post #15511 of 15536 Old 10-24-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
That software is very cool. Nothing like that on the Crown. Looks like it's boosted on the low end though, not flat?
I took that pic off the JTR thread for an example. That is also a 3000, I am using a 6000. I actually have mine boosted a little more than that. That is why I said a little flat. Until I had my problems my graph looked like a fishhook LOL. Yeah that software is great. The XTi2 has similar on screen DSP software. It is actually very similar to the Behringer's, just more colorful. I usually keep the computer at my seat with that DSP running while I listening to music so I change mine quite often, I usually pepper it to taste to what I am listening to. Considering I am not using subs, the DSP has been the best and easiest way for me to adjust the bass.

Not in English!!

--

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 10-24-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15512 of 15536 Old 10-24-2014, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post
Yes, the ES25C will be a good match to the 80s.
Or a LC2 center, of the Studio L series.
JBL subs seem to not stand up well. Any brand of sub will do, its not like having to match LCRs.

As for the HK3600, it does have 4 HDMI inputs and with full 7 channel pre-outs makes it possible to add power amps, if needed.
Thanks for your advice. I would like to have 2 surround as well. My ceiling is quite low (about 7'), should I get a pair of ES30 or ES20 will do the job? Also I do need a new AVR since I'll keep the current setup with TV in living room. Someone recommended Marantz SR5008 as atmos setup is out of my budget, so I'll go with standard 7.1 setup for now. Thanks again!
post #15513 of 15536 Old 10-24-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimer View Post
Thanks for your advice. I would like to have 2 surround as well. My ceiling is quite low (about 7'), should I get a pair of ES30 or ES20 will do the job? Also I do need a new AVR since I'll keep the current setup with TV in living room. Someone recommended Marantz SR5008 as atmos setup is out of my budget, so I'll go with standard 7.1 setup for now. Thanks again!
Yes Marantz goes very well with JBL speakers.
In fact when I was in Japan, last April, I advised my son to get a Marantz AVR, the SR7007 he got for 1/2 price via Yahoo-Japan.
Then I setup his Studio L system(L890/LC2/L820)

As for the surrounds, I'd get the ES30s.
post #15514 of 15536 Old 10-26-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz... View Post
I see - very interesting. I'm wondering if this means the new 700 series monitors will have similar filters as well? Also, if the M2 filters above were disabled, I wonder if more standard correction algorithms such as Audyssey would have much success in compensating?
The 700 series, being passive, will be a bit different.

As to Audyssey and the M2's, I've tried it without success. The M2's have a ridiculous clarity that seems to be impacted by just about any EQ, and Audyssey is far too aggressive. I have been experimenting with many multiple EQ profiles over the past weeks with the M2's and have settled back to very minimal PEQ. I have found it's best to pretty much leave them alone.
post #15515 of 15536 Old 10-27-2014, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

As to Audyssey and the M2's, I've tried it without success. The M2's have a ridiculous clarity that seems to be impacted by just about any EQ, and Audyssey is far too aggressive. I have been experimenting with many multiple EQ profiles over the past weeks with the M2's and have settled back to very minimal PEQ. I have found it's best to pretty much leave them alone.
Re the 7 series, passive or bi-amped, there is nothing stopping JBL tweaking the response much like they do with the M2's, no? I personally hope that it is not the case and that we will be able to purchase these monitors without having to also buy a bunch of electronics. But, reading the press releases, I got the impression that they were selling these as complete systems. Related to this, I wonder what the "i" in LSR708i stands for? With the older LSR6328P, the "P" is for powered, while the passive LSR6332 does not have a letter attached at the end.

I've got to say, from what I have read about them, the M2's do sound pretty amazing. If I only had a larger room and the cash to spend BTW, did you try Audyssey XT32? It usually improves things, unlike earlier versions of Audyssey - for an excellent explanation of why this is the case, see

"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)
post #15516 of 15536 Old 10-27-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When it comes to playing music, as apposed to movies, I would say most any auto EQ, if not all, leaves much to be desired.
Like your M2s, my Custom212s are all about clarity. And Harman's EZset EQ on the HK AVR 3600 just plain screws up the sound. So I just leave it off.
post #15517 of 15536 Old 10-27-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Re the 7 series, passive or bi-amped, there is nothing stopping JBL tweaking the response much like they do with the M2's, no? I personally hope that it is not the case and that we will be able to purchase these monitors without having to also buy a bunch of electronics. But, reading the press releases, I got the impression that they were selling these as complete systems. Related to this, I wonder what the "i" in LSR708i stands for? With the older LSR6328P, the "P" is for powered, while the passive LSR6332 does not have a letter attached at the end.

I've got to say, from what I have read about them, the M2's do sound pretty amazing. If I only had a larger room and the cash to spend BTW, did you try Audyssey XT32? It usually improves things, unlike earlier versions of Audyssey - for an excellent explanation of why this is the case, see

"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)
"i" could be for integrated?

Yeah, I think I read that they will provide EQ presets for the 700 series for specific in-room installs.

The M2's are definitely a special speaker. Before I found the M2 I thought I would have to settle for mediocrity. They cross the line from excellent, where most highly rated speakers on this forum reside(the ones I've listened to), over to exceptional. I have discovered that most think that the rave reviews of the M2's are due to expectation bias because they are expensive. They are wrong.

As to Audyssey, I have the Pro kit and have been using it for years. So I'm very familiar with how it works and it's quirks. I've run it multiple times and it doesn't improve the M2's for music. I'm sure it would work fine for movies though.

Last edited by Gooddoc; 10-27-2014 at 06:16 AM.
post #15518 of 15536 Old 10-27-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When it comes to playing music, as apposed to movies, I would say most any auto EQ, if not all, leaves much to be desired.
Like your M2s, my Custom212s are all about clarity. And Harman's EZset EQ on the HK AVR 3600 just plain screws up the sound. So I just leave it off.
What are Custom212's? Can you provide a link?
post #15519 of 15536 Old 10-27-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What are Custom212's? Can you provide a link?
No link, their total numbers consist of one pair, that I built 12~13 years ago. Based on the original 1977 L212.
But these are mirrored imaged, with new Ti tweeters, JBL Pro 2105 mids, and Biased XOs, with upgraded parts.
post #15520 of 15536 Old 10-27-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No link, their total numbers consist of one pair, that I built 12~13 years ago. Based on the original 1977 L212.
But these are mirrored imaged, with new Ti tweeters, JBL Pro 2105 mids, and Biased XOs, with upgraded parts.
They originals have stellar reviews, I'd love to listen to them. Too bad you are not near NJ, I'd invite myself over.
post #15521 of 15536 Old 10-27-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They originals have stellar reviews, I'd love to listen to them. Too bad you are not near NJ, I'd invite myself over.
I'm about 3000 miles south.

The original L212 did have its limitations. Most of which were corrected in the design of the L250/250Ti, which succeeded the L212 as the top-o-line system.

But then in the early '90s, Greg Timbers designed a biased XO for the new K2 model and offered to L250/250Ti owners upgrades to the biased XOs, which JBL marketed as Charge-Coupled Network®.
The C-C Network as been used on every K2, Everest model since.
And it makes a huge difference, by eliminating all distortion created by the capacitors in the XO circuits.
post #15522 of 15536 Old 10-27-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm about 3000 miles south.

The original L212 did have its limitations. Most of which were corrected in the design of the L250/250Ti, which succeeded the L212 as the top-o-line system.

But then in the early '90s, Greg Timbers designed a biased XO for the new K2 model and offered to L250/250Ti owners upgrades to the biased XOs, which JBL marketed as Charge-Coupled Network®.
The C-C Network as been used on every K2, Everest model since.
And it makes a huge difference, by eliminating all distortion created by the capacitors in the XO circuits.
I have no idea what all that means, but I'm impressed nonetheless .
post #15523 of 15536 Old 10-27-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have no idea what all that means, but I'm impressed nonetheless .
In any properly operating audio circuit, the usual suspects for causing distortion are the capacitors. An audio signal has two constantly changing values, amplitude and frequency. Its these changes that cause the cap's layers to tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen. That is causing distortion.
The other form of distortion is when the signal changes polarity. As the signal crosses the zero volt line the cap is turned off momentarily. This causes a phase shift in the audio signal.
By replacing each cap in a XO with two caps, wired in series, with each @ twice the value of the original, and then a 9vdc charge applied (through a 2 megohm resistor) to the common point of each pair of caps keeps the layers tight and the audio signal above the zero volt line. Thus both forms of distortion are eliminated.

Of coarse, it also requires using the right kind of caps to provide the best possible signal.
post #15524 of 15536 Old 10-27-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In any properly operating audio circuit, the usual suspects for causing distortion are the capacitors. An audio signal has two constantly changing values, amplitude and frequency. Its these changes that cause the cap's layers to tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen. That is causing distortion.
The other form of distortion is when the signal changes polarity. As the signal crosses the zero volt line the cap is turned off momentarily. This causes a phase shift in the audio signal.
By replacing each cap in a XO with two caps, wired in series, with each @ twice the value of the original, and then a 9vdc charge applied (through a 2 megohm resistor) to the common point of each pair of caps keeps the layers tight and the audio signal above the zero volt line. Thus both forms of distortion are eliminated.

Of coarse, it also requires using the right kind of caps to provide the best possible signal.
Sounds simple enough to me... . All that matters is that it works. If it has the clarity of an M2 then I know you are enjoying them immensely .
post #15525 of 15536 Old 10-27-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have following Northridge E series JBLs in my HT. In preparation for Atmos I was looking for (preferably) matching speakers that can go preferably on-ceiling. (Not sure if Atmos need them to be matching or not).
Should I keep these speakers (they are running great) or replace the entire set along with required Atmos on-ceiling speakers (that's gonna be expensive affair)

Fronts : E80
Wides : E60
Surrounds : E10
Surround Back : E10
Center : EC25
post #15526 of 15536 Old 10-28-2014, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
"i" could be for integrated?
That was my guess as well.

Quote:
The M2's are definitely a special speaker. Before I found the M2 I thought I would have to settle for mediocrity. They cross the line from excellent, where most highly rated speakers on this forum reside(the ones I've listened to), over to exceptional. I have discovered that most think that the rave reviews of the M2's are due to expectation bias because they are expensive. They are wrong.
OK, I didn't realize that there were so many doubters. While I haven't heard them, I've read Toole's book and a lot of posts by Sean Olive. I love how they go about speaker design and testing. Sean Olive has stated that the M2's are the best speakers he has heard, so that certainly means something, to me at very least. Anyway, perhaps the up coming GTG will change people's minds.
post #15527 of 15536 Old 10-28-2014, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, I didn't realize that there were so many doubters. While I haven't heard them, I've read Toole's book and a lot of posts by Sean Olive. I love how they go about speaker design and testing. Sean Olive has stated that the M2's are the best speakers he has heard, so that certainly means something, to me at very least. Anyway, perhaps the up coming GTG will change people's minds.
Hehe, I hang with a tough crowd around here. But I admit their skepticism is what I like about them.

Who knows with the GTG. Although I think differences will be clearly heard, so few have heard them - aside from maybe 5 mins at a trade show - that I admit to wondering if it's possible it's all in my head, lol.

One forum member whose opinion I respect has recently had extended listening time with them, but hasn't posted anything as of yet about it. It will be good to hear other thoughts aside from the voices in my head.
post #15528 of 15536 Old 10-28-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sounds simple enough to me... . All that matters is that it works. If it has the clarity of an M2 then I know you are enjoying them immensely .
I have no way of knowing if the 212 has the clarity of the M2, most likely not. If the M2 were to show up at the local Harman Pro shop here in Cuenca, then I could get an audition of them.
But if Sean Olive called them the best he has heard, that's a big statement considering...K2, Everest, Arrays, Revel Salon2.

Last edited by 4DHD; 10-28-2014 at 05:10 AM.
post #15529 of 15536 Old 10-28-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have no way of knowing if the 212 has the clarity of the M2, most likely not. If the M2 were to show up at the local Harman Pro shop here in Cuenca, then I could get an audition of them.
But if Sean Olive called them the best he has heard, that's a big statement considering...K2, Everest, Arrays, Revel Salon2.
Yeah, I can only go by Olive as well as to whether they sound as good or better than any of those speakers since I haven't heard them. Based on my impressions at this point though, it doesn't surprise me. But I don't think I'm a Golden Ear, so I just keep my opinions and comparisons to what I've heard and I also realize that there will be those that will disagree about that assessment. And that's ok, speaker impressions are a very personal subjective thing, sometimes trumping all objective data pointing to a different conclusion.
post #15530 of 15536 Old 10-28-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I can only go by Olive as well as to whether they sound as good or better than any of those speakers since I haven't heard them. Based on my impressions at this point though, it doesn't surprise me. But I don't think I'm a Golden Ear, so I just keep my opinions and comparisons to what I've heard and I also realize that there will be those that will disagree about that assessment. And that's ok, speaker impressions are a very personal subjective thing, sometimes trumping all objective data pointing to a different conclusion.
For years on AVS some raved about DefTech speakers. I had not heard them until a BB/Magnolia store opened up(2000) where I lived. I was not impressed at all. Told the sales guy "they did not even come close to my JBLs."

I've heard the Everest II and Revel Salon2. The Everest need a big room and of the speakers I have auditioned, I'd take the Salon2 @ $22K/PR.
post #15531 of 15536 Old 10-28-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New to this forum, and new JBL 6332 owner. I have dabbled in the pro and amateur sound scene since the 1970s. I hesitate to use the term "Audiophile" though. I have owned and listened to a number of systems, though not in the past 15 years or so. Had to resurrect my 28 year old Threshold S500. The beast hung out in the back bedroom closet for four or five years. Re-capped it.-- It needed that in the worst way. Low ESR electrolyte caps are not cheap. Anyway, the results were dramatic to say the least. The LSR speakers are probably one of the best I have ever heard. Bad mixes sound really bad. More detail in modern recorded music then I have ever heard and more realistic sounding then anything I have ever heard in the past. I can't say enough good about them. Great engineering job JBL! I would love to here the M2 monitors, but no dealers in the area. I think the closest is Denver. Oh. I owned a pair of L110s in the seventies. They were flat transducers for that time, and I regretted trading them for a pair of Bose 901s.
post #15532 of 15536 Old 10-28-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLCNM View Post
New to this forum, and new JBL 6332 owner. I have dabbled in the pro and amateur sound scene since the 1970s. I hesitate to use the term "Audiophile" though. I have owned and listened to a number of systems, though not in the past 15 years or so. Had to resurrect my 28 year old Threshold S500. The beast hung out in the back bedroom closet for four or five years. Re-capped it.-- It needed that in the worst way. Low ESR electrolyte caps are not cheap. Anyway, the results were dramatic to say the least. The LSR speakers are probably one of the best I have ever heard. Bad mixes sound really bad. More detail in modern recorded music then I have ever heard and more realistic sounding then anything I have ever heard in the past. I can't say enough good about them. Great engineering job JBL!
Awesome - Hearing the LSR 6328's shifted all my affections to JBL, I'm a total convert now. Needless to say, I was very curious about the 6332's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLCNM View Post
I owned a pair of L110s in the seventies. They were flat transducers for that time, and I regretted trading them for a pair of Bose 901s.
Doh!

openELEC HTPC - Marantz SR6003 - Emotiva UPA1's - JBL Studio 590's - Dual SVS-PB2000's - JBL Studio 520C - JBL ES10's - miniDSP 2x4
FYI - I have NO affiliation with the media player 'Geek Wave'
post #15533 of 15536 Old 10-28-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi guys,

I have a Studio 590 with a damaged base. I live in NC just north of Raleigh. I used it while waiting for my replacement. I would like to keep it for parts just in case I have an issue with the two I have but my wife wants it moved and I don't have a place to store it. If you are interested I would sell for $400 plus freight. I would deliver to Raleigh area if needed. I can send pictures via email.

Yamaha RX3900
JBL Studio 590 7:1
SVS Ultra PB 13
Sharp LC70LE857U
Sony SACD
post #15534 of 15536 Old 10-28-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Who wants to be first?
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/c...8#.VFBf7BYhDs8

Ultra Long Excursion Very High Power Dual 18" Cinema Subwoofer

post #15535 of 15536 Old 10-29-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Who wants to be first?
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/c...8#.VFBf7BYhDs8

Ultra Long Excursion Very High Power Dual 18" Cinema Subwoofer
Yeah. If I could bring the crane (or fork lift at the least) in my house to lift that 199 lb gorilla, then may be yes...
post #15536 of 15536 Old 10-29-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Yeah. If I could bring the crane (or fork lift at the least) in my house to lift that 199 lb gorilla, then may be yes...
No big deal. An Everest weighs in at 312#.
If you're buying gear at this performance level, you already own a dolly.
mikeronesia likes this.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Jbl , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Center Channel Speakers , Athena
Gear in this thread - G200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page