get some of that upper stuff back without losing that forward vocal quality.

The thing is that I've had a lot of speakers in my room and have done a lot of measurements. I can listen through my room issues very well after all these years, so the speakers don't need room correction for me to hear what makes speakers different. It is nice to mitigate those room issues, but the trick is not to neuter the speaker in the process.
post #15461 of 15479 Old 10-10-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Well, he's coming back out again because I erased his calibration accidentally. Long story. But the bass response was much better as he was able to clean up some of my room issues down there. I feel he took down the top end a bit too much. It's something that I really noticed switching from the calibration preset back to the stock preset. It took a bit of the "air" out of the top end. The idea was to make them more listenable at higher volume because using pink noise you can see a build up of mid/upper frequency stuff as the volume is ramped up. So it's a correction meant to deal with the room. I just think it might have been too aggressive for my tastes.
A lot of reflections and general "room mud" is also in those upper octaves, so there's always trade-offs to be made. But you might find that some additional room treatment might help "clear the air" and satisfy both the EQ and your ear. Your toe-in might be helping too. But encourage him to do the EQ at your typical volume level, as opposed to "reference" level. Some of the newer systems offer level-adjusted PEQ that changes with the levels.
post #15462 of 15479 Old 10-10-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm about maxed out on room treatments from an aesthetic standpoint. I just won't be adding more. So I have to deal with any issues electronically at this point.

But your point about volume is right on. The thing is that I don't have a "typical" volume. I go anywhere from late night whisper listening to concert level live jazz.

So I need to find a balance of correction I'm happy with. That might take a bit of experimentation.
post #15463 of 15479 Old 10-10-2014, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Your point about listening through the room is spot on. Our binaural hearing system is excellent at adapting to room acoustics. I'd honestly be hesitant to let anyone make any changes (other than baffle step related) to the M2s above the transition frequency.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #15464 of 15479 Old 10-10-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I'm about maxed out on room treatments from an aesthetic standpoint. I just won't be adding more. So I have to deal with any issues electronically at this point.

But your point about volume is right on. The thing is that I don't have a "typical" volume. I go anywhere from late night whisper listening to concert level live jazz.

So I need to find a balance of correction I'm happy with. That might take a bit of experimentation.
I solved that issue by just listening LOUD all the time. Of course I can no longer hear anything above 8K anyway. Huh?
post #15465 of 15479 Old 10-10-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
Your point about listening through the room is spot on. Our binaural hearing system is excellent at adapting to room acoustics. I'd honestly be hesitant to let anyone make any changes (other than baffle step related) to the M2s above the transition frequency.
Yea, I'm hesitant too. Luckily there are like 50 presets on the amp and it takes a minute to switch them out.
post #15466 of 15479 Old 10-10-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I solved that issue by just listening LOUD all the time. Of course I can no longer hear anything above 8K anyway. Huh?
Hehe. I'm trying to avoid that. One of the reasons I got the M2 was that I was unhappy with the low volume SQ from compression drivers. It was never involving enough at lower volumes for me and I always wanted to crank it to be satisfied. The JTR 212HT was very good in that regard, but not at the level of the M2.
post #15467 of 15479 Old 10-10-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Just bought some SCS8's, anyone else have these? Impressions?
post #15468 of 15479 Old 10-11-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey guys. The previous owner of our current house had installed a pair of JBL SP6 in-wall speakers (the ones with the swivel tweeter) in the basement living area. They are positioned rather awkwardly...he mounted them in the front part of a soffit that runs along the middle of the ceiling...they are actually facing out towards the wall-mounted TV. The only sensible place to position our couch is under the soffit, so it is hard to really hear these speakers, which are hooked up as surrounds with my current surround sound system.

I would like to re-position these speakers under the soffit, so they are projecting down toward the seating area. I am wondering if it is possible to get template cutouts for the speakers, so I can properly trace new holes to cutout of the existing drywall?

I looked and the screw "tabs" are still intact. Will I need anything else to remount these otherwise? Any help would be appreciated, as I don't have much experience with this type of stuff.
post #15469 of 15479 Old 10-11-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader3 View Post
Hey guys. The previous owner of our current house had installed a pair of JBL SP6 in-wall speakers (the ones with the swivel tweeter) in the basement living area. They are positioned rather awkwardly...he mounted them in the front part of a soffit that runs along the middle of the ceiling...they are actually facing out towards the wall-mounted TV. The only sensible place to position our couch is under the soffit, so it is hard to really hear these speakers, which are hooked up as surrounds with my current surround sound system.

I would like to re-position these speakers under the soffit, so they are projecting down toward the seating area. I am wondering if it is possible to get template cutouts for the speakers, so I can properly trace new holes to cutout of the existing drywall?

I looked and the screw "tabs" are still intact. Will I need anything else to remount these otherwise? Any help would be appreciated, as I don't have much experience with this type of stuff.
I tried searching for a printable template, but could not find one.
I would suggest contacting JBL directly, and they should be able to provide you with one (hopefully).

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i...L000012731.pdf
https://www.harmanaudio.com/search_b...L&MarketId=HOM

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #15470 of 15479 Old 10-11-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader3 View Post

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/pro...F6/RIF6_JBL_US

This is the manual for the "ll" series of the same speaker:
http://www.jbl.com/images/media/SP6II_OM_EN.pdf
post #15471 of 15479 Old 10-11-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
I tried searching for a printable template, but could not find one.
I would suggest contacting JBL directly, and they should be able to provide you with one (hopefully).

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i...L000012731.pdf
https://www.harmanaudio.com/search_b...L&MarketId=HOM
Thanks, I searched around for one, but had no luck either. It seems like it should be easy enough for me to move them if I just have that template. I have emailed JBL customer service. Hopefully they can help me.
post #15472 of 15479 Old 10-17-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does the Studio 230 sound similar to the LSR 305/308? I like the sound of the LSR 305/308, but would prefer the speakers be passive (for home theater use).
post #15473 of 15479 Old 10-17-2014, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 65
If you can pony up the extra cash, the Studio 530 is an excellent sounding speaker. The best I've owned so far, and I'd had a few. Keep an eye on Amazon, as they frequently go for under $500. I paid $475 for mine, but right now they're $599. They'll go back down again shortly. Just recently they were $449, a true steal at that price. They're easily worth the normal list price and beyond, but why pay more if you don't have to.
post #15474 of 15479 Old 10-17-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
If you can pony up the extra cash, the Studio 530 is an excellent sounding speaker. The best I've owned so far, and I'd had a few. Keep an eye on Amazon, as they frequently go for under $500. I paid $475 for mine, but right now they're $599. They'll go back down again shortly. Just recently they were $449, a true steal at that price. They're easily worth the normal list price and beyond, but why pay more if you don't have to.
Everyone seems to be saying great things about the Studio 530. Has anyone listened to both the Studio 230 and 530? Without listening to either, my nitpicks of the 530 compared to the 230 are:
- cost ($500/pair vs $400/pair)
- speaker height (the 530 is 18.4" tall vs 15" tall for the 230; I plan to use an LCR configuration with the C under my screen; there is 26" from the screen to the floor)
- increased power requirements, potentially limiting dynamic range (86db @ 6Ω for the 530 vs 88db @ 8Ω for the 230)
post #15475 of 15479 Old 10-18-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Big difference the 530 sounds alot better. And the horn drive makes the sound stage bigger and more lifelike. I am running a pair as surround but have tried and have them as fronts as well. Take the 530 u will not be disappointed.
post #15476 of 15479 Old 10-18-2014, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauceh View Post
Everyone seems to be saying great things about the Studio 530. Has anyone listened to both the Studio 230 and 530? Without listening to either, my nitpicks of the 530 compared to the 230 are:
- cost ($500/pair vs $400/pair)
- speaker height (the 530 is 18.4" tall vs 15" tall for the 230; I plan to use an LCR configuration with the C under my screen; there is 26" from the screen to the floor)
- increased power requirements, potentially limiting dynamic range (86db @ 6Ω for the 530 vs 88db @ 8Ω for the 230)

If cost, height and rated sensitivity are more important than maximum sound quality, then you should get the cheaper smaller speaker.
post #15477 of 15479 Old Yesterday, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
A question to jbl experts...
I recently "upgraded " my onkyo 906 to a marantz sr7008.
I say upgraded because it is a technical upgrade but the amp section was a drop off the cliff.
The Thx ultra 906 was a 50 lb torroid beast and the marantz is a 30 lb lightweight.
My question is...

With my system should the 7008 be ok, or should i invest in a nice 7 channel amp like the emotiva?

I have..

L830 mains.
Lc2 center.
L820 side and rears (4) total.
L8400 subs x2.

I know my speakers are small, but i do listen at loud levels and ive been used to amps like the Newcastle a965 70 lb 7channel amp, and big receivers in the past.
Will this amp in the Matantz be sufficient, especially considering im probably upgrading to l880 floor standing mains.

Last edited by JESSIE DART; Yesterday at 05:33 AM.
post #15478 of 15479 Old Yesterday, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^
I'm not sure you really need a 7 ch amp. You might find that just amping the front 3 has the desired effect, or five. Outlaw has some good values as well.
post #15479 of 15479 Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 145
^ The Marantz will probably get the job done, but will most likely sound better with a nice power amp.
I have LC2 speakers for my front stage and use an Emotiva XP3 and it sounds pretty sweet.
I still have Onkyo 805 (one year older than your 906) that I use to power surrounds and it does a very nice job
since it too is VERY powerful for an AVR.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Jbl , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Center Channel Speakers , Athena
Gear in this thread - G200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page